Thai Bride Reject Threatens To Kill Herself At British Embassy In Bangkok

webfact

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Immigration is a tight subject for most British Nationals. Our country is suffering at the moment and we need to learn how to earn our money. This month they have announced a massive shake-up in the benefits claims systems that should see around 750,000 benefit claims for non-British Nationals being stopped. Doubt she will get much sympathy (and why should she).

On another note I, a British National with no prior and having paid a HEALTHY portion of tax in my life, can't get anything out of my own embassy so I doubt she will fare any better!

• Like 1

Couple of things.

1) For those bashing Thai Immigration, I don't doubt you've had some bad experiences. However, I live in Chiang Mai, and have nothing but good things to say about the Immigration Office here and the people who work there. In the 4+ years I've been dealing with them, I've always found them to be friendly and helpful with whatever I needed.

2) Have a female friend of about 30. Parents are American, but have lived here since before she was born. She acually has dual US/Thai citizenship. She married a man from Holland. The had a daughter. Then about 5-6 years ago he simply walked out on her saying he didn't want to be married to her any more, and moved in with new, younger Thai g/f. She has tried gettiing a divorce here, but told me under Dutch law, the only way she can do it is go to Holland, live & work for 1 year, apply for citizenship, and THEN file for divorce.

3) As for the woman - and I use that term lightly - in this story. It would appear that she's only after money, and will draw attention to herself any way she can in order to achieve that.

After reading this thread people seem to conflate and confuse 2 points a lot.

People are complaining about the Policies about Thai Immigration and how they are very odd and arbitrary, other people come up and defend the actual people working at immigration.

People are complaining that the Visa regulations in thailand are awkward and actually very difficult to deal with. I've always had a decent time with the actual officers, but much of the required papperwork and processing is pointless hoop jumping.I have a friend who is Married, has been for many years, but he still has to meet odd criteria, still has to go and do a bunch of paperwork when wanting to leave and come back for a holiday, each year has to re apply for the visa he has held for 8 years now.

So the complaints aren't about the officers, but the established procedures, and the mountains of pointless papers required. (How many photocopies of your passport do they NEED on file?)

• Like 1

This came up some time ago and it is just a continuation on the same theme.

She is just smart enough to cause trouble,

but not smart enough, or too smarting from loss of face to just drop it

and walk away with a modest settlement.

She just can't understand that she has to call it a day,

and clearly has some advisor / lawyer hoping for a cut of the profits,

telling her to fight it to the last dregs of common sense.

The same attitude that makes her fight UK right into the EU courts

is likely the same reason he wants nothing more to do with her;

a right total pain in the arse, who is showing her true colors;

give me, and my lawyer, more money, and we go away,

if not....

Sure this is reading between the lines, but the lines kinda jump out at you.

She's 'going to kill herself on Valentines Day in front of the British Embassy'

over a divorce she can do right here? <deleted>. This is a publicity stunt,

because yet again she isn't being allowed back into UK to raise a ruckus there.

Why doesn't she apply for a tourist visa??????

Why would you apply for a spousal visa when your spouse has already dropped you in the poop once. Of course no absolute guarantee that she would get it, but presuming she has an ok job and some cash she should be able to get the visa no problem.

Also to petition the court for divorce, she probably doesn't need to be personally in the country. If she places the divorce petition in the court through a lawyer, and shows the embassy she has to attend the court, I presume the embassy has very little right to refuse the visa application.

Sorry a lot of presumptions, but having been removed from the country whilst apparently in possession of a spousal visa, why would anyone go down the route of re-asking? One wonders if she has got advice from Somchais visa service???

Would she be able to go through court procedings on a tourist visa? Don't think so.

Whatever her issues the woman is scarey.

Normal people do not continue to go to countries they are going to be refused entry to.

Nor do they threaten to publicly stab themselves to death by a busy road about the refusal.

Imagine being married to that.

• Like 1

Tough bunch

Doesn't it bother anyone that the kilt maker married this las 3 times? twice in LOS and once in the UK-they were in love, how can he simply call the border folks and have her denied access for a visa ? What if I don't like someone is it really that easy to make a call and they are blocked ? Imagine the fools who will make idle threats in the heat of the moment "I'll have you deported" IMHO this old kilt maker is trying to protect his assests and is using the visa section. She is married to a Brit and in my mind should be allowed to "visit" the UK to take care of business-divorce, if she takes him for a bath well then it is his fault ?

Dito

Good call UK. Based on the story that is not the kind of person that would be welcomed anywhere.

She's looking for a bigger stage to propel herself on to with visions grandeur.

It would be tragic if she were to follow through on her Valentines Day plan but I suspect it would be her own tragedy only.

Not neccessarily a loss - just a tragedy on her personal level.

Couple of things.

1) For those bashing Thai Immigration, I don't doubt you've had some bad experiences. However, I live in Chiang Mai, and have nothing but good things to say about the Immigration Office here and the people who work there. In the 4+ years I've been dealing with them, I've always found them to be friendly and helpful with whatever I needed.

2) Have a female friend of about 30. Parents are American, but have lived here since before she was born. She acually has dual US/Thai citizenship. She married a man from Holland. The had a daughter. Then about 5-6 years ago he simply walked out on her saying he didn't want to be married to her any more, and moved in with new, younger Thai g/f. She has tried gettiing a divorce here, but told me under Dutch law, the only way she can do it is go to Holland, live & work for 1 year, apply for citizenship, and THEN file for divorce.

3) As for the woman - and I use that term lightly - in this story. It would appear that she's only after money, and will draw attention to herself any way she can in order to achieve that.

After reading this thread people seem to conflate and confuse 2 points a lot.

People are complaining about the Policies about Thai Immigration and how they are very odd and arbitrary, other people come up and defend the actual people working at immigration.

People are complaining that the Visa regulations in thailand are awkward and actually very difficult to deal with. I've always had a decent time with the actual officers, but much of the required papperwork and processing is pointless hoop jumping.I have a friend who is Married, has been for many years, but he still has to meet odd criteria, still has to go and do a bunch of paperwork when wanting to leave and come back for a holiday, each year has to re apply for the visa he has held for 8 years now.

So the complaints aren't about the officers, but the established procedures, and the mountains of pointless papers required. (How many photocopies of your passport do they NEED on file?)

Indeed it is the endless reams of paper that are really astonishingly wasteful. Of course it is good for Double A, or other paper companies, but it does beg the question, where does all this endless mountains of paper end up, because by now each immigration office should be wall to wall paper.

It's all too messy for me to understand, perhaps she was no saint, perhaps he wanted an easy out and had lots to loose froma UK divorce, it does seem however that the BA ought to let her in in order to fight the matter in the divorce courts.

rubbish ...nip the problem in the bud ...if she gets into the uk u will never get her out '''' too much leniency and do gooding in immigration same applies to australia ...a gang just arrested all supposed hard done by refugees .....all of their papers forgeries and in 12 months have committed over 60 serious crimes fxxx her off ,,,she isnt going to live with her spouse so where is she going to live eventually .....a tax payer funded council flat ?

Stay in Thailand, the UK does not need any more crazy immigrants. happy Valentines day.

Yeah.... I think too. If the husband says she has an affair after going through the process of all the legalities in Thailand and in the UK, means he was not taking it lightly. Why does she want to fight it in an UK court....isnt the Thai Justice system not enough. She could save some money and face. Taking her life...well thats a brave thing to do.....but Justice in Europe is not threaten by such stupidity.

All I want to do is fight my divorce and my human rights cases in Britain. When I have finished the authorities can stamp my passport red and say I am a person they do not want. I do not want to stay in the U.K. I love Thailand.

I believe you just like I believed my ex who didn't want my car, but has now disappeared with it.

• Like 1

Whatever her issues the woman is scarey.

Normal people do not continue to go to countries they are going to be refused entry to.

Nor do they threaten to publicly stab themselves to death by a busy road about the refusal.

Imagine being married to that.

Have you not seen any Thai soap operas?

It's all too messy for me to understand, perhaps she was no saint, perhaps he wanted an easy out and had lots to loose froma UK divorce, it does seem however that the BA ought to let her in in order to fight the matter in the divorce courts.

She can apply for a divorce in Thailand. BUT the Thai court can only rule on assets in this country.

Pretty obvious why she's wanting to fight her divorce in Scotland. Under Scottish law and British Law it doesn't matter if your wife has another lover, the wife is still entitled to half of everything you have. It makes it worse that the husband has absolutely no proof that she has another man. If she's allowed into the UK then Mr Kilt Maker is seriously up the creek. Divorce law is cut and dried, the courts cannot say 'oh because you live in Thailand we're giving you less money'. The courts will stick to the letter of the law, Mr Kilt maker will have to either reach an agreement outside of court, or go to court and lose half (at least). Anyone that has been through a divorce in the UK will testify that if you're male then be prepared to have your balls sawn off. She's just being sensible.

This came up some time ago and it is just a continuation on the same theme.

She is just smart enough to cause trouble,

but not smart enough, or too smarting from loss of face to just drop it

and walk away with a modest settlement.

She just can't understand that she has to call it a day,

and clearly has some advisor / lawyer hoping for a cut of the profits,

telling her to fight it to the last dregs of common sense.

The same attitude that makes her fight UK right into the EU courts

is likely the same reason he wants nothing more to do with her;

a right total pain in the arse, who is showing her true colors;

give me, and my lawyer, more money, and we go away,

if not....

Sure this is reading between the lines, but the lines kinda jump out at you.

She's 'going to kill herself on Valentines Day in front of the British Embassy'

over a divorce she can do right here? <deleted>. This is a publicity stunt,

because yet again she isn't being allowed back into UK to raise a ruckus there.

Why doesn't she apply for a tourist visa??????

Why would you apply for a spousal visa when your spouse has already dropped you in the poop once. Of course no absolute guarantee that she would get it, but presuming she has an ok job and some cash she should be able to get the visa no problem.

Also to petition the court for divorce, she probably doesn't need to be personally in the country. If she places the divorce petition in the court through a lawyer, and shows the embassy she has to attend the court, I presume the embassy has very little right to refuse the visa application.

Sorry a lot of presumptions, but having been removed from the country whilst apparently in possession of a spousal visa, why would anyone go down the route of re-asking? One wonders if she has got advice from Somchais visa service???

Would she be able to go through court procedings on a tourist visa? Don't think so.

I wonder if she even needs to be present at all for a british lawyer to carry out court proceedings. This isn't like Thailand where you often have to be physically present to attend. I would imagine if she employed a lawyer to start the proceedings, and the judge asked where the complainant is, and the statement was that she can't attend because she can't get a visa, this would have a very large effect on the judgement of the embassy. They can't very well refuse someone entry who has a legal right to carry out court proceedings under British law. This brings into question what the existing legal status of her "marriage"?

If all she has to do is present herself at the court once or twice, why would she need any other type of visa? I can understand the system saying that she shouldn't have leave to hang around in the country for months on end to attend something that maybe takes a couple of days spread over a couple of months.

I have a friend going through a divorce here in thailand, he is back overseas, the lawyers are dealing with the paperwork, and he will fly in when he is required. i can't remember the length of duration of a british tourist visa for thais, but if she presents a court document to the embassy to state I have to be available for court proceedings on a given date, I doubt that the embassy can refuse. What they won't do, is let her in on the basis that she intends to start court proceedings.

All she has to do is contract a british lawyer to start the process

I am ashamed to be from the UK sometimes. Our immigration rules are a f*****g disgrace, if a UK born citizen chooses to marry a female from any other country his new wife should have automatic rights to live with her new husband in the UK without all this bull s**t red tape and this should be the same world wide. WE DON'T OWN THE WORLD and it's about time those people in government positions change their bloody attitudes!!!

• Like 2

Stay in Thailand, the UK does not need any more crazy immigrants. happy Valentines day.

Yeah.... I think too. If the husband says she has an affair after going through the process of all the legalities in Thailand and in the UK, means he was not taking it lightly. Why does she want to fight it in an UK court....isnt the Thai Justice system not enough. She could save some money and face. Taking her life...well thats a brave thing to do.....but Justice in Europe is not threaten by such stupidity.

Where was she last married, Thailand or UK?

How easy a Malaysian can get visas to the UK and others compare to the Thais? A subjec of discrimination again.

That's to do with empire. Commonwealth citizens have traditionally been given more benefits regarding visas than others - maybe even just informally - it's to do with common language, heritage etc

Where was she last married, Thailand or UK?

both

I am ashamed to be from the UK sometimes. Our immigration rules are a f*****g disgrace, if a UK born citizen chooses to marry a female from any other country his new wife should have automatic rights to live with her new husband in the UK without all this bull s**t red tape and this should be the same world wide. WE DON'T OWN THE WORLD and it's about time those people in government positions change their bloody attitudes!!!

Did your spouse get refused a visa? In terms of comparison with the Thai system and rights of abode, the UK is far far more liberal than Thailand in terms of rights of foreign spouses. I would like it very much if Thailand would adopt the British stance on immigration for spouses, by now thousands of long staying expats would have permenant right of abode in Thailand and not have to jump through the yearly stupidity of the system here.

The Brits might not own the world, but they own the UK at least, so the rules are set as they are.

• Like 2