Australian Tourist Visa Application

The immigration website is confusing. Does anyone know what visa number an American would apply under for a 12month visitor visa? Married to Australian with Australian children and must be for 12 month stay only, not 3 or 6 months. No plan for work just tourist/visiting family

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/600-

• 1 month later...

How to lodge the application (personally … without assistance).

Who is VSF (Thailand) Ltd?

Quoting:-

VFS (Thailand) Ltd currently has an agreement with the Australian Embassy Bangkok to provide Australian visa application services in Thailand. Applicants can lodge their visa application with VFS in person at the Australian Visa Application Centre in Bangkok or at their nearest any of the six GDA courier centres selected by VFS across Thailand.

http://www.vfs-au.net/

The Australian Visa Application Centre also provides a 24-hour facility for you to track your Visa application.

Visa applications may also be lodged at the Australian Embassy Bangkok by appointment only. (My highlighting)

www.thailand.embassy.gov.au

With Assistance …

Or you can use a Visa Agent, maybe one of this Forums sponsors who will assist you, for a fee presumably, with your application. If you choose this path, read one of the Forums pinned topics … http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/321466-visa-agents/

Are there other methods I haven’t mentioned? … input please.

Hello all,

Applying for a Oz tourist visa is 100% online now, register a immi account for your girlfriend on the oz embassy website apply online for the visa you want and scan necessary documents (bank statements, passport photo page, invitation letter, all stamps in passport as you would with a normal application) and submit the application, don't have to go to VFS in Bangkok all done by a stroke of a keyboard excellent service, go to the Oz embassy Bangkok's website to find out how.

How to lodge the application (personally … without assistance).

Who is VSF (Thailand) Ltd?

VFS (Thailand) Ltd currently has an agreement with the Australian Embassy Bangkok to provide Australian visa application services in Thailand. Applicants can lodge their visa application with VFS in person at the Australian Visa Application Centre in Bangkok or at their nearest any of the six GDA courier centres selected by VFS across Thailand.

http://www.vfs-au.net/

The Australian Visa Application Centre also provides a 24-hour facility for you to track your Visa application.

Visa applications may also be lodged at the Australian Embassy Bangkok by appointment only. (My highlighting)

www.thailand.embassy.gov.au

With Assistance …

Or you can use a Visa Agent, maybe one of this Forums sponsors who will assist you, for a fee presumably, with your application. If you choose this path, read one of the Forums pinned topics … http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/321466-visa-agents/

Are there other methods I haven’t mentioned? … input please.

Hello all,

Applying for a Oz tourist visa is 100% online now, register a immi account for your girlfriend on the oz embassy website apply online for the visa you want and scan necessary documents (bank statements, passport photo page, invitation letter, all stamps in passport as you would with a normal application) and submit the application, don't have to go to VFS in Bangkok all done by a stroke of a keyboard excellent service, go to the Oz embassy Bangkok's website to find out how.

@rodpav - you were correct but as of the 3rd May Australia now collects Biometric information - 10 fingerprints and a digital photo which must be collected in person at the VFS office in Bangkok or Chiang Mai.

There is no way around this. It does not effect applications lodged before this date.

You are correct that people can lodge online however they will just need to make a trip to VFS to complete the application.

• Like 1

You can now apply online via a "immi account" to apply for your GF and use your email address for any communication by Immigration. Yes you would need to have documentation certified and can scan and upload to the online immi account. A lot more efficient and you can track the application

You can't applying online via a "immi account" for a Tourist visa (sub class 600) as Thailand isn't a eligible country.

Supplying a scanned copy of a certified document would make the document no longer a certified copy, It would just be a copy of a copy of a certified document.

Hello all just to correct the above email.

You can apply for a tourist visa 100% online.

As stated above she had registered an immi account with the Oz embassy in BKK, filled in all the necessary pages online scanned everything that's required as you normally would doing it manually with VFS had absolutely nothing certified or signed and submitted the application online, got an email about 3 weeks after with a 12 month multiple entry visa grant.

This process is fantastic no need to speak with anyone, no need to go to BKK all done by internet, bloody excellent.

You can now apply online via a "immi account" to apply for your GF and use your email address for any communication by Immigration. Yes you would need to have documentation certified and can scan and upload to the online immi account. A lot more efficient and you can track the application

You can't applying online via a "immi account" for a Tourist visa (sub class 600) as Thailand isn't a eligible country.

Supplying a scanned copy of a certified document would make the document no longer a certified copy, It would just be a copy of a copy of a certified document.

Hello all just to correct the above email.

You can apply for a tourist visa 100% online.

As stated above she had registered an immi account with the Oz embassy in BKK, filled in all the necessary pages online scanned everything that's required as you normally would doing it manually with VFS had absolutely nothing certified or signed and submitted the application online, got an email about 3 weeks after with a 12 month multiple entry visa grant.

This process is fantastic no need to speak with anyone, no need to go to BKK all done by internet, bloody excellent.

Sorry i read in an email as of the 3 may there are photos and fingerprints needed to be submitted, this wasn't the case 5 mths ago but may have changed.

• 2 weeks later...

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, our government has just closed the Chiang Mai consulate.

Change Summary:
The Australian Consulate in Chiang Mai is closed until further notice. For passport and consular services, please contact the Australian Embassy in Bangkok (see Where to get help). This advice also contains information about commercial surrogacy, which is illegal in Thailand (see Laws). The level of advice has not changed. We continue to advise Australians to exercise a high degree of caution in Thailand. Higher levels apply in some parts of the country.

Give the minister an email if you think this matters.

[email protected]

• 1 month later...

Can someone please clarify this certification of documents process for me. If I arrive at the VFS with originals and copies will this suffice or do I have to get the copies certified prior to visiting the VFS office?

Who can actually certify copies of documents here in Thailand if I need to get done before?

• 2 weeks later...

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, our government has just closed the Chiang Mai consulate.

Change Summary:

The Australian Consulate in Chiang Mai is closed until further notice. For passport and consular services, please contact the Australian Embassy in Bangkok (see Where to get help). This advice also contains information about commercial surrogacy, which is illegal in Thailand (see Laws). The level of advice has not changed. We continue to advise Australians to exercise a high degree of caution in Thailand. Higher levels apply in some parts of the country.

[email protected]

One question, how people can get to Embassy in Bangkok? Most of them don't, because of the long distance, in conclusion we have to wait, till they open it up again.

Change Summary:

[email protected]

One question, how people can get to Embassy in Bangkok? Most of them don't, because of the long distance, in conclusion we have to wait, till they open it up again.

Do an online application instead (as per post #334). I did one for my wife in Jan15 and we received the visa approval within 24 hours (she has visited Aust many times over 15 years so that perhaps made the approval easier).

Can someone please clarify this certification of documents process for me. If I arrive at the VFS with originals and copies will this suffice or do I have to get the copies certified prior to visiting the VFS office?

Who can actually certify copies of documents here in Thailand if I need to get done before?

Hi PatongPhil

I am an Australian lawyer and Registered Migration Agent with an office in Phuket and Bangkok (opening in the Trendy Building), and we can certify for you.

Just contact me beforehand to arrange which office you want to connect with.

Best wishes

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I'm after some information. Me (Maltese) and my wife (Thai) wish to go for a month's holiday to Australia at the end of August. Main reason is to visit my wife's sister and family in Perth. We also would travel to Sydney to see some friends there.  My visa is no problem as I qualify for an e visa.  My wife needs a visitor visa 600.

last November we have already been to Australia basically for the same reasons and my wife's application was accepted first time round. We had an invitation letter from her sister and husband and copies of their ID cards, photos etc. Will we need these documents again this time round?  I will be fully supporting my wife financially as she's a housewife so do we really need all her sisters documents?? 

Also my wife's bank book hasn't been used since last year as I'm the sole working partner and we use all my accounts for everything. Will this be a problem?

Last time we applied by post but vfs told me we have to go in person for my wife's biometrics so I want to go to Bangkok asap and get the application filed because we life on Samui.

if I take these documents will they be enough?

1419 application form

657 migration assistance form as an exempt person

2 photos (wife)

passport

letter from me stating I support her financially fully

marriage certificate

my work contract

last 6 month payslips

copy of my bankbook

house rental contract

car motorbike ownership papers

have I covered everything? If my sister in law's letter etc are not needed we could fly to Bangkok tomorrow.  Otherwise I have to wait a week or so until the papers arrive by mail from Australia and I worry timeframe for visa issued will be tight.

sorry for the winded post, any input is much appreciated

On 1 July 2016 at 10:03 AM, patongphil said:

Well we got,them done at the time of lodgement. 50 baht a page so pretty good considering the charges demanded by others. ( The Aus Consulate in Phuket wants 710 baht per page)

Lodged immigration papers on the 27th and received email from contact officer that it was a legitimate application on the 28th. Now the clock is ticking!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I am in Aus and about to attempt to get a visitor visa for my GF who is currently in Patong, looking at all the above it looks like I can create my own immi account and do all the application on her behalf all from my home, can anyone confirm if that is correct?

Also there is a comment above regarding bio metric data needing to be recorded, as we will be in Chiang Mai shortly on holiday does anyone know if the bio metric data can be submitted while we are in Chiang Mai and possibly before we have actually submitted the VISA application?

Any other pointers on the application?

TIA

53 minutes ago, MIckw said:

I am in Aus and about to attempt to get a visitor visa for my GF who is currently in Patong, looking at all the above it looks like I can create my own immi account and do all the application on her behalf all from my home, can anyone confirm if that is correct?

Also there is a comment above regarding bio metric data needing to be recorded, as we will be in Chiang Mai shortly on holiday does anyone know if the bio metric data can be submitted while we are in Chiang Mai and possibly before we have actually submitted the VISA application?

Any other pointers on the application?

TIA

Below is the info for applying for a tourist visa in Chiang Mai. You will need to provide a compelling reason for GF to return to Thailand, ideally with some pay slips, letter from employer.

https://www.border.gov.au/about/contact/offices-locations/thailand

You can apply online for GF, but check out doco requirements, probably best applying in Thailand with her in only known her for a short time.

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/600-/Visitor-visa-(subclass-600)-Tourist-Stream-document-checklist

I understand current waiting time for visa application confirmation is around one week, but best to call Chiang Mai & confirm

• Like 1

4 hours ago, simple1 said:

Below is the info for applying for a tourist visa in Chiang Mai. You will need to provide a compelling reason for GF to return to Thailand, ideally with some pay slips, letter from employer.

https://www.border.gov.au/about/contact/offices-locations/thailand

You can apply online for GF, but check out doco requirements, probably best applying in Thailand with her in only known her for a short time.

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/600-/Visitor-visa-(subclass-600)-Tourist-Stream-document-checklist

I understand current waiting time for visa application confirmation is around one week, but best to call Chiang Mai & confirm

Thanks for the quick reply, sounds like you recommend the personal approach and drop it in rather then online.

As for the compelling reason to return, was just planning on a letter from her current employer and supplying evidence that she owns her own house already in Thailand, hopefully that will be enough.

9 hours ago, MIckw said:

Thanks for the quick reply, sounds like you recommend the personal approach and drop it in rather then online.

As for the compelling reason to return, was just planning on a letter from her current employer and supplying evidence that she owns her own house already in Thailand, hopefully that will be enough.

Yep, apply in Chiang Mai, lot easier to put your case and handle any questions.

Sounds good, I would think employer letter confirming leave entitlement and length of time for holiday more compelling than owning a house.

• 5 weeks later...

Regarding Online Applications, my wife just received notification of approval for a 12 month multiple entry visitor visa today. She had applied on Friday afternoon (16/9) submitted the biometrics the next Monday, and then finally received the approval notification today. So all-in it was about 10 days for this application, compared to last year (prior to implementation of the biometric identifiers) when it was approved within a couple of days. Apparently Sept/Oct is a seasonal peak for visa applications at the Australian Embassy so I guess that 10 days turnaround time was okay, although this was the longest it has ever taken for her visa approval during the last 15 years. 

• Like 1

PatongPhil,

It's hard to say, but if you submit the Online Application for your wife's visitor visa, within a few minutes she will receive an email notification of receipt of the application and more than likely a request to visit VFS to submit the biometric identifiers. Since your wife's immigration application would have a different file number when compared with her visitor visa application, I think it's quite likely she will need to submit biometric identifiers again separately for the visitor visa.

Edited by mark5335

• 2 weeks later...
On 27 September 2016 at 5:42 PM, mark5335 said:

PatongPhil,

It's hard to say, but if you submit the Online Application for your wife's visitor visa, within a few minutes she will receive an email notification of receipt of the application and more than likely a request to visit VFS to submit the biometric identifiers. Since your wife's immigration application would have a different file number when compared with her visitor visa application, I think it's quite likely she will need to submit biometric identifiers again separately for the visitor visa.

Just an update on this. I sent an email to VFS asking them and the reply was that each and every application requires biometrics to be done regardless of previous applications, history etc. so it is back to Bangkok for us again. 

I wonder if they thought this through?

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/9/2016 at 11:31 AM, patongphil said:

Just an update on this. I sent an email to VFS asking them and the reply was that each and every application requires biometrics to be done regardless of previous applications, history etc. so it is back to Bangkok for us again. 

I wonder if they thought this through?

I wonder why they dont collect these bio metric on arrival in Australia like other countries like Japan and Singapore. I can only assume the reason why they do it before hand is to cross reference the scans to check if you have a dodgy background. Either that or it was simply someone within the relevant department that bought up the idea just so that they have something to do. Typical office worker where one would go "oh we should do it this way" to justify their job.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/27/2016 at 8:42 PM, mark5335 said:

PatongPhil,

A Thai friend plans on applying online but works up-country (near Sisaket). Do you know if VFS will tell him when he has to attend for biometrics, or give him alternative times for an appointment, or just expect him to turn up and wait? As he's a bank employee he will need to arrange to take the time off. Is there a time limit within which he has to attend before his visa application lapses? As his English is limited, as I recall all the VFS staff are Thai, so he shouldn't have any issues about making himself understood?

Edited by SaintLouisBlues

On 27/11/2016 at 6:15 AM, SaintLouisBlues said:

A Thai friend plans on applying online but works up-country (near Sisaket). Do you know if VFS will tell him when he has to attend for biometrics, or give him alternative times for an appointment, or just expect him to turn up and wait? As he's a bank employee he will need to arrange to take the time off. Is there a time limit within which he has to attend before his visa application lapses? As his English is limited, as I recall all the VFS staff are Thai, so he shouldn't have any issues about making himself understood?

Once he receives the email from Immigration requesting him to provide biometric identifiers he will have 2 weeks to get it done. The VFS staff are Thai so no lingo issues for him, and he can just attend the VFS office without scheduling an appointment.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm applying for another visitor 600 visa for my girlfriend, I've never had any trouble with the last couple of applications. This time they are asking me for evidence of personal assets, the trouble is she doesn't have any assets. Has anyone been asked this before, and what information did you send them?  

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2017 at 7:38 PM, AussieFarmer said:

I'm applying for another visitor 600 visa for my girlfriend, I've never had any trouble with the last couple of applications. This time they are asking me for evidence of personal assets, the trouble is she doesn't have any assets. Has anyone been asked this before, and what information did you send them?  

Well just tell them that, nothing wrong with the truth. 

There is no requirement to have personal assets, although that helps tick of the reason to return box in processing.

The 3 main issues they look for in a normal application, valid reason for travel, money to support them while in the country and a reason to return at the end of the visa.

It’s pretty simple, address these issues however you can and you shouldn't have much of an issue.

Given she has already travelled and complied with other visa, then given you address the 3 main issues then there shouldn't much of an issue getting another unless they have too many in short period. (This affects reason 1)

Edited by Surin13

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks!,

I'm currently applying for a tourist/visitor visa online for my thai gf. This is her first application and so far the online application has been pretty straight forward and I'm now up to the section where I have to attach the required supporting documents.

list of required attachments are as followed:
- Travel Document

- Travel History, evidence of
- Financial capacity 

- Invitation, evidence of letter/statement - sponser 

- Business ownership

- Assets - Personal evidence of 
- Birth or Age, Evidence of

- Form 956A appointment of authorised recipient 

my question is, where/or at what point do I add the other supporting documents that will help her application? such as proof of she has kids, proof of our long term relationship (photo's, facebook communication) etc etc..

cheers

20 hours ago, BangPaInn said:

Hi folks!,

I'm currently applying for a tourist/visitor visa online for my thai gf. This is her first application and so far the online application has been pretty straight forward and I'm now up to the section where I have to attach the required supporting documents.

- Travel Document

- Financial capacity 

- Business ownership

my question is, where/or at what point do I add the other supporting documents that will help her application? such as proof of she has kids, proof of our long term relationship (photo's, facebook communication) etc etc..

cheers

Here is a guide on how  to attach documents to a visa application via the ImmiAccount https://www.border.gov.au/help-text/online-account/Documents/attach_documents.pdf

Just select which category best fits the supporting document you are submitting.

There is also a 60 document limit, and 5MB limit per document. 

On 5/15/2017 at 7:38 PM, AussieFarmer said:

On 6/15/2017 at 8:29 PM, BangPaInn said:

Hi folks!,

- Travel Document

- Financial capacity 

- Business ownership

cheers

Wow 2 posters in a row that lack the common decency to  say thanks for someone answering their questions. 

They can't even muster a like for answering their questions, no wonder the the people with experience and knowledge don't bother any more like the OP David48.

The behavior of posters like this is un-Australian and speaks volumes of sort of people they are, No wonder they have issues with Australian Immigration and applying for visa's 

1 hour ago, Surin13 said:

Wow 2 posters in a row that lack the common decency to  say thanks for someone answering their questions. 

They can't even muster a like for answering their questions, no wonder the the people with experience and knowledge don't bother any more like the OP David48.

The behavior of posters like this is un-Australian and speaks volumes of sort of people they are, No wonder they have issues with Australian Immigration and applying for visa's 

David48 was banned. Understand your criticism, though somewhat over the top.