8 Killed In Bangkok Van Crash, Driver Goes On The Run

webfact

Drivers run away to avoid vigilante justice. I've seen it happen. Whether a driver was at fault or not, it's quite common for those around to beat them silly.

I don't condone running away, but it's more than just simple cowardice.

I beg to differ. It stems from the usual lack of responsibility and culpability demonstrated at every level of society in Thailand.

In addition, I know the owner of a large haulage firm in Thailand that tells its drivers to flee the scene of an accident whenever possible. More shockingly, he told me that drivers involved in a serious accident are advised to "finish the job" in order to protect the company and themselves.

I would warrant that many van drivers are similarly advised by their employers.

Please define " finish the job"...... Does that mean if a van smashes into me and injures me, I need to crawl away as quickly as I can before the driver comes to finish me off?? :-)

I don't usually get involved in these stories but my Fiancee's brother was knocked off his bike by a 6 wheeled truck a few years ago and only saved his own life by rolling into a ditch(with a broken leg,hip and arm) as the driver rolled back in reverse to kill him after the accident,

so yeah don't take a chance.

Personally, I take a train or plane wherever possible. But if you think mini-busses are equally safe an any other form of transport, you are sadly deluded.

Have you ever considered their tyres? With a load of up to 20 people the load rating of most car tyres would be reaching or exceeding maximum and the tyre pressure to maintain that load rating at speed is much higher and more critical.

OTOH most car tyres are R (170km/hr) speed rated or higher. Light truck tyres are often much lower speed rated especially the cheaper ones, Any van with P (or higher in the alphabet) rated tyres that approaches 160 km/hr is asking for tyre failure by exceeding its design rating. FYI the speed rating is the letter prior to the whel size as in 195/65R15. Every letter above R reduces the rating by 10km/hr (no O ) from 170.

Have you ever checked before putting your life at risk? How many sardines escape intact when you bash open their can with a hammer?

I had to answer your last question as I like sardines. It's not the escaping sardines so much as the messy olive oil or tomato sauce. licklips.gif

Drivers run away to avoid vigilante justice. I've seen it happen. Whether a driver was at fault or not, it's quite common for those around to beat them silly.

I know the owner of a large haulage firm in Thailand that tells its drivers to flee the scene of an accident whenever possible. More shockingly, he told me that drivers involved in a serious accident are advised to "finish the job" in order to protect the company and themselves.

Yeah sure. Of course you know.

I know the owner of a large haulage firm in Thailand that tells its drivers to flee the scene of an accident whenever possible. More shockingly, he told me that drivers involved in a serious accident are advised to "finish the job" in order to protect the company and themselves.

i was surprised at this statement also. however i asked the wife and sure enough she confirmed it. except to add that thai people in pickups and cars know to do the same. unbelievable. its cheaper to kill them she said, as an ongoing hospital bill will end up costing them more. life really don't meant shit in thailand. violin.gif

This won't be the last post about people dying on Thai roads, as you all well know.

Whose going to get the Health and Safety boys in?

Regulations don't work. People take risks.

Great Britain would never allow riverboat taxi like they have on the Chao Praya.

USA's lawyers and the litigation laws make money.

You can't have it all.

i was surprised at this statement also. however i asked the wife and sure enough she confirmed it. except to add that thai people in pickups and cars know to do the same. unbelievable. its cheaper to kill them she said, as an ongoing hospital bill will end up costing them more. life really don't meant shit in thailand. violin.gif

With the greatest respect to your wife, farangs need to be very careful about blanket statements about the value of lives in IndoChina.

US got that one wrong in VietNam.

There we go again. And another runner! EVERY TIME there's an accident in Thailand, the driver "runs" away from the scene. It is the most bizarre international/cultural phenomenon I've ever witnessed.

if you KNEW it was because they were all taking amphetemines or illegal stimulants ,...........would you think running away was so '' bizarre'' ?

Everyone seems to be missing the point that this kind of <deleted> driving (although fuelled by higher driver earnings) is a direct result of the equally <deleted> Thai driving test standards compared to the rest of the world.

Like most fuc_k-up's in this country.. the path leads back to the government and the ineptness that runs rife. Fix the system, and over time these kinds of tragedies can be averted

How can a so called speeding van crash into the back of a stationary truck, kill a load of people yet the driver who presumably was sitting at the front of the vehicle is somehow miraculously able to flee the scene? Same with the Jan 6th incident.

The driver is probably the only one who had a seat belt on; not for safety but just to avoid getting a traffic ticket for anyone in the front seat found not wearing a seat belt...the traffic BIB love to give "almost" tickets for this....it's a quick 200 baht for them. For anyone not in the front seat, seat belts are not required by Thai law.

Surely if only those in the front seats are wearing seat belts then in a collision such as this the passangers behind will propel forward crushing those in front? This is why a law requiring only those in the front seats to wear belts is pointless.

Still amazing that these drivers seem to survive.

i was surprised at this statement also. however i asked the wife and sure enough she confirmed it. except to add that thai people in pickups and cars know to do the same. unbelievable. its cheaper to kill them she said, as an ongoing hospital bill will end up costing them more. life really don't meant shit in thailand.

The British Army has also advised in the past (a couple of generations ago) that it's cheaper to kill than to maim in a traffic accident.

i was surprised at this statement also. however i asked the wife and sure enough she confirmed it. except to add that thai people in pickups and cars know to do the same. unbelievable. its cheaper to kill them she said, as an ongoing hospital bill will end up costing them more. life really don't meant shit in thailand.

The British Army has also advised in the past (a couple of generations ago) that it's cheaper to kill than to maim in a traffic accident.

You'd better check with the wife quietman. My tgf would piss all over me if I operated that way.

I beg to differ. It stems from the usual lack of responsibility and culpability demonstrated at every level of society in Thailand.

In addition, I know the owner of a large haulage firm in Thailand that tells its drivers to flee the scene of an accident whenever possible. More shockingly, he told me that drivers involved in a serious accident are advised to "finish the job" in order to protect the company and themselves.

I would warrant that many van drivers are similarly advised by their employers.

' ' I beg to differ. It stems from the usual lack of responsibility and culpability demonstrated at every level of society in Thailand. ' '

And the paymaster the prime example, nor morals whatever , worst possible role model

When it comes to mini-vans, Just Say NO - preferably in emphatic four letter words.

No different to riding in a taxi, bus or any other road transportation within Thailand.

The van drivers rightfully have a bad rep, but taxi drivers, bus drivers and other drivers with passengers are equally irresponsible, untrained and unqualified and are just as likely to be involved in accidents.

The driving test is unreal here, even if you fail then 1000bt changes it to a pass; that's if you can be bothered to take a test in the first place!