Corruption Is Ruining The Country

Jai Dee

CORRUPTION: Anand sounds warning

Graft becoming acceptable in Thai society and ruining the country, says former premier. Former prime minister Anand Panyarachun raised an alarm yesterday over corruption in the “entire family” and in “every family” as money politics becomes the norm in Thai society, a trend that he said bode ill for the country’s future.

“In other societies, some business firms gang up as mafia outfits to reap joint interests. In Thai society, they cheat in the entire family, in every family, as money politics is being accepted as a social norm,” he said.

Anand, in his capacity as chairman of Transparency Thailand, stated his concern in a strongly worded speech yesterday to an annual media award presentation ceremony organised by a non-profit organisation to promote transparency and accountability.

Respected anti-graft figures, including Auditor-General Khun-ying Charuwan Maintaka, former National Counter Corruption Commission secretary-general Klanarong Chantik, and former police chief General Prathin Santi-prapop, were among the guests.

Corruption has been so entrenched in Thai society at every level that there seems to be no cure for it at the moment, Anand said. He added that it saddened him to see a once-beautiful society turning into a more and more selfish nation.

“Some people even think that what is good for them must be good for the entire country. Rules and regulations can be changed on a whim, depending on who needs to use them,” he said.

In olden times, people were afraid to do wrong and more than ready to shun and condemn the corrupt. But now cheaters who do not get caught take pride in their ill-gotten gains as the fruit of good teamwork, he said.

“Many things unaccepted by the society when I was young seem to become acceptable now. What a big shame! They just don’t know what is right and what is wrong but think only money brings happiness,” he said.

“Craving for money, people, no matter whether they are good or bad, flock to the camp of those with political and financial power. They don’t know, however, that they are heading towards their doom,” Anand said.

“With such (selfishness) reigning, society will one day have no virtues left. It will be deprived of all moral and ethical integrity, intellect and responsibility. Society will be dead,” Anand said.

To save the country from ruin, he said members of the public and the media were beholden to counter corruption by exposing it.

“Working with honest responsibility, the media have the power to unmask corruptors who try to hide their crimes by claiming they are not corrupt. We can create a better society together,” he said.

Source: The Nation - December 09, 2005

“Some people even think that what is good for them must be good for the entire country. Rules and regulations can be changed on a whim, depending on who needs to use them,” he said.

are events accelerating?

in what to me was a surprising move - my GF set her alarm for 4am this morning so she could watch the first news broadcast of the day - she believes lumpini park will be very busy tonight , and advised me that if I am in the central areas of bangkok today to use the skytrain and subway as she thinks the traffic will be a lot worse than normal this afternoon and evening.

Corruption is and will be a part of Thailand. To totally eradicate corruption may result in more backlashes than benefits. I cannot visualize a corruption-free Thailand, but I can visualize chaos of some sort in the economy if corruption is cleaned out in one fell swoop. JMO. :o

Anand is Chairman of E Star PCL, a quoted real estate company partly owned by the Ratnarak family - who also control Bank of Ayudhya.

Post-crisis, foreclosed real estate was transferred from B of A's books into that of E Star. This now constitutes E Star's Bangkok land bank.

If I was seeking to buy shares in Bank of Ayudhya, I would be examining the price at which that transfer from one public company to another was made.

All this information is transparent and publicly available and everything that I mention above is readily accessible to those of an analytical inclination.

all this corruption keeps most thais struggling and poor ,its a shame .

poor education for most whilst those families in power are shoveling the dosh into their pockets .they cheat at exams because they know they can rely on nepotism for jobs and then backslide for the rest of their days in a comfy post .

it wont change its too entrenched in thai society.

If they had been colonised things would have been so different.

Yeah, let's bring back the days where all cabinet and ministry posts had to be doled out equally between candidates of the majority parties.

"Let's see, you're a General, have an honorary degree in political science? Okay, you'll be the finance minister!"

At least the current administration can afford not to bend to traditional Thai politics.

:o

Anand is Chairman of E Star PCL, a quoted real estate company partly owned by the Ratnarak family - who also control Bank of Ayudhya.

Post-crisis, foreclosed real estate was transferred from B of A's books into that of E Star. This now constitutes E Star's Bangkok land bank.

If I was seeking to buy shares in Bank of Ayudhya,  I would be examining the price at which that transfer from one public company to another was made.

All this information is transparent and publicly available and everything that I mention above is readily accessible to those of an analytical inclination.

Hey Moog, what's so surprising? He did say there was corruption in "every family" and at "every level of society" and it's "the norm". At least he is trying to be honest over this one and perhaps is regretting he never pulled a "Paoboon chine" number when he was PM and cleared out the attic. :o

Corruption is and will be a part of Thailand. To totally eradicate corruption may result in more backlashes than benefits. I cannot visualize a corruption-free Thailand, but I can visualize chaos of some sort in the economy if corruption is cleaned out in one fell swoop. JMO.  :o

I cannot imagine a corruption-free any-country, but it tends to be more discreet in so-called developed nations. Have a close look at politicians, industry and land-owners in your own country!

What a perfect world it would be to stamp out these sort of people, firstly they need a clean policed state for Implimentation, but it's impossible to stop completely and finding good "G MEN to clean out in one fell swoop" would not be easy. It can and hopefully will be reduced to an extent that is negligible with strong direct media coverage on prime time slots, free of suppression or gag orders.

Just a thought

Decreased even by 10 per cent over the next four to five years could add billions to the GDP . now thats a lot of dosh returned to society allowing 5-6 figure job prospects and street lighting.

hopeful.

Googled for fun

How to Lead By Example: Dr. Schuler's Ten Rules for Working and Living

by A. J. Schuler, Psy. D.

People talk about "leading by example," but what does that mean? By incorporating the following attitudes and practices into your life, you will not only improve your own life, but also begin to fashion yourself into the kind of person that others will follow and emulate - the very definition of leading by example. So, here are my "Ten Rules for Working and Living:

"The Lives We Live are the Lives We Create

Yes, life is a creative art. Expectations are often self-fulfilling.

If we expect life to be good, if we believe it is filled with opportunities and cause for celebration, then we will notice those things and live so as to promote them, even without conscious intent.

If we believe life is a marathon of unremitting toil and scarcity, then toil and scarcity will be all that we find and experience, and we will inadvertently create the circumstances that promote them. You cannot expect to win the lottery and then win the lottery: that is magical thinking, the special realm of childhood (or of adult madness). But you can (and do) nurture a basic attitude toward living, and if you don't take control of it, it most assuredly will take control of you.

Health and Productivity go Hand in Hand

We talk a lot about the importance of balance, and surely everyone's definition of balance is, well, different. In order to be productive and healthy, we all have to take care of our minds, bodies and spirits, but the reverse is also true: being productive is inherently healthy, and doing good, meaningful work that fits our talents can keep us alive and healthy a long time. How often do we see someone retire and then fall into poor health? Doing what you love to do, and doing it well, and especially helping other people learn and succeed, brings benefit back to you. In the end, it does not matter what it is you do, so long as it is not destructive to others and you feel you are making a contribution. No matter how menial or arcane the job, all work has inherent dignity and can become a medium

through which a person can grow and make a contribution to others.

As We Treat Others, So Shall We Be Treated

This is about the law of averages. Yes, there is injustice in the world, and yes, there is cruelty. Bad things happen to good people, and vice versa. But in general, we may sow what we reap. I once read a quote: "Make your words sweet:" you may have to eat them later! People notice how we treat them, especially when we are in positions of leadership, and most especially when we think no one is looking. What goes around comes around.

Don't Wait for Solutions: Create Them

Some people are experts in seeing what is wrong with a situation, system, organization or person. But what good is such expertise? What does it solve or create? I am forever baffled by people who see themselves as passive - unable to create a solution or work toward one. What does anyone get out of being a perpetual critic? A temporary feeling of power or superiority? What could be a more impoverished way to live than that? Two schools of thought here: the active and the passive. The passive and negative position waits for someone else to make a bad situation better, perhaps faulting others for their inaction (we see this in offices all the time). The positive and active position works to build a productive awareness among those who can influence a negative situation so that all can take collective action to make it better. Guess which type of person others naturally follow - and then imitate?

Negativity Kills

Literally. What is violence but an extreme expression of negativity? But killer negativity does not require a physical manifestation to wreck its havoc. We know that negative thinking weakens the immune system and contributes to disease and to an increase in mortality. We also know that negativity is contagious: for example, when there is a high profile suicide in some community, health experts know to expect a new spate of imitative suicides or suicide attempts, even among those with no social connection to that first poor, despairing person. Suicide, and even severe negativity or depression, can spread like an epidemic, or like a cancer. Even in small doses, negativity contributes to illness and ultimately to death. This represents a universal truth of living, or "anti-living." Why are people drawn to leaders? Because leaders, through their attitudes and abilities to resist or overcome negativity, function like antibodies in the world, fighting

negativity and adding "life" to those around them. If negativity is a cancer, then good leaders, just in the way they carry themselves and approach the world, fight that cancer, all the time.

Communication Starts With Listening

Don't worry about trying to express yourself better (you don't have to be talkative to be a leader). Think instead about asking better questions, and then repeat back your best understanding of what you've just heard. Resist the temptation to think about what you want to say in response when carrying on a conversation. You'll be amazed at how much you learn, and how much better you understand people you thought you understood before. People rightly see leaders as those who understand them, or who make the effort to try to understand them. Only once you've listened will you have earned the right to speak your own point of view, based on a more complete understanding of other people and the circumstances around them. That's what makes a person an effective leader. By setting a tone of listening, others will follow suit.

Between Two Positions Always Lies a Third Option

Leaders know that dilemmas that come pre-packaged as "either-or" propositions are usually preset for failure. There is always at least one other way to view a situation, either by expanding the issue, finding a third alternative or creating a negotiated compromise. There are certainly times not to compromise, but even that decision should only come after a creative examination of many possible approaches has been completed. But what makes leaders effective is their ability to generate those options, either through imagination or consultation, before making any final decisions. While most people get trapped into defining conflicts as either/or, win/lose propositions, they end up following those who prove they can craft better solutions, creating value and advantage for all involved.

Laughter Cures

You gotta laugh. You just gotta! Life presents too much that is just fun and funny, even absurd. That's the beauty of it. If you keep that attitude about you, and nurture it, then you add the power, not only of avoiding negativity, but of adding joy and positivity to your life, and to the lives of others. Laughter is even more infectious than negativity, and at least as powerful a force for health. If the laughter comes at no one's expense, but comes rather from a shared sense of the beauty and absurdity that we see all around us (especially in ourselves!), then people can be drawn to you, and your playfulness will catch on.

Do Great Work, Have Fun and Lend a Hand Along the Way

Good work is, well, good. Great work is inherently rewarding. Do it with fun and style, and you are not a prisoner of your labor, but rather a master of your craft. If you help others along the way, either by teaching them or just by setting them up for their own success, then both life and work acquire greater meaning. None of us live forever, and we should all leave a little something behind for the good. This "rule" is one of my favorites; it's one worth repeating and spreading around.

In the End, We Are All More or Less Human

. . . And that's a good thing. We are imperfect. We have bad moods and bad moments. We make mistakes; we have parts of our character that may be less than forever admirable. That just makes us human. Keeping this in mind helps us refrain from taking ourselves too seriously when we succeed or when we fail, and it also gives us some humility and perspective through which to understand the inescapable frailties of others - especially when they fail to see the wisdom of our obviously superior points of view (wink wink, nudge nudge)! In the end, the pursuit of near-perfection is more important than its achievement, even if it is good to be competitive and dedicated to excellence in order to bring out the best in ourselves and others.

Copyright © 2003 A. J. Schuler, Psy. D.

Permission is granted to copy article as long as the following information is included:

Dr. A. J. Schuler is an expert in leadership and organizational change.

To find out more about his programs and services, visit www.SchulerSolutions.com or call (703) 370-6545.

Corruption is and will be a part of Thailand. To totally eradicate corruption may result in more backlashes than benefits. I cannot visualize a corruption-free Thailand, but I can visualize chaos of some sort in the economy if corruption is cleaned out in one fell swoop. JMO.  :o

Do you imagine that chaos to be akin to the chaos following the economic collapse nearly a decade ago brought on by corruption in the banking system?

It is not that I disagree. I think that if corruption was not tolerated and those involved threatened with prison then many, if not most, of the major players would leave for their homes abroad where they have long moved their profits not needed to pay for luxuries and mia noi expenses. But like the chaos that followd the last devaluation of the baat, the majority of the Thai people were little impacted. They were poor before the devaluation and they are still poor.

I cannot imagine a corruption-free any-country, but it tends to be more discreet in so-called developed nations. Have a close look at politicians, industry and land-owners in your own country!

You got that right. In mah Ahmerica, corruption is handled by corporate lawyers, creative accountants, investment bankers, lobbyists, and Congressional staff. This cabal working together creates a very nice landscape of smoke and mirrors that makes the transference of public funds into specific pockets look nice and legal.

A good, admittedly simplfied, example is Mr. Eisner of the Disney Corporation going to Congress crying his crocodile tears about copyright extensions for Disney cartoon characters, including many who were based upon earlier writer's stories. The next thing you know Congress puts on the knee pads for Disney and the other corporations that join in for the mutually advantageous legislation that the corporate lawyers have written and handed to their lobbyists, who then influence the elected congressional representatives, and voila, copyright laws are changed and doubled in length to extend out many more decades, all without any real public debate or awareness.

If they had been colonised things would have been so different.

You mean like Philipines, India and Malaysia? :D:D

Or maybe the colonising force could have just wiped out the locals and taken over, like Australia.

If only........ :o:D:D

I know you meant to say "like Great Britain did in Australia" steve. I just wanted to clarify that one mate.

Corruption poll: Thais rate government low (Web exclusive)

Thais believe the current government has increased corruption, done little if anything to fight graft, and paying bribes continues to be a major family concern, according to a new poll.

German-based Transparency International, whose polls and indexes of corruption have become a world standard over recent years, said its newest Global Corruption Barometer 2005 released early today, shows troublesome trends.

A whopping 74% of Thais believe the Thaksin administration has done little or nothing to help reduce corruption. But get this: An actual majority, 51% of Thais think the Thaksin government has increased the amount of corruption in the country _ 39% think corruption has got MUCH worse since Mr Thaksin became prime minister.Why is this not surprising at all.

The poll was conducted by Gallup International professionals. It supposedly included random ages, education, household income, education, employment, and religion, but was heavily weighted on urban dwellers.

Between 5% and 10% of Thais said they or a household member had paid a bribe during the past year. In national terms, that works out to a minimum of 3 million bribes - more than 6 million bribes at the top end.Who knows, at some point the receiver of these bribes may eventually own their very own business empire. Who said bribe taking is so bad?

More than 50% of Thais told the poll corruption affects political life in the country to a large extent.

And expectations of the Thaksin government now are low. Some 57% of Thais think corruption will remain at current levels or grow worse. Fewer than 20% believe Mr Thaksin will make a strong effort to reduce corruption in the next few years.It has taken over 5-years to relaize this? Better late than never.

Business gets no respect in the Thai section of the poll. On a scale of 0-to-4, where 4 is maximum corruption, Thais rate their government at 3.2. But they rate business at 3.3 - even more corrupt than government. You mean there is a difference between government and business in the LOS?

One of the biggest surprises, though, was how Thais rated their family lives - lower than most of the world, in fact. Thais gave a rating of just 2.8 to how corruption affects their own families. There were lower ratings; the Philippines had 3.5, but Thailand was in the bottom quarter of the world.

(Americans rated their own country around the middle of the pack: 3.2 for government, 3.0 for business and 2.2 for family. Finland was No 1 [2.6, 2.4, 1.3] while the Philippines brought up the bottom - 3.6 for government, 3.5 for business and 3.5 for family.)

The Transparency website is (http://www.transparency.org)

For a copy of the Global Barometer, paste this link into your web browser or download manager:

http://www.transparency.org/content/downlo...ull_report).pdf

Source: Corruption Poll

johpa,

Very well said.

And I guess we don't need to mention the AOL insider filings.

Corruption?

Is it a coincidence that the annual US - Thai "joint" [uh oh] "military exercise" is called Cobra Gold?

Seems like the deal is done. Burma et al does the speed and the CIA does the opium. Another amazing coincidence? A while back, almost on the same day that 'the coalition' was honking it's horn about the success of eradication, another report was issued on the 'bumper crop' in Afganistan.

:0)

I won't see the day corruption is ended here in Thailand - The sun will have burned out by then!

It's ingrained in their culture as standard business practice, with little thought given as to it being right or wrong.

Those that are not corrupt just aren't in a position to be.

hi'

I read all of it ...

sounds like some Thais are awake now, they realised that they have been fooled by what they hoped to be someone rich and honnest .. right the opposite, rich but my wife told me that she or her mother never saw such an arrogant leader and they wish him out, but not only him, his party also!

Thais don't love Thais only ...

toxin forgot this :o

let's watch the way down of a dictator :D

does he have a house in swiss already?

francois

I am sorry to hear so many people think that corruption can't be tackled. I think it can and will, but it takes a rather large middle class that works hard and doesn't like seeing their hard-earned money being misused. Most developed countries have a long history of some type of corruption, once there was either upward mobility (or people very unhappy with downard mobility--and hunger), they change it.

Thailand probably will as well, because they can't really get ahead unless they do and inspite of what people think, the country isn't as poor as it was 10 years ago. There are more motorcycles, cars, pickups, AC's etc. in the villages as well. Not to mention TV's, stereo's.

They aren't dirt poor any more and they don't work from sun up to sun down. They do watch TV and the news and there are things they really don't like.

This is the beginning of the end of corruption--unless someone can put them back in their place and control the media.

Thailand probably will as well, because they can't really get ahead unless they do and inspite of what people think, the country isn't as poor as it was 10 years ago.  There are more motorcycles, cars, pickups, AC's etc. in the villages as well.  Not to mention TV's, stereo's.

Most of it obtained on C R E D I T!

Thailand probably will as well, because they can't really get ahead unless they do and inspite of what people think, the country isn't as poor as it was 10 years ago.  There are more motorcycles, cars, pickups, AC's etc. in the villages as well.  Not to mention TV's, stereo's.

Most of it obtained on C R E D I T!

The level of personal debt is rising very fast indeed, if/when 1997 repeats itself it will be a whole lot worse for the people. I've read that back then the crash didn't affect the ordinary folk too much, next time it will.