Thai Big Bikes

SumetCycle

I know Kawasaki is the only manufacturer out of the big four that makes big bikes here in Thailand. I also know that the new Honda big bikes that will be on offer here are going to be made in Japan. What about Yamaha and Suzuki? Are the bikes they have available at official dealers here made in Japan or other countries? I've tried Google, but can't seem to get any clear answers. Thanks in advance for any help.

Brian

I think you may find (I'll be corrected if I'm wrong lol) that barring Kawasaki and soon to be Honda all the other big bikes are imports.

This is reflected in the price - Around 1M Baht for a new R1?

It's all down to these crazy import taxes and duties Thailand charge to bring vehicles in from abroad.

Easiest way is to pop into your local bike dealers and just ask them.

It's all down to these crazy import taxes and duties Thailand charge to bring vehicles in from abroad.

The import taxes etc look crazy but how many people in Thailand actually pay the correct taxes? The prime minister and/or his family didn't and he should be setting an example.

People in Thailand make money however they can and do or don't pay taxes (you can decide which is the correct statement) then they want to spend their money but they want stuff from overseas which means the money must leave the country. So the government says OK that will be X% for import tax so they can get back the tax that should have been paid in the first place.

It is a bit like the theory of abolishing income tax and raising (slightly) sales tax or VAT depending on your country of origin. By doing so drug dealers for instance who want flash motors would have to pay tax on their vehicle to compensate for the tax they didn't pay on their illicit earnings. This would hold true for all cash businesses like bar owners, hookers etc.

The rest of the population who liked the extra income could choose to make extravagant purchases and pay tax or not.

Thanks for the responses guys. I had read that Yamaha makes some bikes in India and that Suzuki makes some of their bikes in China and Taiwan. I was just wondering if the bikes they have available on the Thai market were made in Japan, or other countries.

I wish any of the factories would have tours - Nice to see how it is done. I would even pay to watch my new bike made and ride it off so to speak

I've always wanted to do that myself. Perhaps they could let you put the last bolt in your new bike as well. If Honda ever starts making big bikes here, maybe I could arrange a tour. Unless of course, it's all top secret.

Ducatti makes some bikes here (check the website; there is a Thai flag next to the models made here).

I know Triumph manufacturers here; I believe they have a factory by the side of the route 9 motorway to the east of Bangkok (well a factory has Triumph written on it).

I know the Japanese are looking to move more manufacturing outside Japan as the high Yen is severely affecting them, so maybe we will see more bike manufacturing move here? Thailand is certainly the place for it, what with all the local support companies available for parts.

Thanks for the responses guys. I had read that Yamaha makes some bikes in India and that Suzuki makes some of their bikes in China and Taiwan. I was just wondering if the bikes they have available on the Thai market were made in Japan, or other countries.

Suzuki and Yamaha have factories all over the world, from Brazil to Vietnam, from Indonesia to India, but for now most large discplacement motorcycles are still manufactured in Japan.

I wish any of the factories would have tours - Nice to see how it is done. I would even pay to watch my new bike made and ride it off so to speak

Kawasaki, Thailand has factory tours at least once a year :)

0314KwackerFctry2.jpg

I recall that Tiger Motor has also offered a couple of tours.

Suzuki and Yamaha have factories all over the world, from Brazil to Vietnam, from Indonesia to India, but for now most large discplacement motorcycles are still manufactured in Japan.

I figured as much for the small bikes, but wasn't sure about how it worked with the big bikes. Thanks.

I've always wanted to do that myself. Perhaps they could let you put the last bolt in your new bike as well. If Honda ever starts making big bikes here, maybe I could arrange a tour. Unless of course, it's all top secret.

Yes !! Top secret MotoGP bikes as well, i could tell you but i'd have to kill you after.ph34r.png

• 3 weeks later...

Triumph makes them here. Know a worker there. They are all bonded for export.

Been hearing domestic sales are around the corner for years now. Fingers crossed.

Quality at Triumph Thailand is apparently at the highest standards from the info I hear.

Triumph makes them here. Know a worker there. They are all bonded for export.

Been hearing domestic sales are around the corner for years now. Fingers crossed.

Quality at Triumph Thailand is apparently at the highest standards from the info I hear.

Triumph only assembles twins at their Thai factory. Bonneville, Thruxton and... can't remember the name of the other Triumph twin. All other Triumphs are still manufactured in the UK.

I know my girlfriend has been on a Honda factory tour with some of her AP Honda salesteam clients so it can obviously be arranged.