Australian Tourist Visa Application

On 3/3/2018 at 2:38 PM, Peterw42 said:

Dont forget, your GF isn't unemployed, she has her own independent massage therapy business, lots of private clients and often contracts/freelance to hotels and day spas (cash payment from customers not salary) etc. Please see attached bank book showing cash deposits from massage therapy business.

Im sure you can still find those photos of her in her massage uniform out the front of some of the massage shops were she often works as a freelance operator.

Please people, disregard this advice. Lying on an application just causes issues that were never there to begin with.

• Like 1

Quick update. Submitted Friday 9th, did BIO yesterday in Bangkok at VfsGlobal 12th, and just got an email that the visa granted today 13th. 

Only think to watch for is to print all the attachments to emails from VFSGlobal. Luckily they have a print service in the office.

• Like 2

Hi everyone,

I'm just about to start applying for a visitor visa for my Vietnamese fiancée, just have a couple of questions:

We've been engaged for just over a year, planning on getting married later this year or early the next. I currently live at home with my parents - I am an in-house graphic designer for the company I work for, but I am not on a full time wage (only part time). I am worried about the case officer not believing that I have enough funds to cover her stay here (which of course I know I can), so my question is can I also put down my parents' income as she will be staying with us for her time here? I am also an Uber Eats driver on the side, but could that be considered regular income enough to support her?

Thanks for the assistance!

23 minutes ago, Flying Ace said:

Hi everyone,

I'm just about to start applying for a visitor visa for my Vietnamese fiancée, just have a couple of questions:

We've been engaged for just over a year, planning on getting married later this year or early the next. I currently live at home with my parents - I am an in-house graphic designer for the company I work for, but I am not on a full time wage (only part time). I am worried about the case officer not believing that I have enough funds to cover her stay here (which of course I know I can), so my question is can I also put down my parents' income as she will be staying with us for her time here? I am also an Uber Eats driver on the side, but could that be considered regular income enough to support her?

Thanks for the assistance!

How long is the intended visit for?

Your parents income won't be of any help.

You can provide payslips, a current group certificate or bank account statements.

You have accommodation sorted so the rest will just be holiday and living expenses.

1 hour ago, Will27 said:

How long is the intended visit for?

Your parents income won't be of any help.

You can provide payslips, a current group certificate or bank account statements.

You have accommodation sorted so the rest will just be holiday and living expenses.

Thanks for the reply. Visit will be for 4-6 weeks. Do I need to provide bank statements AND payslips, or will payslips be sufficient?

28 minutes ago, Flying Ace said:

Thanks for the reply. Visit will be for 4-6 weeks. Do I need to provide bank statements AND payslips, or will payslips be sufficient?

Provide as much information as you can.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Flying Ace said:

As above provide as much information as you can,  Provide payslips or group certificates.

Bank statements are OK if you have money in the bank.  (you don't need a lot, but some or regular income)

Also get your parents to supply an invitation letter, linking her to you and them, confirming timelines etc and saying she is welcome to stay at their home etc.

Your painting a picture to someone who doesn't know you or your relationship, so make it as detailed as necessary and cover the 4 main points with evidence, think does someone reading this application see the whole picture, don't leave it up to them to fill in the blanks. 

The 4 points.

1.Relationship to you.

2.Reason to return.

3.Funds to support her during her stay.

4.Reason to comply with visa. .

It's pretty simple.

Edited by Surin13

Applied for my Thai wife for tourist visa on 16th on line, submitted scans of, her ID, her Tabian Bahn, Marriage Certificate and my bank account, photograph and her passport; none were certified copies.

She went to Trendy Building on Wednesday, just took fingerprints and photograph of her, not asked to see any documents, other than her passport.

Visa approved letter in less than 24 hours.

Very simple process

• Like 2

Don't be honest if you want a visa approved.

Been with my girl over a year and she doesn't work and that's fine by me. Filled in the application correctly showing her with Funds and Travel Insurance, Photos of us (not in bar) welcome letter from my sister in OZ who spent time with here etc etc only to be refused as one persons opinion was that we must have not been telling the truth. This woman with this great ozzy name Atchima decided she was satisfied that my girl had good reason to return to Thailand.

She didn't even read the visa application correctly, as it clearly showed by my statement and our house registration with both our signatures that we are together in Thailand YET. She stated that she took into account that she was visiting an Australian partner. WRONG I am traveling to and from with her.

We were told prior that this is one of the main points they look at and others said they had just got a friend to bullshit a job for them to get their visa. We decided not to do that and be honest and, I blow $400 OZ.

Oh yes you can apply for a merits review within 70 days which we did stating the mistakes made and also additional information to support what I'm sure would have been a favorable outcome but wait for it. After filling out all the forms attaching all the doc, comes last page payment. $1731 Australian Dollars so you can guess what I did, considering I can apply for another Visa for +/- $150 OZ.

Can you claim your lost money on refusal NO.

So they can stick their visa and Australia up their arse I'll never go back and maybe just maybe one of the reasons that shit like this is why I left.

The world today is crap, if your not telling lies you get nowhere, but I sleep well at night.

Sorry I got cut off before I could finish the post .

I completed it here below.

I feel your pain and utter frustration JTH1.
We were knocked back on our first attempt with an honest application. It's not fair to have some lazy, incompetent person making these life changing decisions. I made an official complaint to immigration in Canberra. If enough people complain they might just make some changes.

Feeling aggrieved and having nowhere to go and nobody who can solve the problem for you is a shitty feeling I know.  The faceless and uncaring bureaucracy has ruined many plans and caused untold misery for many travelers.  For instance when I wanted to get an Australian citizenship by descent for my daughter born in Thailand when she was just 2 years old.  I went to the Oz embassy in Bangkok with my Thai wife, her sister, my daughter and one stepson.  They refused to accept that my daughter was my daughter. Despite all of us having been there on the day of her birth and we had a birth certificate too.  That wasn't good enough.  We had to drive back to the farm 4 hours away and find a witness to sign the document. to say yes in fact we know this child to be my daughter. We went to the hospital where she was born and the midwife refused to sign on the grounds she didn't have the authority to do so. She referred us to the young doctor who was on duty. He took the form even though he didn't know my daughter from a bar of soap. He filled in the form with a marking pen which leached through to the back side of the form. He wrote his name where my daughter's name should have been and my daughter's name where his name should have been !   I was very angry but it was too late. We drove the 35 Km back to the farm and luckily I had a scanner and a photo-shop program on the computer. I scanned in the form and deleted all the mistakes the doctor had made and printed out a new form.  The next day we drove the 35 Km to another town and looked for someone else to sign the form.  We found a friendly lady at the local ampur who had seen my daughter once about a year before. She looked at the form and said she can not read English.  So we eventually found a friend who could read English and got her to translate the questions on the form to Thai.  So we went back to the ampur and presented the lady with the questions. Then she said I can not write English ! So I filled in the answers for her and she signed in the correct place and put an official stamp on it.

We drove back to the embassy which also entailed getting hotel accommodation each time.

I presented the form filled out and the person on the counter said:  "this is not the original form - we can not accept this".  I was about ready to jump over the counter I was that angry.  I said I'm not going back again !!  You accept this form now !!

He reluctantly said "oh well,we can send it to Canberra but they probably won't accept it".  .

A month later we got the certificate of Citizenship by descent but still had to jump through more hoops to get her passport.  The first attempt they rejected the passport photos because they didn't comply with their standards. So a long march in the hot sun to the nearest photographer who proceeded to photo-shop the image so that it would comply. The hypocrisy of the whole process just makes my blood boil.  Whenever I have to go to any government agency my blood pressure goes high before I get in the door.

• Like 1

Hi All ,
Have been in a relationship with my Thai partner for 2.5 years, in that time I have been to Thailand 11 times a total of 201 days, she has been to Aust only 3 times which has been in the last 12 months for a total of 8 months, we have just been refused a 12 month tourist visa and a failed reapplication of a 3 month tourist visa, on the grounds we are trying to circumvent (get around) the proper migration channels, we are not married and am disappointed we are being pressured into marriage in order to meet the permanent visa requirements, as our 2.5 year relationship doesn’t meet the definition of a long term relationship which is 3 years, but we could of been married after one month and that would of met the requirements, anyway I have just paid $1700 AUD for an appeal.
Has anyone been through this process, also there is no doubt we are in a committed defacto relationship.
Any advice or experienced knowledge would be appreciated.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

43 minutes ago, Chpied said:

Hi All ,
Have been in a relationship with my Thai partner for 2.5 years, in that time I have been to Thailand 11 times a total of 201 days, she has been to Aust only 3 times which has been in the last 12 months for a total of 8 months, we have just been refused a 12 month tourist visa and a failed reapplication of a 3 month tourist visa, on the grounds we are trying to circumvent (get around) the proper migration channels, we are not married and am disappointed we are being pressured into marriage in order to meet the permanent visa requirements, as our 2.5 year relationship doesn’t meet the definition of a long term relationship which is 3 years, but we could of been married after one month and that would of met the requirements, anyway I have just paid $1700 AUD for an appeal.
Has anyone been through this process, also there is no doubt we are in a committed defacto relationship.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Not clear why you haven't previously applied for 820/801 visa whilst partner was in Australia which would have automatically generated a Bridging Visa. If you really want to live together in Oz perhaps a better way to proceed is to apply for a fiance visa rather than an appeal process for a three month visitor visa which likely will impose a 'no further stay' condition given background to date.

In the meantime hopefully a member such as Will27 will read and advise the prospect of success for an appeal

8 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Not clear why you haven't previously applied for 820/801 visa whilst partner was in Australia which would have automatically generated a Bridging Visa. If you really want to live together in Oz perhaps a better way to proceed is to apply for a fiance visa rather than an appeal process for a three month visitor visa which likely will impose a 'no further stay' condition given background to date.

In the meantime hopefully a member such as Will27 will read and advise the prospect of success for an appeal

The visa was has always had no further stay conditions, a fiancée or spousal visa is 7k, I’m hoping that they will understand our circumstances and grant the 12 month tourist visa, with the intention of marriage further down the track, like I said to them not everyone wants to live in Australia, and people shouldn’t be pressured into marriage to spend time together or meet visa requirements, over the last 2.5 years the longest we have spent apart on average is around 4 weeks at a time, so we have worked it pretty well, I am also hesitant to apply for a working visa which is an option for her as we are both farmers, although the problem being we are accused of trying to get around migration channels, like I said above you shouldn’t be forced into marriage to one 

prove your commitment

or two

too meet visa requirements.

thx for you input though 

11 minutes ago, Chpied said:

The visa was has always had no further stay conditions, a fiancée or spousal visa is 7k, I’m hoping that they will understand our circumstances and grant the 12 month tourist visa, with the intention of marriage further down the track, like I said to them not everyone wants to live in Australia, and people shouldn’t be pressured into marriage to spend time together or meet visa requirements, over the last 2.5 years the longest we have spent apart on average is around 4 weeks at a time, so we have worked it pretty well, I am also hesitant to apply for a working visa which is an option for her as we are both farmers, although the problem being we are accused of trying to get around migration channels, like I said above you shouldn’t be forced into marriage to one prove your commitment or two too meet visa requirements.

thx for you input though 

From your post above I would save your money for the appeal and put it towards the current AUD7000 fee. No one is forcing you into marriage, de facto partner visa is available if you've been together for 12 months, only need to explain the time apart. As you would know in a de facto relationship in Oz all the rules apply in the same manner as in marriage arrangement.

17 hours ago, simple1 said:

Unless things have changes, you previously were not able to appeal a visitor visa refusal which has been lodged overseas.

All of that information should be on the refusal letter.

You said "over the last 2.5 years the longest we have spent apart on average is around 4 weeks at a time,

so we have worked it pretty well". 

The case officer seems correct in that you're trying to circumvent the migration laws by living defacto whilst

on a visitor visa.

From the information you have provided, the case officer has deemed that after spending 8 months out of 12 on a visitor

visa, your partner is not a genuine visitor and it's hard to argue with that.

• Like 1

On 03/04/2018 at 5:50 PM, Chpied said:

Hi All ,

It's pretty straight forward, your partner isn't a genuine visitor, so the rejection on those grounds is correct, 8 months in Australia out of the last 12 and then applying for another visa so soon demonstrates this as they spent the majority of the time in Australia.

You should have applied for a partner visa as a de facto couple, the requirement for a de facto relationship is to have been in a de facto relationship for a period of at least 12 month. After applying for that visa, while waiting you could apply for tourist visas.

As to appealing to the AAT, you most likely have wasted $1700, as one, you don't have grounds to appeal from what you have written, and 2 the refusal is correct given the information you have provided.

What grounds are you appealing on? 

Edited by Surin13

I just got the refusal letter through. I was totally honest in my application, sent photos of us and my parents together in Vietnam, of myself with her parents, sent them evidence of my income and her income, and the application was refused because they say that she is a low income earner of working age and they don’t believe the reason for visit to be genuine. I don’t have huge savings in the bank, but earn quite well and they said that that alone isn’t adequate. She needs to provide some resounding evidence that she will return to Vietnam, such as evidence of assets (she has none), evidence of immediate family such as a child (of course she doesn’t have any). We wouldn’t jeopardise our future together and spouse visa in Australia by overstaying or not following visa rules but I guess that kind of logic doesn’t flow with the immigration department.

Don’t know where to go from here. 

I just got the refusal letter through. I was totally honest in my application, sent photos of us and my parents together in Vietnam, of myself with her parents, sent them evidence of my income and her income, and the application was refused because they say that she is a low income earner of working age and they don’t believe the reason for visit to be genuine. I don’t have huge savings in the bank, but earn quite well and they said that that alone isn’t adequate. She needs to provide some resounding evidence that she will return to Vietnam, such as evidence of assets (she has none), evidence of immediate family such as a child (of course she doesn’t have any). We wouldn’t jeopardise our future together and spouse visa in Australia by overstaying or not following visa rules but I guess that kind of logic doesn’t flow with the immigration department.

You can email the embassy with a strong worded complaint. And ask how you can make a application that won't be rejected.
You have been honest.
What more can they ask for ?
You can also make an online complaint at the main Oz immigration website.

Sent from my SM-N915F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

52 minutes ago, Flying Ace said:

It would be beneficial if you posted the refusal letter (minus the personal details) so people can have a look

and offer you some advice.

IMO, complaints won't really get you anywhere and are pretty much a waste of time.

The decision won't be overturned.

It's not really a case of being just honest, it's a case of putting in a good application.

The vast majority of applications that get refused are because of poor applications.

Sometimes you can get a bad decision from a case officer, but from my experience, it's usually a sub-standard application.

It would be beneficial if you posted the refusal letter (minus the personal details) so people can have a look
and offer you some advice.

IMO, complaints won't really get you anywhere and are pretty much a waste of time.
The decision won't be overturned.

It's not really a case of being just honest, it's a case of putting in a good application.
The vast majority of applications that get refused are because of poor applications.

Sometimes you can get a bad decision from a case officer, but from my experience, it's usually a sub-standard application.
IMHO - if nobody makes a complaint then they won't bother to change the system. If you had any dealings with the Oz embassy and their Thai staff members, you will find they don't have a lot of empathy for our citizens. You are just a number to them and why should they change? They still get paid, even for bad decisions. No prizes for new ideas. No reason to change the procedure to ensure genuine applicants get a visa. That said, Canberra staff are probably too busy with so called middle eastern "refugees" and other immigrants to be bothered with complaints from Aussies wanting to bring their girlfriends to Oz for a short holiday.

2 hours ago, xerostar said:

IMHO - if nobody makes a complaint then they won't bother to change the system. If you had any dealings with the Oz embassy and their Thai staff members, you will find they don't have a lot of empathy for our citizens. You are just a number to them and why should they change? They still get paid, even for bad decisions. No prizes for new ideas. No reason to change the procedure to ensure genuine applicants get a visa. That said, Canberra staff are probably too busy with so called middle eastern "refugees" and other immigrants to be bothered with complaints from Aussies wanting to bring their girlfriends to Oz for a short holiday.

I'm not sure if the system needs changing TBH.

From memory, about 95% of tourist visa applications get approved.

It's not a bad strike rate.

If someone puts in a substandard application (not saying the Flying Ace did because I didn't see it) it's

not really the Embassy's fault.

I'm just going to go ahead with the prospective marriage visa application, and our agent said that once that is lodged the department generally looks favourably on visitor visa applications due to the fact you have placed an application in for a visa that takes a long while to get processed. 

It just angers me that in my own country I have to prove that I (and my fiancee) am not a criminal, and even when you do that to the best of your ability, they still don't believe that we are not being dishonest.

They have all the information they could possibly need from me, so even if she was to overstay (as if!), it would be easy to track me down. 

Do they really think we would jeopardise our PMV application by overstaying?

Crazy.

Edit: refusal reason shown below:

Reasons for Decision

After carefully considering the information you have provided as evidence of your purpose in visiting Australia, I am not satisfied that you genuinely intend to visit Australia temporarily for the purpose for which the visa would be granted. In assessing whether or not you intend a genuine visit, I have taken into account the information provided in the application. I give weight to the following considerations:

In the visa application form, you stated that you have been employed with *restaurant* as head waitress since 12 Mar 2015. As proof of employment, you provided the following documents including:

- Employment confirmation
- Pay slips which detail your monthly salary as VND 5.5 million

- Leave approval

From the available evidence, I note that you are employed in a low paying job.

You have provided no evidence of your personal funds to cover your intended period of stay in Australia. <This is because she doesn't, and I am covering all expenses.

You are of working age. < So?

You do not have any dependent family in Vietnam who may act as incentive to return. < Well of course not! So her not having kids is a reason to deny a visa?

You have provided no evidence of asset ownership in Vietnam.  < How many young Vietnamese would?

While Mr Flying Ace has offered to provide financial support for your trip to Australia, no evidence of his funds was presented with the application. < Three months worth of payslips from three jobs is "no evidence"?

Nevertheless, the onus is still on you to adequately satisfy all criteria in order for an application to be approved. In this instance, you have failed to present sufficient evidence of your economic situation and personal commitments in Vietnam to satisfy the decision maker. < Again, I am covering all costs. Brother and sister, a job, other family and friends and her whole life spent in Vietnam equates to no personal commitments?

Individually, these factors may not appear significant. However, on balance, I find that the combination of these factors does not enable me to be satisfied that your intention to stay temporarily in Australia for the purpose for which the visa would be granted is genuine.

Therefore when considering the information and evidence you have provided, I find that you have failed to adequately demonstrate sufficient evidence that may support the likelihood of your compliance with the conditions attached to the visa and your return home at the end of your proposed stay in Australia.

Edited by Flying Ace

2 hours ago, Flying Ace said:

I'm just going to go ahead with the prospective marriage visa application, and our agent said that once that is lodged the department generally looks favourably on visitor visa applications due to the fact you have placed an application in for a visa that takes a long while to get processed. 

It just angers me that in my own country I have to prove that I (and my fiancee) am not a criminal, and even when you do that to the best of your ability, they still don't believe that we are not being dishonest.

They have all the information they could possibly need from me, so even if she was to overstay (as if!), it would be easy to track me down. 

Do they really think we would jeopardise our PMV application by overstaying?

Crazy.

Edit: refusal reason shown below:

Reasons for Decision

After carefully considering the information you have provided as evidence of your purpose in visiting Australia, I am not satisfied that you genuinely intend to visit Australia temporarily for the purpose for which the visa would be granted. In assessing whether or not you intend a genuine visit, I have taken into account the information provided in the application. I give weight to the following considerations:

In the visa application form, you stated that you have been employed with *restaurant* as head waitress since 12 Mar 2015. As proof of employment, you provided the following documents including:

- Employment confirmation
- Pay slips which detail your monthly salary as VND 5.5 million

- Leave approval

From the available evidence, I note that you are employed in a low paying job.

You have provided no evidence of your personal funds to cover your intended period of stay in Australia. <This is because she doesn't, and I am covering all expenses.

You are of working age. < So?

You do not have any dependent family in Vietnam who may act as incentive to return. < Well of course not! So her not having kids is a reason to deny a visa?

You have provided no evidence of asset ownership in Vietnam.  < How many young Vietnamese would?

While Mr Flying Ace has offered to provide financial support for your trip to Australia, no evidence of his funds was presented with the application. < Three months worth of payslips from three jobs is "no evidence"?

Nevertheless, the onus is still on you to adequately satisfy all criteria in order for an application to be approved. In this instance, you have failed to present sufficient evidence of your economic situation and personal commitments in Vietnam to satisfy the decision maker. < Again, I am covering all costs. Brother and sister, a job, other family and friends and her whole life spent in Vietnam equates to no personal commitments?

Individually, these factors may not appear significant. However, on balance, I find that the combination of these factors does not enable me to be satisfied that your intention to stay temporarily in Australia for the purpose for which the visa would be granted is genuine.

Therefore when considering the information and evidence you have provided, I find that you have failed to adequately demonstrate sufficient evidence that may support the likelihood of your compliance with the conditions attached to the visa and your return home at the end of your proposed stay in Australia.

First of all, sorry to hear about the visa refusal.

You mentioned you have an agent.

Is that just for your Spouse application or did they lodge your visitor visa application as well.

One of the reasons for refusal was that they think she has no reason to go back to Vietnam.

Having a job and family are reasonable grounds one would suspect.

I suspect your limited work history and financial situation was the main reason though.

The thing that sticks out to me are the is the sentence where it said you offered NO evidence of funds.

I don't know why the case officer didn't mention your payslips.

To be fair, 3 months worth of payslips/work history and no bank statement isn't great.

A bank statement with some decent savings would've been a big advantage given your limited work history.

Did you include a bank statement and group certificates?

If not, I can see where the CO made an assumption based on the application that the evidence of funds was

insufficient and then just tacked on the "personal commitment in Vietnam" on at the end to try and strengthen/justify

the decision.

As hard as it seems, I would I would just give it another 5 or 6 months and lob in another application.

Your work situation would at least show some stability and hopefully some savings.

It does seem harder for Vietnamese than Thai's

Anyways, bets of luck.

Flying Ace ---  I have just returned from Australia with my Thai wife who does not work but is able to demonstrate a strong commitment to Thailand.  We had absolutely no difficulty in securing her visitor visa. The application was completed online but my wife had to visit Bangkok to provide her biometrics. The visa was granted within three weeks of application which I, on behalf of my wife completed. It is important, in my opinion, to take great care when completing the form ensuring that what is asked for is provided. (Read the guidance notes carefully) In term of proving income, I would suggest that a bank statement covering at least 6 months would be more acceptable than payslips. -- However good luck with the next application

• Like 1