Detectives Travel To Thailand To Seek Justice For Kirsty Jones

Lite Beer

The Thai police are losing face once again on this case. They have spent 12 years doing everything possible to NOT solve this case. Why ?? Because clearly a person of influence is involved in this case. So in a battle between loss of face / loss of tourism, and a person of influence being brought to justice, it is pretty clear who has won. I hope the British police enjoy their vacation, because unless the British Ambassador brings some heavy pressure to bear, this case will never be solved.

Who is the person of influence involved or is this just an assumption? I know nothing about the facts of this case but do know that even in the US that 40% of murders go unsolved. The US along with Thailand also has some of the highest incarcerations (% of pop. behind bars) in the world. Unless there are facts to point another way, I wouldn't just assume this unsolved crime has anything to do with corruption.

True that many murders are unsolved everywhere - but not when they have genetic evidence. This reduces the odds of 'not being caught' considerably.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Thai police are losing face once again on this case. They have spent 12 years doing everything possible to NOT solve this case. Why ?? Because clearly a person of influence is involved in this case. So in a battle between loss of face / loss of tourism, and a person of influence being brought to justice, it is pretty clear who has won. I hope the British police enjoy their vacation, because unless the British Ambassador brings some heavy pressure to bear, this case will never be solved.

Who is the person of influence involved or is this just an assumption? I know nothing about the facts of this case but do know that even in the US that 40% of murders go unsolved. The US along with Thailand also has some of the highest incarcerations (% of pop. behind bars) in the world. Unless there are facts to point another way, I wouldn't just assume this unsolved crime has anything to do with corruption.

True that many murders are unsolved everywhere - but not when they have genetic evidence. This reduces the odds of 'not being caught' considerably.

I thought I heard something about a problem with the DNA or the Lab or something that resulted in problems ... again not saying in this case there was no cover-up but it just gets old hearing the same old BS speculation from people in a country that leads much of the rest of the world in NOT having a problem locking up their citizens for crimes regardless of if they are committed against a Thai or Farang.

I thought I heard something about a problem with the DNA or the Lab or something that resulted in problems ... again not saying in this case there was no cover-up but it just gets old hearing the same old BS speculation from people in a country that leads much of the rest of the world in NOT having a problem locking up their citizens for crimes regardless of if they are committed against a Thai or Farang.

I gather the problem is with DNA from the suspect/s - but not the original DNA obtained from the murdered woman?

Perhaps they have a high incarceration rate of those from the lower strata of a society that is inherently very hierarchical and social position creates its own immunity, regardless of the nationality, but not the hierarchical position of the victim. Corruption is not necessarily the appropriate word to describe the situation when identification of a wrongdoer might have an impact on what is perceived as an overriding need to maintain social cohesion.

Please take note - I deliberately made no mention of ethics, morals or any other idealised theories in this post, purely societal controls

• Like 1

"took place in August 2000"

More than 11 years ago. Very incompetent so someone should tell the detective don’t bother to talk to Thai officials, they will not be helpful at all and just do you job independently

Agree. I would say that the Thai officials have been covering this up for years and they will do nothing but lie to and hinder any outsiders. They have Buckley's of getting any co operation from the BIB at all, just forget and go home.

Thai police are very very corrupt and will go to great lengths to protect their own. However if the order comes down from their commander to arrest the perpetrator, they will do this to save their own necks.

The key to this is how to get the most senior police officer in Chiang Mai to order this. He has to see that the benefits outweigh the disadvantages and for the last 12 years they have not.

The Dyfed Powys police presented a full DNA profile of the killer to the Thai police a long time ago. As stated by them, the Welsh police, this case is very solvable. There was, I believe, semen at the scene.

• Like 1

Perhaps they have a high incarceration rate of those from the lower strata of a society that is inherently very hierarchical and social position creates its own immunity, regardless of the nationality, but not the hierarchical position of the victim. Corruption is not necessarily the appropriate word to describe the situation when identification of a wrongdoer might have an impact on what is perceived as an overriding need to maintain social cohesion.

Please take note - I deliberately made no mention of ethics, morals or any other idealised theories in this post, purely societal controls

Which country locks up the rich, famous and powerful at the same rate as their poor? Which country does money, power and corruption not help you get a break not afforded those with lessor means?

• Like 1

Nearly every thread I read has one of your pointless and off topic comparisons with the USA.

More than 11 years ago. Very incompetent so someone should tell the detective don’t bother to talk to Thai officials, they will not be helpful at all and just do you job independently

Agree. I would say that the Thai officials have been covering this up for years and they will do nothing but lie to and hinder any outsiders. They have Buckley's of getting any co operation from the BIB at all, just forget and go home.

Maybe you should let them know this since they are too incompetent and certainly have had no dealings with the local police before deciding to come here where they have zero jurisdiction and will need to rely 100% on the local police.

But who knows maybe they are just ripping off tax payers at the expense of this dead women because they are that tiny minority of corrupt cops outside Thailand.

So yes, useless if you want to continue to act as though a Newly Industrialized nation such as Thailand is so horribly different than other places or for that matter all that much different than what is arguably the most modern and powerful country on earth.

Edited by Nisa

Nearly every thread I read has one of your pointless and off topic comparisons with the USA.

Useless to somebody who wishes to stay in a permanent doom and gloom state when it comes to Thailand and continue to spread their negative views and outlooks because of their own personal issues that force them to be a non-stop complainer who looks for a cloud in ever silver lining when it comes to anything Thai discussions on Thaivisa.

12 years already. Let by gone be by gone.

Anyway, she must have been reborned already, according to Buddhist teaching, that ends all krama.

What a daft comment Dave cowboy.gifrolleyes.gif .

I think I'd consider it more than daft, and the prior post was just complete lunacy and unspirited from this MEMBER! of Thaivisa. I wonder if his sister was brutally raped and murdered in Chiang Mai, and the police hid somebody of importance, would he respond in the same manner. Karma my ass! :@

Regardless of the history, the Welsh police would not be pursuing this after 12 years if they didn't think the DNA records are of great worth in finding the culprit. It is likely that access to the DNA is being prohibited, and that it may have been tampered with in order to protect the person of authority who lays responsible for this abuse of an innocent traveller.

Shame on those who wash away history and instill lack of closure to any family, especially posters here! Poor show!

-mel.

12 years on, there may well have been changes in allegience - top cops moved on (retired) etc. There is certainly a different political leadership here than back then. It may be that they get more help now than before. Once invited, how much authority does Interpol have here? Can they arrest or do they have to pass on to Thai police to carry that out? Anyone know?

• Like 1

I believe the police has known who the perpetrator is for a long time but if he is one of them or a member of a hiso family in the area, they wont bother. Nor will they provide any help to the British detectives now.

I agree with that, but it is long overdue for Thailand to actually realise that if they want any real respect from the rest of the world they should start playing by the same rules.

One main suspect, who refuses to give a DNA sample (which in most rational minds is already proof of guilt) ...... and then nothing, nope didn't happen here, heel dragging, diversion, delaying tactics, and typically Thai, if we ignore it long enough it will go away.

This should no longer be allowed to happen, I hope this is the first case (of many) that breaks the mould, it's taken too long already.

• Like 1

Why would the family wait so long to send detectives?

Probably has more to do with the cops being able to get the budget covered for a free trip to Thailand.

No. it's all about the Thai authorities being unco-operative. Had Thailand done the right thing at the start, this would have been dealt with long ago.

Probably has more to do with the cops being able to get the budget covered for a free trip to Thailand.

and perhaps have some cheap beer & cheap chicks in the process...?

I am sorry tp say I agreed with you

They will find that now the beer and the 'Chicks' are not cheap any more.. I have been following this case from the start and I wish the Dyfed Powys Police the best of luck

against a stacked deck..

Another hyper-Thai post from Nisa The Nasty. Proof that there should be a test and license for owning a computer keyboard.

I lived in Chiang Mai when this happened, knew the English owner of the Aree Guesthouse and his Thai girlfriend, and have kept in touch with some of the players in this sordid drama.I can from direct knowledge assure readers that the Welsh police are not interested in the girls and tawdry Thai scene. Without their unceasing efforts – along with Kristy's mother, the Welsh newspaper, the BBC, Andrew Drummond and pressure at the highest levels of government – this would have been permanently swept under the carpet long ago.I hope and pray that the day of reckoning for the creep who did it is drawing near.

• Like 1

No. it's all about the Thai authorities being unco-operative. Had Thailand done the right thing at the start, this would have been dealt with long ago.

And somehow this visit is going to make them be cooperative? Or are you suggesting these foreign police are going to have some authority in Thailand that is greater than that of a back packing tourist?

It is no wonder Thailand has recently been Blacklisted. It is obvious too, that they need to be "Blacklisted" in many other areas.

It seems to me that all the corrupition, the lying, cheating etc that goes on at the higher levels would be an Insult to their wonderfully honorable, world wide respected and wise King.

These things one would think would come under some sort of Lese Majastee.

all of us that come from wales,expecialy me spent over 30years fishing not far from kirsty's home,followed this case from the begining,who can forget the pictures on tv news of the tiny room where kirsty's body lay police,camera men,reporters none of them wearing any gloves so how dna was collected and by whom.the police in los knows who done it,and the welsh detectives as well,but they keep coming up against a brick wall,lets hope that justice prevails in the end.and for all those that posted sensitive shit you want to hope that nobody in your family suffers the same way.

I would have called you cynical, until recently, now, after having seen the action and lack of actions by the RTP in Phuket I am inclined to agree with you. There are far too many cover ups and it is far too easy to use suicide, when their is no coroner to investigate matters.

I wish the Welsh Police the best of luck, if only for Kirsty's family.

all of us that come from wales,expecialy me spent over 30years fishing not far from kirsty's home,followed this case from the begining,who can forget the pictures on tv news of the tiny room where kirsty's body lay police,camera men,reporters none of them wearing any gloves so how dna was collected and by whom.the police in los knows who done it,and the welsh detectives as well,but they keep coming up against a brick wall,lets hope that justice prevails in the end.and for all those that posted sensitive shit you want to hope that nobody in your family suffers the same way.

Well said, there are some very incensitive posts that should out off respect been removed by admin. I sincerely hope this does come to a close for the family sake.

And somehow this visit is going to make them be cooperative? Or are you suggesting these foreign police are going to have some authority in Thailand that is greater than that of a back packing tourist?

According to the BBC, they have had meetings with Thailand's top police officials -- just like " a back packing tourist", right?

I don't know how the mods define obscenity, which is no doubt banned on this site, but demeaning the efforts of policemen trying to solve a horrendous crime sure seems obscene to me.

I vote for a ban on this Nisa creature.

• Like 1

According to the BBC, they have had meetings with Thailand's top police officials -- just like " a back packing tourist", right?

I don't know how the mods define obscenity, which is no doubt banned on this site, but demeaning the efforts of policemen trying to solve a horrendous crime sure seems obscene to me.

I vote for a ban on this Nisa creature.

giggle.gifclap2.gifwai.gif