Is It Normal To Not Acknowledge You If You Give Them Way?

wellred

I made a similar observation on Thai Visa a while ago. It's pretty much the norm to get no response, at least not a Western one. If anything, you may get a shy look, or they may try to get small (bend low and crouch) which I guess could be construed as respectful. Personally, I tend to err on the side that I will continue to act with Western courtesy even to Thai folk. Just don't expect anything in return. But I have noticed that Westerners tend to respond with smiles and kind word. This is something that I miss from Western culture and when I see it, I enjoy the moment.

I too err on the side of Western courtesy... however, it is not Western courtesy at play here, its simple courtesy in any form, from any culture. The simple fact is that after traveling to and having worked in so many different places I have found one thing to be common - IF someone is attempting to be courteous it's nearly impossible to misunderstand their actions. In other words when someone is trying to be polite and courteous, its obvious.

Thai is a very polite culture, it is the norm to thank someone when a door is being held open or when one courteous act deserves acknowledgment.... With issues such as these I believe we are seeing the development of an ignorant world.

In Thailand it is the ignorant rude and impolite Thai's who don't behave in a courteous manner, I suspect there are an equal number of these characters as in any capital city throughout the world. In examples such as this, I don't think we can expect better or worse standards from Thailand, however, the fundamentals should be the same.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The majority of the time if I hold a door open I get a smile and or a thank you so find the experiences of others posting here rather at odds with mine. Location, attitude, dress ... other reasons why different?

Just stand there with my shopping trolly parked in the centre of the aisle pretending no one else is around.

Ok, that sometimes does get on my nerves. wink.png

Have to agree with you there. Often I have had a smile and a nod of the head when holding a door open or letting someone into the traffic, it is pot luck however, as I would say on the road you are less likely to get a thank you. But it does happen, and in many cases it seems to be the ones in the "shoddier" vehicles who thank you - I think the obnoxious self important Thai in his fancy new car sort of expects the peasnats to make way for him/her.

If we are all honest its just the same in our homeland, the difference is we are talking about Thailand, because thats where we are and therefore fingering the indegineous population. I expect we can find the same thing all over the world dot you think? Good Game Good game!!!!!!!!!!

In my opinion it should have something to do with the OP appearance and personal hygiene. Ask any Thai and the majority of those leaving near big falang settlements will tell you that falang smell bad. sick.gif

First western bodies are not used to the local temperature and sweat profusely. Then how many foreigners take at least two showers a day as the average Thai do ? Use deodorant with antiperspirant ? mad.gif

And the way farang dress ! annoyed.gif

post-4641-1156693976.gif

If the Thai tend to avoid you in the street, maybe there are a few points you should check first

Deffo wasn't that mate. I take 2 showers a day here in blighty anyway, over there it's 3. And if I smell of anything it's Joop, which the gf loves.

As for the heat, I really don't find it that bad there, wasn't at all unbearable even in Bangkok or Krabi. I am yet to be here for April though which I hear is when thingds hot up. Generally though I am a very well groomed young guy who dresses smart too. Not one of these who has let them selves go big time...

Maybe in Thailand, what you all are complaining of is not seen as rude here in Thailand so they are not being rude, and when you react differently, they think you are odd? You can compare cultures, but you can not condemn another one just because it is not the same as yours; try China if you want to see a real difference of culture. On the flip side, imagine a Thai web board saying how bad farangs are because they stick their older relatives in old folks homes and never visit them; or you not sending your mother money every month as a sign of respect whether she needs it or not; or not paying a dowry to your Farang wife's family and worse still expecting them to pay for the wedding; and at the wedding giving someone a toaster as opposed to a handful of cash.

Some good points here.

Maybe in Thailand, what you all are complaining of is not seen as rude here in Thailand so they are not being rude, and when you react differently, they think you are odd? You can compare cultures, but you can not condemn another one just because it is not the same as yours; try China if you want to see a real difference of culture. On the flip side, imagine a Thai web board saying how bad farangs are because they stick their older relatives in old folks homes and never visit them; or you not sending your mother money every month as a sign of respect whether she needs it or not; or not paying a dowry to your Farang wife's family and worse still expecting them to pay for the wedding; and at the wedding giving someone a toaster as opposed to a handful of cash.

well said