Australian Tourist Visa Application

2 hours ago, Flying Ace said:

I was just reading the Form 1149 which states that:

So I can't sponsor my fiancée, and neither can my parents?

Your girlfriend is not a "Sponsored Family Visitor". Doco requirements...

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/600-/Visitor-visa-(subclass-600)-Tourist-Stream-document-checklist

57 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Your girlfriend is not a "Sponsored Family Visitor". Doco requirements...

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/600-/Visitor-visa-(subclass-600)-Tourist-Stream-document-checklist

Thank you - it's all a bit confusing!

So she just applies for the subclass 600 and we provide evidence that we will be financing her time here, that's correct?

1 hour ago, Flying Ace said:

So she just applies for the subclass 600 and we provide evidence that we will be financing her time here, that's correct?

Just follow the doco requirements - self explanatory - if still a challenge arrange one on one meeting with VFS or if Oz call Home Affairs

http://www.vfsglobal.com/Australia/Thailand/schedule-an-appointment.html

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

Hi everyone, happy 2018!

There seems to be a lot of questions to start the new year and also there have been a number of changes and policy decisions over the last 12 months that have confused many.

I also see a lot of comments on here that range from very professional and correct (unfortunately a minority of people) to absolute rubbish and uninformed personal beliefs and misinformation that would be dangerous to rely on.

I am an Australian Registered Migration Agent and practicing lawyer based in Bangkok - I have done hundreds of applications and get weekly feedback data.

Would people find it helpful if I did a webinar for an hour or two where people could just do a Q & A session and hopefully get people the correct information they need? If there is enough interest I will schedule one.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Surin13 said:

I wouldn't call 6.5% refusal rate over the last year a substantial percentage! 

The reason aren't "grey" I have post the assessment requirements before,  your application needs to address these requirements. Did they address these requirements?

The employee is just a document receiver and has no say in the decision or process except for receiving document.  

The questions where directed to your wife as she is the applicant, not you. Unless you completed the form 956 with the application they shouldn't be discussing the application with you at all or with you present. 

Well you might consider a 6.5% refusal is for those concerned not significant but seeing its a non refundable issue many would disagree.

The reason I said "grey"is because many people have reported "issues" over time that for others have not been mentioned.

You say I shouldnt allowed to sit with my wife through the application process ? I was sitting outside and asked to join in.

Our paperwork,as usual, was completed 100% correctly meeting all reqirements except for the new requirement that my wife provide a photo copy of every page of her bank pass book ,to us that is totally unecessary as I was the sponsor.In our previous 3 applications,all successful, that was never a requirement and made no sense and a pain in the backside having to go home,a 30 km round trip, and get it

We know they are only document receivers but never believe they are all on the same page or are not new to the position

• Like 1

Have to agree with Sparkles as there are a lot of grey areas in the whole process over which we have little or no control. Many things defy logic. If the applicant is fully sponsored why should they need to show any personal funds ? What difference should it make if the applicant comes from a so called high risk area ? Each applicant should be treated on their own merits and have their application viewed as a potential tourist instead of a potential law breaker.

Sent from my SM-N915F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, xerostar said:

Each applicant should be treated on their own merits and have their application viewed as a potential tourist instead of a potential law breaker.

But isn't that this (and previous) government's method? Assume everyone is a criminal, you have to jump through a thousand hoops to prove you're not. I get that some people use the legal channel to overstay - but surely that is such a small percentage of the overall number?

11 hours ago, Flying Ace said:

The reason they gave was that Vietnam is a high risk (of overstayers) country, nothing to do with our personal circumstances as such. Whilst I don't doubt this is the case, both my fiancée and I know of several Vietnamese who have successfully been granted visitor visas for Australia. Irrespective of the agent's views, is there any other advice people who have been through a similar situation have?

Vietnam and Thailand both have about the same number of Unlawful Non-Citizens 3.6% to 3.3%.respectively and are both classed as high risk countries.

Vietnam has a slightly higher tourist refusal rate of around 12%.

Given what you say that you have been told by them, I will let you draw your own conclusions on the matter. 

A tourist visa is a pretty simple application if your circumstances are straightforward and doesn't cost that much to do by yourself. 

4 hours ago, Flying Ace said:

You are supporting not sponsoring the application, many use the incorrect terms which makes it confusing.

Yes to the other part and supply letters of invitation. 

2 hours ago, Sparkles said:

The reason I said "grey"is because many people have reported "issues" over time that for others have not been mentioned.

It's very rare for people to report issues that haven't been mentioned or are not covered already. Most issues are because people haven't full read and/or can't follow the instructions. 

You say I shouldnt allowed to sit with my wife through the application process ? I was sitting outside and asked to join in.

Not just me, it's the law.

"Australian privacy law prevents the Department from responding to enquiries from people not
authorised by the visa applicant. This includes the person providing support to the application. If
you want to authorise another person to be able to discuss your application with this office, or
receive correspondence about your application, you should indicate this by using a Form 956 or
956A which must be signed by both applicant and authorised person.
Without a Form 956 we cannot talk about your case to anyone else, including your partner
or family members."

Our paperwork,as usual, was completed 100% correctly meeting all reqirements except for the new requirement that my wife provide a photo copy of every page of her bank pass book ,to us that is totally unecessary as I was the sponsor.In our previous 3 applications,all successful, that was never a requirement and made no sense and a pain in the backside having to go home,a 30 km round trip, and get it

It's not a new requirement, its been required for many years that if you have a bank book (current) you need to provide it. 

28 minutes ago, Surin13 said:

It's very rare for people to report issues that haven't been mentioned or are not covered already. Most issues are because people haven't full read and/or can't follow the instructions. 

Not just me, it's the law.

"Australian privacy law prevents the Department from responding to enquiries from people not
authorised by the visa applicant. This includes the person providing support to the application. If
you want to authorise another person to be able to discuss your application with this office, or
receive correspondence about your application, you should indicate this by using a Form 956 or
956A which must be signed by both applicant and authorised person.
Without a Form 956 we cannot talk about your case to anyone else, including your partner
or family members."

It's not a new requirement, its been required for many years that if you have a bank book (current) you need to provide it. 

I didnt invite myself to join in the conversation ,the officer did.

My wifes savings bank book and photo copies of every page have never been asked for before in 3 successful applications.

I can only report truthfully what happened.    My only point of posting here is to prepare others for what might occur,end of

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sparkles said:

I didnt invite myself to join in the conversation ,the officer did.

I was simply providing an explanation to your stated frustration of all the questions being directed at your wife.

On 1/1/2018 at 2:54 PM, Sparkles said:

I found it quite frustrating that the employee had very little grasp of English and all questions were directed to my wife when I was the sponsor.

18 hours ago, AustralianVisa said:

I am an Australian Registered Migration Agent and practicing lawyer based in Bangkok - I have done hundreds of applications and get weekly feedback data.

Would people find it helpful if I did a webinar for an hour or two where people could just do a Q & A session and hopefully get people the correct information they need? If there is enough interest I will schedule one.

That would be great!

• 1 month later...

I haven't read all the previous posts so this may have already been mentioned. When we started down the tourist visa pathshe applied by herself but got knocked back. Second time we used the sponsor method. I also included a copy of my council rates notice, electricity bill and salary paperwork to show that I was not a homeless swaggy and could indeed support her financially. I also stated in my letter that she would have full medical coverage through BUPA whilst in Australia. I don't think what I did was 100% necessary but it certainly didn't hurt. Over the next 2 years she had 5 or 6 tourist visas with me coming to Thailand between them, so we were practically living together during that period. The only time we were apart was when we went through the prospective spouse visa - she HAD to be overseas when that was granted. 

Since that time we have married and she has just received her permanent residency approval. Not really permanent these days - only for 5 years. After that you need to have a reentry permit if you leave the country. I guess they are expecting her to gain citizenship during this period.

Sorry for the ramble but I hope some of this info helps someone.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2017 at 8:12 AM, xerostar said:

Just had a refusal to grant my TGF an Oz tourist visa.

We submitted a well prepared application at visa centre.

The reason for refusal ?

They believed my gf would

overstay because their were not enough reasons for her to return to Thailand.

It was very disappointing as she had never travelled outside Thailand and she was going to fly with me. I sent an email of complaint and they answered but simply reiterated the rules. No right of appeal and no refund.

How do you convince them ?

Read my post above. Same thing happened to us. The Oz government are really worried about both Thai and Filipina ladies not going home. After the refusal we went down the sponsor path - no problems. That was in 2012/13 so things may have changed since then.

On 1/4/2018 at 4:09 AM, Surin13 said:

Seeing that you have engaged an migration agent, it would be best to put your questions to them as they should know your circumstance in depth. If they have advised not to apply for a tourist visa then I would follow that advice. What is the reason they gave you for this?

Their advice wouldn't be about making money as they would be making money either way, the fee's you state are the application fees not the agents fees which go on top of thoses. Their primary goal is (should be) getting you a successful outcome. 

You got that right!!!!

I reckon we spent close to 20 grand on the prospective spouse visa, not including airfares (for tourist visas during this period). The paperwork involved to be successful was staggering, letters from her primary, middle,high schools and village Gamnan amongst other things. Then certified translation of everything to English - 70 bucks per A4 sheet - around 2 grand i reckon.

Having said that it was worth every cent as the agent knew everything that needed to be known.

For example :

I filled in the initial forms then the agent sat us down and went through them. My mrs always told me she had never been married although she was with her 'husband' many years ago and has two adult sons. The agent asked a couple of questions - lo and behold - she had been married at the Amphur, but because they didn't have a village ceremony she didn't consider herself married. Same with the 'Have you ever been known by any other name?' question. I wrote down 'No' - wrong again as she (like a lot of Thais) change their name arbitrarily, and the agent knew this

Sure the agent isn't cheap but is the only thing to use to be certain of a good chance of a successful application.

A friend at work has applied twice by himself and been knocked back twice - ouch - expensive. He's been married 7 years and his wife is still in Thailand.

We tried again one month later and were successful.
My GF had no recent history of formal employment but was involved with two small family businesses where there was little or no formal documentation and no official business names.
So first of all she got both businesses registered with the local authority. Then we collected all the invoice copies which were hand written on standard invoice pads with no business ID on them.
We had rubber stamps made whith her business name and stamped all invoices. She had large banners made to display outside on the street and took photos of everything. She supplied copies of bank statements that showed a lot of transactions and a modest income. That proved that she did have a reason to return to Thailand. We explained all that in the first application but they did not believe us. So providing the proof this time seems to have got us over the line. My letters of complaint to BKK and Canberra after the first unsuccesful application may (or may not) have helped.
We supplied much fewer
photos the second time.
I hope these details will help some members who are in a similar predicament when their TGF does not have a history of recent employment.

Sent from my SM-N915F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 4 weeks later...

I am doing an online application for my girlfriend. As the sponsor there is no 'Friend/boy-girlfriend' selection so I have selected 'De-facto'. But when describing me in a previous selection, there is a selection of 'Friend', which I selected. System is currently down for maintenance so can't confirm that selection page. Just hope that is OK.

My GF worked in massage before she met me and continued up until a year ago. As I now spend most of my time in Thailand, she does not work and we live in her house on her land. 

She has 2 children, 25 and 13. I will/can show plenty of funds to support her. Do I need to show some photos of us over the years? 

So, she has land and a house, children, parents, a sponsor, BUT no job to speak of and obviously this is a possible problem. She has 2 bank accounts with about 50, 000 baht and the one will show quite a bit of money going in and out from me over the years. :whistling:

Any pointers with my sponsor invitation below and general help with what I have described above will be appreciated. I will try to pad more, but am hopeless at written communication.

-------------------------------------------------------

Dear Sirs,

This is an invitation for my girlfriend N......... to visit me in Australia. N.... and I first met in Thailand when I was on holiday there in July 2013. Over the last 5 years I have traveled to Thailand 2 or 3 times a year. N... had been working as a massage therapist and stopped working in March 2017 when I started spending a lot more time in Thailand. We live at her home that she owns in M...... when I am in Thailand.

I will cover all expenses for N.....'s vist to Australia and she will stay at my apartment, ( W....., NSW, 20..), which I own outright. I have over (lots of $$$) cash in my bank account and over (lots of $$$) in my Superannuation Accounts.

I trust that the information that I have supplied meets the required criteria to sponsor her visit.

Yours ........

ATTACH.......
Rates Notice 
Bank Statement
Super Statement
Pics from 2013 to 2018

-------------------------------------------------------------

16 hours ago, rhodie said:

I am doing an online application for my girlfriend. As the sponsor there is no 'Friend/boy-girlfriend' selection so I have selected 'De-facto'. But when describing me in a previous selection, there is a selection of 'Friend', which I selected. System is currently down for maintenance so can't confirm that selection page. Just hope that is OK.

My GF worked in massage before she met me and continued up until a year ago. As I now spend most of my time in Thailand, she does not work and we live in her house on her land. 

She has 2 children, 25 and 13. I will/can show plenty of funds to support her. Do I need to show some photos of us over the years? 

So, she has land and a house, children, parents, a sponsor, BUT no job to speak of and obviously this is a possible problem. She has 2 bank accounts with about 50, 000 baht and the one will show quite a bit of money going in and out from me over the years. :whistling:

Any pointers with my sponsor invitation below and general help with what I have described above will be appreciated. I will try to pad more, but am hopeless at written communication.

Dear Sirs,

This is an invitation for my girlfriend N......... to visit me in Australia. N.... and I first met in Thailand when I was on holiday there in July 2013. Over the last 5 years I have traveled to Thailand 2 or 3 times a year. N... had been working as a massage therapist and stopped working in March 2017 when I started spending a lot more time in Thailand. We live at her home that she owns in M...... when I am in Thailand.

I will cover all expenses for N.....'s vist to Australia and she will stay at my apartment, ( W....., NSW, 20..), which I own outright. I have over (lots of $$$) cash in my bank account and over (lots of $$$) in my Superannuation Accounts.

I trust that the information that I have supplied meets the required criteria to sponsor her visit.

Yours ........

ATTACH.......
Rates Notice 
Bank Statement
Super Statement
Pics from 2013 to 2018

One of the biggest things Immigration look for is a reason to return back to Thailand.

How long id the visit for?

You could tell them how long you reside in Thailand each year.

Attaching dated pictures would obviously help the application.

I would delete the sentence about her working as a massage therapist, It's not relevant.

She's not working now so I wouldn't mention it. Just say that you're supporting her.

I wouldn't bother with your superannuation statement either.

It's only for a visitor visa.

If you're hopeless at paperwork, you could always engage an agent.

Having said that, a visitor application isn't hard and the vast majority succeed.

Good luck.

Edited by Will27
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, rhodie said:

Dear Sirs,

Yours ........

ATTACH.......
Rates Notice 
Bank Statement
Super Statement
Pics from 2013 to 2018

Its not so much about showing your financial status, a simple bank statement etc will cover that, home ownership and super etc is irrelevant. Its about showing and proving a long and ongoing relationship. Photos, emails, Thai license with address at her house etc. 

On the GF side of things, as others have mentioned, its all about reasons to return to Thailand. Kids, job etc. A job being a big factor. If GF is not working then dont mention it. Better to say you are currently supporting her, show regular support money from you, bank book showing regular money from you.

The online application is a little odd as in they want information about ongoing relationship but dont list that as one of the documents. So include that information as part of other documents. If you submit copies of bank books put "please see below", bank books showing regular support etc. In your sponsor letter put "please see below" 3 pages of photos etc. 

Put yourself in the position of the person reviewing the application, they are looking for reasons to return to Thailand, and if someone is sponsoring, is it a guy she met last week or a long ongoing relationship. The best thing you can provide is an employment letter, even if its from a previous employer, stating "regularly worked at xyz etc, and is welcome back after her holiday in Australia" etc.

You didnt meet in 2013, you have been in a committed relationship since 2013. She isnt your GF, she is you "long term" GF, partner, (even fiancée). You dont regularly visit Thailand, you regularly come to be with your GF.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, rhodie said:

@Will27 @Peterw42 Thanks for the feedback guys. Much appreciated! :smile:

Dont forget, your GF isn't unemployed, she has her own independent massage therapy business, lots of private clients and often contracts/freelance to hotels and day spas (cash payment from customers not salary) etc. Please see attached bank book showing cash deposits from massage therapy business.

Im sure you can still find those photos of her in her massage uniform out the front of some of the massage shops were she often works as a freelance operator.

Edited by Peterw42

46 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Dont forget, your GF isn't unemployed, she has her own independent massage therapy business, lots of private clients and often contracts/freelance to hotels and day spas (cash payment from customers not salary) etc. Please see attached bank book showing cash deposits from massage therapy business.

Im sure you can still find those photos of her in her massage uniform out the front of some of the massage shops were she often works as a freelance operator.

I wouldn't start lying on the application.

There's no need to really. She doesn't have to be employed to gain a visitor visa.

A few calls by the case officer could find deception and that's the end of that.

Just tell the truth and he'll be better off IMO.

• Like 2

On 3/3/2018 at 10:38 AM, Peterw42 said:

Great imagination. :smile:

Has anyone actually done an online application and can give advice? I have attached 51( max is 60) documents to the application, but none are certified. I did not read the helpers until attaching the documents and it says scan of passport page and ID should be certified. So only need to do these 2. What certification is required and where can it be obtained? I am buried in the bush and getting anything done is not easy. :smile: I will probably need a trip to Bangkok. Has anyone submitted these docs without them being certified? Also, it says the name must be printed on the back of the photograph. A bit difficult when it is a scanned copy of the photograph.

EDIT: read in another thread that certification can be done at a bank. Is this acceptable? Would be a lot cheaper than a lawyer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS. Alluding to my post above, I did find examples of sponsors letters when searching the net that were useful. I will do a write up on our application and the results once known.

Edited by rhodie
Add question

3 hours ago, rhodie said:

Has anyone actually done an online application and can give advice? I have attached 51( max is 60) documents to the application, but none are certified. I did not read the helpers until attaching the documents and it says scan of passport page and ID should be certified. So only need to do these 2. What certification is required and where can it be obtained? I am buried in the bush and getting anything done is not easy. :smile: I will probably need a trip to Bangkok. Has anyone submitted these docs without them being certified? Also, it says the name must be printed on the back of the photograph. A bit difficult when it is a scanned copy of the photograph.

EDIT: read in another thread that certification can be done at a bank. Is this acceptable? Would be a lot cheaper than a lawyer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS. Alluding to my post above, I did find examples of sponsors letters when searching the net that were useful. I will do a write up on our application and the results once known.

Oops.

Edited by Will27
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MrPatrickThai said:

My Thai wife applied online but still had to go to Bkk. No certified passport.

All very simple. Luckily, I put my 30k a month of my salary into her bank account. Also, put a land deed in there and proof that our kids go to school here.

Thanks for that mate. Sorry, from Australia buried in my initial post. Her bank book shows at least that amount on average a year going in and out, plus included land title deeds. Will see if I can add something to show the boy is at school here. So, nothing was certified, but they asked her to go in presumably to confirm? On the website they say there is no need to attend for the visa as they will post it to the address. I would be quite happy to go to Bangkok just to avoid a hassle with the post.