Help Me Choose My First Dslr

wellred

It was not helping answer the OP's question.

One noticed that the OP has not posted back to us coffee1.gif if it really did help or not. (and a Big Thank you for putting the posts back) wai.gif

With the funds/money available to the OP to buy his/hers new DSLR one will never know until the questions are answered by the Original Poster, will we huh.png

As a proud owner of an Olympus E-5 (and not as noted in this thread as Olympas shock1.gif ) sure it is bulky, however it feels great in ones grasp/hand and even driving me car I Kan still take photos with it.

Win wai.gif

Edited by Kan Win

I would limit your choices to Canon or Nikon, and maybe Olympas, as they have the greatest variety of lenses, and accessories available. They both make very good cameras and neither hold a significant advantage over the other. Play around with a few different cameras from each brand and see what feels best in your hand. Read up as much as you can before you make your decision.

http://www.dpreview.com/

http://reviews.cnet....r-buying-guide/

I do not agree. Sony has been in the front the last couple of years with many new ideas and solutions.

Of the last 5 cameras I have bought I choosed Sony 4 times.

The latest is Sony a77 which I am very, very happy with and Sony have many SLT and DSLR to choose from.

Before I bought my latest camera I downloaded the manuals for the cameras that I was interested in. Then I could see and understand how each camera was working, what buttons they have, how to use the menues, how to change this and that. And then go to the shop and try it in real life.

wink.pngbiggrin.pngrolleyes.gif

I would limit your choices to Canon or Nikon, and maybe Olympas, as they have the greatest variety of lenses, and accessories available. They both make very good cameras and neither hold a significant advantage over the other. Play around with a few different cameras from each brand and see what feels best in your hand. Read up as much as you can before you make your decision.

http://www.dpreview.com/

http://reviews.cnet....r-buying-guide/

I do not agree. Sony has been in the front the last couple of years with many new ideas and solutions.

Of the last 5 cameras I have bought I choosed Sony 4 times.

The latest is Sony a77 which I am very, very happy with and Sony have many SLT and DSLR to choose from.

Before I bought my latest camera I downloaded the manuals for the cameras that I was interested in. Then I could see and understand how each camera was working, what buttons they have, how to use the menues, how to change this and that. And then go to the shop and try it in real life.

wink.pngbiggrin.pngrolleyes.gif

Good advice, and don't forget YouTube.. There are many video reviews of most models made by ordinary users which can give great insight.

I have narrowed my choices down to either the Nikon D3100 or the Canon EOS 550d (T2i). Has anyone here used either of them? A few people have mentioned to get another lens as well but I think I will take my time getting used to the kit lens before going for anything else.

I have use the 550D and briefly the D3100 - I'd say the 550D is superior.

Then, I would also say that in hindsight, I would better have spent 500 USD extra and bought the Nikon D7000 which brings 2 things the Canon lacks:

- good autofocus performance (to capture moving subjects, important if you have kids)

- Autofocus microadjustment (I had to send back lenses 4 times, which is a huge loss of time)

Edited by manarak

I got my first DSLR and it was a Nikon D 5000. Was very happy with it. A few months later, I had an opportunity to get an 18-200 VR DX lens (Nikkor) and later a Sigma 10-20 mm wide angle lens. Very happy with it. About a year into my D5000, I was presented with a deal I could not refuse. So I got my second Nikon a D300S. My D5000 has the Sigma lens and the D300S has my 18-200.

The D300S is really fast in that it focuses almost instantaneously.

At one time I was tempted by the D700 but held back because it would mean I would have to buy a whole new set of lenses to get the full frame of the D700. FX lenses for the D700 are not easy to find. Most of the lenses available at shops are DX lenses which the D300S can use.

Well this is what I want to share to the OP. Hope you get the camera you like and that it satisfies you as much as you expected it to. Cheers.

If your budget is limited, Go for the D5100. It's a bit better I think than the D3100. If you don't want to end up with lenses you will probably not use in the future, buy the body and the lens separately. The Kit lens for the D5100 will probably by a DX 18-55 mm (VR) autofocus lens. Not bad but it won't get you to places where you want to be - e.g. take almost portrait-like photos from a distance and not being intrusive.

• 1 month later...

One big thing to do is to go to a store and handle both cameras. The ergonomics on Nikon and Canon are totally different. Personally, I can't stand Nikon button layouts and controls. You may or may not be the same, that's why you need to handle both.

As for the 550D (t2i), it's a great little camera. It has the same sensor as the much higher priced 7D and even the 60D. I wouldn't worry about the AF like someone noted as it's up to what glass you use. A fast L lense with an Ultrasonic Motor (USM) will have blazing fast AF on a 550D.

Another thing you must consider is the glass. You are buying into a "system" and that includes the lens lineup. Although Canon and Nikon both make excellent lenses, the Canon line is a bit cheaper for all price ranges and in some cases much cheaper.

Also, the used market is much more robust with Canon, so if you want to sell your body or buy used glass later, it is much easier with Canon.

I'm very happy with mine and have taken great shots over the past 1.5 years. I'm going with a 5D mkIII when it's available here in Thailand (maybe a 1-2 weeks) so I would give you a hell of a deal on a 550D in excellent shape. If interested, send me a PM.

Edited by lostpacket