Do You Plan To Live In Pattaya When Your "Old"?

gguy

I was wondering if member board members plan to return to their native country before they die.

If I started to have serious and/or expensive health problems, I would be forced to return for financial reasons. Also I wonder what it would be like to live in Pattaya in your 80's or 90's.

I would be interested in other people's plans.

I have seen a lot of guys live here for many years and stay here until they died and most of them did pretty well. That is what I plan to do if possible, but that is up to luck.

Yes one never know how the last years might turn out, hope for the best.

I once saw a very old expat being rolled inside the Immigration building in Jomtien in a wheel chair helped by a slightly younger expat, this guy was really depending of someone to help him all the time, I don't think I want to end like that, better check out before that happen but you never know.

But I have a family here so hopefully they can help me if needed.

I have a pre-existing condition which pretty much rules me out of getting any sort of comprehensive health insurance here, so I am forced to cover my own risks in Pattaya. For the past 8 years that has served me well enough, the total cost of the medical treatment I have needed has been less than paying for BUPA. However, if I ever came down with anything serious, protracted and expensive then I would be forced to go back to the UK for treatment. I'd be hoping, though, that after the treatment I would be able to return to Thailand to live. As long as you're in reasonably good shape, I don't see that age is an issue here. Getting a private nurse to look after you costs a fraction of what it would in the West, and the older you get I suspect that the more you will appreciate the stable, warm climate. In the condo where I used to live, I chatted once with an old Finnish guy. He told me that he is 94 years old and he swims every morning to keep fit. I asked him if he lived alone? 'No,' he replied, 'My son lives with me, but he's only 75 and he's still in bed with another woman he brought home last night!' Children...rolleyes.gif

You do need to take care that entitlement to UK NHS treatment is subject to the following:-

Anyone who is deemed to be ordinarily resident in the UK is entitled to free NHS hospital treatment in England. "Ordinarily resident" is a common law concept interpreted by the House of Lords in 1982 as someone who is living lawfully in the United Kingdom voluntarily and for settled purposes as part of the regular order of their life for the time being, with an identifiable purpose for their residence here which has a sufficient degree of continuity to be properly described as settled.

Anyone who is not ordinarily resident is subject to the National Health Service (Charges to Overseas Visitors) Regulations 2011. These regulations place a responsibility on NHS hospitals to establish whether a person is ordinarily resident; or exempt from charges under one of a number of exemption categories; or liable for charges.

What about British Nationals? I have paid taxes in the past.

Nationality or past or present payments of UK taxes and National Insurance contributions are not taken into consideration when establishing residence. The only thing relevant is whether you ordinarily live in the UK. http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/Entitlementsandcharges/OverseasVisitors/Browsable/DH_074374"]http://www.dh.gov.uk...sable/DH_074374

Edited by Rimmer
Font size, please do not alter the default font when you post.

I will decide when I turn 60 (in 4 years).

At the moment, I plan to keep an appartment in Belgium and "overwinter" in Pattaya November thru April. Don't fancy the very hot and wet season in Thailand and May thru October is the best season in Europe.

All depends on financial and health situation.

There is a retirement home at the Dark Side, run by a Belgian or Dutch guy. Perhaps that's an alternative in 20 years.

Anyway, when I get a serious health problem, I want to return to Belgium so they can take care of me here.

At the moment, I plan to keep an appartment in Belgium and "overwinter" in Pattaya November thru April. Don't fancy the very hot and wet season in Thailand and May thru October is the best season in Europe.

There is a retirement home at the Dark Side, run by a Belgian or Dutch guy. Perhaps that's an alternative in 20 years.

Anyway, when I get a serious health problem, I want to return to Belgium so they can take care of me here.

Medical costs are the biggest factor. Unfortunately, you can not plan a heart attack or kidney stones. Costs in the private Thai Hospitals keeps going up and up.

You have to remember that the number of retirees is rising exponentially and we haven't seen masses of old people being forced to visit the idea of medical care in old age.

Personally I think there will be relative carnage. People won't have the money and often their home countries won't want them back.

Just go to any thread about living costs and 90% plus of folk are on about how little you can exist on rather than how nice their retirement is. I suspect that once you cut through the rubbish, the true picture is that the vast majority of retirees are broke or near broke and they simply cannot afford to retire anywhere else. The flip side of this is that those with substantial retirement income have decided to retire elsewhere.

Having had a life threatening and almost fatal episode a few months ago, one of the things I realised was not to worry too much about a future that you may not even have, some things are beyond our control, you can try to plan but you must try to enjoy the now. This will sound depressing but you might not be here tomorrow, FYI every beer or meal or day of sunshine feels more precious to me now, think about that today, I don't know what it feels like to be dead, but I reckon this is better.

• Like 1

Having had a life threatening and almost fatal episode a few months ago, one of the things I realised was not to worry too much about a future that you may not even have, some things are beyond our control, you can try to plan but you must try to enjoy the now.

Those are the facts. wai.gif

Medical costs are the biggest factor. Unfortunately, you can not plan a heart attack or kidney stones. Costs in the private Thai Hospitals keeps going up and up.

Agreed that you cannot foresee sudden illnesses like heart attacks.

But with an address in Belgium, my Belgian sick insurance covers me during my "holiday" in Thailand.

When it is something you see coming, like diabetes or cancer, I would stay in Belgium for treatment.

There is another option which a lot more people are doing these days and spend half the year or whatever in Pattaya and the rest in your home country.

You get the best of both worlds that way.

It doesnt have to be all or nothing.

I recommend keeping a house in your home country no matter what you do you will always have that to come back to.

There is another option which a lot more people are doing these days and spend half the year or whatever in Pattaya and the rest in your home country.

You get the best of both worlds that way.

It doesnt have to be all or nothing.

I recommend keeping a house in your home country no matter what you do you will always have that to come back to.

Exactly my idea (see above). clap2.gif

I live one day at a time, so have no idea where I be when I am removed from this world.

The OP plans on living into his 80's or 90's. I'm with you - better to live one day at a time and enjoy the now instead of stressing about some uncertain "then".

I'm sure many forego the stress of having to return home for (cheaper) treatment and just jump. It would depend entirely upon the affliction.

i am old and feeling older every day

if i had planned to live beyond fifty, i woul have taken better care of myself

if anyone can tell me when i am going to die that would be very helpful

PS no hitmen need respond .........thank you

If 50 seemed like an unreachable goal you're probably not going to last long.

But with an address in Belgium, my Belgian sick insurance covers me during my "holiday" in Thailand.

When it is something you see coming, like diabetes or cancer, I would stay in Belgium for treatment.

Diabetes can be adequately taken care of by yourself with a litte study - unless you require limb amputation, in which case you'd probably be better off doing it at home. Diabetes doesn't happen overnight, I would suggest everyone who hasn't go down and have a blood test - today.

Edited by tropo

i am old and feeling older every day

if i had planned to live beyond fifty, i woul have taken better care of myself

if anyone can tell me when i am going to die that would be very helpful

PS no hitmen need respond .........thank you

If 50 seemed like an unreachable goal you're probably not going to last long.

thats no problem for me, i have lived my life as a tiger, i only hope i go out like one..........

• Like 1

I've only been living here in Patt's for eight yrs now. I know certainly not a long time

by any ones standard.

I was given a bit of advice by an old boy that had been here since the late 1960's on

my first trip here back in the early 90's. He told me "to have some stucture to your day

have something that keeps you occupied and get to the bars once-twice a week"..

Seems to have work out OK.............so farcoffee1.gif

''unless you require limb amputation, in which case you'd probably be better off doing it at home''.

i think thats a bit extreme, no insurance?

Edited by timekeeper

''unless you require limb amputation, in which case you'd probably be better off doing it at home''.

i think thats a bit extreme, no insurance?

Diabetes is one the leading causes of amputation of the lower limbs throughout the world. It is also a leading cause of blindness. The sad part is that these "symptoms" are usually avoidable if diabetes is detected early through a cheap and simple blood test.

The problem with your "happy to die when I reach xx age" mentality is that often the dying process can be gradual and painful. It's not like you're going to wake up one day and decide - "this is the day I die".

Edited by tropo