Australian Tourist Visa Application

Went through the post again as i was looking for info concerning documentation

The way i read it from here & the Embassy is that you do not require them to be translated & the only thing you need is for them to be copied & verified (witnessed) against the original documents by a JP (as we westerners know) or an employee at VFS at a rate of 50 BHT per sheet

The way i read it from here & the Embassy is that you do not require them to be translated & the only thing you need is for them to be copied & verified (witnessed) against the original documents by a JP (as we westerners know) or an employee at VFS at a rate of 50 BHT per sheet

If the person concerned is applying for a Tourist Visa ... what documents are being submitted which need translation?

"an employee at VFS at a rate of 50 BHT per sheet" ... have you experienced this or read about it somewhere?

We did a Visa application @ VFS 6 months ago and there is no cost from the VFS to witness any documents.

If they are charging now, and you have been charged, then please update this thread with that information.

If the person concerned is applying for a Tourist Visa ... what documents are being submitted which need translation?

"an employee at VFS at a rate of 50 BHT per sheet" ... have you experienced this or read about it somewhere?

We did a Visa application @ VFS 6 months ago and there is no cost from the VFS to witness any documents.

If they are charging now, and you have been charged, then please update this thread with that information.

It is for my wife & son

Dont need any translated as it is not required

Went through a link to Couriers from Auss Immigration

Courier at Korat

Am only submitting basic docs as it will be wifes 4 th time auss in 8 yrs (last time 4 yrs)

Docs Are

Form 1419

Passport & copies

Photos

ID Card

House Book

Marriage Cert

Son Birth Cert

Letter from ME

My bank statement (as i will be supporting her )

My passport

All copies that shall be witnessed at the VFS Courier in Korat ( Nakhon Ratchasima)

• 2 weeks later...

^^ Mate, no-one I know has had this experience on the Forum and has recorded it.

The basic Tourist Visa is fairly easy to do, no bond required.

Just demonstrate a compelling reason for the Visitor to return to their country once the Visa has expired.

Plus, if they don't have funds to support themselves in Australia, then you do and can substantiate this.

I'm happy to help if you have specific questions ... but I'm no Immigration Consultant. Sometimes you need the professionals on the case and the Forum Sponsor who has posted early on in this thread, appears to offer a good service for others feedback.

just PM me if you specific concerns ... if I can help, I will.

please excuse my ignorance, but what does a tourist visa cost ... one of my most productive calls to Immigration in OZ was a lady telling me the Visitor Visa is the cheapest ($130) ...

Ive read all of the above but am confused about wether i can actually sponsor my girlfriend?

The 1149 form says only a relative can be a sponsor, and includes defacto partner. But what is a defacto partner? Isnt that a partner you have lived with?

How do you live with someone if they cant get into the country?

And then on the front page, not the info form, it says you can be a partner?

Confused.

This is why i hate the public service.

Edited by catmaninoz

Ive read all of the above but am confused about wether i can actually sponsor my girlfriend?

The 1149 form says only a relative can be a sponsor, and includes defacto partner. But what is a defacto partner? Isnt that a partner you have lived with?

Confused.

That's because you're looking at the wrong form.

You should be looking at 1419 which is for a stock standard tourist visa.

Form 1149 is for sponsored family stream.

• Like 1

She is applying for a tourist visa all you are doing is sponsoring her.Get a few pay slips, bank statements., letter from employer, and write a letter of invitation, and send it to her.Tell her to fill out form 1419and take it to vfs.It really is quiet easy

Edited by woody087
  • Like 1

Haven't seen this mentioned yet, but Thai passport holders are now eligible to apply online for Tourist Visas from Thailand, no more dealing with VFS (unless you want too)

http://www.immi.gov.au/Services/Pages/visitor-visa-online-applications.aspx?heading=visitor-visa

Whats will be the processing times though? From the DIBP website they say 1 month for high risk countries, so who's doing the processing? Some pen pusher in OZ or VFS in BKK? At the moment with VFS they turn it around in 10-14days.

I don't know where they are processed, but VFS Thailand don't process the actual visa's they are processed by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection at the Australian Embassy Thailand. VFS are basically just a payment collection and courier service.

• Like 1

Hi David,

My question for you.

I am trying to get my Thai wife and her daughter to Australia on a visitors visa for 3 months.

I'm filling out the 1419 form for my wife, in there it asks about who is travelling with you. I've put her daughter in that spot, do I have to fill out a separate visa application for her?

Thank

Steve

AussieSteve, yes you will need to do separate applications.

Thanks Surin ... it's not a question I knew the answer to.

Yes thanks Surin, another question while I'm here, I want to get a spouse visa for them, can I do that while they are here? I know it can take up to 10 months and I was thinking maybe I can do a tourist visa first and then extend that for 12 months.

Another problem is I want to get the daughter into school and I'm not sure if I can do that on a visitor visa.

Thanks mate

Edited by AussieSteve

... another question while I'm here, I want to get a spouse visa for them, can I do that while they are here? I know it can take up to 10 months and I was thinking maybe I can do a tourist visa first and then extend that for 12 months.

Another problem is I want to get the daughter into school and I'm not sure if I can do that on a visitor visa.

Thanks mate

Steve, I'll take that one.

Firstly, to get a tourist visa, the applicant has to prove a compelling reason to return to Thailand.

Often, and I do mean often, with the Visitor (Tourist) Visa there is often a 'No Further Stay' provision.

That means, unless there are exceptional circumstances circumstances, the Visa holder must exit Australia when the Visa expires.

So, best to remove the thought that your Partner will get a Tourist Visa then, while in Australia, apply for a more substantive visa to remain.

Relying on that, you would be in for a rude shock.

As for getting your step-daughter into school while on a tourist visa ... in a word ... NO

The step-daughter has no rights other then that of being a 'Tourist'.

There is no such visa as a 'spouse visa'.

There are now Partner Visas ... covering both a Married applicant and one in a De-Facto relationship.

How long do Partner Visas take ... read this ... aussie-partner-processing-wait-times

How much do Partner Visas cost ... read this ... aussie-partner-visa-to-cost-more

I've just seen that Kris has posted so I'll cease now and read his words ...

... another question while I'm here, I want to get a spouse visa for them, can I do that while they are here? I know it can take up to 10 months and I was thinking maybe I can do a tourist visa first and then extend that for 12 months.

Thanks mate

Steve, I'll take that one.

Firstly, to get a tourist visa, the applicant has to prove a compelling reason to return to Thailand.

Often, and I do mean often, with the Visitor (Tourist) Visa there is often a 'No Further Stay' provision.

That means, unless there are exceptional circumstances circumstances, the Visa holder must exit Australia when the Visa expires.

So, best to remove the thought that your Partner will get a Tourist Visa then, while in Australia, apply for a more substantive visa to remain.

Relying on that, you would be in for a rude shock.

As for getting your step-daughter into school while on a tourist visa ... in a word ... NO

The step-daughter has no rights other then that of being a 'Tourist'.

There is no such visa as a 'spouse visa'.

There are now Partner Visas ... covering both a Married applicant and one in a De-Facto relationship.

How long do Partner Visas take ... read this ... aussie-partner-processing-wait-times

How much do Partner Visas cost ... read this ... aussie-partner-visa-to-cost-more

I've just seen that Kris has posted so I'll cease now and read his words ...

Thanks mate, ok so it looks like they will have to come over for 3 months in the Thai school holidays, go back and apply for a partner visa.

I'll be waiting until March for that to happen, so maybe its best to forget about the visitors visa and start now with the application for a partner visa.

I haven't seen Kris post.

^^ Mate, re Kris, my bad there. When I was previewing my post, I thought I saw his post.

He's a good guy with recent experience.

Plus he had a different tact, he went for a Prospective Marriage Visa ... which isn't the same as a 'Partner Visa'.

Do give this a try, its the Find-a-visa part of the Immigration Dept. Might show up some options you haven't previously considered.

We are here to help, keep the questions coming if you think we can help.

Haven't seen this mentioned yet, but Thai passport holders are now eligible to apply online for Tourist Visas from Thailand, no more dealing with VFS (unless you want too)

http://www.immi.gov.au/Services/Pages/visitor-visa-online-applications.aspx?heading=visitor-visa

That is good news, will make the process easier

Yes it is, just applied online today after being turned away from our local Udon Thani VFS office, closed until 6th Jan for new year holidays --- lucky me!

Easy process about 30 minutes to fill the form in. Costs $130 ($131.40 with credit card levy). You are then told not to do anything until you hear from a representative. You may or may not need to supply additional translated, certified documentation. I don't expect many hurdles as TW has been to Australia with me numerous times since 2001.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My Thai wife and I (Dutch national) are going for a short break and visiting friends to Sydney and my wife needs of course a visa. (I have already a evisitor visa)

As we live in Phuket we are planning to do this via the courier (Thai Post) option instead of going to Bangkok.

We should have all papers like several house papers, staying family members in Thailand, Hotel/Airline reservations, Financially papers, Marriage papers etc.

(i even included a letter explaining that we are going together and copies of my passport, Evisitor authorization mail and my salary payslips)

Does anybody have experience about how long it will take to do this via the courier option and if it is easy to get this tourist visa (Visa 600, Form 1419) for my wife.

I just read that Thai nationals can now apply online. For sure this would be great and i will give a try before we apply via VFS.

Edited by merijn

Confused.

Hello again

As above

But me & wife married with our natural born son

VFS said we had wrong visa application Sub class 600

Is this linked to 1419 or is it totaly seperate

Am now going to look up 1419 but do now if 1418 required must be done in Auss which i have never done before

Emailed VFS stating i think it is the right Visa as it is for touring visitors who also can be sponsored

Confused.

Hello again

As above

But me & wife married with our natural born son

VFS said we had wrong visa application Sub class 600

Is this linked to 1419 or is it totaly seperate

Am now going to look up 1419 but do now if 1418 required must be done in Auss which i have never done before

Emailed VFS stating i think it is the right Visa as it is for touring visitors who also can be sponsored

They're both subclass 600. Subclass 600 has 4 streams. You need form 1419 which is tourist stream.

Forms 1149 & 1418 are for Family Sponsored stream.

If your son has Australian Citizenship, he won't need a visa.

Embassy updates 1419 Visa

Found out why embassy said wife didnt have correct Visa - Even though it was a 1419

I downloaded in Nov 14, but Embassy has updated (or made changes ) in Dec 14 making hers & son In eligible

So at the end of the day I have to do it all again ( only forms )