A Reminder For All Thaivisa Members

Jai Dee

You have until the end of December 2005 to register your 'pre-paid' mobile phone SIM-card.

The Thai Government's advice is that after this date an unregistered SIM will be blocked throughout Thailand.

Basically go to a phone shop, show them your phone, ask them where can you register it, and hopefully they will be able to do it for you then and there, or you will be directed to another shop than can performs.

You must take your mobile phone complete with SIM card, and your passport.

Your details will be entered into a computer, and you will be thanked for registering.

Please, don't forget... Saturday December 31st is the last day for SIM card registration.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seems like a good way to tap phones as well. I don't have any problems with anyone so I'm not worried. Don't you think a politician with access to a network would like to know what some of his rivals are talking about or where they are? What else can a person get from your phone? Just an idea.

You have until the end of December 2005 to register your 'pre-paid' mobile phone SIM-card.

The Thai Government's advice is that after this date an unregistered SIM will be blocked throughout Thailand. 

Basically go to a phone shop, show them your phone, ask them where can you register it, and hopefully they will be able to do it for you then and there, or you will be directed to another shop than can performs.

Your details will be entered into a computer, and you will be thanked for registering.

Please, don't forget... Saturday December 31st is the last day for SIM card registration.

What actually is meant by this? I bought my phone in a regular phone shop and the SIM card ditto, can I safely assume it is already registered or do I still need to do something? I think I filled out a bunch of forms when I bought it but don't really remember....

What doesd this mean exactly? I bought my phone at a regular phone shop and the SIM card ditto (q1-2-3 Call, the kind you add money to). Not sure but I think I filled out sdome forms at the time (2 years ago). Can I assume it is already registered or do I still need to do something? I had assumed this was only for people who had purchased "hot" SIM cards...???

What doesd this mean exactly? I bought my phone at a regular phone shop and the SIM card ditto (q1-2-3 Call, the kind you add money to). Not sure but I think I filled out sdome forms at the time (2 years ago). Can I assume it is already registered or do I still need to do something? I had assumed this was only for people who had purchased "hot" SIM cards...???

All prepay customers need to register their SIMs. Unless you have specifically gone into a shop to register your SIM, assume nothing.

Copied from another thread:

"I was under the impression that holding a contract for my AIS handphone was sufficient enough to be in compliance with the law to register my SIM card. Yesterday I was told that I needed to "re-register" the SIM under the new law. Can anyone throw any light on this?"

Apart from news bulletins a couple of months old, I still do not have confirmation that this registration is essential to keep your pre-paid SIM card operational.

However, here is a link to the current Pattaya Expats Club Newsletter that also reinforces popular opinion.

There are also some other telephone tips in that article that ThaiVisa members may find useful.

Thanks to the PEC for the good info. :o

Although there are no copyright notices posted on their website, I don't think they'd mind me sharing their information with other expats in Thailand as I am a member of the PEC as well. Expats helping expats... that's what it's all about hey?

what is 'register my sim card' in Thai .... ??

Jot tabien meu teu ??? or something like that??

I'd say 'long tabien torasap' if I was going to be doing it, which I'm not.

I might also say 'keun tabien'.

I've had my DTAC acount for 5 years and they never told me anything about it.

Edited by Neeranam

I did mine last week at the AIS shop in central. Very easy, all you do it take your phone and I used my driving licence. Oddly enough though the registrar didn't want any proof of the number..........didn't ask me to ring him or to see the actual sim card. Curious.

So countless thousands of outlets are going to send all their handwritten cards to some central office where thousands more beavers are going to convert it to computer speak, and if you haven't registered they're going to stop you making phone calls that directly benefit Shincorp's wallet.

Who's kidding who?

These forms will no doubt end up the same sort of dusty cupboard as the compusory three month address forms one has to fill in at immigration for retirement visa.

As it will resolve all the troubles in the Deep South and finally put an end to all the bombings and killings, it's a small price to pay (giving up a bit of personal information). After it's completed, Thailand will well be on it's way to a perfect Utopia, free of all problems.

Well, atleast the genious plan/path towards Utopia is 90 percent bullet proof..For the other 10 percent, we might have to fold more paper birds to be dropped off via Mr. T's jets. :D:D

I'm surprised he hasn't been nominated for a nobel peace prize yet... :o

From DTAC website...but looks like it's probably just for post paid new simcard..???

Register for DTAC SIM Card

Register for DTAC SIM CARD is requesting to use DTAC system service.

Contact Point:

All DTAC Shops nationwide.

All DTAC Service Halls nationwide.

Documents required:

Documents required for new register can be submitted either:

1. Main document used together example copy of citizen ID card + copy of government officer ID card or

copy of citizen ID+ copy of state enterprise officer ID

2. Main document used with supplementary document

example copy of citizen ID card + copy of house registration or

copy of citizen ID + copy of health insurance or

copy of government officer ID + copy of health insurance or

copy of state enterprise officer ID + copy of driver licenseี่

Main documents

Citizen ID with its copy duly endorsed.

Government officer ID card with with its copy duly endorsed.

State Enterprise officer ID card with its copy duly endorsed.

Supplementary documents

Copy of house registration

Copy of driver license

Copy of social insurance

Copy of health insurance (30 Baht heal all)

Copy of Passport

Copy of student ID card ( 20 years of age)

Copy of Credit card

Copy of TAX ID card

Legal Person

Copy of company letter signed by authorized manager not over then 6 months since the issued date with the company's emblem.

Copy of the authorized manager's identification card, duly endorsed.

warrant of authority with revenue stamp (10 Baht)

Citizen ID card + copy of citizen ID card of the processor with his sign

Processed by the owner's representative:

warrant of authority, real ID card and photocopy of ID card of the representative, duly endorsed , also enclosing the following documents :

Individual under 20 years old:

ID card and its photocopy, duly endorsed.

ID card of the parent together with copies of ID card, duly endorsed.

Copy of House Registration, duly endorsed.

Copy of House Registration of the parent, duly endorsed.

Remark: If the parent are not father or mother of the registration person but the authorised parent guaranteed by the court, the announcement letter of the court authorising the parent with duly endorsed copy of their ID card is required.

Individual over 20 years old:

ID card and its phorocopy, duly endorsed.

Legal person/entity:

Copy of company letter signed by authorised manager not over then 6 months since the issued date with the company's emblem.

Copy of the authorized manager's identification card, duly endorsed.

Government offices:

Copy of authorised letter of the government office signed by the executive.

Copy of ID card / copy of government official card of the authorised person, duly endorsed.

Governmental officer:

ID card / Government official card with its copy duly endorsed.

6. Embassy:

Copy of authorised letter signed by the authorised person with the embassy's emblem.

Copy of passport of the authorised person, duly endorsed.

Copy of Work Permit of the authorised person / duly endorsed diplomat card.

7. Foreigner having residence in Thailand:

Copy of alien registration, duly endorsed.

8. Foreigner not having residence in Thailand:

Copy of passport, duly endorsed.

Copy of Work Permi, duly endorsed.

9. Temple:

Copy of authorised letter of the temple signed by the temple's authorised person with the temple's emblem.

Copy of monk's identification card of the abbot, duly endorsed.

Temple's registration

10. Monk:

Monk's indentification card, duly endorsed.

Fee:

Registration for DTAC SIM CARD is 199 baht (inclusive of 7%)

I just did mine, in the boonies where I live there was only one location in the provincial capital (a telewiz shop) but all the phone shops knew about it so easy to find. Just ask to "tam tabien torasop". You need your passport and then some proof of residence, that last had me worried since like most foreigners I have never been able to get a " tabien ban" (actually, I have one -- it's just blank because they refuse to list me in it). However they accepted my car registration. For folks staying a hotel or lacking car reg, I don't know what you'd need..maybe just a copy of lease or note from the hotel?

Anyhow took only a second. Many thanks for the reminder as I hadn't realized this applied to all prepaidSIM cards, I thought it was only for illegally purchased ones.

How are individuals, who are currently outside of Thailand, supposed to register their SIM cards if they do not plan to be in LOS on or prior to the 31-Dec-05 cutoff date?

Does DTAC offer an online registration system?

What about the folks in rural Thailand, who probably have not heard that they need to register their phones?

How are individuals, who are currently outside of Thailand, supposed to register their SIM cards if they do not plan to be in LOS on or prior to the 31-Dec-05 cutoff date?

Does DTAC offer an online registration system?

What about the folks in rural Thailand, who probably have not heard that they need to register their phones?

SOL - most likely! :o

Maybe I missed it somewhere on this thread, but what's the cost, if you didn't buy your phone in that place? I heard it was 500 baht, which is a lot for a working class Thai.

I'm tempted to remind my Thai friend who's just moved back to Thailand, and never has 20 baht of credit left in his mobile....he'll probably ask me for a loan!

OK... it's official... this bulletin just released confirms it.

I'll now pin this topic for all ThaiVisa members to see until the new year.

ICT MINISTRY TO DISCUSS WITH CELL PHONE SERVICE PROVIDERS AFTER THE DATELINE OF CELL PHONE REGISTRATION

Information and Communications Technology (ICT) Minister SORA-AT KLINPRATOOM (สรอรรถ กลิ่นประทุม) said that half of 27,000,000 mobile phone subscribers in Thailand have already registered their sim cards, and believes that everyone will cooperate with the government.

However, the ICT Ministry will hold a meeting with the mobile phone service providers to see what process shall be made after the dateline of sim card registration, which falls on December 31st, 2005

According to Deputy Prime Minister and Justice Minister CHITCHAI WANNASATHIT (ชิดชัย วรรณสถิตย์), mobile phone registration in the southern provinces has helped alleviate the regional turbulence, as it helps prevent insurgents from detonating bombs by using mobile phones.

Mr. SORA-AT said the National Telecommunications Commission has been instructed to talk with the Malaysian counterparts to solve the problem of Malaysian mobile phone signal which is covering certain areas of Thailand.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 16 December 2005

Maybe I missed it somewhere on this thread, but what's the cost, if you didn't buy your phone in that place?  I heard it was 500 baht, which is a lot for a working class Thai.

I'm tempted to remind my Thai friend who's just moved back to Thailand, and never has 20 baht of credit left in his mobile....he'll probably ask me for a loan!

Doesn't cost anything, it's free and they thank you for doing it. (At least at the Telewiz stores).

What actually is meant by this? I bought my phone in a regular phone shop and the SIM card ditto, can I safely assume it is already registered or do I still need to do something? I think I filled out a bunch of forms when I bought it but don't really remember....

Since last one month when i buy a sim card they ask for my id, i present them a drivers lisence, and they note it down...

But last sunday when i got one for a visiting friend, they didnt ask for any ID, i presented my liscense n got a "mai bpen rai"....has anything changed lately?

There is more easier ways to detonate than an

cellular phone. Also IMEI codes etc will wanish

on the explosion.

If your Sim card is out from the country (roaming)

you can registerate it later when come back to

Thailand. Someone maybe know more about this?