Buying Consortium Power

ChinesePanda

How is farang any different then, Asian, Black, Jew, Indian, Mexican or whatever?

Ummm... Huh???

When was the last time you walked down the street in <wherever you're from> and shouted "Hey, Asian!"... "Hey, Black!"... at someone?

Don't get me wrong, I couldn't give a rat's ass when anybody shouts "hey, farang" any more than I was offended by "hey, mzungu" in Africa. But there IS a difference, is all I'm pointing out... Surely you can see that?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'when you're in Rome, do what the Romans do' so I was told.

then why get so upset over thais calling us 'Farang'?

In the thai dict it did not sound the least offensive.......or was I alone?

imagine telling a fellow thai, khun white people or khun black or khun asian, won't they scratch their heads? its so easy to relate to the maekhas on Walking Street when i said 'size farang' they gave me what I want rather than to turn the whole pile of garments on the floor.

the same when we call the thai people as simply 'thais'....I'm sure they prefer to be addressed as 'khun thai'.......... the pot calling the kettle black?

Edited by ChinesePanda

'when you're in Rome, do what the Romans do' so I was told.

then why get so upset over thais calling us 'Farang'?

In the thai dict it did not sound the least offensive.......or was I alone?

imagine telling a fellow thai, khun white people or khun black or khun asian, won't they scratch their heads? its so easy to relate to the maekha

Mr. Panda, you are correct. There is absolutely nothing offensive about the term "farang." Anyone who takes offense to it is simply cuckoo.

I don't think I have ever been hailed as "heh falang". If I walk past and I hear "heh you" I know it is some ne'erdowell male wanted something from me and I just walk on by. I've been in a mix of people (including relatives of my GF) and been referred to as the farang blatantly in their conversation which I do find a little rude; not being called a Farang; couldn't care less about that, but the fact that they are all in that place eating the food and drinking the beer courtesy of the man whose name they know, but can not be bothered to use. At which point, I merely butt into their conversation "pom chou Adam krub, mai farang krub" which gets met blank stares.

Try Hong Kong where on buying something in a shop near my house once the nice old lady handed me my change back, smiling sweetly saying "mod - removed" as if it was thank you for your custom. Anyway, I find the "king of the world expats" along Sukhumvit a lot more offensive than most Thai people.

Edited by onthedarkside
not needed Chinese talk removed

Your idea of a buyers consortium is more likely to become hard work with more savings made in lieu buy letting yourself get ripped off. No offence, nice idea but impractical. Unless you could meet the same turnover (or order quantity) the same stores you would otherwise buy from would generate then you will never get the same price as they will and allways be paying more. You also raise other complications when you do things that are esentially running an enterprise, work permits etc?

Your idea of a buyers consortium is more likely to become hard work with more savings made in lieu buy letting yourself get ripped off. No offence, nice idea but impractical. Unless you could meet the same turnover (or order quantity) the same stores you would otherwise buy from would generate then you will never get the same price as they will and allways be paying more. You also raise other complications when you do things that are esentially running an enterprise, work permits etc?

Master Damo....thank you for you have enlighten me on this quest.....I know now that I must never leave home without my blue jacket.jap.gif

OK my Thai is fine, but my Chinese sucks - so are you going to enlighten us???

I have always said the use of "farang" is fine if the intent is not offence and see no reason to change that view. I too get p!ssed when my employees call me "the farang" or others who know my name, say it blatantly infront of me. Probably shouldn't, but I do. When walking down the street "Hey farang", get a curt "Hey kon Asia" in response. I see no difference when used as a grouping term than saying "Blacks" (AFAIK most PC description now as Afro-Carribean is out) or "causcasian" even - not a problem. I also do not have a problem of farangs (there said it!) using it in the same fashion - we have come to associate it with western (or maybe European/American (the continents rather than countries - i.e. including Canada)/Australasia) - rather than skin colour, so is a useful term rather than saying "expats and tourists from Europe and/or native English speaking country men and woman" - which would make for a very drawn out conversation.

There areb pobably a lot of things we could do as a group - we would yield more than just buying power too perhaps - but it will never happen here - just too many neigh sayers and too much effort involved.

• Like 1

While we're on the subject of getting or not getting ripped off out shopping, does anyone know current prices for truckloads (3 cubic metre) of sand & stone? My wife, not being in the building trade, is just as likely to be ripped off as anyone else "not in the know".

Depends on how far they have to haul it to get to your location and on the quantity and quality. Stone comes in different sizes at different prices (half inch, three quarter inch ...) and river rock is another story. Sand has several different grades. Also, as you probably know a 3 cubic meter load is often less than that. I usually try to find somebody building nearby to check out their stuff and ask who they buy from and at what prices or go to a couple of places nearby that have piles of sand and stone for sale. Sorry I can't help with current prices, it has been a few years. Good luck with your project.

Well, I did get the discussion going, didn't I?

Yes you did. It's interesting from the podium you place yourself on, that you neglect to notice that Thai often call us farang, and it's tolerance that helps us get on.

You also in the same post as slamming what you see to be a slur word, you yourself make the assumption that those expats in this country that have a Thai as their wife or husband, must have had a failed relationship in the past...

And also interesting that all the blokes on the forum appear to let you get away with it..... Why? I guess because those that have had failed relationships have already learnt to deal with negative pious responses to their ideas. By divorcing and moving to Thailand for example.

All very interesting subtext about you ....

• Like 2

Ok, at last I Goggled the translation for a member's post. Not nice. So all the references to that post have been removed.

One of the posts that was removed was mine would it not be more sensible to remove/edit the original post?

Yes, the original post has been removed and the follow-up quotes also removed.

Ok, at last I Goggled the translation for a member's post. Not nice. So all the references to that post have been removed.

One of the posts that was removed was mine would it not be more sensible to remove/edit the original post?

Yes, the original post has been removed and the follow-up quotes also removed.

It's still there, posted at 15.04 pm

Edited by onthedarkside
now removed

So, he wants to form a buying club so that once a month, when a purchase is needed, he can go to a shop with a big list of stuff from the club, and get a better price due to buying large quantities

What do people usually buy once a month, except maybe groceries or stock up on booze?

Stone (3/4) 5 cu (1 truck load) = 2300 Bt

Sand 5 cu (1 truck) = 1700 Bt

Thanks cmsally.

Depends on how far they have to haul it to get to your location and on the quantity and quality. Stone comes in different sizes at different prices (half inch, three quarter inch ...) and river rock is another story. Sand has several different grades. Also, as you probably know a 3 cubic meter load is often less than that. I usually try to find somebody building nearby to check out their stuff and ask who they buy from and at what prices or go to a couple of places nearby that have piles of sand and stone for sale. Sorry I can't help with current prices, it has been a few years. Good luck with your project.

Thanks for that. Understand about the different grades of stone, not about the sand. Just want cheap sand, to brush into cracks in the lawn (too much clay). Stone is for driveway, not sure which stone yet. Prices do seem to have risen substantially since we last had stuff trucked in, about 5 yrs ago sad.png

Edited by MESmith

Thanks for that. Understand about the different grades of stone, not about the sand. Just want cheap sand, to brush into cracks in the lawn (too much clay). Stone is for driveway, not sure which stone yet. Prices do seem to have risen substantially since we last had stuff trucked in, about 5 yrs ago sad.png

Coarse sand will be best for the lawn, cheaper with some small rocks in it which you can pick out of the lawn if necessary.

I have had people tell me not to use small rock for a driveway because it gets stuck in tires but I have used it without problems, it gets packed down into the dirt fairly quickly. The bigger stuff can be difficult to walk on.

yep, I think you will be paying substantially more than 5 years ago

So, he wants to form a buying club so that once a month, when a purchase is needed, he can go to a shop with a big list of stuff from the club, and get a better price due to buying large quantities

What do people usually buy once a month, except maybe groceries or stock up on booze?

I have no idea. I knocked my Fabergé Egg monthly habit on the head a few months ago.

Thanks to some for considering the idea feasible and also thanks to others for sharing their opinion.

Still there are more ways than one to make this work, effort is unavoidable but to think of accomplishing great savings for charity funds would be a sweet thought for one.

Charity homes, churches, schools, hospitality sectors, etc, would need monthly inventory....

I am firm that this will work out positive results to those willing to pull a chair around this table.

We are flying on planes now because of someone's dream, and we have sent men to the moon, so whatelse could stop us if not ourselves?

Just think about the idea a little bit and more will benefit from this.

Some of you karate black belts I acknowledge you are good at kicking ass and some of you higher beings are good at slamming doors at others but I hope all of you can see that the ultimate idea is to get more savings so somewhere down the chain some poor boy could have a pair of thick woolen socks in the cooler season or some pitiful poor old folks up on the Dois could sleep under a thick warm comfortable blanket, not to mention some lovely angels on the hills will be able to play Pac-man and watch Ben-10 in the community hall.

This will be my final statement, good luck and hope you folks have a great lifestyle in LOS.

Thanks to some for considering the idea feasible and also thanks to others for sharing their opinion.

Still there are more ways than one to make this work, effort is unavoidable but to think of accomplishing great savings for charity funds would be a sweet thought for one.

Charity homes, churches, schools, hospitality sectors, etc, would need monthly inventory....

I am firm that this will work out positive results to those willing to pull a chair around this table.

We are flying on planes now because of someone's dream, and we have sent men to the moon, so whatelse could stop us if not ourselves?

Just think about the idea a little bit and more will benefit from this.

Some of you karate black belts I acknowledge you are good at kicking ass and some of you higher beings are good at slamming doors at others but I hope all of you can see that the ultimate idea is to get more savings so somewhere down the chain some poor boy could have a pair of thick woolen socks in the cooler season or some pitiful poor old folks up on the Dois could sleep under a thick warm comfortable blanket, not to mention some lovely angels on the hills will be able to play Pac-man and watch Ben-10 in the community hall.

This will be my final statement, good luck and hope you folks have a great lifestyle in LOS.

Good luck to you, Panda. Perhaps you can come back some day and tell us about the kinds of deals you and your consortium managed to pull-off. That'd be the best advertisement, afterall, demonstrated success.

The idea of a buying consortium is kind of the business model for some big U.S. warehouse stores, i.e. Sam's Club and CostCo. We belonged to Sam's Club for a while, but let our membership drop. For most people, once they get "settled" into a new home they aren't routinely making big ticket purchases. How often do you buy a TV, sound system, etc? As Uptheos said, most of our monthly purchases are groceries and I found Sam's Club too inconvenient for this. They didn't always stock an item and they tend to offer big packages, where it looks like you're getting a good deal. I'd go thinking I was just going to pick up a few items and come back with a pallet of toilet paper because it was a good price (yeah, but do you know how long it takes for two people to use a pallet of TP, not to mention the storage issues!)

I think if the OP had posted his initial inquiry in a more neutral manner, I wouldn't have over-reacted. Yes, it is a idea worth discussing, but what got my goat was the implication that:

1. all white people here are male and have female Thai partners

2. none of the white people can communicate in the Thai language

3. all Thai merchants intend to cheat white people

4. no white person can negoiate a good price on their own -- they need the help of a Thai person

4a) white people blunder thru life; thank god they have a Thai partner, otherwise they'd never survive here

5. only whte foreigners need this type of assistance. Presumably Japanese nationals, etc, aren't helpless victims

6. white people routinely buy big tickets items

Yes, I made assumptions about the OP and I've found that other people's assumption about me are amusing!

I wish the OP good fortune in setting up his buying consortium. There's really nothing stopping him, although this initial attempt at market research looks less than promising. I'd question if there really is an un-met need for these services.

Edited by NancyL

Well, the one and only interaction ive had with nancy is when i posted about my internet connection having troubles and her response was uncalled for. Later justified by the fact that she had troubles finding her beans for her gravy or something for Thanksgiving..i just wish people kept the same courtesy on forums that they (hopefully) have in real life.

Live and learn. No ressentment here. I just expressed what i felt what i read this, and tried to make op not take those comments to personally/seriously.

wishing a great evening to everyone.

ps: regarding the 'farang' word ,as far as i know, based on my 7 years in thailand, it is not derogatory ( of course, it depends on the tone of the voice when said). There are no other ways to refer to foreigners in thai, besides a very fromal way used in written language. And even if it were derogatory, lets turn it upside down like the word '##gga' and make it ours..it will then loose its original pejorative intent and power.