Aortic Heart Valve Replacement Surgery – Anyone Had Any Personal Experience?

Mobi

Read through the 7 or 8 pages ,all I can say is poor Mobi,did not see a conclusion

Mobi ,although he left Thailand about 2 ish years ago,with wife and child did blog frequently with his ongoing life in the UK ,and did frequently,fascinating reading ,and had a lot of followers,however it all came to a juddering halt December 28 last year,not a peep since then.

A moderator here has altered his settings to receive emails,just hope and pray he is still with us,but one of last pics he did look exhausted     True character Mobi,one of the best ex-pats in Thailand if you could follow his blogs and see.  Hope the 4 dogs he had to re-home are all OK,would have had one but already got 5

13 hours ago, Sheryl said:

He had the surgery years ago and it went fine. Returned to the UK some years ago.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Without insurance in Thailand I guess it was the only choice. 

Though the procedure has a high rate of success, it does require follow up monitoring examinations that without insurance could get expensive.

Echocardiograms, electrocardiograms, stress tests and ongoing relationship with cardiologist that would monitor your progress. 

IMO, anyone without insurance should be aware of the above point.

7 hours ago, sirineou said:

Without insurance in Thailand I guess it was the only choice. 

Though the procedure has a high rate of success, it does require follow up monitoring examinations that without insurance could get expensive.

Echocardiograms, electrocardiograms, stress tests and ongoing relationship with cardiologist that would monitor your progress. 

IMO, anyone without insurance should be aware of the above point.

He had the op in Thailand,about 600,000 12000 gbp. Mobi got it wrong tho,he could have gone back to the UK and had the op for free,its what you tell 'em,but he had family here in Thailand ,leaving them. A great believer in marriage,he tried it around 6 times,liked the pop too,but changed.

Yes Thailand for insurance,they like ripping farangs off,  all the above you mention for around 3/500 baht,consutants fee too   India frightened Mobi for the fact of waking up in a strange land,lots of people go there for treatment to escape the mind boggling charges of Thailand,me inc.    Come back Mobi,all forgiven,really hope it is not the end of him,really do

Christ knows the charges in Thailand's for profit private hospitals where most farangs end up 

Heart Valve Replacement Surgery by Desun Hospital And Heart  India  2 hours away  5000 baht return

Rs. 200000.00/100,000 baht      Some dearer,some cheaper,this place likened to a conveyor belt,they do that many
Edited by oxysong

He did not pay 600K baht. He had it done at a government hospital and cost at that time was under 200K.

However over time, between that and other health problems his savings were being steadily eroded and he saw the handwriting on the wall and opted to go back to the UK before he was bankrupted by medical expenses.

A wose choice IMO.

Of course this sort of problem can be averted by taking out insurance before one gets ill but a surprising number of people do not even think of it until they are already ill.

We get several threads a year in effect saying " I have condition X and need treatment costing X baht, how do I go about getting an insurance policy that will pay for it?" and the answer, of course, is you don't. That is not how insurance works.

53 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

He did not pay 600K baht. He had it done at a government hospital and cost at that time was under 200K.

However over time, between that and other health problems his savings were being steadily eroded and he saw the handwriting on the wall and opted to go back to the UK before he was bankrupted by medical expenses.

A wose choice IMO.

Of course this sort of problem can be averted by taking out insurance before one gets ill but a surprising number of people do not even think of it until they are already ill.

We get several threads a year in effect saying " I have condition X and need treatment costing X baht, how do I go about getting an insurance policy that will pay for it?" and the answer, of course, is you don't. That is not how insurance works.

Sheryl,

"Of course this sort of problem can be averted by taking out insurance before one gets ill but a surprising number of people do not even think of it until they are already ill.".  I am hearing that some policies in Thailand will cover a patient with pre existing conditions, albiet at a higher rate. I myself assumed I would be a teacher here and be covered by the school's insurance.  I ended doing pay as you go and freelance work. I already had pre existing conditions before I came here and the insurance policies seemed very useless here. Pay as you go seemed to be the way to go..However, shortly before my newest diagnosis I was thinking again about getting insurance again.   If I can get insured here I will stay otherwise it makes sense to go back to the USA ASAP before a serious medical event/events or procedure starts to slowly eat into my savings and/or my health becomes rotten enough that flying back to the states becomes dangerous. 

9 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

The only way to find out re coverage is to apply and see what various companies offer you (they will mot all be the same).I suggest you work with a broker. AA insurance is good.

Sheryl--thanks I am doing just that...And words cannot express my gratitude for all of the wisdom and support you have provided to myself and many others on this board....)  Wish I could make a joke here but all I can do is express my honest, heartfelt gratitude. Warmest Regards, David Pearl

1. You can bet your life the quote will be in orbit,if at all  Get to an age its hardly worth while anyway,and just half an hour in a private for profit hospital will set you back ten million or so.   My estimation,not worth it,its India or bust....guy on here paid 36500 gbp for op in BKK hospital,same-same op India  3000 gbp,get a mole removed and analysed 42500 baht,another recently 17500 baht...over there 500 baht and so on.  Id get it for free in UK  but the waiting

6 hours ago, Sheryl said:

$6300,  That is incredibly  inexpensive . 

I had it done in The US , and if I remember it cost correctly  about $ 180.000. (insurance paid everything) 

5 hours ago, newarrior said:

Sheryl,

I am hearing that some policies in Thailand will cover a patient with pre existing conditions, albiet at a higher rate. 

Insurance companies, like any other business are in the business of making money. Perhaps they will cover some  preexisting conditions, if such preexisting conditions had a low likelihood of  requiring interventions that will cost more than the collected premiums, otherwise they would not remain in business for very long.

They will sometimes offet an option of covering a specific condition for a higher premium.

Depends on the insurer (and of course affordability of that higher premium may be an issue, especially in OP's case where the issue is a mild heart valve problem that stands a high chance of eventually requiring cardiac surgery).

• 2 weeks later...

I got insured by Pacific Cross for cardiac issues and strokes but not for the valve-2 year wait. The question is whether or not it is safe to go without coverage for the valve for two years. I am going to meet with my doctor again here to discuss those probabilities.  Will probably raise the issue with an American doctor towards the end of July. I may decide it's not worth the risk, come back to Thailand, cancel my policy and come back to the states for good.

I got insured by Pacific Cross for cardiac issues and strokes but not for the valve-2 year wait. The question is whether or not it is safe to go without coverage for the valve for two years. I am going to meet with my doctor again here to discuss those probabilities.  Will probably raise the issue with an American doctor towards the end of July. I may decide it's not worth the risk, come back to Thailand, cancel my policy and come back to the states for good.
Thanks for that feedback.

A very reasonable approach by Pacific Cross IMO. Certainly better than what many insurers would have done.

No one can guarantee you whether or not you'll need valve replacement within 2 years but from what you describe you might well go quite a number of years before the valve becomes an issue. Would help to know the LVEF (ejection fraction) as it is when it drops below 50% that surgery would be considered.

19 hours ago, newarrior said:

When I had my condition diagnosed, we monitored the condition  and delayed the procedure for a couple of years.My decision was for personal reasons,but...

The technology for aortic valve replacement is advancing a such a fast rate, that if it is safe for you to delay it for a couple of years , it might be a good idea to do so.  Going back in the states for it might also be a good idea if you apt for some of the more advanced procedures that might not be available in Thailand yet.

Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) i a minimally invasive procedure that depending on age and or risk is being performed now, the technology is advancing to the point where in the near future would be recommended for 80-90% of patients.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/cardiology/pci/77156

7 hours ago, Sheryl said:

A very reasonable approach by Pacific Cross IMO. Certainly better than what many insurers would have done.

No one can guarantee you whether or not you'll need valve replacement within 2 years but from what you describe you might well go quite a number of years before the valve becomes an issue. Would help to know the LVEF (ejection fraction) as it is when it drops below 50% that surgery would be considered.

Play Jackson fraction is over 60% I confirm that last week is considered to be the same as the normal population of the average human.. thanks for bringing that out. I brought that up with my doctor directly last week. I'm going to reassess with him and a doctor in Los Angeles at the end of next month if I decide after seeing those two people that the risk is too high then I'll simply cancel the plan exit out of Thailand go back to the States

54 minutes ago, sirineou said:

When I had my condition diagnosed, we monitored the condition  and delayed the procedure for a couple of years.My decision was for personal reasons,but...

The technology for aortic valve replacement is advancing a such a fast rate, that if it is safe for you to delay it for a couple of years , it might be a good idea to do so.  Going back in the states for it might also be a good idea if you apt for some of the more advanced procedures that might not be available in Thailand yet.

Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) i a minimally invasive procedure that depending on age and or risk is being performed now, the technology is advancing to the point where in the near future would be recommended for 80-90% of patients.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/cardiology/pci/77156

TAVR is happening in Thailand------still recommeded for more frail patients

On 6/6/2019 at 9:09 AM, Sheryl said:

I am now getting information that indicates I may never be covered for my aortic stenosis issues even after the 2 year wait i.e. the exclusions may be permanent and never lifted>Digging further..>This sadly could spell the end of my time in Thailand unless I am willing to pay cash for any future surgical interventions and/or get back to the states when needed for treatment...Even if I am years away from needing my valve replaced there would be no sense staying in Thailand, putting more roots here..>Sad

11 hours ago, newarrior said:

I am now getting information that indicates I may never be covered for my aortic stenosis issues even after the 2 year wait i.e. the exclusions may be permanent and never lifted>Digging further..>This sadly could spell the end of my time in Thailand unless I am willing to pay cash for any future surgical interventions and/or get back to the states when needed for treatment...Even if I am years away from needing my valve replaced there would be no sense staying in Thailand, putting more roots here..>Sad

What exactly does the exclusion section on your policy say?

LVEF of 60 indicates you are some years away from needing valve replacement, how many no one can say exactly.  However should you end up needing cardiac surgical intervention anyhow for another reason (e.g.for  coronary artery disease) it would be prudent to replace the vvlve while at it rather than have to have another surgical intervention down the line for the valve.

32 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

LVEF of 60 indicates you are some years away from needing valve replacement, how many no one can say exactly.  However should you end up needing cardiac surgical intervention anyhow for another reason (e.g.for  coronary artery disease) it would be prudent to replace the vvlve while at it rather than have to have another surgical intervention down the line for the valve.

Thanks yes I confirmed on the LVEF...Only activity related warning is not overdoing weights in the gym so as not to spike my blood pressure. I am covered for cardiac intervention but not valve intervention--agreed valve being replace at the same time

Just now, newarrior said:

Thanks yes I confirmed on the LVEF...Only activity related warning is not overdoing weights in the gym so as not to spike my blood pressure. I am covered for cardiac intervention but not valve intervention--agreed valve being replace at the same time

UW_PCHI1742#A.pdf

Just now, newarrior said:

37 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

gtUW_PCHI1742#A.pdf 1.75 MB · 0 downloads

What is the approx cost of a Stent OP at private hospital and Mission hospital, my Dad had this at about my age and many ex work mates have had it too, I'm due a Stress test in Oct to check if I have any problem, I never get out of breath during exercise so I'm guessing I'm fine but no harm asking questions.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, Badrabbit said:

What is the approx cost of a Stent OP at private hospital and Mission hospital, my Dad had this at about my age and many ex work mates have had it too, I'm due a Stress test in Oct to check if I have any problem, I never get out of breath during exercise so I'm guessing I'm fine but no harm asking questions.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Costs vary with the number of stents required. For a single stent, about 400,000 - 450,000 baht.

1/3 as much  if done at a government hospital.

• Like 1

I think if you stay in Thailand Sririrav I may have misspelled it is the way to go. It's a long-established hospital that's connected to a lot of University and research work. It's got direct connections to the royal family it's even got it down it's from the Rockefeller Center. My understanding is they do a lot of heart and valves surgeries there. Yes the whole getting registered thing in the beginnings of nightmare from what I understand obviously you're going to have to go back there multiple times see an interpreter get registered get with a GP then get with a cardiologist then get the echo down but eventually if you can deal with all the upfront bulshit you could probably get really good low cost valve surgery. My concern would be the post op with their be language barriers what kind of post off with a provide I'm assuming that have to Prior probably hire somebody to do some home health care if I can't get friends or family probably have to drift nurses or physical therapy. If I'm lucky by the time I get the surgery done the surgery will be the quick tavi.. but that all depends on all the extracurriculars of your condition or whether or not that's a for whether or not you need to go through traditional barbaric open heart surgery route but yeah for me it's pretty scary cuz I don't have proper insurance for this year and I'm single and married no kids no family so I couldn't count on anybody taking care of me unfortunately my situation wouldn't be that different in America I don't have anybody to take care of me there no friends or family either and Home Health Care would be astronomical as opposed to in Thailand tough call

That is Siriraj.

Chulalongkhorn is equally good, and for cardiac procedures if involving open heatt surgery Rajawithi in my opion would be the preferred govt hosp. It was the first hospital in Thailand to do cardiac surgery and perfusionist training is based there.

Government hospitals are not able to provide translators. Patient has to arrange this on their own. They also do not do home health care; the cost of staying in the hospital is so low that it really does not make much sense. They kepp patients hospitalized much longer here than for the same thing in the US.

Aside from translstion it is best (and customary) to have someone stay in tbe hospital with you...and absolutely essential if staying in a "special" (private or semi private) room.

50 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

That is Siriraj.

Chulalongkhorn is equally good, and for cardiac procedures if involving open heatt surgery Rajawithi in my opion would be the preferred govt hosp. It was the first hospital in Thailand to do cardiac surgery and perfusionist training is based there.

Government hospitals are not able to provide translators. Patient has to arrange this on their own. They also do not do home health care; the cost of staying in the hospital is so low that it really does not make much sense. They kepp patients hospitalized much longer here than for the same thing in the US.

Aside from translstion it is best (and customary) to have someone stay in tbe hospital with you...and absolutely essential if staying in a "special" (private or semi private) room.

Yeah not to be a broken record nobody's coming with me to the hospital nobody's going to stay with me nobody's going to be available for me post op I can almost guarantee that that's going to be the same whether I'm in America or Thailand that's just my sad lonely depressing reality.

51 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

That is Siriraj.

Good to know all of this. Thank you. So they keep you in the hospital a little bit longer that's great that can minimize the need for home health care. Anywhere you can recommend as far as finding people to help me manage things post off? I assume that means I probably have to have a condo that's got at least two bedrooms in case I need somebody to sleep over with me in a separate room. Are you telling me even the nurses and doctors and other surgical professionals won't speak good English? That sounds really scary when dealing with potential open heart surgery. Any other tips on dealing with this Hospital are appreciated the perfusionist I appreciate that as well