Ex-Con, Friend Confess To Attack On Chinese Tourist

Lite Beer

So one Chinese tourist gets hit over the head and the Chinese Consulate issues a warning to tourists which negatively affects tourism, hmm, can you imagine the effect if Western countries were to do the same thing every time a similar "event" took place involving a Western tourist in places such as Phuket or Pattaya! Methinks this has more to do with the esteem that China is held in rather than any thing else.

What a ridiculous post; the article states that these people did this 20 (reported) times.

Read the article before you make stupid comments, please.

Don't you find it interesting they did this 20 times to other nationality tourists that did not issue a travel warning. But they do it one time to a Chinese tourist and China issues a warning.

I wonder if the Thai gov't will say they are overreacting like they did about the terror warnings.

Highly doubtful.

I don't follow this at all. Why would a government, any government, issue a travel warning over one common assault, whether it be ABH or GBH? This sort of crime happens in every country every day. As regrettable as it is, unfortunately it is a fact of life.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I feel sorry for the 36-year old woman who was attacked and sincerely hope she gets well soon, I myself donot consider a warning from their Government and subsequent lesser Chinese arrivals to Thailand as a great loss. This beautiful country's main tourist sites are getting way too crowdy already anyways,

Thai society is in a downward spiral that is going to destroy the fabric of this country. Take into account the political, the lack of good leadership, economic problems, the drug problems, flooding, the sensless killing, and problems in the education ssystem and prison system, the outlook is not good.

I'm glad other countries are putting out travel warnings. To the traveler, these conditions are not apparent, but to all those who love and live here, the problems are very real.

You could be talking about the troubles in any Western country currently, Thailand is no different in having the same.

Bullshit mate..... Go to 99.9% of cities in Australia ( i cannot speak about other countries ) and you won't be scammed, beaten over the head with club,stabbed, murdered or thrown out of a condo window... never ceases to amaze me the utter crap that comes out of some peoples mouths....

I have lived in Thailand for years and YES the situation with regard to violence is getting worse, but on a positive not many many things have improved also, I do not know that answer to Thailand's issue and I will not pretend to know the fixes but I do know that comparing Thailand to West is totally a moot point!!

BRITAIN, AUSTRALIA TOP U.S.IN VIOLENT CRIME

http://www.wnd.com/2001/03/8340/

... Australia led the list with more than 30 percent of its population victimized.

And by the way, Thailand and Australia are not that statistically different when it comes to robberies per capita and Australia far outpaces Thailand with burglaries, rapes and assaults per capita. In fact Australia rates #1 in the world for Burglaries and Assaults.

Are you serious? YOU quote a study written in 2001 by a Missouri based journo and expect those figures to hold up and be relevant today? YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS as if you are you also need further education....The report is so flawed that I would not even waste time in picking it apart....I would also remind you of that FACT that MOST assaults/crime committed in Australia are REPORTED can we say the same about America or in fact Thailand, I for one would doubt it...( just one gem from the report "In the Australian state of Victoria, gun homicides have climbed 300 percent, yes that happened in Victoria in 2000 there was 1 gun murder and in 2001 there were 3 !!!!!! And as for your comment about rapes, oh my goodness you must be very deluded... Just try to accept the fact that Thailand can be and is dangerous in parts and a person can NEVER be totally comfortable with one's own security here

Edited by supaprik
  • Like 1

So one Chinese tourist gets hit over the head and the Chinese Consulate issues a warning to tourists which negatively affects tourism, hmm, can you imagine the effect if Western countries were to do the same thing every time a similar "event" took place involving a Western tourist in places such as Phuket or Pattaya! Methinks this has more to do with the esteem that China is held in rather than any thing else.

What a ridiculous post; the article states that these people did this 20 (reported) times.

Don't you find it interesting they did this 20 times to other nationality tourists that did not issue a travel warning. But they do it one time to a Chinese tourist and China issues a warning.

I wonder if the Thai gov't will say they are overreacting like they did about the terror warnings.

Highly doubtful.

I don't follow this at all. Why would a government, any government, issue a travel warning over one common assault, whether it be ABH or GBH? This sort of crime happens in every country every day. As regrettable as it is, unfortunately it is a fact of life.

That is the point. Why did China issue a travel warning for one assault and Thailand is kowtowing to them.

But I think we already know the answer to that.

Edited by z12

I think what the warning says, is, rob and beat each other and other nationalities up as much as you want to but leave our people (Chinese) alone or you will loose tourist numbers and revenue, we'll see to it that happens. Thailand is sensibly taking notice it seems.

Edited by chiang mai
  • Like 1

I think what the warning says, is, rob and beat each other and other nationalities up as much as you want to but leave our people (Chinese) alone or you will loose tourist numbers and revenue, we'll see to it that happens. Thailand is sensibly taking notice it seems.

Is this all you guys can focus on, that the Chinese did a good job to protect their citizens, while others do not? When the xenophobic reflex kicks in, please make sure you count to 10 and THINK before you make these facile, racist comments that serve only to feed more racism and conflict, rather than improve social and international relations.

At present the Chinese are far bigger than the farang tourist from the western countries.

How long have you been working at TAT?

Is this all you guys can focus on, that the Chinese did a good job to protect their citizens, while others do not? When the xenophobic reflex kicks in, please make sure you count to 10 and THINK before you make these facile, racist comments that serve only to feed more racism and conflict, rather than improve social and international relations.

When a government would issue a travel warning for an assault on one person, it is like the boy crying wolf.

When a travel warning is issued when truely needed, it will be ignored because of all the insignificant issued before hand, invalidating the system. IMHO

• Like 1

Rather, I would blame western consulates for not standing up for their citizens the way the Chinese government has clearly done. The article states that the Chinese consul was at the temple for the police-re-enactment. As an American, I feel the like the U.S. has a "Well, you left America..."/som nam na-type attitude towards Americans in Thailand. The U.S. Embassy wouldn't send a representative to watch the police in Thailand do their polic-ing. Good for China for putting the fuego under Thailand's a*s for a change. It's very nice to see that someone, somewhere, forced the Thai police to actually live up to their responsibilities (albeit in a minor, post-mortem-type way). Go China!

100% correct.If only the Western consulates would put in warnings this thuggery would decrease substantially.

There's nothing xenophobic about that interpretation and indeed it's in keeping with the way the Chinese government operates globally, they do not try to tell other nations how to behave and they resent it when countries such as the US try to impose their version of human rights on them - they are much more live and let live than many Western nations will ever be, in that respect.

Regardless, so what do you think the message says then, if not that?

You could be talking about the troubles in any Western country currently, Thailand is no different in having the same.

Bullshit mate..... Go to 99.9% of cities in Australia ( i cannot speak about other countries ) and you won't be scammed, beaten over the head with club,stabbed, murdered or thrown out of a condo window... never ceases to amaze me the utter crap that comes out of some peoples mouths....

I have lived in Thailand for years and YES the situation with regard to violence is getting worse, but on a positive not many many things have improved also, I do not know that answer to Thailand's issue and I will not pretend to know the fixes but I do know that comparing Thailand to West is totally a moot point!!

... Australia led the list with more than 30 percent of its population victimized.

And by the way, Thailand and Australia are not that statistically different when it comes to robberies per capita and Australia far outpaces Thailand with burglaries, rapes and assaults per capita. In fact Australia rates #1 in the world for Burglaries and Assaults.

Once again with these numbers from the internet. Why is it that we often don't seem to understand that these silly statistics are:

1) only as accurate as the systems they use to gather the information and

2) the number of criteria meeting acts reported?

Does ANYONE here who has lived here think that you can count on a 3rd world country (recently industrialized, if you prefer) to report accurate numbers on any national scale -- esp where the statistics reflect poorly on the country? Esp a place like Thailand where -

1) tourism is a huge part of it's development,

2) FDI is responsible for the vast majority of it's 'progress' over the last 5 decades or more,

3) the concept of FACE is central to most things?

And, before you say something like "well, these stats were collected by [insert whatever international agency] (which is a reliable source)", please know that these agencies do not operate with complete freedom within sovereign states and must depend (sometime quite heavily) on local systems, and certainly people to arrive at the statistics.

Statistics are the closest thing we have to facts but you are free to disregard them when they don't fit what you want to believe.

• Like 1

I see no racism in the post.Playing the race card in this instance is rather silly.

Thai society is in a downward spiral that is going to destroy the fabric of this country. Take into account the political, the lack of good leadership, economic problems, the drug problems, flooding, the sensless killing, and problems in the education ssystem and prison system, the outlook is not good.

I'm glad other countries are putting out travel warnings. To the traveler, these conditions are not apparent, but to all those who love and live here, the problems are very real.

Think maybe you have lived in Thailand for years without going home. I would seriously query your percentages!

Any statistics you look at will show you that Australia has more or the statistically the same Assault rate per capita as the US and the US is a much more violent and violent crime ridden country than Thailand but lets let this guy live in his own world. As for me, I live in Bangkok (one of the most populous cities in the world) and have never been a victim of any crime and neither has the vast majority of my family or friends here. The same cannot be said living in the US where I've had numerous cars stolen, home broke into and robbed ... all while living in the suburbs.

When a government would issue a travel warning for an assault on one person, it is like the boy crying wolf.

When a travel warning is issued when truely needed, it will be ignored because of all the insignificant issued before hand, invalidating the system. IMHO

Especially when you consider the number of Chinese visiting and residing in Thailand. Chinese are next to, if not, the number one tourists visiting the country. I would bet that Thailand is also one of the top global destinations for Chinese tourists.

This is nothing but an example of China using its economic power to both show they will and/or get what they want. What I highly doubt is that the Chinese government cared too much about this tourist. It appears their refusal to pull the travel warning at this time proves that point. It will however get pulled when a deal is reach on what they really want that is likely more to do with some sort of export/import issue.

A 2001 report...give me a break!

Highly doubtful.

Ah but China are really concerned about their citizens human rights and need to protect them when travelling abroad, 5555555, sort your own house out China then moan about others.

Highly doubtful.

Ah but China are really concerned about their citizens human rights and need to protect them when travelling abroad, 5555555, sort your own house out China then moan about others.

Exactly, China needs another Mao.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...-china-16161764

Edited by z12

A 2001 report...give me a break!

Ok, well look at more recent ones (which I also spoke about) since somehow you believe things have changed dramatically since then.

Edited by Nisa

Rather, I would blame western consulates for not standing up for their citizens the way the Chinese government has clearly done. The article states that the Chinese consul was at the temple for the police-re-enactment. As an American, I feel the like the U.S. has a "Well, you left America..."/som nam na-type attitude towards Americans in Thailand. The U.S. Embassy wouldn't send a representative to watch the police in Thailand do their polic-ing. Good for China for putting the fuego under Thailand's a*s for a change. It's very nice to see that someone, somewhere, forced the Thai police to actually live up to their responsibilities (albeit in a minor, post-mortem-type way). Go China!

What does the American embassy do here in Thailand? I think you will find that they would intervene.

As dispicable as the attack was, it is one attack out of a country populated by 70 million people. Re enactments of crimes are the norm here in Thailand; if the Chinese representitive attended then he is another character in the show.

But the article clearly states that this attack was carried out twenty times previously by the perpetrators. This was at a tourist site so presumably other tourists experienced this and were not assisted in any way by their embassies or the police...

Not sure Chrisinth how many years you were in China , but during 5 years spent there personally , 18 months working with the police in Beijing , I discovered that the leaders of China, The police , judiciury ( such as it is in its formative state ) and the overwhelming number of men and women in the street all have the united belief that crime is wrong. It offends and disturbs the harmony of society. I found this refreshing and certainly a big welcome change from the westerners attitude that crime is inevitable in a free society . China is to a large extent crime free for the ordinary travellor or person going about a lawful business . From all of that I can understand why they are offended by the (20 times!) criminal in Chiang Mai, shame because CM is a nice place.

Secondly , unlike other societies , Chinese will generally obey their leaders so this warning actually carries a lot of clout.

• Like 2

I was a bit surprised at the concept of unleashing 10,000 felons into Thai society due to the Royal Pardon system, and said so in an earlier post. Unfortunately, this crime is an outcome from that action. Thailand must be careful of China. . Western tourists have freedom to travel, and their embassies can only issue warnings. China is authoritative, and could stop all Chinese travel to Thailand with the stroke of pen tomorrow.

Spot on.

Your inability to see bias based on race is part of the problem.

I see no racism in the post.Playing the race card in this instance is rather silly.

Not sure Chrisinth how many years you were in China , but during 5 years spent there personally , 18 months working with the police in Beijing , I discovered that the leaders of China, The police , judiciury ( such as it is in its formative state ) and the overwhelming number of men and women in the street all have the united belief that crime is wrong. It offends and disturbs the harmony of society. I found this refreshing and certainly a big welcome change from the westerners attitude that crime is inevitable in a free society . China is to a large extent crime free for the ordinary travellor or person going about a lawful business . From all of that I can understand why they are offended by the (20 times!) criminal in Chiang Mai, shame because CM is a nice place.

Secondly , unlike other societies , Chinese will generally obey their leaders so this warning actually carries a lot of clout.

I bow to your knowledge of living in China; I lived and worked in Hong Kong (also with the police there) for almost 3 years but that was while it was still under British rule and was not any comparison. My point was that by issuing travel warnings for a single assault (the assailant had allegedly carried out 20 assaults, but it was only the one that the warning was issued) for a common crime (and unfortunately that is what muggings are in todays world), then I would class this as scare mongery, or footing another agenda.

This is only my opinion of what has been done. If it was a common, repeating problem, then certainly, put the writing on the wall.

What does the American embassy do here in Thailand? I think you will find that they would intervene.

As dispicable as the attack was, it is one attack out of a country populated by 70 million people. Re enactments of crimes are the norm here in Thailand; if the Chinese representitive attended then he is another character in the show.

But the article clearly states that this attack was carried out twenty times previously by the perpetrators. This was at a tourist site so presumably other tourists experienced this and were not assisted in any way by their embassies or the police...

The assailant allegedly admitted to 20 other attacks after he was arrested; the warning was issued for one assault. Unless I am reading that wrong?

At present the Chinese are far bigger than the farang tourist from the western countries.

From what I've seen the americans are pretty much the biggest...............

Your inability to see bias based on race is part of the problem.

Your inability to hold a discussion without throwing in the race card is lazy and serves no purpose.

I was a bit surprised at the concept of unleashing 10,000 felons into Thai society due to the Royal Pardon system, and said so in an earlier post. Unfortunately, this crime is an outcome from that action. Thailand must be careful of China. . Western tourists have freedom to travel, and their embassies can only issue warnings. China is authoritative, and could stop all Chinese travel to Thailand with the stroke of pen tomorrow.

Are you saying that only robber Farangs not Chinese should be robed?

Edited by harryfrompattaya