Why Buy An Isuzu D-Max

albhol

anyone seen any crash tests yet for 2012 DMax and /or Colorado?

anyone seen any brake tests yet?

anyone seen any objective fuel figures yet, as AUS or EU?

as for brand loyalty, me to non existing, even checked out Tata in 2008

None of the above exist yet.

Perhaps nobody survived eh. laugh.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry but the last bit of your quote doesn't match the facts. The brakes (although not brilliant) are adequate for a truck, the performance of the old model was the equal of the Vigo, the new one is outgunned by 20bhp by the Ford/Mazda. I expect in real world conditions for the majority of drivers that means very little. The engine is noisy outside the truck but not inside and has far superior longevity and economy than its competitors. Also they haven't just kept the same engine as the new one puts out 180 bhp and the old one was 163 bhp. At the end of the day no matter what KBB thinks it will outsell the Ranger/weird looking Mazda. I've seen stacks of new D-Max here in Rayong but not a single Ranger/weird Mazda.

No doubt Isuzu brand name will outsell Mazda and Ford in Thailand for possibly another decade. But in Thailand only. The rest of the world require more.

DMax kept their old fashioned 3,0 diesel 120 hp, 220 Nm to 2006, then forced into commonrail age by Euro III emision in TH. In 2002 Toyota Hilux started commonrail, iniltially 130hp as I recall, in October 2004 it was 163hp/345Nm, some 50% more than DMax 3,0

2002-2011 DMax brakes managing 100-0kmh in 55-72 meters where never adequate. Competition managed 43-50 meters. The last meters are mortal. I assume we do not need to go into its 90s 3 sensor ABS system

I was driving a 2011 Dmax with all the whistels and bells a few weeks ago. Its stone age, except for the screens and cameras

Does this really mean that the Isuzu D-MAX uses still a 3-channel ABS, while the competition uses a 4-channel ABS?

I'm sorry but the last bit of your quote doesn't match the facts. The brakes (although not brilliant) are adequate for a truck, the performance of the old model was the equal of the Vigo, the new one is outgunned by 20bhp by the Ford/Mazda. I expect in real world conditions for the majority of drivers that means very little. The engine is noisy outside the truck but not inside and has far superior longevity and economy than its competitors. Also they haven't just kept the same engine as the new one puts out 180 bhp and the old one was 163 bhp. At the end of the day no matter what KBB thinks it will outsell the Ranger/weird looking Mazda. I've seen stacks of new D-Max here in Rayong but not a single Ranger/weird Mazda.

No doubt Isuzu brand name will outsell Mazda and Ford in Thailand for possibly another decade. But in Thailand only. The rest of the world require more.

DMax kept their old fashioned 3,0 diesel 120 hp, 220 Nm to 2006, then forced into commonrail age by Euro III emision in TH. In 2002 Toyota Hilux started commonrail, iniltially 130hp as I recall, in October 2004 it was 163hp/345Nm, some 50% more than DMax 3,0

2002-2011 DMax brakes managing 100-0kmh in 55-72 meters where never adequate. Competition managed 43-50 meters. The last meters are mortal. I assume we do not need to go into its 90s 3 sensor ABS system

I was driving a 2011 Dmax with all the whistels and bells a few weeks ago. Its stone age, except for the screens and cameras

Does this really mean that the Isuzu D-MAX uses still a 3-channel ABS, while the competition uses a 4-channel ABS?

last time I read 2012 Dmax/Colorado spec it said 2 sensor abs on 4x4

all competition in Th have been using 4 sensor for at least a decade

its not only about sensors, aven a 4 sensor can be really slow on activating frequency, this increasing braking distance but cheap to develope and manufactor

so what I am looking forward to is some objective tests on 2012 DMax, brakes, crash safety, performance and fuel

last time I read 2012 Dmax/Colorado spec it said 2 sensor abs on 4x4

all competition in Th have been using 4 sensor for at least a decade

its not only about sensors, aven a 4 sensor can be really slow on activating frequency, this increasing braking distance but cheap to develope and manufactor

so what I am looking forward to is some objective tests on 2012 DMax, brakes, crash safety, performance and fuel

D-Max brochure says 4 sensor.

The joys of choosing a new pick-up! No, I am not jealous....really I am not!

yep , i know the feeling ,

dont , they make me wanna puke up .

cheap charlie limousines are the most economical ,

tuk tuk , jap.gif

...yes..and I liked it better than my Toyota before...and I've driven Isuzu as well...so,what's your point?

no point i guess, izu and vigo are just slow, underpowered, low on spec, small and cramped compared to bt50 and ranger, in addition they lack latest tech, but give them a few years and they might find the funds to develope or copy them, yeah, yeah its saturday night, and I am spending it quietly to go for a bike blast early morning

...yes..and I liked it better than my Toyota before...and I've driven Isuzu as well...so,what's your point?

no point i guess, izu and vigo are just slow, underpowered, low on spec, small and cramped compared to bt50 and ranger, in addition they lack latest tech, but give them a few years and they might find the funds to develope or copy them, yeah, yeah its saturday night, and I am spending it quietly to go for a bike blast early morning

Toyota copy, hmmmmmmmmm, noooooooo, they have their own agenda. drunk.gif

PS. Others copy Toyota, just look at the ''new'' offerings from others.

come on T/A, give mazda and ford a chance, they have been providing crap pickups for past 20 years, finally they present something better than hilux

• Like 1

come on T/A, give mazda and ford a chance, they have been providing crap pickups for past 20 years, finally they present something better than hilux

clap2.gif

This is my point, why has it taken the Ford giant decades to create a truck that Asians ''might'' buy. They let the likes of Toyota rule the roost. I can understand why British Leyland Cars went bust cos they designed cars nobody liked and they paid the price, Ford won't go bust but they have paid the price here.,

Across the pond in USA, Ford are producing the goods, but lets face it, even Toyota trucks there are better than in LOS.

I am amused when people talk about new engine technology. What exactly is this new technology? Isuzu has an outdated engine? Why then are the Isuzu and Ford number one and two as far as fuel economy? As far as I am concerned, fuel economy tells me which is the most advanced engine. How else would you judge?

I am amused when people talk about new engine technology. What exactly is this new technology? Isuzu has an outdated engine? Why then are the Isuzu and Ford number one and two as far as fuel economy? As far as I am concerned, fuel economy tells me which is the most advanced engine. How else would you judge?

One of the persons telling this is also saying Honda motorbikes has outdated engines, Suzuki is much more modern.

Maybe the Honda engines are outdated, but they are very reliable, very durable and every motorbike mechanic can do all repairs. So I just bought a new Honda, not Suzuki.

BTW, also ordered a new Isuzu, very reliable, very durable, 2-hand value very high and comfortable ride.

Modern and better are not synonomus IMO.

While I like the new Ford and Mazda (have driven the Ford), I have a three year old Isuzu and I really don’t see any significant difference in the ride, roominess, comfort or power in the new Ford. I only sat in the Mazda, but I assume it would be similar to driving the Ford. That said, I have the 3L automatic Isuzu, and I drove the 2.2L automatic Ford, the 3.2 might be a whole new ballgame, but I doubt very much when I do drive it (and I will) that it will be a life changing experience.

In my opinion, Isuzu builds a fine product, and if you like the way it looks and drives you won’t go far wrong buying one. I liken it to buying a new stereo or TV, I don’t need pages of documentation and an oscilloscope to pick one.

Hope Isuzu on the new stuff has done away with the very old tech ancillary V drive belt. coffee1.gif

Yeah, that's a real deal breaker.

Yeah, it would be for me cos what else is old tech that you cannot see. cowboy.gif

post-41816-0-68678200-1330415507_thumb.j

Heres a pic of Poly-V pulleys l machined myself to bring stuff up to date and stop slippage, belt tossing and breakage.

Edited by transam
  • Like 1

Hope Isuzu on the new stuff has done away with the very old tech ancillary V drive belt. coffee1.gif

Yeah, it would be for me cos what else is old tech that you cannot see. cowboy.gif

Heres a pic of Poly-V pulleys l machined myself to bring stuff up to date and stop slippage, belt tossing and breakage.

Nice mill. I’m 54 and I’ve had quite a few vehicles ranging from a B-model Mack with a 15-speed triplex to a Ford Festiva and a whole lot in between, but I’ve never had a belt break. I’ve changed a few, but never been stuck due to a belt. In fact, the only belt I can remember breaking was on a Bridgeport knee mill a few years ago, and that was probably more do to frequent speed changes than actual wear.

Gates makes most of the OEM belts and hoses and they’re pretty tough to beat.

Isuzu diesel engines are chain driven. I could be wrong but I think they are one of the only Thai pickups with this system.

Isuzu diesel engines are chain driven. I could be wrong but I think they are one of the only Thai pickups with this system.

I are talking about ancillary drive.

Nissan YD Diesel engines have chain driven DOHC. Owned a Frontier 2.7L and Navara 2.5L, frigging bullet proof!, replaced the Nav with a Toyota Weego, which is belt driven surprisingly.

PS: the new D Max has a nice shape to it, spotted a white 4 door yesterday.

ph34r.png

Timing belts are certainly NOT better, they are simply cheaper. If you don't change a timing belt when specified in the owner's manual, you are taking a chance of trashing the engine. Picture the open valves driving through the top of the pistons and on occasion even breaking the cam shaft.