Le Strogonoff

glanville63

One of my friends was taken to Le Strogonoff restaurant in Jomptien last week and told me he'd had a great meal. He tried to explain to me where it is but I'm afraid he's not that familiar with the area. He said, turn right at the junction of Theprasit Road and the road between Jomptien and Pattaya and then turn left down a road going towards the sea. I tried to find it but all I could find was a road full of Russian hotels and bars. I'm sure it's not down there. I looked on the internet and they do have a site but no address. I telephoned the restaurant itself but all I got was "it's in Patamnak" and the line was very poor. Has anyone been there and can tell me how to find it please.

I've heard good things about this place, too bad about it's location in no man's land

I used to eat there quite often in their old location Soi Yamato. I was hoping they would keep both locations open, but apparently not. I often enjoyed the food there, but found as expected in Thailand some real consistency problems, but hard to complain for the price. They won't be seeing me at their new location. Oh well.

That place has been through many re-incarnations as various restaurants and even a hairdressers and internet cafe at some time.

What has been consistent though is that it is always devoid of customers.

It's not difficult to get to, a few hundred metres from the songthaew route if you get off at Sugar Hut. Less distance than walking the length of Walking Street.

I've heard good things about this place, too bad about it's location in no man's land

Wouldn't it be nice to hop in a taxi and go support these places?

You're preaching the choir. When a mafia cartel controls transport, EVERYBODY loses (except them).

Minimum 200 baht one way for hired baht bus. I feel sorry for tourists who unknowingly book hotels on that hill.

I'll be trying it on Saturday next if I can ever find it.

PS Why have you changed all the workings of ThaiVisa. It's pretty complicated now. As they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

It's easy to find, GF of Victoria Hotel, but there's no parking there you'll have to park in Soi 4 or 5 and walk to it.

I'll be trying it on Saturday next if I can ever find it.

PS Why have you changed all the workings of ThaiVisa. It's pretty complicated now. As they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

It's easy to find, GF of Victoria Hotel, but there's no parking there you'll have to park in Soi 4 or 5 and walk to it.

I tried once and the food was poor I am sorry to say. Inexpensive and comfortable but I can do better myself. Not worth the trip.

I suggest the new Maggs on Theppasit Road - 3 courses for 350 baht - knocks the spots off Strogonoff and the Ritz both in standard of cuisine,ambiance,

value for money and service.

I tried once and the food was poor I am sorry to say. Inexpensive and comfortable but I can do better myself. Not worth the trip.

I suggest the new Maggs on Theppasit Road - 3 courses for 350 baht - knocks the spots off Strogonoff and the Ritz both in standard of cuisine,ambiance,

value for money and service.

I can understand your feeling if you only tried it ONCE. I ate there a number of times over the years and found it sometimes surprisingly good and sometimes surprisingly disappointing. For example they used to have paella specials sometimes. A few times the paella was delicious and would have been acceptable in Spain and then later, totally failed paella. Once I get a steak dish as part of a set and both the flavor and portion size were amazing for the price. The last few times I ate there the appetizers tasted of the refrigerator and the portion on the main course was appetizer sized, but then I heard they closed and moved and figured the slippage was related to that. So no I know nothing about the experience of the NEW place but based on my experience with the restaurant over the years, I think one visit isn't enough. Edited by Jingthing

• 10 months later...

A post in French and a quoted reply has been removed, please see the following extract from the Forum rules.

English is the only acceptable language, except within the Thai language forum, where of course using Thai is allowed.

I've been to this place twice this year. Seemed fine to me for the price. I should go again.

Easy walking distance from the main Jomtien bahtbus route. I dont think that his choice of location is a bad one given the number of new condo buildings going up around there, assuming that Russians like that sort of meal.

The large choice of items on the menu (approx 12 or so for each course) leads me to suppose that they are not all freshly cooked, but precious few things are these days no matter how much you pay. The ones I tried certainly tasted OK to me but you probably do need to be a bit selective when ordering. There were some things on the menu that I'm sure would not have been nice. It helps if you are accustomed to eating in French restaurants of that type as you soon learn the good and bad things that often show up on their menus.

I certainly found it to be of very similar standard to "Routiers"-type restaurants in France that I have been to. The menu price here at 350B is only about half what it would probably be in France for a set lunch and even less of what an evening set menu might cost there, so the prices are right. I certainly didnt come away hungry or disappointed.

Well on the table reservation thing, I can understand from the owner's POV that they couldn't honor the SPECIFIC table booking. But they had a table. I agree being rude was not cool. A good restaurant would have politely apologized for the inconvenience and offered some kind of gratis drink of some kind (or similar).