A Id Card For Retirees

Tell that to the foreigners who were held in jail in the last few years during nightclub checks until they could provide passport. Photo ID is a requirement by law and at times that is your passport. In most cases other ID will work but if they insist they can hold you until actual passport is presented. Don't ever say never.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And for Thailand it could be renewed on

a year to year basis. Save the retirees the trouble

to carry the passports when moving around Thailand.

It's only my personal suggestion.

Just one more time you'd have to go to Immigrations, queue up, hand over a bunch of documentation, pay some fee ...

Can't see a major difference between carrying your passport or carrying a special ID (like Malaysia My Second

Home). You're as likely to forget one as the other and I've never been asked for my passport except at Immigrations or when checking into a hotel anyway.

You are asking about something that would require progress or change. That simply does not happen in LOS. The very concept of improving anything for farengs, is impossible for the average Thai to consider. Why would we want our lives to be better? Why would they want to do that for us? What is the point? Where is the benefit for them? Why go to the effort? Why shouldn't we have to carry our passports around? By the way, I carry a color copy of my passport around in my wallet. Whenever I have been asked to produce my passport I pull that out, and 98% of the time it is accepted. Hotels, car rentals, police, etc., etc.

What is the point? Where is the benefit for them?

Mindlessly changing things doesn't represent progress or improvement. The vast majority of foreigners live much more comfortably than the vast majority of Thais. Why in heavens name should they lie awake at night worrying about us. How much time do you spend worrying about improving life for poor Thais ... or would that be an inconvenience?

"The current driver's license has your passport identification printed on the license."

At least until you get a new passport with a different number.

Nor does the license say you still have a valid visa/extension of stay to be in the country. Only at the point in the time the 1 year or 5 year license was issued would it mean you had a valid visa/extension of stay and it wouldn't say when that visa/extension of stay expired...expiration could have been a short time after issue of the license. A Thai driver's license pretty much just means you have a license to drive in Thailand...nothing more.

You could try asking Thai Immigration if they wouldn't mind issuing a card to make retirees life a little easier.

While you're about it, ask if it is really necessary to report to an Immigration office every 90 days.

Well said Old Croc!

The 90-day reporting regulation is just one of a number of somewhat contemptuous ways in which the Thai government treats its foreign "residents" & "retirees". What is the real or practical purpose of this preposterous & time wasting exercise? It reminds me of the requirement for criminals to regularly report their whereabouts when on parole! How demeaning! Perhaps that's it's real intention!

The reliable & stable nature of any individual who has retired to Thailand, & who has probably reported exactly the same address for a large number of years, seems to be of little consequence to the Thai authorities. So, what's the chances that they would want to help such second-rate individuals by issuing an ID card? Very little I suspect. Besides, as has already been pointed out, there are suitable alternatives such as a drivers licence or scaled-down photo copies etc.

"The current driver's license has your passport identification printed on the license."

I just applied for a new license with my new passport number,paid a small fee and instantly I got my new license.

It's a case of be careful what you wish for. You can imagine that, if ID cards were made mandatory for all foreigners on visas of more than three months, that would certainly involve going to your district office during civil service working hours and queuing up to get an ID card that would probably be valid only for as long as your visa and repeating this on a regular basis. That would be extremely annoying for expats working in Thailand but retirees with nothing to do may find it enjoyable.

I have a Thai all of life driving licence which has my ID number as a permanent resident on it but not my passport number. It seems to work for most purposes apart from banks. I am supposed to carry my Alien Registration Certificate around with me at all times rather than my passport but I have never done this, as it is more bulky than a passport and they are made so poorly that they start falling to pieces after a couple of years of light use and there is no way to replace them, unless you report them lost and then it is a huge hassle. Another problem with alien books is that most Thais, including banks, don't know what they are and refuse to accept them as ID. Personally I could see the MOI getting round to issuing an ID card for permanent residents to replace the cumbersome and anachronistic Alien Registration Certificate decades before they ever considered it for people here on temporary visas, such as retirees and expat workers, whom they see as.....well...er.... temporary residents who don't need Thai ID cards. However, the onerous work of renewing alien books every five years maintains in employment in countless police stations around the country and a switch to alien smart ID cards would probably cause a backlash from the BIB.

Edited by Arkady

I just applied for a new license with my new passport number,paid a small fee and instantly I got my new license.

Since my passports fill up and are replaced every 3-4 years, I wonder if they will accept the number from my yellow book for my Thai DL instead? Makes sense since THAT number will never change and it's in the Thai land registry somwhere.

Since my passports fill up and are replaced every 3-4 years, I wonder if they will accept the number from my yellow book for my Thai DL instead? Makes sense since THAT number will never change and it's in the Thai land registry somwhere.

Yes, they accept that but you must insist on it.

I know this is a bit off topic but I have my 5 year Thai DL and it's of the newer style (the one with english on it). Now the older one (just paper you needed to get laminated) had my thai address printed on it. The new one does not have my address on it anywhere. Now I have looked at Thai peoples versions of this same card and they have their address printed on the back of the card in small print. Does any expat carrying a new thai DL have their thai address printed on the back of the card?

Does any expat carrying a new thai DL have their thai address printed on the back of the card?

Mine does. It's so small one needs a jewelers loupe to read it though. It is a 5 year new style plastic license renewed about 1.5 years ago.

• Like 1

Charlie,

Were have you been for the past half century +?

Many countries I have worked in use the Driver License for Identification. In the event you do not drive for one reason or another many of the DMVs will issue an ID Card. The Thailand DMV isn’t that advanced and steadfastly unwilling to accept useful items from other countries. In case you do not agree, just keep reading this Forum which on a daily bases has one or two good suggestions for the Thai government/administration NONE of them ever are acted upon. Best example of ignoring around for over one hundred years – FLOODING. And why should I care, my properties are on high grounds, I made sure of that when I was looking to buy. Don’t jump on your high horse; you had the same opportunity to look at the right places.

Does any expat carrying a new thai DL have their thai address printed on the back of the card?

Mine does. It's so small one needs a jewelers loupe to read it though. It is a 5 year new style plastic license renewed about 1.5 years ago.

Guess I need to make a point of getting mine on there when I get it renewed. Not sure why mine is missing from both my car and motorbike DL. Guess my assumption that it was an expat thing is wrong. Thanks for confirming.

Edited by Jayman

@Gone: What is the "Mini laminated passports" ?

Where can you get it ?

One of the two expat clubs was offering it. Not sure if Pattaya City Expats Club or Pattaya Expats Club.

You might call and ask or show up for one of their Sunday meetings. Or scan your passport picture page

and 1-year-visa page, then shrink them and make a photo copy.

A laminated passport copy is not an official document.

I don't drive so I don't need a Thai driver's license but I have personal reasons why I don't even want one having to do with the DMV of my old home U.S. state. Some Americans will understand what I talking about but I don't wish to speak on it further.

Edited by Jingthing

I have been stopped twice in the street by the police asking to see my passport, for no other reason. Both times have been in Bangkok on or near Sukhumvit Road.

The first time once we had established I was living here and working here he let me go - but not before checking my pockets (which I was very careful how he did this).

The second time was just 4 weeks ago near Emporium and when I produced my Thai 5 year Driving Licence, the police man told me he would not accept it and I should always carry my passport on me. I explained that in fact, my Driving Licence is better as its more recent and carries my address on it (as well as my passport number) - however he told me that it does not prove I am here 'legally' (i.e. not on overstay or the wrong visa).

I guess he is correct in that sense - however, as he had now ascertained I was a long term resident, not a tourist, he allowed me to continue walking to my home with the standard warning of "next time make sure you ....... etc etc ."

I tried to carry my passport around with me everywhere for two or 3 weeks after that incident and now my almost new passport looks like crap. bent, creased and worn edges. What would happen if I carried it around every day for the full ten years validity ?? Its just not practical.

Please don't make me get a Thai Drivers Licence!

It may give reason for my Thai family to have me participate on perhaps the most dangerous roads known anywhere.

Examples seem to be surfacing more of late and still Songkran to come soon for the usual carnage.

I Have a TDL and I have no intention of driving in Thailand. But, my U.S. license was about to expire and you can get a TDL without a road test if you have a valid license anywhere in the world. I wanted to keep a valid DL, incase I go elsewhere and want to rent a car.

I love it for all the reasons mentioned -- it's a great I.D., often getting you resident pricing. Your passport number is part of the ID number on the front of the license. Your address is on the back, in Thai. Great for showing at customer service counters when arranging for home delivery of purchases. Plus, the Chiang Mai TDLs have a cute little panda image in the lower right corner!

Hubby swears by his mini-laminated passport. He had it made himself at the local copy shop. It has the front page of his passport on one side and his current retirement extension on the other. It's too tiny for my taste, but he likes it and has even had it accepted at the bank when he forgot to bring his real passport once.

This may sound funny but again a laminated passport copy is not an official document. So if people are saying they are accepted for hotel checkins (really?), that sounds cool, but I don't think banks even SHOULD accept them for ID purposes. What about airlines? Did someone say they boarded a domestic flight here using a COPY? Firstly, I doubt that is true, and secondly, they really shouldn't be accepted for that.

Edited by Jingthing

This may sound funny but again a laminated passport copy is not an official document. So if people are saying they are accepted for hotel checkins (really?), that sounds cool, but I don't think banks even SHOULD accept them for ID purposes. What about airlines? Did someone say they boarded a domestic flight here using a COPY? Firstly, I doubt that is true, and secondly, they really shouldn't be accepted for that.

Well, at the bank, I was with Hubby and had a real passport and they know him. We had forgotten that they require both people to sign and produce passports for transactions that involve a joint account. I doubt it would have worked at a different branch and/or if Hubby were by himself handling a transaction for an account where he is the sole name on the account.

I have to say that I have had my bank refuse to accept my Thai DL as form or of ID and required me to go home and get my passport. I was even talking with the manager and she explained that it was SCB policy to only accept original passports of foreigners. She was more than happy to accept funds for deposit into my account but would not initiate the wire transfer out until I produced my passport. Just fyi, I also had my bank book.

I have also had some government agencies refuse to accept my thai DL as form of ID. But perhaps this is because they wanted to see my entry stamps and visas in my passport and not just my picture ID and passport number.

1. Letter of address/visa confirmation from Soi 5 Jomtien Immigration - usually around 200 baht (must be less than 30 days old). You need 2 passport size photos for each residency certificate required. Ladies - please note that you must have your shoulders covered for official photos.

2. Letter of 'Fit-to-drive' from Doctor - 200 baht (must be less than 30 days old).

3. Passport + 1 signed photocopy of each - (a) 'face' page, (B) visa page, © current TM6 card & latest entry stamp page.

4. Current (home country) driving licence + 1 signed copy of all pages. (see note2)

5. Photos are no longer required as they use digital photo images engraved on a hard 'credit-card' style permit.

6. Money for a 1-year licence - now around 300 baht for car - 200 baht for motor-cycle.

7. A 1st licence issue is valid for 1 yr. (often referred to as a temporary or provisional licence)

(A 'current TM6 card' refers to the Immigration Departure card attached to your passport during your stay in Thailand. It has a reference number (TM6) that tells where & when you entered Thailand) (some will have a new style card)

(note1) A complete 'set' of above papers are needed for EACH licence application (motorcycle & car). (the second immigration and doctor letters can be copies if both applications are made at the same time)

(note2) A current 'INTERNATIONAL' driving licence (obtained OUTSIDE Thailand) for the correct vehicle is a great advantage, as it means you do not need to attend a 'Driving Skills Seminar' (in Thai Language only), or take a 'written' or 'driving skills' test for that particular vehicle. A foreign country licence (only) usually results in tests. Please note that only English Language 'foreign' licenses can be read by the staff. Non-English licenses will either require an Authenticated Thai Translation or an International License.

(note3) Photo-copying, Laminating and Insurance services are available across the road from the centre.

(note4) A 5yr licence will only be issued to a foreigner if you have a Non-Immigrant visa in your passport, or hold a Residence Permit. A 1yr licence is issued using any kind of visa or entry permit, and may be renewed (for 1 year) if necessary.

A 1st licence is for 1 year. After 1 year a 'FULL' or 'PERMANENT' licence is available for 5 years expiring on your next birth-date 5 years later, and renewed for further 5 year periods thereafter.

For those without an International Driving License, a local Thai license can be obtained against the Driving License of their respective country but may require attending seminars & passing written & practical tests.

Take a numbered entry ticket, wait your turn. Fill in the application form (issued in Thai / English language) and attach the required documentary evidence as indicated above. (the counter staff will fill the application for you and are usually very accommodating)

taken from http://www.pattayaexpatsclub.info/index.php/bus-a-driving/thai-driving-license

• Like 1

thailand it is only one year, Malaysia it is 10 years. It would be nice but you guys know thais do not really want us here so do you think they will make things more simple? if you have millions of Dollars or Euro then they want you.

Charlie,

The Thailand DMV isn’t that advanced and steadfastly unwilling to accept useful items from other countries. In case you do not agree, just keep reading this Forum which on a daily bases has one or two good suggestions for the Thai government/administration NONE of them ever are acted upon.

The Thai DMV happily accepts overseas DL's for transfer over to Thai ones.

As for reading this forum, why on earth would the Thai government read it? I doubt anyone here posting would even be able to take any idea's to the Thai government. Seems people with all these 'good ideas' are too scared of their own shadows to go any further with them than a webboard, or alternatively, couldn't organise a pissup in a brewery, let alone lobby the right department on something.

thailand it is only one year, Malaysia it is 10 years. It would be nice but you guys know thais do not really want us here so do you think they will make things more simple? if you have millions of Dollars or Euro then they want you.

they let you in didn't they?