Is It Normal To Not Acknowledge You If You Give Them Way?

wellred

If I hold a door open for someone or let someone go through first before me I would normally expect a smile or thanks... but I don't think I have seen this once. Is this normal or just a case of no manners needed because I farang?

Just an observation.

• Like 1

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes its normal. If you ever get angry just stick your foot out when they pass.

People say thai's have good manners?

Well yes when they have too (fakeness) BUT a good example of true thainess is when they drive. Hidden behind a silver or tinted window and they will show there true colours. Risking everything to save a few seconds. Never giving way. Flashing there lights at you whilst tail gateing (in other words, get the fck out my way)

Mind you i do the same apart from the flashing and tail gateing.

• Like 2

a good example of true thainess is when they drive. Hidden behind a silver or tinted window and they will show there true colours. Risking everything to save a few seconds. Never giving way. Flashing there lights at you whilst tail gateing (in other words, get the fck out my way)

Have you ever driven a vehicle in your own or other countries? Motorists are the same everywhere.

• Like 1

You should play the same game. If you make eye contact you have lost, a thai walking towards you will not move, no eye contact they will move, try it. Today in Big C walking really slowly ( thai style) in front of lots of locals, walking towards obstacles so they cannot get by etc all the things you see everyday, she gave my mate a really bad look, I laughed, she wont get the message, forgotten tomorrow.

The bottom line is this...They are not aware of what is going on around them...... just remember that, when they walk slowly in front of you, get in front and do the same, exiting escalators or what ever, play them at their own game and smile, same in markets when they are on the motorbike, stop and use the phone, try not to get wound up its a different culture, adapt, now go and try it, works a treatcowboy.gif

Edited by nong38
  • Like 2

a good example of true thainess is when they drive. Hidden behind a silver or tinted window and they will show there true colours. Risking everything to save a few seconds. Never giving way. Flashing there lights at you whilst tail gateing (in other words, get the fck out my way)

Have you ever driven a vehicle in your own or other countries? Motorists are the same everywhere.

No i havent but i have been a passenger. Thais are rude drivers. If you disagree then obviously you dont drive here.

Im talking 95% of drivers not just the odd one or two.

The only way to give them some manners is to ban tinted windows. ;) Then they will have to pretend to be nice and polite ;)

I've never known a Thai not acknowledge, with at least a nod of their head, when I hold a door open. Walking slowly in front of you is prevalent in every country when browsing/shopping is involved. Learn what is good manners & polite here but don't forget what you've been taught before.

You should play the same game. If you make eye contact you have lost, a thai walking towards you will not move, no eye contact they will move, try it. Today in Big C walking really slowly ( thai style) in front of lots of locals, walking towards obstacles so they cannot get by etc all the things you see everyday, she gave my mate a really bad look, I laughed, she wont get the message, forgotten tomorrow.

The bottom line is this...They are not aware of what is going on around them...... just remember that, when they walk slowly in front of you, get in front and do the same, exiting escalators or what ever, play them at their own game and smile, same in markets when they are on the motorbike, stop and use the phone, try not to get wound up its a different culture, adapt, now go and try it, works a treatcowboy.gif

Im gonna try that next time i go to tesco's. Just stand there with my shopping trolly parked in the centre of the aisle pretending no one else is around.

I've never known a Thai not acknowledge, with at least a nod of their head, when I hold a door open. Walking slowly in front of you is prevalent in every country when browsing/shopping is involved. Learn what is good manners & polite here but don't forget what you've been taught before.

You havent been out much then wink.png

• Like 1

Something that is forgotten.

You havent been out much then wink.png

That's why it is...knew I was missing something

The majority of the time if I hold a door open I get a smile and or a thank you so find the experiences of others posting here rather at odds with mine. Location, attitude, dress ... other reasons why different?

Just stand there with my shopping trolly parked in the centre of the aisle pretending no one else is around.

Ok, that sometimes does get on my nerves. wink.png

I've been driving around London and the home counties this week, the road manners, patience and road dicipline is way way better here than back in LOS.

Driving out of a T-junction here is a breeze, there's almost always someone who will slow to let you out the junction and I've not seen one case of drivers squeezing into gaps in the traffic to prevent others getting 2inches ahead.

• Like 2

The majority of the time if I hold a door open I get a smile and or a thank you so find the experiences of others posting here rather at odds with mine. Location, attitude, dress ... other reasons why different?

Just stand there with my shopping trolly parked in the centre of the aisle pretending no one else is around.

Location....90% of time people dont aknowledge in shopping centres like the mall. Maybe its something to do with only poor people in a uniform should be opening a door for them. So maybe they are shy to say thanks or even make eye contact.

Attitude....I always smile yet most of the time people dont make eye contact to understand the good attitude.

Dress....i always dress smart. probably smarter than most i open the door for yet again no one makes eye contact to notice lol (aprt from pretty girls that is) :)

I would say they nod/smile a thanks more times than not if I hold a door/elevator for them.

As for slow moving shoppers.....Nothing I have ever seen in LOS beats Walmart back home.

To top it off you have all these supposedly un-able to walk themselves chubby folks in those little motorized

scooters Walmart provides. :lol: Not only cant they find the strength to walk but they drive terribly :)

Maybe these guys are so weird that the Thais just want to pretend that they are not there and not give them any encouragement to start a conversation.

As for blocking the shopping aisles, plenty of Westerners do that too.

In my opinion it should have something to do with the OP appearance and personal hygiene. Ask any Thai and the majority of those leaving near big falang settlements will tell you that falang smell bad. sick.gif

First western bodies are not used to the local temperature and sweat profusely. Then how many foreigners take at least two showers a day as the average Thai do ? Use deodorant with antiperspirant ? mad.gif

And the way farang dress ! annoyed.gif

post-4641-1156693976.gif

If the Thai tend to avoid you in the street, maybe there are a few points you should check first

Edited by JurgenG
  • Like 2

Actually i have driven in my home country and here and the difference is crazy. I really had to adapt to driving back home when i was there for a visit. It was such a difference in how polite people were. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that the law and good driving is enforced in Holland.

• Like 1

Same thing happens when you give way on the road, no acknowledgement.

? It's quite common to acknowledge that..

I do it myself too, in that same way Thais do it, with that pidgin-head-bob greeting behind the wheel. wink.png

This seems another great topic for the haters on this forum..

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I suppose I do it (Opening Doors and Giving Way) as a result of my up bringing and culture..Not sure if I ever cared one way or another whether I was acknowledged or not. I am not a mama's boy so I still drink milk straight from the bottle.