Reliable Taser For Self-Defence. Where To Buy?

WhiteCadillac

Well there is reasons for carrying them and reasons for not carrying them in every town or village in the world. Threads like this just tend to make some people have second thoughts about their safety here in Chiang Mai. Yes use common sense but that is true were ever you are. Here in Chiang Mai if you do not use common sense you are still a lot safer than where most of us come from. Threads like this tend to minimize that.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another post about caring guns and now Stun Guns,who are these people,

that they feel the need to carry self defense protection ,especially in Chiang Mai.

Over the years I have been to many dangerous places around the world,first

line of defense is your mouth,talk your way out of situations,then I already

look like a mugger,so that helps.

You are going to look stupid pulling out a stun gun ,when the other guy pulls a .45

But if it makes you feel like a big man to carry a weapon,so be it,but learn to use it,first

regards Worgeordie

Very much with you on this one, same as the gun thread..

Do any posters have an idea of how foolish it is to you a stun gun (apart from the risk that you can actually kill someone witha weak hear or a congenital defect, or by doing it too much).

Lets remember that police forces use these devices as an alternate means of non lethal force......not for self defence.

You are really unlikely to get a "taser" with projectile pins so the best you will get in CM is a stun gun. That means your up close and personal. As opposed to a knife being weilded by the other person (or perhaps yourself) which has a metre plus slash range. What that means is that you have to get past the slashing knife to be able to apply the stun (at which point you will probably have multiple slashes or stab wounds). It never ceases to suprise me how many young women carry knives or box cutters.....my money would be on them over a someone pulling stun gun.

Stun guns do not frighten anyone...knives do.

A stun gun is used to subdue (not defend). You have become the aggressor.

Absolutely no legitimate use in CM as at al, and many viable alternatives (keep your mouth shut and walk/run away being the best).

Criminals/thugs use stun guns to creep on unsuspecting victims, get close stun rob or otherwise acost....happy stalking.

Which leads us down the road of escalation. You have a stun gun, people get knives, then prowl/hunt in packs, then guns...might as well stayed in home country.

They say a little or no knowledge is a dangerous thing and you've proven that beyond doubt,let me explain why!

I have wide-ranging experience in Martial Arts,as anyone else with wide-ranging experience would know from my user name!In the case of a knife attack leaning back or stepping back may get you out of range of the arc of a slashing attack,probably not a stabbing attack as your attacker would just follow you with his thrust.

In Martial Arts the key is to always clear the trajectory of the weapon,be it a blunt instrument,bladed or firearm,how many people do you know who can outrun a gun,not many?rolleyes.gif

The most effective way to negate any such attack is by actually entering into the attacker's space,inside the arc of attack of a weapon,it is known as 'Irime' in Japanese.A defence doesn't necessarily mean that you will avoid any damage whatsoever but also an attacker has to come into 'Mai-ai' or fighting distance

in order to use his weapon in the case of a bladed weapon,he is much less likely to want to do that if you are waving a stun gun in his face,it will become a Mexican standoff.You will have made yourself a difficult target with significant possibility of the attacker sustaining damage,he will likely give up his attack.

It why lions on the Serengheti rarely attack buffalo,for instance,they cannot risk injury and impair their hunting skills.Same with a scumbag,he wants an easy target,a victim,not someone who will fight back!

In the case of a gun,you need to get to him before he has time to aim and fire,if you have entered into his personal space and cleared the angle of fire,you will have given yourself the opportunity to neutralise him before he can discharge his weapon!

Edited by Vale Tudo

The whole point of carying pepper spray,C.S. Gas or a stun gun is to give you an edge over your attacker,it is however mostly a psychological thing.I've trained with many people who give among other things self-defence classes and even trained Special Forces units and they always say the same thing,DO NOT look like a victim,that's the key!

An attacker is looking for the guy that's pre-occupied,looks worried,timid and scared and isn't paying attention to what's going on around him,looking at the floor.

If you have some form of personal defence on your person your whole demenour changes,you'll subconciously walk taller and look around more confidently.Knowing that you have something to give you the edge to escape,should an attack materialise.

It's just a stone-cold fact that most fights are won before they've even started and this goes way back to the days of The Samurai and before.A Samurai could tell by his opponent's stance and the way he held his sword as to how good he was,if he thought the fight was not winnable he would walk away.Better that than to draw your Katana and discover you were right after all and now you're dead!w00t.gif

Look at Mike Tyson,the baddest man on the planet in his younger days.His fights were won before his opponents even entered the ring,so fearsome was his reputtation,it's all in the mind!

So to everyone who's saying the OP shouldn't be carrying a stun gun or any other form of personal defence you're wrong,dead wrong.It just might save his life one day,without him knowing anything about it!

• Like 1

The whole point of carying pepper spray,C.S. Gas or a stun gun is to give you an edge over your attacker,it is however mostly a psychological thing.I've trained with many people who give among other things self-defence classes and even trained Special Forces units and they always say the same thing,DO NOT look like a victim,that's the key!

An attacker is looking for the guy that's pre-occupied,looks worried,timid and scared and isn't paying attention to what's going on around him,looking at the floor.

If you have some form of personal defence on your person your whole demenour changes,you'll subconciously walk taller and look around more confidently.Knowing that you have something to give you the edge to escape,should an attack materialise.

It's just a stone-cold fact that most fights are won before they've even started and this goes way back to the days of The Samurai and before.A Samurai could tell by his opponent's stance and the way he held his sword as to how good he was,if he thought the fight was not winnable he would walk away.Better that than to draw your Katana and discover you were right after all and now you're dead!w00t.gif

Look at Mike Tyson,the baddest man on the planet in his younger days.His fights were won before his opponents even entered the ring,so fearsome was his reputtation,it's all in the mind!

So to everyone who's saying the OP shouldn't be carrying a stun gun or any other form of personal defence you're wrong,dead wrong.It just might save his life one day,without him knowing anything about it!

As I said threads like this can create paranoia.

Make sure your tuk tuk driver is a good escape artist and knows every small soi....much better than all of the above...takes a real man to walk away from trouble...we are guests ...why would you want to kill, maim or injure anyone for ?

Go for a hotel buffet and chill out...

Make sure your tuk tuk driver is a good escape artist and knows every small soi....much better than all of the above...takes a real man to walk away from trouble...we are guests ...why would you want to kill, maim or injure anyone for ?

Go for a hotel buffet and chill out...

I think this the Chiang Mai version of Marie Antoinette's reply, when told that her subjects had no bread to eat, said "Let them eat cake."

I'm sure she was surprised to lose her head over it. That sort of thing always comes as a surprise.

Well there is reasons for carrying them and reasons for not carrying them in every town or village in the world. Threads like this just tend to make some people have second thoughts about their safety here in Chiang Mai. Yes use common sense but that is true were ever you are. Here in Chiang Mai if you do not use common sense you are still a lot safer than where most of us come from. Threads like this tend to minimize that.

My mum used to carry a pot of white pepper, she worked on school meals and occasionally word would go around about a 'man hanging around the school' - she was in charge, so first in (alone) at 6am. Uncle (policeman) told her she could be arrested for carrying a weapon - i.e. that was the only reason she had it in her pocket/hand, but she worked in a kitchen so prove it. I have to agree though that it is very over the top here in CM. I have never once in 3 years found myself in an uncomfortable position, let alone being afraid - even soi dogs don't seem to bother me, I give them the death stare and it seems to work (so far). There's no way I would walk around certain area's of Bangkok or Pattaya or Phucket even with my husband, but there are a lot more places in the north east of England that I wouldn't walk with my husband, a pitbull and a taser. And probably an AK47. It's wild country in the Boro these days.

I take your point. Rather odd, however! Did he have really bad BO? laugh.png

Seriously, though, that's really rather bizarre.

It was very bizarre! The guy was nice as nice could be, but no matter where he went someone always started in on him.

You are correct, the guy asked a simple question, and people have expanded considerably on it in responding. As "they" say, that's what happens on forums. Are you really surprised that someone who wants to arm himself doesn't arouse various concerns?

The other thing that comes to mind (right now) is that there are very serious concerns about proper and effective use of such firearms, especially under extreme circumstances. A mugger? They work by surprise. Does one walk down the soi like some Dodge City cowboy or Crocodile Dunndee? Such fantasy! A burglar? The burglar may be armed, too, and feel cornered enough to use it. A real psychopath? How many of those are around?

And then, there is the matter of being trained and able to use a hand weapon properly! That can be either a joke or a tragedy! Too many silly movies movies stimulating Rambo-like or macho fantasies. Get real, people!

No, I'm not surprised at the responses. This is ThaiVisa and I've been around for a lot of years and seen the same posters behave in the same ways. And I quite agree with your ideas about the use of weapons. Unless a weapon is in your hand at the time you need it, it does no good at all. And unless one is trained to use it, and use it under strained circumstances, it's just as useless. We advise women to walk to their cars even in well lighted shopping malls at night holding their keys protruding from between their fingers, or in States where it is legal, to carry their can of mace in their hands not in their purse. After being trained in its use. Having it in pocket or purse does no good at all.

As I said in another thread, the way to stay safe is to use common sense. But that only makes us as safe as the situation allows. It doesn't take into consideration outside problems that the OP may or may not have. After all, someone does get victimized now and again.

But it could never happen to us.

Who is "we" that advises women to carry their keys protruding from between their fingers?

MSPain

Again...read what a forum is.

This thread has had ranged from pit bulls to amperage not sure how relevant they are to the Op's question either.

Likewise amonia solutions and pictures of tanksrolleyes.gif

Please calm down......

You must admit a tank could be bloody handy for getting around town ... no need to flash h/lights to get ppl to move over! tongue.pngw00t.gif And a stun gun walking stick (ZAP Cane) would keep soi dogs, beggars and unruly kids at bay! cheesy.gif

2275.jpg

By Jove I think your on to some thing with that stun cane. It would have to be made sturdy though in case of a fall.wai2.gif

They would have to be adjustable for the people who really do need a cane.sad.png

I take your point. Rather odd, however! Did he have really bad BO? laugh.png

Seriously, though, that's really rather bizarre.

It was very bizarre! The guy was nice as nice could be, but no matter where he went someone always started in on him.

You are correct, the guy asked a simple question, and people have expanded considerably on it in responding. As "they" say, that's what happens on forums. Are you really surprised that someone who wants to arm himself doesn't arouse various concerns?

The other thing that comes to mind (right now) is that there are very serious concerns about proper and effective use of such firearms, especially under extreme circumstances. A mugger? They work by surprise. Does one walk down the soi like some Dodge City cowboy or Crocodile Dunndee? Such fantasy! A burglar? The burglar may be armed, too, and feel cornered enough to use it. A real psychopath? How many of those are around?

And then, there is the matter of being trained and able to use a hand weapon properly! That can be either a joke or a tragedy! Too many silly movies movies stimulating Rambo-like or macho fantasies. Get real, people!

No, I'm not surprised at the responses. This is ThaiVisa and I've been around for a lot of years and seen the same posters behave in the same ways. And I quite agree with your ideas about the use of weapons. Unless a weapon is in your hand at the time you need it, it does no good at all. And unless one is trained to use it, and use it under strained circumstances, it's just as useless. We advise women to walk to their cars even in well lighted shopping malls at night holding their keys protruding from between their fingers, or in States where it is legal, to carry their can of mace in their hands not in their purse. After being trained in its use. Having it in pocket or purse does no good at all.

As I said in another thread, the way to stay safe is to use common sense. But that only makes us as safe as the situation allows. It doesn't take into consideration outside problems that the OP may or may not have. After all, someone does get victimized now and again.

But it could never happen to us.

Who is "we" that advises women to carry their keys protruding from between their fingers?

MSPain

The 'we' are people who teach classes in Self-defense for Women, and Self-defense for Seniors. We teach people how not to become victims. We do NOT teach people to be martial artists. We teach them street smarts, awareness of surroundings, how not to appear to be a suitable first choice as a target, and what to do if you are targeted.

A study was conducted across the inmate population of several large state prisons, with inmates incarcerated for assault crimes (mugging, car jacking, robbery, etc.) Several thousand convicts. They showed the inmates short videos of people walking along a street and asked the inmates to rate each person, on a scale of 1-10, as a first choice as a victim through NO WAY would I try to mug THAT person, etc. just based on the way the people appeared as they walked down the street, There was almost universal agreement among them all of as to who they would choose and who they would not choose.

Some 99.5% of the population has never been victimized. Perhaps higher. But one thing was common among most that were was the idea that 'it could never happen to me.' There are high crime areas and low crime areas. Obviously. But there are no 'no crime' areas. Chiang Mai is far safer than East St. Louis, the South Bronx, the Marseilles dock area, or most of London. But for some reason, people still manage to get mugged there, have their purses snatched or passports stolen, or beat on by somebody else. It's not a bad idea to 'learn' how not to be a victim. The odds are that you won't be, but the chances are that you will...

Edited by FolkGuitar
  • Like 1

FolkGuitar,

Where do you teach this self defense?

MSPain

I'm not teaching these days. I stopped when I moved to Asia. I taught classes at one college and in a university, both for four years, and a city's Adult Education Program for about 12 years before moving. All were in the North-east part of the U.S. These classes included guest speakers from city and State police forces on local laws regarding self-defense. (In some States, even the use of the term 'self-defense' in court requires that you actually be physically in a corner and can not retreat. In other States you can shoot someone climbing over your fence in your front yard and get away with it... It's a good idea to know the local laws.)

FolkGuitar,

MSPain

I'm not teaching these days. I stopped when I moved to Asia. I taught classes at one college and in a university, both for four years, and a city's Adult Education Program for about 12 years before moving. All were in the North-east part of the U.S. These classes included guest speakers from city and State police forces on local laws regarding self-defense. (In some States, even the use of the term 'self-defense' in court requires that you actually be physically in a corner and can not retreat. In other States you can shoot someone climbing over your fence in your front yard and get away with it... It's a good idea to know the local laws.)

This is interesting to me. Do you mind posting your own personal training? I mean what training did you use to make the material you taught?

MSPain

FolkGuitar,

MSPain

This is interesting to me. Do you mind posting your own personal training? I mean what training did you use to make the material you taught?

MSPain

Many years of Martial Arts training in three different arts, (2nd degree Black belt in one, Master of Arms in another, and just years of training in the third,) police training, military training, and common sense. Then collaboration with local and State police to develop the curriculum. There are specific problems that women must deal with that men never encounter... i.e. Uncle Bill gets a bit too drunk at Thanksgiving dinner and starts to get amorous. She really doesn't want to break Uncle Bill's arm or Mace him, but she does need to keep him off her when he won't take 'no' for an answer. And problems that senior citizens face, now that they can't move around so well, or must use a cane for stability... For many, that is a very frightening. They no longer even have the option of running away, which is usually the very best defense to most situations. To be able to give them the confidence to be able to go about their daily routines comfortably again is nice! In both cases it's giving people more options. More choices about how they can conduct their lives. Taking back personal control of their existence at a better level.

Edited by FolkGuitar

• 7 months later...

A small plastic spray bottle with the hole slightly enlarged with a sewing needle (to make more of a stream than a mist,) and filled with a diluted mix of ammonia and water will do just as good a job, and can be claimed that the reason for carrying it was that you were doing your laundry and forgot it in your pocket. No charges of 'carrying a dangerous weapon with premeditation...' Non-lethal. Will work on dogs or people. Even on people too drugged out for a stun gun to put down. Just be sure to get the bottle that has the finger-shaped button so you spray in the correct direction.

you're using my oxygen

judging by the replies chastising the op for considering getting a taser i think we can assume most of those people have never been the victim of a violent crime - mugging, burglarized while they are home etc, and therefore assume that as it hasn't happened yet it can never happen.

some of the suggestions so far -

talk your way out of it?

walk/run away

dont look like a victim

how does one talk ones way out of a mugging? sure if the attacker approaches front on and you just throw out your wallet but what if they belt you from behind and as you get up the move in for a second attack?

walk/run away and dont look like a victim? most of the posters on tv are im assuming 'old codgers' :P that probably couldnt run away and there age may have them viewed as a 'soft target'

how do we know the op is not a woman - or inquiring for a gf or wife - plenty of women have complied with muggers and then the mugger has got an even more sinister idea in his head and a mugging has turned into a rape

but apparently most of thaivisa lives in a really nice sweet world where such things dont happen

• Like 2

judging by the replies chastising the op for considering getting a taser i think we can assume most of those people have never been the victim of a violent crime - mugging, burglarized while they are home etc, and therefore assume that as it hasn't happened yet it can never happen.

talk your way out of it?

walk/run away

dont look like a victim

how does one talk ones way out of a mugging? sure if the attacker approaches front on and you just throw out your wallet but what if they belt you from behind and as you get up the move in for a second attack?

walk/run away and dont look like a victim? most of the posters on tv are im assuming 'old codgers' tongue.png that probably couldnt run away and there age may have them viewed as a 'soft target'

how do we know the op is not a woman - or inquiring for a gf or wife - plenty of women have complied with muggers and then the mugger has got an even more sinister idea in his head and a mugging has turned into a rape

but apparently most of thaivisa lives in a really nice sweet world where such things dont happen

Sure okay, lets review give up the wallet or do time for carrying a concealed weapon 555555555

A small plastic spray bottle with the hole slightly enlarged with a sewing needle (to make more of a stream than a mist,) and filled with a diluted mix of ammonia and water will do just as good a job, and can be claimed that the reason for carrying it was that you were doing your laundry and forgot it in your pocket. No charges of 'carrying a dangerous weapon with premeditation...' Non-lethal. Will work on dogs or people. Even on people too drugged out for a stun gun to put down. Just be sure to get the bottle that has the finger-shaped button so you spray in the correct direction.

you're using my oxygen

I discovered that it wasn't doing you much good...

talk your way out of it?

walk/run away

dont look like a victim

walk/run away and dont look like a victim? most of the posters on tv are im assuming 'old codgers' tongue.png that probably couldnt run away and there age may have them viewed as a 'soft target'

Sure okay, lets review give up the wallet or do time for carrying a concealed weapon 555555555

It would seem that some folks don't consider the fact that not all personal attacks are after money. Giving up a wallet IS the safest option IF a thief is only there to rob you. Perhaps the last woman to get raped in Chiang Mai could very well have avoided the rape by offering the rapist 100 baht. But sometimes that doesn't work.

And there is no need for concealed weapons carry. There are plenty that can be carried in plain sight legally if desired.

But that is NOT what the OP asked about.... and he asked it 6 months ago. This was a dead thread.

He asked where he could buy a taser. And instead of just simply ignoring his post, of saying 'gee, I don't know,' people felt the need to tell him their feelings about carrying one. I wonder about their need to hijack the OP's thread.

OP...if you want one, you can buy them at the Night Bazaar, or in the Military Supply stores outside the moat.

• Like 1