Chinese Restaurant In Soi Welcome

rmicheald

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty basic market style food. Dumplings were great. Kung Pao chicken was way too spicy for my taste --- even my missus said WOW!!

Looking for Cantonese or UK style Chinese food not for you.

Want to try something authentic -- go give it a bash - prices very reasonable. My wife enjoyed re-visiting her 'Mandarin' and had a long chat......

Would go back

You go past the Grand Palace hotel (corner of soi Watboon) towards soi Chaiprook. The soi had a big half-circle sign that says "Welcome"

http://www.soidb.com...oi-welcome.html

How far along the soi?

Is there any place to park a car?

About 1/3 of the way down from the beach road on the right side. there is a big parking lot at the farther end of the soi near the hotel.

Thanks

I'm on the case! cowboy.gif I am surprised to hear about goat on the menu though. Yes, I know the Chinese eat everything but first time I've heard of a Chinese goat dish. I've also never seen goat on ANY menu in Thailand. I like goat when cooked properly but it is a VERY strong meat that you can often taste the next day. Are you sure it was really goat or maybe a translation issue, like maybe it was mutton?

I'm not fully clear on where Soi Welcome is. I have found most of the restaurants around that general location to be dreary tourist traps. So is it at Soi 14 or is it at the same soi as the Welcome Beach Hotel?

Goat and mutton is often eaten in Western China due to the Muslim influence. Many Chinese muslim estuarants have popped up in cities populated by migrant workers. In fact I have seen the odd goat tethered outside restuarants in Southern China waiting to be ordered and dispatched accordingly.

Surprised to hear of it in Jomtien - perhaps JT can up date us if he tries the food.

My mouth is starting to water. I don't think my tastebuds can wait for JT much longer

Apart from goat, there are along of camel in western china. Especially camel foot, well like by the chinese.

In Pattaya, camel toe is a popular item.

• Like 1

Pretty basic market style food. Dumplings were great. Kung Pao chicken was way too spicy for my taste --- even my missus said WOW!!

Want to try something authentic -- go give it a bash - prices very reasonable. My wife enjoyed re-visiting her 'Mandarin' and had a long chat......

Would go back

If your only complaint about the Kung Pao was too spicy, I guess I'm going to have to try it as that's never my complaint. Agreed, so far, I think the dumplings are the star feature there along with the Chinese bread items. Edited by Jingthing

Would go back

i dont like spicey food, for me it kills the flavor varaiations in the meal. For example I only have 1 chili in my Som Tam. I did not find the Kung Pao Chicken more than mildly spiced chili-wise

BTW, I didn't see one dish with goat written on the menu. Perhaps I missed it as its such a big menu but I did peruse it a number of times.

me neither, nor duck, but one of their 5 photos is Beijing (Peking) Duck

Agreed. Didn't see duck listed on the menu but they had the picture. The picture looked good. I wonder how much.

BTW, I didn't see one dish with goat written on the menu. Perhaps I missed it as its such a big menu but I did peruse it a number of times.

me neither, nor duck, but one of their 5 photos is Beijing (Peking) Duck

Agreed. Didn't see duck listed on the menu but they had the picture. The picture looked good. I wonder how much.

That dish requires much preparation-cooking time, only restaurants specializing in that dish have it available for walk-in customers. The photo looks great but probably it costs an arm and a leg, and needs ordering in advance.

Yeah I'm sure it's a special order and it will be expensive. However, it's relative compared to the same dish in a fancy hotel restaurant, so it would be interesting to know their price.

Tell them (via panto) that you are the ThaiVisa food critic, maybe you get special pricelicklips.gif

That's a hilarious scenario to imagine!

Believe me, if I can get them to understand I want Sechuan peppercorns on their Sechuan dishes I would consider that a major coup.

Yeah I'm sure it's a special order and it will be expensive. However, it's relative compared to the same dish in a fancy hotel restaurant, so it would be interesting to know their price.

Tell them (via panto) that you are the ThaiVisa food critic, maybe you get special pricelicklips.gif

Believe me, if I can get them to understand I want Sechuan peppercorns on their Sechuan dishes I would consider that a major coup.

If I do go again I am bringing printed Google photos, that should work for said peppercorns, but today I am readying myself for my first visit to Sunrise.

Edited by jehricaholic

If I do go again I am bringing printed Google photos, that should work for said peppercorns

Are you sure you really want them? They are not hot spicy but they are spicy and if in proper portions that make your mouth sizzle, which not everyone likes. I love it. Also they should be cooked WITH actual hot pepper to create or else the flavor balance is wrong.

BTW, I wouldn't bet much money that they even HAVE the Sechuan peppercorns in their kitchen. I think they probably do, but I'm not sure. I asked for my lamb dish to be extra on the peppercorns and they made it spicy but if there were Sechuan peppercorns in it was so subtle that I couldn't be sure. Another poster here said they tasted them in another dish. Not sure if they actually know what they are, not meant to be insulting, just don't know. A lot of people think hot peppers are the same thing, and they're not.

This lack of knowledge about Sechuan peppercorns is probably very prevalent among older Americans who grew up eating "Sechuan" food in Chinese restaurants in the US. Until recent years, hilariously enough, Sechuan peppercorns were ILLEGAL in the US because of pest control issues. Now they are legal and authentic Sechuan food is becoming trendy. However, even now, some places don't want to serve them to Americans because they think they won't like the strange tingling thing and have also heard the excuse that someone choked to death on one. Of course using the peppercorns when called for in certain dishes isn't the only measure of good Sechuan food, but if they're missing when they should be there, that's a big fail.

Edited by Jingthing

huājiāo 花椒

Print out the above and hope that they can read Chinese

花椒 (peppercorn) has a special taste, apart from its nice fragrance. Not really spicy, but will give a "numb" and "shrinking" feeling to the tongue (and lips too!!). It is widely used in Sichuan food and is also a herbal stuff. It can cure stomachache, bodycoldness, toothache, belly worms, skin problem and also hair loss. I have one unopened package here but did not use it because of the fear that it will flame up the body heat in such a hot tropical area.... But, I will give it to the cook tomorrow if he doesn't have it here smile.png))

post-125519-0-00449200-1328949243_thumb.

post-125519-0-12459200-1328949277_thumb.

It can cure stomachache, bodycoldness, toothache, belly worms, skin problem and also hair loss.

I really like Szechuan food, and anything containing these peppercorns is fine by me - but I doubt any of the above is true.

Edited by londoedan
  • Like 1

It can cure stomachache, bodycoldness, toothache, belly worms, skin problem and also hair loss.

I really like Szechuan food, and anything containing these peppercorns is fine by me - but I doubt any of the above is true.

I believe the bit about the numb feeling. Took me ages to get accustomed to them - at first the bloody things were like novacaine....... They probably have some medicinal properties though these are often exaggerated.

I went and pointed to the steamed dumplings on the menu. The owner made oink oink sounds indicating pig. They were ok.

The chow mein I ordered was a bit too oily.

I'd try the place again.

Nice people there.

Edited by pauljones

Yeah, Chinese meat dumplings are usually pork, except at a Chinese Muslim eatery. Thanks for the report on the chow mein. I wouldn't have ordered that there, but so far two poor reports on noodle dishes.

About the Sechuan peppercorns, there is a foolproof test to see whether a dish has them in enough quantity. Sip some regular water. It becomes soda water in your mouth. Good fun.

For Duck Lovers:

(not the wild quacky kind, the flavorful roast kind)

As this is the Chinese food lover's thread du jour, I'll post my discovery here instead of starting a new thread.

I've found a very nice, thai run, hole-in-the-wall type, recently opened, Chinese style duck restaurant. It's located on 3'rd road (east side) about 100m north of Central (Klang) Pattaya road. The menu is small but it's feature is roast duck (you can see the roast ducks hanging inside the glass at the front of the restaurant.

The duck was very tasty and not very fatty, and the presentation was quite nice for a 40 baht dish. The congee was very authentic for a Chinese style rice soup and their (shrimp) wontons were tasty and fresh not frozen. I will definately make this place a regular part of my week.

As you can see below it is value priced for Thais, no inflated Falang pricing. If your in the area give it a try, it's open 10-10 daily.

Here are most of their menu items (from recollection):

(*items I tried on this first visit)

Roast duck @ 150 baht (family portion)

*Roast duck with rice @ 40 baht (single portion)

Roast duck stirfry with Basil @ 70 baht

*Shrimp wonton soup with/without roast duck @ 40 baht

*Roast duck congee @ 40 baht

Roast goose @ 250 baht

Crispy pork

Roast pork

• Like 1

Went there 2 times with friends. The owner family is from North East China, which is close to Russia. They speak quite good Russian but no English or Thai. They used to run restaurant in floating market for 2 years and just moved to here for 1 month.

My impression:

1. Boiled Jao Zi is indeed good. 70 baht for 10 Jao Zi. Northern Chinese are good at making wheat food.

2. Noodle with Soy Bean Paste is tasty, 60 baht. It is really "noodle". I also saw some farangs eating them. This noodle is a bit like cold noodle in Japanese/Korean dishes.

3. Dumplings, with meat or leek inside. They are outside, in the big pan. If you buy the freshly cooked ones, they are very jummy. But if they are cold, then not so nice. But still, many passing by people buy them

4. They have roasted duck, 1600 baht. We did not try it this time. The boss said it is no need to order in advance, normally it takes 1 hour to make this. One time some russians ordered one but could not eat it all up cause it is in big quantity

5. They have quite some spicy dishes, but not the exactly Sichuan style . I've given the peppercorn to the lady, maybe she will use it next time in mutton.

6. North East Chinese food involves lots of wheat food, stewed food and stir-fried food. They use lots of sauerkraut and wild mushrooms too. I did not try that yet so have no comment.

7. The price is averagely 2 times of that in China. And they also have quite some western style food.

If I have time, I will go back there sometimes to try more dishes :))

• Like 2

do they serve shark fin soup????

No, they dont. Shark Fin is a bloody expesive dish in China (if it is the real fin). This restaurant is just a humble folks' restaurant , ho ho violin.gif

I've seen several "humble" Chinese places in Pattaya and around Chonburi with SF on the menu, these places I wouldn't eat at. I do however like Chinese cuisine in general.