Help Me Choose My First Dslr

wellred

I just flogged my Panny GF2 and am looking for something better. I did think about another mirrorless but thought most of them are bulky anyway so may as well go with a DSLR. Generally are Canon and Nikon the only 2 brands I should be concerned with? How are Sony?

I have narrowed my choices down to either the Nikon D3100 or the Canon EOS 550d (T2i). Has anyone here used either of them? A few people have mentioned to get another lens as well but I think I will take my time getting used to the kit lens before going for anything else.

Sony, Olympus and Pentax have all brought out some great digital SLR's in the last few years. Some people prefer the feel of a certain make to another and then choose to stick with that, particularly if they have forked out on lens too. The best advice I can give is to take your time, narrow down your list to 3 or 4 models and then play with them in the showroom to decide which one you feel most comfortable with. One advantage Canon and Nikon still share is that when you decide to buy lenses/peripherals, assuming you are in Thailand, you will have a wider selection available to you in the shops. Canon has a number of showrooms and service centres in BKK, I can't speak for the other brands. These can become important factors later down the line.

Perhaps you need to define what you mean by "better". What couldn't you achieve photographically with the GF2 that you think you will be able to achieve with a DSLR?

The GF2 was nice but for manual contol I found the experience a bit off due to the poor touch screen. Also I think the APSC sensor on a DSLR should produce better reuslts generally than a micro 4/3's?

Sony, Olympus and Pentax have all brought out some great digital SLR's in the last few years. Some people prefer the feel of a certain make to another and then choose to stick with that, particularly if they have forked out on lens too. The best advice I can give is to take your time, narrow down your list to 3 or 4 models and then play with them in the showroom to decide which one you feel most comfortable with. One advantage Canon and Nikon still share is that when you decide to buy lenses/peripherals, assuming you are in Thailand, you will have a wider selection available to you in the shops. Canon has a number of showrooms and service centres in BKK, I can't speak for the other brands. These can become important factors later down the line.

Thanks. I will check out Sony and Pentax too but think I'm leaning towards the T2i or the D3100.

I would limit your choices to Canon or Nikon, and maybe Olympas, as they have the greatest variety of lenses, and accessories available. They both make very good cameras and neither hold a significant advantage over the other. Play around with a few different cameras from each brand and see what feels best in your hand. Read up as much as you can before you make your decision.

http://www.dpreview.com/

http://reviews.cnet.com/dslr-buying-guide/

I have the GX1 and a Canon DSLR. The GX1 is way more fun to shoot with. Lighter, faster and more discreet. Not much to choose between the two for image quality up to ISO 1600. The Canon wins for sports shooting, the GX1 for everything else. And lens choice is outstanding.

• Like 1

The Olympus E-9 had rave reviews when it came out a few years back. I think it went for 55k when it came out but would be a fair bit cheaper than that now.

I have a Oly E-5 and it works great, never heard of an E-9 btw

Do not believe that the mirrorless cropped sensor cameras can equal a FF DSLR. Sure, they're good for what they set out to do - but that was not to compete with full frame. And for sure they do not. Not even near. Anybody that tells you that mirrorles compacts equal FF DSLR's is a fool. Comparing IQ is laughable. There's no comparison. But they do fit in the users handbag nicely! licklips.gif

Go FF DSLR - you won't regret it.

If I was you I'd look at the Canon 5D MK1 - arguably the best FF Dslr to date for IQ and highly affordable now.

Edited by fimgirl
  • Like 1

I got a Canon 550D and it's a great camera for the money, but there are a few things left to be desired, especially in the area of autofocus performance (slow, sometimes goes into seeking loops just when you need it - I end up snapping away in manual focus), plus there is no AF microadjustment feature. When you shoot at 18 MP, the slightest misfocus shows. The self-timer ergonomy is bad.

My advice would be to go with the Nikon D7000 - it is hands down the best camera in the entry level DSLR category, well, the D7000 is the top entry level camera just before the semi-pro gear. It can do everything, and it does it very well.

Edited by manarak

The mirrorless camera genre has grown much faster than any other camera segment, so there are a lot of choices many here don't seem to be aware of.

For instance, as far as IQ goes, the small mirrorless Sony NEX-7 scored an 81 on DxO marks.. which is the best measure of the sensor/image quality we have short of actual side by side tests under same circumstances. The full frame Nikon D3 scored 81, the D700 80, the Nikon D3100 you asked about only a 69, the excellent Fuji x100 73, the Canon 5d Mark II 79, and the excellent but dated Canon 5d Mark I only 71. You can check yourself at this link.

So now that you see a mirrorless can indeed equal or exceed the image quality of a DSLR do you still need/want a DSLR? Image quality at this level is pretty much a given, almost all DSLR's and the better mirrorless cameras will all have acceptable image quality to the vast majority of amatuers. Pros might have reason to be more selective.

As far as brands, it's not as simple as it once was. I shoot Canon professionally because Canon builds and supports a "system" of cameras, lenses, and related accessories which is important to my work as a professional. So does Nikon. Sony who in the last few years took over Minolta and who's mount accepts all Minolta legacy lenses, is arguably the technical leader in the industry. They've come out with some of the best sensors and related technology. Yet, as they're still "building" you need to be careful when you consider a "system" because they still have a few holes.

For my personal/family needs I shoot a vareity of small cameras. The Canon S95/S100 is excellent for a pocket camera. I love my Fuji x100, my wife likes my Sony NEX-5.. they're all so good that when used correctly it comes down to personal preferences and choice of subject.

None of this answers your questions. You haven't given enough information. What is your priority with a camera, priority of subjects, settings, light.. For instance, if you want to shoot your kids basketball games then you're much better served by a DSLR with it's much faster autofocus and many choices in lenses with longer focal lengths. Or maybe you like street shooting and the camera must fit in a coat pocket, then the Fuji x100 starts to look appealing.

So.. tell us as much as you can about your style, preferred subjects, the time of day you prefer, if this will be a one off purchase or if you'll be building a system, tell us as much as you can and I'm sure you'll find good answers.

• Like 2

The mirrorless camera genre has grown much faster than any other camera segment, so there are a lot of choices many here don't seem to be aware of.

For instance, as far as IQ goes, the small mirrorless Sony NEX-7 scored an 81 on DxO marks.. which is the best measure of the sensor/image quality we have short of actual side by side tests under same circumstances. The full frame Nikon D3 scored 81, the D700 80, the Nikon D3100 you asked about only a 69, the excellent Fuji x100 73, the Canon 5d Mark II 79, and the excellent but dated Canon 5d Mark I only 71. You can check yourself at this link.

So now that you see a mirrorless can indeed equal or exceed the image quality of a DSLR do you still need/want a DSLR? Image quality at this level is pretty much a given, almost all DSLR's and the better mirrorless cameras will all have acceptable image quality to the vast majority of amatuers. Pros might have reason to be more selective.

As far as brands, it's not as simple as it once was. I shoot Canon professionally because Canon builds and supports a "system" of cameras, lenses, and related accessories which is important to my work as a professional. So does Nikon. Sony who in the last few years took over Minolta and who's mount accepts all Minolta legacy lenses, is arguably the technical leader in the industry. They've come out with some of the best sensors and related technology. Yet, as they're still "building" you need to be careful when you consider a "system" because they still have a few holes.

For my personal/family needs I shoot a vareity of small cameras. The Canon S95/S100 is excellent for a pocket camera. I love my Fuji x100, my wife likes my Sony NEX-5.. they're all so good that when used correctly it comes down to personal preferences and choice of subject.

None of this answers your questions. You haven't given enough information. What is your priority with a camera, priority of subjects, settings, light.. For instance, if you want to shoot your kids basketball games then you're much better served by a DSLR with it's much faster autofocus and many choices in lenses with longer focal lengths. Or maybe you like street shooting and the camera must fit in a coat pocket, then the Fuji x100 starts to look appealing.

So.. tell us as much as you can about your style, preferred subjects, the time of day you prefer, if this will be a one off purchase or if you'll be building a system, tell us as much as you can and I'm sure you'll find good answers.

Great post!

I got a Canon 550D and it's a great camera for the money, but there are a few things left to be desired, especially in the area of autofocus performance (slow, sometimes goes into seeking loops just when you need it - I end up snapping away in manual focus), plus there is no AF microadjustment feature. When you shoot at 18 MP, the slightest misfocus shows. The self-timer ergonomy is bad.

My advice would be to go with the Nikon D7000 - it is hands down the best camera in the entry level DSLR category, well, the D7000 is the top entry level camera just before the semi-pro gear. It can do everything, and it does it very well.

I also have the Nikon D7000 and like it very much. I bought the Nikon D200 when it first came out and liked it very much And, I still have it. But, the D200 didn't have video and I prefer NOT to carry two cameras when one will suffice. When you get if focused properly the high definition video is incredible. It shows well on a 60 inch TV screen and is as good as any TV program in HD. The only problem is it records in MOV file and that needs to be converted to an AVI file if you want to do any editing.

However, if I was starting over I might choose Canon. It's pretty much a toss up on what camera suits your purpose best.

Great post!

X2.

A while back I posted a thread on What we want our cameras for. It is a viable question. Most of us just want snapshots of our families or the odd scenic picture of our trips. Just about any good quality point and shoot will do that. It's when we want to experiment a bit, or take high action sports photos that the little point and shoot cameras start to fall down. For close-ups my little Nikon and Pentax water proof cameras are better than my Nikon zoom lenses for my SLR. A good close-up lens for a Canon or Nikon SLR is more money than any better quality point and shoot... by about 30% more.

I love my little Nikon AF100 that takes great close-ups, excellent video in HD and acceptible pictures in low light. Is it as good as my Nikon D200 or my Nikon D7000? No, but it is much smaller and easier to carry on an every day situation. The camera that you always carry with you is often the one that gets your best photos.

I would too, but it's not a rangefinder. Just looks like one.

It absolutely *is* a rangefinder - what makes you say otherwise?

I'm a Leica shooter, so I think I know a rangefinder when I see one.

;>

Perhaps more pertinent to this thread is not whether or not it is a rangefinder, but whether it is a sensible camera to suggest to the OP whose budget seems to lie at the entry level of the market, not at the $1,700, body only, pricing of the Fuji.

I'm not about to debate this, he asked for advice on buying a DSLR. Off topic argument removed. If you want to talk rangefinders, open a new topic.

EDIT: We don't publicly discuss moderation in the topic. If you have issues please use a PM. For now please stay on topic rather than argue among yourselves what constitutes a rangefinder. It was not helping answer the OP's question.

OP is choosing between Nikon D3100 or Canon EOS 550d.

imho essentially the choice is to go Canon or Nikon, the body won't last that long but as soon as you start buying lenses you'll want to keep using them when you buy a new body, so most of the time you will stick to the brand you choose for your first serious body.

One of the things that is very important for me is the 'feel' of the camera and the placement of the controls, I don't want to have to search through menu's when changing a setting on the camera. (like driving a car, when driving you don't want to have to think about where the breaks are you want to focus on the traffic)

So I would recommend you go into the shop, take both cameras in your hands and make that part of your decision.

Both brands make great equipment you really can't make a wrong decision.

About 25 yrs ago I decided to go Nikon and a good friend that I studied photography with decided to go Canon, both of us are still using the same brand of cameras and both of us are happy with our choice.

happy shooting

• Like 1