How Do These Two Models Compare?

Sophon

After much consideration I have finally decided to buy a new'ish used pick-up. I don't really have a preference for any particular brand or model, but when perusing the different used car web-sites it seems to me that the best deals are found on the Isuzu D-Max and the Nissan Navara. This honestly comes as a bit of a surprise to me, as I expected the best deals to be on Ford Ranger/Chevrolet Colorado/Mazda BT-50. I have always heard that these models have lower resale value compared to the more established brands (Toyota/Isuzu). But the selection of Rangers/Colorados/BT-50s (especially with automatic transmission which I want) is quite limited, so I find it hard to find good deals on these models. Is there a reason that almost all the Rangers and especially the BT-50s are manual transmission (I am guessing that for the latter it's a question of them having been marketed as a low cost alternative)?

Now to my question. In your opinion how do these two vehicles compare?:

2008 Nissan Navara 2.5L LE AT 4dr 4wd

2008 Isuzu D-Max 3.0L VGS LS AT 4dr 4wd

Given similar condition and price, which one would you choose between these two pick-ups and why?

In reality, all I need is an extended cab and 4wd probably isn't necessary, so I might decide to go for a lower spec'ed model. What is your general opinion on how comparable models of the 2007-2010 Nissan Navara and Isuzu D-Max stack up?

Any input is very much appreciated.

Sophon

Edited by Sophon

Good luck finding a used extended cab with an automatic, or any older pickup for that matter.

I have an '03 Isusu and an '09, I like them both. Both are 3L automatic 4dr. The '09 has a lot more power than the '03.

I don't like the way the Navara looks.

One big plus with Isuzu is the sevice.

Find somthing you think is good looking that drives nice. Quality wise I think the're all pretty good.

D-Max for its best in class fuel consumption and shift on the fly 4wd transfer via a button rather than a gear stick. I don't know if the 2008 has it but the 2009 has a superb sound system with USB input and a handy reversing camera. Also Navarra has the hearing aid beige interior.

Nissan Navara for its better (larger) brakes,and better ABS, and slightly better crash safety, still poor tho.

also prefere its engine over noisy Dmax, and 5auto

DMax for its brand name in Th and good suspension comfort

So the Navara has better brakes, engine and transmission while the D-Max better brand name, suspension and I assume service network (at least larger). Reading between the lines I guess you would on balance select the Navara, correct?

Are your comments specific to these two top 4wd models, or are they general for all models of these brands? Would you also consider e.g. the Navara 2.5L LE AT 2dr 2wd a better choice than the similarly priced (from new) D-Max 3.0L SLX AT 2dr 2wd? I believe this Navara model has less power than the top spec. version despite both having 2.5L engines.

Thanks for your comments.

Sophon

Good luck finding a used extended cab with an automatic, or any older pickup for that matter.

I have an '03 Isusu and an '09, I like them both. Both are 3L automatic 4dr. The '09 has a lot more power than the '03.

I don't like the way the Navara looks.

One big plus with Isuzu is the sevice.

Find somthing you think is good looking that drives nice. Quality wise I think the're all pretty good.

Not really a problem finding used Navara or D-Max pick-ups with AT for sale. Yes, there is a larger selection with MT, but still quite a few with AT.

I like the look of both the Navara and the D-Max so thats not an issue. I find the exterior slightly better looking for the Navara, but am not too crazy about the colour scheme of the interior. But it's not a serious consideration for me.

I expect Isuzu to have a much larger (and possibly better) service network but I don't mind driving some distance when going for the service checks. Does anyone have any experience wth the Nissan service centers?

Yes, from what I hear all the pick-ups sold in Thailand are pretty good quality. Realibility is my top priority, and I believe I will get that from any of the main brands.

Thank for your comments.

Sophon

D-Max for its best in class fuel consumption and shift on the fly 4wd transfer via a button rather than a gear stick. I don't know if the 2008 has it but the 2009 has a superb sound system with USB input and a handy reversing camera. Also Navarra has the hearing aid beige interior.

I believe that the top model 4wd Navara also have shift on the fly 4wd, reversing camera and sound system with USB (at least the models I have found used have). I agree that the colour scheme in the Navara is not the most pleasing, but it really isn't much of an issue for me.

Thank you for replying to my post.

Sophon

Nissan Navara for its better (larger) brakes,and better ABS, and slightly better crash safety, still poor tho.

also prefere its engine over noisy Dmax, and 5auto

DMax for its brand name in Th and good suspension comfort

So the Navara has better brakes, engine and transmission while the D-Max better brand name, suspension and I assume service network (at least larger). Reading between the lines I guess you would on balance select the Navara, correct?

Are your comments specific to these two top 4wd models, or are they general for all models of these brands? Would you also consider e.g. the Navara 2.5L LE AT 2dr 2wd a better choice than the similarly priced (from new) D-Max 3.0L SLX AT 2dr 2wd? I believe this Navara model has less power than the top spec. version despite both having 2.5L engines.

Thanks for your comments.

Sophon

I didnt say Dmax 4x4 has better suspension, I said more comfy. At a price, Navara handles much better loaded

brakes are same in all Navara, same on all Dmax, so is auto box, Navara detuned as 2wd to 144 hp from 177. Navara still wins me.

Both score porely in crash tests, navara due to airbag issues and collapsing footwel. DMax due to floor and roof collapsing, I d prefere a Navara crash

electric or stick shift on the fly, couldnt care less, both work great, stick will never be broke

navaras interior look cheapish, both have more cramped rearseat than Vigo and Triton

Some DMax come with some tv/dvd/camera gadgets if thats your thing.

I have owned both, D-Max is the much better and more comfortable car.

If you don't mind me asking, what exactly makes the D-Max the better car in your opinion? Any reliability issues with either of the ones you have owned?

Sophon

If you don't mind me asking, what exactly makes the D-Max the better car in your opinion? Any reliability issues with either of the ones you have owned?

Sophon

D-Max drives much more big sedan like, much more comfortable. Navara feels much smaller. D-Max also much better on fuel.

No reliability issues with either, except for one time the Navara indicated 'low oil' when there was still plenty. Probably just some dirt on the sensor or something like that. Just bought a new D-Max and sold my Navara.

Oh, and so far have had no issues with Isuzu service, with Nissanthe staff are cheaters, but that is probably a local issue. Many promises (service manual in English, navigation set etc.) broken, and on sales of the car they offered 60.000 Baht less than the 2-hand dealer next door (they would probably sell the car to him for that 60.000 Baht extra).

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 1

Sophon

D-Max drives much more big sedan like, much more comfortable. Navara feels much smaller. D-Max also much better on fuel.

No reliability issues with either, except for one time the Navara indicated 'low oil' when there was still plenty. Probably just some dirt on the sensor or something like that. Just bought a new D-Max and sold my Navara.

Oh, and so far have had no issues with Isuzu service, with Nissanthe staff are cheaters, but that is probably a local issue. Many promises (service manual in English, navigation set etc.) broken, and on sales of the car they offered 60.000 Baht less than the 2-hand dealer next door (they would probably sell the car to him for that 60.000 Baht extra).

Nissan Phuket are crap. Ordered a navara there january 2008, dark grey should take 3-4 weeks but I could have a black one on the spot, which is what they said every time I asked for the grey one, gave up in March-April, took another 6 weeks to get deposit back

Bought a Nav Kingcab 6 speed manual when they first came out, LE spec model. Good robust truck & took loads of abuse. Used when constructing two houses for moving building stuff & a general lugger on the wife's farm.

Two recalls, oil pump changed in 2007, and new door locks fitted for the rear suicide doors later.

Paid 619k THB & sold 4 years later 379k THB.

Now have a Toyo doublecab 3L auto Hilux, oh happy days.

rolleyes.gif

Do you like the way it looks and drives? IMO that what matters most.

Is that a question for a particular brand or just in general?I'm not too particular on looks, I think all the pick-ups here look just fine. Having never owned a car before, I am also not worried about being happy with the way it drives, as I am easily pleased. Being used to getting around with the song-thaews and local non airconditioned busses, I am sure that any of the pick-ups will be a step up in comfort. I am, however, concerned with reliability and to a certain extent also safety (I do want a model with ABS and dual airbags).Sophon

If you don't care how it looks or drives, buy the cheapest thing you can find that meets your needs and is still under warranty. If you want a large dealer network and the best resale value, go with Toyota or Isuzu.

They will all be reasonably reliable, and safety has more to do with the driver than anything.

At some point, you just have to pick something.

An unrelated question. Am I correct in thinking that the 2007/2008 model Ford Ranger 2.5L XLT Hi-Rider 4dr 2wd AT only has driver side airbag?

Sophon

Nobody know the answer to this? Also, same question for the 2008 Toyota Hilux Vigo 3.0 G 4dr 2wd.

I have found it very difficult to find the specifications for earlier models of Thai pick-ups, so if anyone has a link/links to a webpage with this information it is very much appreciated.

Sophon

Edited by Sophon

An unrelated question. Am I correct in thinking that the 2007/2008 model Ford Ranger 2.5L XLT Hi-Rider 4dr 2wd AT only has driver side airbag?

Sophon

Nobody know the answer to this? Also, same question for the 2008 Toyota Hilux Vigo 3.0 G 4dr 2wd.

I have found it very difficult to find the specifications for earlier models of Thai pick-ups, so if anyone has a link/links to a webpage with this information it is very much appreciated.

Sophon

Vigo pre november 2008, one airbag only. New model late 2008, 2 airbags in G model

as for the Ranger, a 2007 has such poor crash safety, passengers airbag cant do much difference. at 60kmh head on with a concrete wall or 18 wheeler, there is nothing left of occopants cage anyway

another matter is if you trust 5 yo airbags to work as designed, I do not

I don't know about those specific models, but in recent years, top models generally have two air bags, and something in the interior will allude to that fact. Why not ask the people selling the vehicles?

Unfortunately, when buying used, you may not be able to tell if the airbag has already been deployed. Unscrupulous body-shops may not replace the airbag when they repair a vehicle.

I don't know about those specific models, but in recent years, top models generally have two air bags, and something in the interior will allude to that fact. Why not ask the people selling the vehicles?

Unfortunately, when buying used, you may not be able to tell if the airbag has already been deployed. Unscrupulous body-shops may not replace the airbag when they repair a vehicle.

and there is no need for a body damage to blow up airbags, airborne for 20 meters or hit pavement with wheels is sufficient

Sophon

Sophon

Vigo pre november 2008, one airbag only. New model late 2008, 2 airbags in G model

as for the Ranger, a 2007 has such poor crash safety, passengers airbag cant do much difference. at 60kmh head on with a concrete wall or 18 wheeler, there is nothing left of occopants cage anyway

another matter is if you trust 5 yo airbags to work as designed, I do not

Hope mine does. laugh.png

Isuzu probably has better re-sale prospects.

however the Navara is slightly bigger - wider - and goes like a ROCKET - the first of the high-HP 2.5 turbos that all the companies are releasing this year. (at 174 it was the most powerful pickup on the market - on paper at least).

Back seats on the Navara 4 door are frankly an embarrassment - uncomfortable and low quality - they really should be better on a truck this size (it really is quite big)

The Navara is also rather low for a 4wd.

Another problem with the Navara is that if you want to "customise" the wheels you have vey little choice as for some obscure reason it has hubs that are completely incompatible with any other vehicles so any wheels have to be made for that model alone.

The "Calibre" version is considerably less powerful

Isuzus seem to get REALLY rattly engine after a couple of years - Im sure there is no real problem but it is just aggravating.

As you now know the Isuzu is being replaced with a new model

I don't think this is going to happen to the Navara for a couple of years or so.

Edited by Histavia

Back seats on the Navara 4 door are frankly an embarrassment - uncomfortable and low quality - they really should be better on a truck this size (it really is quite big)

Not a big problem for me, as mentioned in my OP all I really "need" is an extended cab. The back seats will be empty at least 95% of the time, and I'm sure they will suffice if and when we need to transport more than two people. But thanks for the "heads up".

Another problem with the Navara is that if you want to "customise" the wheels you have vey little choice as for some obscure reason it has hubs that are completely incompatible with any other vehicles so any wheels have to be made for that model alone.

Absolutely no plans now or ever to customize whatever vehicle I buy.

I believe that to be the case for all models other than the 4wd ones.

Thanks for your comments, much appreciated.

Sophon

Not a big problem for me, as mentioned in my OP all I really "need" is an extended cab. The back seats will be empty at least 95% of the time, and I'm sure they will suffice if and when we need to transport more than two people. But thanks for the "heads up".

Absolutely no plans now or ever to customize whatever vehicle I buy.

I believe that to be the case for all models other than the 4wd ones.

Thanks for your comments, much appreciated.

Sophon

power, yep, 2wd 144hp, 4x4 174 hp. Not really that huge difference due to weight and friction of 4x4

If you dont really need the rear seat that much, I would consider 2+2 door legally seating max 3 in one seat row, as much lower annual road tax. slightly firmer suspension in 2008, more difference later when Navara went softer on rear leaves in 2010 in 4 door

I can't really get my head around the logistics of getting insurance when buying a used pick-up. I know that I can get compulsory insurance at the DLT, but how do I arrange for comprehensive insurance? I don't want to be uninsured should I have an accident driving the vehicle back home from the DLT.

Sophon

I can't really get my head around the logistics of getting insurance when buying a used pick-up. I know that I can get compulsory insurance at the DLT, but how do I arrange for comprehensive insurance? I don't want to be uninsured should I have an accident driving the vehicle back home from the DLT.

Sophon

contact an agent or Insurance companies when you have found something you are interested in buying. They will check into vehicles insurance history, and thus can tell you number and size of claims. If none, vehicles No Claim Bonus follows vehicle, and they will give you a quote. None will insure without inspecting/photo vehicle

make sure an insurance doc is issued when you have paid, and you have valid insurance. some agents just issue you a bill of amount, but actually sits on the money for days, making you non insured until they pay

Sophon

contact an agent or Insurance companies when you have found something you are interested in buying. They will check into vehicles insurance history, and thus can tell you number and size of claims. If none, vehicles No Claim Bonus follows vehicle, and they will give you a quote. None will insure without inspecting/photo vehicle

make sure an insurance doc is issued when you have paid, and you have valid insurance. some agents just issue you a bill of amount, but actually sits on the money for days, making you non insured until they pay

Thanks for the reply, but I still don't get it. As you say, no insurance company will insure without inspecting the vehicle, but how can they inspect until I own the car? And I can't/don't want to take out the insurance until I own the car in case the deal falls through.

Sophon

Sophon

Thanks for the reply, but I still don't get it. As you say, no insurance company will insure without inspecting the vehicle, but how can they inspect until I own the car? And I can't/don't want to take out the insurance until I own the car in case the deal falls through.

Sophon

so you take ownership, and then insure, usually done in a day

however buying a used car with bad insurance record could cost you 10-15k baht a year next 3-5 years

one usually enter a pre purchase/pre sale agreement, sort things like insurance and complete transfer/payment

and it is convinient to buy a new car