Australian Tourist Visa Application

My young children have their Australian citizenship by descent now.

They have thai passports but not Australian passports

Do they still have to apply for a tourist visa if I take them to Australia for a holiday?

This is going to sound silly but they can not apply for a visa because they are Australian, so you should get them their passports ASAP.

They can do emergency applications if you need them very quickly, otherwise the normal passport does not take too long.

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do they still have to apply for a tourist visa if I take them to Australia for a holiday?

This is going to sound silly but they can not apply for a visa because they are Australian, so you should get them their passports ASAP.

They can do emergency applications if you need them very quickly, otherwise the normal passport does not take too long.

I]It does sound silly but

The question still is

can they travel to Australia using their thai passports as Australian citizens without an Australian passport and have no problems with immigration.

The question still is

can they travel to Australia using their thai passports as Australian citizens without an Australian passport and have no problems with immigration.

No they can not, they must get the Australian passport. As is said they can not apply for a Thai visa, and they will not be able to enter Australia on a Thai passport without a visa.

The question still is

No they can not, they must get the Australian passport. As is said they can not apply for a Thai visa, and they will not be able to enter Australia on a Thai passport without a visa.

thanks for that.

I will get them done soon

Just be aware that it is actually illegal to give advice that may affect the outcome of a visa application unless you are an agent or it is part of your normal course of employment.

I dont know if anyone has ever been charged with this or not. Giving assistance such as helping a friend fill out forms etc... is fine.

There is a warning on DIAC's website in regards to this.

Paid advice.

Open public forums and the advice of friends is legal.

Its illegal only when you charge and your not MARA registered.

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone help with some advice please.

My girlfriend is in the process of applying for a tourist visa to visit Australia for three weeks. She is employed and has been with the same company for fourteen years. She has two bank accounts. One into which her salary is deposited and one with another bank containing her limited savings. I am supporting her application and will support her financially during her visit.

She has been talking to her friend at work who has also visited Australia and has told my girlfriend that she must have a sum of money in her savings account. She is therefore, insisting that I make a one off transfer of funds into her bank account.

From what I have read, It seems this is unnecessary. Should I choose to do so and it would be only 30,000 Baht, should I mention this in my letter of support or not?

Should she provide copies of both both bank books or just the one savings account passbook?

Thanks for any help.

Can anyone help with some advice please.

My girlfriend is in the process of applying for a tourist visa to visit Australia for three weeks. She is employed and has been with the same company for fourteen years. She has two bank accounts. One into which her salary is deposited and one with another bank containing her limited savings. I am supporting her application and will support her financially during her visit.

She has been talking to her friend at work who has also visited Australia and has told my girlfriend that she must have a sum of money in her savings account. She is therefore, insisting that I make a one off transfer of funds into her bank account.

From what I have read, It seems this is unnecessary. Should I choose to do so and it would be only 30,000 Baht, should I mention this in my letter of support or not?

Should she provide copies of both both bank books or just the one savings account passbook?

Thanks for any help.

Hi Samyan

You are correct.

Given your girlfriends stable employment history she should not have any problems getting a visa. She should show both bank accounts, as this will show her employment history and some financial capacity.

The important issue for you is that as you are supporting her application financially her bank balance is not important, except as supporting evidence of her employment and character.

You do not need to provide funds to her account as long as you can show sufficient funds to support her. Also sometimes if large abnormal deposits are made this can actually be a red flag, so if you do forever reason add funds then provide evidence of that in the application. In general it is always better to transfer money and keep records than provide cash as later for more substantive visas this can become critical evidence of support which could be the difference between having a visa approved or not.

Good luck and hope you both have a lot of fun in Australia!

Hi AustralianVisa,

Thanks for your quick reply and advice. The fact that a one off deposit may raise a red flag is my thought exactly and I do not want to arouse any suspicions.

There never has been a need to provide her with funds, but if the need arises, yes a bank transfer would help to provide evidence of an ongoing relationship

I am undecided as to whether to apply electronically or via VFS.Global. I have a lot of relationship supporting documents such as hotel and apartment receipts over the past three years I have known her. These would all have to be scanned if applying electronically. If I choose to apply through VFS.Global,I presume all documents will be returned?

Hi AustralianVisa,

Thanks for your quick reply and advice. The fact that a one off deposit may raise a red flag is my thought exactly and I do not want to arouse any suspicions.

There never has been a need to provide her with funds, but if the need arises, yes a bank transfer would help to provide evidence of an ongoing relationship

I am undecided as to whether to apply electronically or via VFS.Global. I have a lot of relationship supporting documents such as hotel and apartment receipts over the past three years I have known her. These would all have to be scanned if applying electronically. If I choose to apply through VFS.Global,I presume all documents will be returned?

Hi Samyan

That is up to you, it becomes a question of how quickly you want the visa. However, at the moment the processing times are both within the 10 day mark so I would save the extra fees and do it online. It is not like VFS actually check the quality of your application, just that they have the documents to tick of their check list.

Personally I prefer the Online Immi account as you can always update/amend and see what is happening. You can also scan all of the same document types in one file to make it easier and quicker for yourself if that was a concern.

VFS do not always return the documents, so I would make sure you have a scanned/photocopy anyway.

Good luck whichever way you go.

Hello again AustralianVisa,

I have prepared a letter of support to accompany my girlfriend's application. However, I have read on some websites that a statutory declaration rather than a letter would carry more weight.

As I can supply copies of documents as evidence of my support, I feel that a statutory declaration is unnecessary. What is your view on this?

Thank you.

I have prepared a letter of support to accompany my girlfriend's application. However, I have read on some websites that a statutory declaration rather than a letter would carry more weight.

As I can supply copies of documents as evidence of my support, I feel that a statutory declaration is unnecessary. What is your view on this?

Thank you.

Hi Samyan

The Stat Dec in theory should hold more weight, but I have seen them ignored so it depends how much trouble it is to get one organised for you and often people charge a lot for them. Also if you have the supporting evidence then that is more relevant and probative anyway.

If you need one done swing by our office and happy to quickly do for you for no charge. Can do in either Bangkok or Phuket if that is near you, just call me first.

Thank you.

Hi Samyan

The Stat Dec in theory should hold more weight, but I have seen them ignored so it depends how much trouble it is to get one organised for you and often people charge a lot for them. Also if you have the supporting evidence then that is more relevant and probative anyway.

If you need one done swing by our office and happy to quickly do for you for no charge. Can do in either Bangkok or Phuket if that is near you, just call me first.

Thank you for your kind offer.

If you are happy to do this, then I have nothing to lose.

I have prepared the Stat Dec. Will contact you for arrangements to take the printed copy to your Bangkok office.

My Girlfriend has been given a 12 month multiple entry visa, she will be coming to Australia on the 27 March during her time here we will be registering our relationship. When she leaves the country again in June we will be applying for a 301 visa.

I am just concerned about a few things, I have two concerns with the 12 months in 18 months rule, in the past 18 months she has already accumulated 6 months stay (27/3/15 to 23/6/15 and 13/9/15 to 10/12/15), if she comes and goes as she pleases during the validity of her visa will she be denied entry once she has accumulated 12 months stay, or is this only for new visa applications? Also is this 12 months in 18 rule apply to all visas or just tourist visas?

I am also concerned with, "You and anyone included in your application must be outside Australia when the application is lodged and also when the visa is decided." if she is still in the country when the visa is decided will it immediately be denied? or will the decision be postponed until she is outside the country?

Anyone know the current processing time for a tourist visa?

Submitted via VFS now 16 days ago and that day a sms saying it is off to the powers to be.

Nothing since, meant to come by courier, any idea how long these days?

Up to one month if physically lodged. However, you should be able to track the application visa progress.

http://www.vfsglobal.com/Australia/Thailand//track_application_after.html

https://www.border.gov.au/about/access-accountability/service-standards/visitor-visa-processing-times

Anyone know the current processing time for a tourist visa?

Submitted via VFS now 16 days ago and that day a sms saying it is off to the powers to be.

Nothing since, meant to come by courier, any idea how long these days?

Up to one month if physically lodged. However, you should be able to track the application visa progress.

http://www.vfsglobal.com/Australia/Thailand//track_application_after.html

https://www.border.gov.au/about/access-accountability/service-standards/visitor-visa-processing-times

Currently this is a very busy time for them as people prepare for the Songkran holiday break.

Normally the desired service standard with VFS they say 10 days, and all others 30 days, so at the moment you can expect to be at the limits.

My Girlfriend has been given a 12 month multiple entry visa, she will be coming to Australia on the 27 March during her time here we will be registering our relationship. When she leaves the country again in June we will be applying for a 301 visa.

I am just concerned about a few things, I have two concerns with the 12 months in 18 months rule, in the past 18 months she has already accumulated 6 months stay (27/3/15 to 23/6/15 and 13/9/15 to 10/12/15), if she comes and goes as she pleases during the validity of her visa will she be denied entry once she has accumulated 12 months stay, or is this only for new visa applications? Also is this 12 months in 18 rule apply to all visas or just tourist visas?

I am also concerned with, "You and anyone included in your application must be outside Australia when the application is lodged and also when the visa is decided." if she is still in the country when the visa is decided will it immediately be denied? or will the decision be postponed until she is outside the country?

Hi AussieFarmer

What law are you referring to as being the 12 months in 18 rule? Or just a general rumour you have heard?

For the second question, any change in circumstances should be notified to the DIBP and this can be done by filing a Form 1022 Change in Circumstances. If you have notified them that she is in the country when they are ready to make a decision they will contact the Applicant and ask them to leave. This is generally nothing to be concerned about.

If you do not update them and a decision is made while the Applicant is onshore then you may have some serious complications to overcome so easier to just notify them. This is also relevant to things like change of address, change of passport details, marriage status etc.

Hi AussieFarmer

What law are you referring to as being the 12 months in 18 rule? Or just a general rumour you have heard?

For the second question, any change in circumstances should be notified to the DIBP and this can be done by filing a Form 1022 Change in Circumstances. If you have notified them that she is in the country when they are ready to make a decision they will contact the Applicant and ask them to leave. This is generally nothing to be concerned about.

If you do not update them and a decision is made while the Applicant is onshore then you may have some serious complications to overcome so easier to just notify them. This is also relevant to things like change of address, change of passport details, marriage status etc.

Well I suppose the the 12 in 18 months is only rumour. Can the 1022 form be done via Immiaccount?

Hi AussieFarmer

Well I suppose the the 12 in 18 months is only rumour. Can the 1022 form be done via Immiaccount?

Yes it can, under the "Update Us" option. You will not need the form then, you can just do it electronically.

Hi AussieFarmer

I think what you are referring to is the Visa Condition 8558 but that is only if it placed on the visa conditions.

Hi AussieFarmer

I think what you are referring to is the Visa Condition 8558 but that is only if it placed on the visa conditions.

This is not one of her conditions, this is good to know, thank you very much for your advice.

I submitted my Girlfriend's application for a visitor visa yesterday.

Included was a letter from her employer stating the duration of her employment (12 years) her salary and the dates of her leave.

Copy of house registration and title deeds to land she owns in her home town.

A letter of support stating the reason for her visit, a short history of our 3 year relationship, details of our itinerary including my home address and telephone number and a guarantee of financial support and the date on which we will be returning to Thailand together.

I submitted the following items.

1. A statement of my bank savings account.

2. Copies of the relevant pages of my passport containing Thai entry stamps.

4. Copy of current 3 year rental contract in joint names.

3. Copies of accommodation receipts in Bangkok and for trips away in Thailand.

4. Copy of flight itinerary and entry and departure stamps to and from Malaysia in 2015.

5. Copies of Facebook conversations at various times I have been

home to Australia. (USB stick)

6. Photographs of us together in Thailand and Malaysia.

I hope we have provided enough information to convince them that she is a genuine visitor. When I submitted the application at VFS, they initially refused to accept the USB stick containing a 25mb file of conversations stating that it may have a virus. However, after sending me away to print the file and my returning to point out the impracticalities of doing so, they finally accepted the USB stick. Whether or not they choose to look at the file is up to them.To me, it was the most practical way of presenting this amount of information.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I am 4 months pregnant, married my husband last year, and we want to go to Australia to have the baby and then stay. Well, that was the original plan before seeing the new fees and processing times.

Firstly, would being already pregnant be enough for a tourist visa to not have that no-stay clause attached?

Secondly, would going there to have the baby be a valid reason to get a tourist visa - or would they not like that?

Third - can we apply for permanent partner visa and tourist visa at the same time, and just go there to have the baby, then come back and wait for partner visa approval?

He has been to Australia 2 years ago on a tourist visa. Has anyone applied for the partner visa recently, and received it? What was the processing time? And - has anyone been knocked back for any reason? Do they tell you why? Okay - I know I have a lot of questions, I thank you in advance!

Hello, I am 4 months pregnant, married my husband last year, and we want to go to Australia to have the baby and then stay. Well, that was the original plan before seeing the new fees and processing times.

Firstly, would being already pregnant be enough for a tourist visa to not have that no-stay clause attached?

Secondly, would going there to have the baby be a valid reason to get a tourist visa - or would they not

Third - can we apply for permanent partner visa and tourist visa at the same time, and just go there to have the baby, then come back and wait for partner visa approval?

He has been to Australia 2 years ago on a tourist visa. Has anyone applied for the partner visa recently, and received it? What was the processing time? And - has anyone been knocked back for any reason? Do they tell you why? Okay - I know I have a lot of questions, I thank you in advance!

Getting a tourist visa really isn't all that difficult.The main thing you have to show is a reason for your husband to return to Thailand.Thats what they like to see,whether its for his job,or to look after other family members or whatever ,show some good reasons to return.You can apply for a partner visa then apply for a tourist visa.As for the 8503 no stay clause they put that on most visas.My wife (then girlfriend) got 3 tourist visas.the third one didnt have the clause.We rang the embassy and asked not to have it on there.We did give reason but i cant remember what it was.My wife got her partner visa a little over 1 year ago,took 8 months 2 weeks.i think it's a little longer now

My Thai stepson's girlfriend has very recently been refused a 1419 with 'insufficient funds' as the reason.

We are all very disappointed. I have done several 1419s, my wife's spouse visa and my 2 stepsons 101s without a hitch.

We intend to reapply in BKK in the next few days as my wife and younger stepson have just arrived there to take of his national service responsibilities (praying he measures under the chest req. - another story)

We would hate to have the 2nd application refused so hoping for some of the wise counsel I read here.

Is it simply a matter of dealing with the stated reason? We are happy to deposit the required funds to her account. She is a 21yo lass working in a low paid food service job in a rural area and whilst she has savings they are not enough for the 3 months that we had applied for. What would immi consider ample funds and would it be acceptable that the money was transferred from my stepsons Australian savings account or from cash my wife can deposit to her during this current visit.

In the denied application my stepson included payslips of around AUD1000pw and bank statements showing that this is almost all saved. My wife and I also included our financials which are fine. We all included our letters of invitation stating that we'd take care etc etc.

Is it true that genuine sponsorship is only available for close family members etc?

My stepson was granted a 101 visa a year or so ago as has been away from her for that time. They have been girlfriend/boyfriend for some years and if engagement or marriage is necessary then it is an option. However, it would be far preferable to obtain a 3 month 1419 tourist visa.

We are genuine.

I have tried to keep this brief so do let me know if I can provide any further info. I'm not near internet all the time so apologies in advance if I'm slow to reply.

Andrew

@Andrew55

The problem for many of these applications that get refused is often people do not fully set out the circumstances and leave a link missing to tie the whole application together. Also everything needs to be evidenced, you can not assume anything on the face of the circumstances. It can be easy to miss if people do not know what they are looking for, and often assume more knowledge or understanding than there is from the reviewer.

I deal with many visa refusals and often wonder why they were refused in the first place, but it is normally because of a simple omission or lack of supporting evidence. I have never had a follow up application refused though, so it is not something that you should be overly concerned about.

Also be careful of falling into the trap of just focusing on the refusal point, the new application must obviously re-butt that point, but also has to be a complete application on its own.

My personal view is that getting a visa is not hard if you meet the basic criteria, and the embassy staff are not there to stop people travelling or to be difficult, just to make sure applicants have met the criteria.

I have sent you a PM, happy to give you a few quick pointers to make sure you are successful next time.

Best of luck

Simon

If you only intend staying for 3 weeks and your accommodation will be provided by your friend, evidence that you have savings of €5000 will show that you have sufficient funds to pay for your expenses. You're an Israeli (which while designated as a high risk country, has a very low rate of overstaying Australian Tourist visas - in fact lower than the UK and USA), you have a good job with a letter from your employer to that effect, you have ample funds - I very much doubt if you will have any problem getting a visa or that it will take as long as 4 weeks.

The immigration website is confusing. Does anyone know what visa number an American would apply under for a 12month visitor visa? Married to Australian with Australian children and must be for 12 month stay only, not 3 or 6 months. No plan for work just tourist/visiting family

Archived