School For Falangs

Boater

I guess if she was rich she won't be a bar girl and she wouldn't want your money. If fact she probably wouldn't look at you at all and would probably look down on you? Am I on track here?

Edited by MaiChai

• 2 weeks later...

Am i the only one who thinks farang who say 'falang' are a bit simple in the head?

I questioned this. It was explained to me that the common word (Central Thailand) used is Farang ... but the Issan pronouncement/dialect has it as Falang. Not saying that the information is gospel, but you know how tonal the Thai language is.

It should be FaRang, with the R being rolled aswell, but most Thai people are a little bit lazy to roll their Rs, so it turns into an r, then some are really lazy, and thus an r turns into an L

It's the same with a lot of Thai words though, e.g. raw or law (wait), sometimes it creates confusion for Thai people even when they're speaking. Although usually based on context etc they don't have any problems understanding of course.

Interestingly enough, a Cambodian friend of mine, said that in Cambodia, they say Barang instead :-P

Farang comes from farangset meaning French. What the Thais mean is people with big pointy noses. Back in the Indochina colonial days Thais/cambodian/laos/vietnamese would likly come across Frenchmen with a Gallic noses!

Am i the only one who thinks farang who say 'falang' are a bit simple in the head?

I questioned this. It was explained to me that the common word (Central Thailand) used is Farang ... but the Issan pronouncement/dialect has it as Falang. Not saying that the information is gospel, but you know how tonal the Thai language is.

In the Issaan they call a foreigner bakssida

No they don't, at least not anywhere that I have been to in Isaan. I think that it is just a play on words and may be used as a joke sometimes. Buksidda is Isaan for Guava, but they refer to westerners as "Falang"

No they don't, at least not anywhere that I have been to in Isaan. I think that it is just a play on words and may be used as a joke sometimes. Buksidda is Isaan for Guava, but they refer to westerners as "Falang"

Checked with my Missus this evening when she got home.

Buksidda does NOT mean foreigner here in Isaan, it only has one meaning - "Guava". She says that it may be used as a joke sometimes, but usually by foreigners, not Isaan people.