Chinese Restaurant In Soi Welcome

rmicheald

So... what exactly is good there nowadays?

I'd say the shredded potato dishes are a good bet, but order them spicy or they'll be boring. They still have boiled pork dumplings. They're OK. There are dishes I haven't tried yet, such as beef with eggplant. I used to like the Yu Shiang Eggplant with pork that was served ... surprise ... with no pork or meat of any kind but it doesn't appear to be on the new menu. Like I said, it's an adventure!

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They put in a minimal effort at this place.

Thumbs down.

I'm not arguing with that appraisal. The pattern of selling dishes without key ingredients is pretty inexcusable. That said, when they do produce that Sechuan flavor and I have have experienced it there (crap shoot), I don't know where else in town to go for that. But for the general public, it's a dicey proposition.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK, then. Good luck to those chefs back in Northern China!

When will they learn: we want American-style Chinese food! Nobody has done that in Pattaya-Jomtien, and sorry, but in my opinion, having lived in northern and southern China, nobody makes any decent Chinese-Chinese food, especially the type found in southern China.

Forget noodles and dumplings..........where is the good stuff? It is not here. I think that Pattaya-Jomtien could support an American-style Chinese food place w/ a lunch buffet and take out in the box, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

WARNING!

Please make sure you are sitting down before reading this astounding news flash!

The Welcome Plaza Chinese place APPEARS to be fixing to reopen on 3rd road near Le Parrot restaurant!

Why do I think that?

Well, I saw the same MENU SIGN from Jomtien sitting in front of a storefront (former?) Arabic restaurant on 3rd road near Le Parrot.

It didn't appear it was as yet a going concern, but a good clue that something might be happening.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, then. Good luck to those chefs back in Northern China!

When will they learn: we want American-style Chinese food! Nobody has done that in Pattaya-Jomtien, and sorry, but in my opinion, having lived in northern and southern China, nobody makes any decent Chinese-Chinese food, especially the type found in southern China.

Forget noodles and dumplings..........where is the good stuff? It is not here. I think that Pattaya-Jomtien could support an American-style Chinese food place w/ a lunch buffet and take out in the box, etc.

Likewise, thai restuarants in Oz, love the food, here, stick it.

• 4 months later...

Delizza, Pao... now this Chinese place... good places are always quick to close down - worse, I never have enough time to try them out.

what are other good places in Jomtien or Pattaya for Hong Kong style Chinese food (not like Chow Soy or Nam Sing!!) ?

WARNING!

Please make sure you are sitting down before reading this astounding news flash!

The Welcome Plaza Chinese place APPEARS to be fixing to reopen on 3rd road near Le Parrot restaurant!

Why do I think that?

Well, I saw the same MENU SIGN from Jomtien sitting in front of a storefront (former?) Arabic restaurant on 3rd road near Le Parrot.

It didn't appear it was as yet a going concern, but a good clue that something might be happening.

Don't you ever get bored?

WARNING!

Why do I think that?

Not in Pattaya as I am easily amused.

Anyway, thanks for bumping this thread.

I have not been down to that area of 3rd road since the report of the Chinese restaurant from Soi Welcome outside SIGN sighting. So I don't know if they ever opened in that area, or not.

Edited by Jingthing

WARNING!

Why do I think that?

Not in Pattaya as I am easily amused.

Anyway, thanks for bumping this thread.

I have not been down to that area of 3rd road since the report of the Chinese restaurant sighting. So I don't know if they ever opened in that area, or not.

No worries. I would have bumped it before but I'm just fresh back from my most recent ban (one month this time) bah.gif

Delizza, Pao... now this Chinese place... good places are always quick to close down - worse, I never have enough time to try them out.

what are other good places in Jomtien or Pattaya for Hong Kong style Chinese food (not like Chow Soy or Nam Sing!!) ?

Who said Pao was closed down? coffee1.gif Being closed for "sabbatical" is not the same thing as permanently closed.

Who said Pao was closed down? coffee1.gif Being closed for "sabbatical" is not the same thing as permanently closed.

You are technically right... in practice though, I haven't been able to eat there.

Any recommendation for a Chinese place though?

I miss cantonese rice and crispy duck.

I know China Garden, and yesterday I dined at Canton House in central. They deliver decent dishes and are good value, but it's not the cooking style I am after. And they should do something against the noise, it's as loud as in a railway station in there.