Birthday Party At The Down Under Bar

IanForbes

I'll see you there tonight. . The old Maple Leaf bar and former massage parlour is now an Aussie bar called the "Down Under bar". It's still in a state of repair, but looking good. It's at the foot of Loi Kroh Road and across from where the Guitar man used to be, and not far from the one way bridge over the Ping River.. New Years this year was a great time there with a roof top party and surrounding fireworks.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Guitarman used to be? Not been in to town for a while, what happened to the Guitarman? Nicky 'n' Nok?

yeah I remember it as the Thirsty Beaver too biggrin.png

They got in a problem with having stand-in players from out of town playing on stage without a work permit. There was a whole thread on it about a year ago.

They sold up a few months ago. They ow have The Orchard between the turn off for Tiger Kingdom & X Centre out at Mae Rim.

Not fully completed yet but they are serving good food already. Should be a nice place when they are done with it.

May pop into Down under bar later for a birthday beer with you ..... or who ever's birthday it is.

They sold up a few months ago. They ow have The Orchard between the turn off for Tiger Kingdom & X Centre out at Mae Rim.

Not fully completed yet but they are serving good food already. Should be a nice place when they are done with it.

Glad to hear that. Good luck to them.

May pop into Down under bar later fo

r a birthday beer with you ..... or who ever's birthday it is.

The owner's girl friend, Noi, and Gai who is one of the staff.

I have no stake in the bar, but find it nice and friendly and not too loud. The pool table is pretty good as well. When Stuart gets it finished it should be pretty nice for those that want to watch "the footy" or just socialize. Many bars are too small and too loud if you just want to talk and have a pleasant evening.

I don't have anything against Aussies, but how could they rename the Thirsty Beaver? ohmy.png

I don't have anything against them either. It's just that every single one I've ever met was a deadbeat dad or a wife beater or something similar along those lines. I'm sure there are loads of good ones. I've just never met one that's all, and I've met a lot.

I don't have anything against Aussies, but how could they rename the Thirsty Beaver? ohmy.png

I don't have anything against them either. It's just that every single one I've ever met was a deadbeat dad or a wife beater or something similar along those lines. I'm sure there are loads of good ones. I've just never met one that's all, and I've met a lot.

I understand what you are saying because I felt the same way when I was a young single dude in Canada. All the Aussies I met that came to Canada did so on a threadbare budget and they never paid their own way. They were always cutting corners and conning others.Then I married an Aussie woman and we traveled to Australia many times on holidays. I met an entirely different group of people and it changed the way I thought of people from many nations. Everyone has heard of the "Ugly American" and the yanks earned that comment by the way they acted in other countries. But, when I visited America I couldn't have met a more generous nation.

As a Brit I enjoy drinking with Ozzies - spend all night ribbing eachother, same sort of sense of humour I guess - some of my best mates are Ozzies (though you might not think it if you were to hear us diving each other in the bar lol).

Bit busy tonight, friends coming over, but will certainly pop down for a beer when its open properly see if the Beaver's satiated yet!

Maybe Ian you'll take some of those famous photo's, eh?

Same with Nicky's new place - "Alright son!" - just joking. I knew about the band thing (knew most of those affected) and have been there several times since then - even knew the place almost got sold about 6 months back (I think) but the buyer pulled out last minute - didn't know it was sold now. So the new buyers, what did they do with it?

Thanks for the update folks :D

Edited by wolf5370

I understand what you are saying because I felt the same way when I was a young single dude in Canada. All the Aussies I met that came to Canada did so on a threadbare budget and they never paid their own way. They were always cutting corners and conning others.Then I married an Aussie woman and we traveled to Australia many times on holidays. I met an entirely different group of people and it changed the way I thought of people from many nations. Everyone has heard of the "Ugly American" and the yanks earned that comment by the way they acted in other countries. But, when I visited America I couldn't have met a more generous nation.

I hear what you're saying too Ian, and I respect your opinion. That said, the only person I've ever had to punch in my adult life was yet another asshol_e Australian, in Brisbane in 1986.

Well, we DID have a good time tonight and it was still happening when I left at 11:30. Nice to see Winnie the Kwai there enjoying the fun. Aussies and Brits DO like to rib each other, and any bystander could be confused into thinking they actually meant what they said. One fellow brought his young son of about 7 or 8 years old and the kid seemed to enjoy himself. I sure envy the energy of youth. They go full bore until they finally drop from exhaustion. Then they sleep like angels.

Cafe del Sol has been taken over by a long haired greek dude named Alex who played drums on and off in Guitarman for years,.

He plans on doing live music and Greek food but he's not rushing into the reno's.

The new boss in the bear bar is Taka, he's a good guy too.

Cafe del Sol has been taken over by a long haired greek dude named Alex who played drums on and off in Guitarman for years,.

He plans on doing live music and Greek food but he's not rushing into the reno's.

The new boss in the bear bar is Taka, he's a good guy too.

Good to hear. It's always nice to have a few options. Chiang Mai has a pretty good night life if you take the time to look around. And, it can be had for the price of a beer or two. I always take people new to Chiang Mai to the Brasserie and they've all been impressed... even if Took isn't there.

Well, we DID have a good time tonight and it was still happening when I left at 11:30. Nice to see Winnie the Kwai there enjoying the fun. Aussies and Brits DO like to rib each other, and any bystander could be confused into thinking they actually meant what they said. One fellow brought his young son of about 7 or 8 years old and the kid seemed to enjoy himself. I sure envy the energy of youth. They go full bore until they finally drop from exhaustion. Then they sleep like angels.

If you think the Poms and Aussies like to get stuck into each other you should see what happens when the Aussies get together with Kiwis - a lot of discussion about Kiwis sexual preference for sheep.

Also, I don't know why a Yank should be getting stuck into Australians. We have fought beside them (often foolishly) in just about every war since independence. Most R&R boys during Vietnam, the American War as the Vietnanese call it, thought Australians OK as they turned up in their thousands and were made welcome.

Also, I don't know why a Yank should be getting stuck into Australians. We have fought beside them (often foolishly) in just about every war since independence. Most R&R boys during Vietnam, the American War as the Vietnanese call it, thought Australians OK as they turned up in their thousands and were made welcome.

One Yank. Most of us apprecitae our Aussie brethren. What would the world be like without Mad Max, Men at Work and Crocodile Dundee? thumbsup.gif

Some not very polite posts and replies to it have been deleted.

And a couple more off topic posts removed. lets keep the topic clean.

The reason there is so much weeding and gardening to do in this topic is because this one is still around:

I don't have anything against them either. It's just that every single oe I've ever met was a deadbeat dad or a wife beater or something similar along those lines. I'm sure there are loads of good ones. I've just never met one that's all, and I've met a lot.

Which was unrelated to the topic at hand, and a juicy slab of flamebait.

Anyway, the party was two days ago, you can likely close the topic. But do note where and why this one derailed.

If you think the Poms and Aussies like to get stuck into each other you should see what happens when the Aussies get together with Kiwis - a lot of discussion about Kiwis sexual preference for sheep.

Ain't THAT the truth! My ex was from Tasmania (state of Australia) and I used to visit New Zealand all the time on fly fishing trips... so I know the good natured bantering that went on. And, the mainland Aussies were ALWAYS making fun of the Tasmanians.

But, for a bunch of good natured drinking guys it's hard to beat the Australians. And, the Down Under pub at the foot of Loi kroh seems to exemplify that. I've learned the hard way not to generalize with any group or nationality.

Ain't THAT the truth! My ex was from Tasmania (state of Australia) and I used to visit New Zealand all the time on fly fishing trips... so I know the good natured bantering that went on. And, the mainland Aussies were ALWAYS making fun of the Tasmanians.

But, for a bunch of good natured drinking guys it's hard to beat the Australians. And, the Down Under pub at the foot of Loi kroh seems to exemplify that. I've learned the hard way not to generalize with any group or nationality.

I remember some of those Tassie digs: 'What is the definition of a Tasmanian virging - a girl who could run faster than her brothers.'

Oops, my grandfarther came from Tassie. I wonder if that leaves me with a few too close relatives.

Anyway, to get back to the thread. Thanks for letting everyone know about the Down Under Bar. Sorry I missed the party but I will get there soon.

"often foolishly", shouldn't that read "always foolishly"? Think about it.

With the possible exception of the American War of Independence that is.

Were Australians really involved? I didn't even think Australia existed as an entity in the 1770's. I thought it was called New Holland or something like that, with a few scattered outposts of debauched Dutchmen brewing their own schnapps and getting it on with Abos of both sexes. Anyway, maybe you know something I don't.

You could have used some homegrown freedom fighters of your own by the 1870's and 80's when Australia developed into a country.

A revolutionary generation is simply one that possesses brains and balls.

The brains to understand that they are being exploited, and the balls to do something about it.

But you, like your colonail cousins all over the world allowed yourselves to be emasculated.

And following generations compensate for it by mouthing-off in pubs by night and by trolling internet forums by day.

"often foolishly", shouldn't that read "always foolishly"? Think about it.

With the possible exception of the American War of Independence that is.

Were Australians really involved? I didn't even think Australia existed as an entity in the 1770's. I thought it was called New Holland or something like that, with a few scattered outposts of debauched Dutchmen brewing their own schnapps and getting it on with Abos of both sexes. Anyway, maybe you know something I don't.

You could have used some homegrown freedom fighters of your own by the 1870's and 80's when Australia developed into a country.

A revolutionary generation is simply one that possesses brains and balls.

The brains to understand that they are being exploited, and the balls to do something about it.

But you, like your colonail cousins all over the world allowed yourselves to be emasculated.

And following generations compensate for it by mouthing-off in pubs by night and by trolling internet forums by day.

'SInce the war of Independence' - joke Joyce - perhaps a little subtle for you.

Your take on early Australian history is obviously a joke too. Or maybe you know about a Dutch settlement in Australia that is not in Australian history books. I could tell you about Eureka Stockade but why bother, a closed and bitter mind like yours would only misconstrue that.