Told I Should Replace My Tyres Because They Are Too Old!

Greenside

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To answer your question directly:

yes, if your tires are to old you should/must change them.

Rubber has an expire period, after that they are prone to cracking and chipping off chunks.

but if you dont go high speed (under 50km) you should be ok if you maintain it well. (depending ofcourse how old the tire is)

Yes rubber has an expire period apparently between 2 year & 20 year.biggrin.png

Have to say though I wouldn't be making a trip to the grocery store on a tire 20 years old let alone dragging it down a race track on a big heavy car ohmy.png ..

The front wheels barely touched the black top laugh.png .

Rubber has an expire period, after that they are prone to cracking and chipping off chunks.

but if you dont go high speed (under 50km) you should be ok if you maintain it well. (depending ofcourse how old the tire is)

Ninja tyres no more than 2 years. already at one year its noticable less traction, and my bikes are in a closed dark garage +22 hours a day

Ninja tyres no more than 2 years. already at one year its noticable less traction, and my bikes are in a closed dark garage +22 hours a day

Yep, and ''street'' tyres design for drag racing in street class, and of course us street warriors, perhaps would start decompose in a year ohmy.png , but remember the tread depth was a mere 7/32, if l remember correctly, and a few burnouts had it's toll.

I remember buying a pair of Hoosier 325/50x15 ''street'' drag radials that were delivered folded up and tied with string cowboy.gif, l thought, christ they will be like balloons. Good traction but a bit scarey on shut down as 10 psi was race pressure.

Yep, and ''street'' tyres design for drag racing in street class, and of course us street warriors, perhaps would start decompose in a year ohmy.png , but remember the tread depth was a mere 7/32, if l remember correctly, and a few burnouts had it's toll.

I remember buying a pair of Hoosier 325/50x15 ''street'' drag radials that were delivered folded up and tied with string cowboy.gif, l thought, christ they will be like balloons. Good traction but a bit scarey on shut down as 10 psi was race pressure.

the thing with us street warriors who do not race tracks any more is that experience compensates for our age and UV exposure. I never trusted this fact when I was young, but sure is a much better and possibly faster driver now

back to rubber, condoms come with an expire date dont they, havent used any for yearsgiggle.gif

Have to say though I wouldn't be making a trip to the grocery store on a tire 20 years old let alone dragging it down a race track on a big heavy car ohmy.png ..

The front wheels barely touched the black top laugh.png .

I hear ya but still eventually they do and that's when all 'ell can break loose..

the thing with us street warriors who do not race tracks any more is that experience compensates for our age and UV exposure. I never trusted this fact when I was young, but sure is a much better and possibly faster driver now

back to rubber, condoms come with an expire date dont they, havent used any for yearsgiggle.gif

Not mine, they're steel reinforced and good for at least 20 years giggle.giflaugh.png ....

If your tyres are squealling it means they are sliding, not necessarily a bad thing

I remember my Suzuki Vitara came with Bridgestone tyres and they always squealled under stress

but the slide was very gentle and controlled.

Around 60-70000km I had to replace them and chose Dunlop.

No squeal, but I had the feeling that once they did start to slide it would

be sudden and possibly catastrophic

If your tyres are squealling it means they are sliding, not necessarily a bad thing

I remember my Suzuki Vitara came with Bridgestone tyres and they always squealled under stress

but the slide was very gentle and controlled.

Around 60-70000km I had to replace them and chose Dunlop.

No squeal, but I had the feeling that once they did start to slide it would

be sudden and possibly catastrophic

It is a fact the better traction a car and its tyres have, the more accidents it is involved in.

A good example is Audi cars. The quattro mdels with better traction and better tyres are involved in more single accident than the less safe frontweedrives

But this is drivers errors.

A crap tyre indidcate its out of traction and can thus make the driver keep lower speed. However at a given speed, lets say 90kmh highwaydriving, the crap tyre will provide muuuch longer brakingdistane

I had a 2007 rear passenger tire on a honda civic blow at 140kph on the espressway this week. i believe age was the cause as we had just hit a bump and it went. I had notice handling, especially in the wet had degraded, though the tread looked fine

I had a 2007 rear passenger tire on a honda civic blow at 140kph on the espressway this week. i believe age was the cause as we had just hit a bump and it went. I had notice handling, especially in the wet had degraded, though the tread looked fine

Hmmmm, had ''street'' race tyres that externally decomposed and l changed them myself (removed and fitted new).. The internal rubber, that is the rubber section on the inside of the ply's, was perfect, like brand new, no cracks, nothing.

have you noticed how almost ALL Thai workshops/garages will over inflate tires?

Check them yourself.

It might even stop the squealing.

However old tires are not a good idea - in ANY climate....in Northern Europe the softer compounds needed for the road conditions tend to wear out pretty quick so the age thing isn't often a problem as the tires wear out before they get too old.

Never had Chinese tyres. Had Maxxis though, twice, the second time was what was on the truck already.

Absolute rubbish both times. About the only good thing that could be said about them was they stopped the rims hitting the deck, could not even say round as second lot were not.

Cheers

Thought of a second good thing about Maxxis, they had tread depth and passed police random checks. The negatives well a few from memory- poor braking, poor grip on bends, very poor grip on wet roads, flat spots and high vibration when cold, needed rebalancing frequently, leaked air seemingly through the tyre, very heavy on the steering. On the third rebalance/alignment when did not improve got them replaced by Bridgestones, the conversation with the tyre installer went along the lines of get those crap off my car and put something decent on! Like swapping from a Lada to a BMW.

So my experience with Maxxis, they are rubbish and as mentioned already had this twice. Will I buy Maxxis again, definetly not and if already installed on a vehicle I purchase will probably be replaced shortly thereafter. Work out the cost per kilometer for tyres and it is peanuts. Particularly driving in Thailand you need to be sure that when you swing the wheel/jump on the brakes to avoid the vehicle that just appeared in front of you that the tyres will grip and Somchai survives again.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just an update to round off this old thread...

I replaced all four Bridgestone tyres with a new set of Dunlops and it has improved the handling hugely and removed the squealing too. It turned out I needed a new shock absorber so that added to the cost but the D-Max has been cheap to maintain in all so I don't begrudge the extra.

So it looks like you should be considering a new set of tyres between 50 & 60,000 km or about 3 or four years as they really do seem to degrade independently of tread wear.

Just an update to round off this old thread...

I replaced all four Bridgestone tyres with a new set of Dunlops and it has improved the handling hugely and removed the squealing too. It turned out I needed a new shock absorber so that added to the cost but the D-Max has been cheap to maintain in all so I don't begrudge the extra.

So it looks like you should be considering a new set of tyres between 50 & 60,000 km or about 3 or four years as they really do seem to degrade independently of tread wear.

Hmmmmmmm, you replaced you boots with a different manufacturers boots.

noooooooooooo comparison. IF, you replaced your boots with the same tyre THEN, you can say what you think folk must/should do.

• 3 weeks later...

Whats wrong with these tire shops? refusing to repair a punctured 4yr old? no matter what the condition is or thread wear?

And why aren't we pressing for warranty claim? when tires suddenly deteriorates at 3yr old, defects like broken belts, minor cracking due to weather?? IF any of these happens within warranty period then why dont we claim against the advertised warranty???

• 5 months later...

Michelin recently bought back my tires for 75% of the value. Used it for 60,000km & 3 years when it became unserviceable, bulging center groove/out of shape/broken belt?/no accident. Apparently for yet to be determined root cause.

Tire dealers/distributors/retailers do not profit from warranty claims, they sell tires to make profit. That's why they're not that helpful. I contacted Michelin directly. Then they assigned a sales rep to see me.