New Visa Rules For Fathers Of Thai Children

My point is that despite some of the hysterical postings on here, this rule change will not affect many people. But thanks for your input coffee1.gif

You mean "it doesn't affect me, so why should I care?" Well...the reason you should care is that they are systematically changing the immigration rules every year to effectively expel a portion of the expats living here. While this change doesn't affect you the next one might.

Nope, I mean that despite some people insinuating that all unmarried fathers will have to leave the country, there are options available to most people.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When I told my gf this she laughed and said that usually its Thai ladies marrying expats for visas and passports, not the other way round but even if we did decide to have a sham marriage it would take ages to get the right paperwork from the UK embassy in Bangkok to say Ive never been married before.

Where would the sham be in your marriage? You and your girlfriend still live together with your child don't you. A sham marriage is one that is rigged to use an Immigration loophole where one or both parties get financial gain for pretending to be a spouse. They may even not ever know each other and for the most part don't stay under the same roof and usually never in the same bed.

FYI, it only takes two days tops to get the affirmation letter from the UK and if you get your skates on, you can even get it certified at the MFA the same day you pick it up from the embassy. If your time off is valuable, an agent will do the running around for a reasonable amount of baht and mail it to you. Then three days later, hit the Amphur and get married... end of problem.

For most of the complainants here, the easiest solution is get married. If being married means some minor inconvenience with business dealings and signatures (as stated in an earlier post); how does that inconvenience weigh up against the visa eligibility issue being debated here? Even the divorced and legally separated can get the correct visa with a modicum of legwork. The ones that are between a rock and hard spot would be the true single-parent family where there's a deadbeat mum involved. I haven't read all the posts but I would be surprised if they are making the most noise on this matter.

I'm sorry but I would take very little from this at all.

There is no mention of the code for the Non immigrant visa though we assume it's a Non-0 visa.

This is hardly a new rule anyway, if you arn't married to the mother of the child what right should you have to get the visa anyway.

Seems like the only reason why you got the email in the first place was because some guy knocked up a girl in Pattaya and thought it would be a good way to get a visa.

Oh and to those who think it's racist go back and ask your own consulate if this would fly in your country, it wouldn't. have a kid in america to an unwed mother good luck if you think you'll get a green card.

I think this issue is deeper than what you're thinking. I've been here for 16 years and married for a little more than 12 years and have two children, both over 7. What would happen if my wife were to pass away? I wouldn't be married - does that then mean I would need to go out of the country to renew my visa on a regular basis or would I still be allowed to have a one year Non-Imm O?

What about people who choose not to marry?

What about Farang women married to Thai men? Will this rule apply to women too?

Does an unmarried father not have the same rights as a married one? Like it or not, if an unmarried person is supporting his child, they ought to have the same rights as a married father.

If you are on 1 year extension of stays then I seriously doubt that they would be denied in the event of your wife passing.

Are you working or over 55? If so then you could get a visa based on that.

If the alternative is that you would have to leave the country and not be able to see your children, why would you not get married?

I don't know whether it applies to females also.

If you are not married to the mother and have not legitimised the birth then unfortunately no, you do not have the same rights as a married father.

He said he's been married for over 12 years.

My point is that despite some of the hysterical postings on here, this rule change will not affect many people. But thanks for your input coffee1.gif

You mean "it doesn't affect me, so why should I care?" Well...the reason you should care is that they are systematically changing the immigration rules every year to effectively expel a portion of the expats living here. While this change doesn't affect you the next one might.

Nope, I mean that despite some people insinuating that all unmarried fathers will have to leave the country, there are options available to most people.

Not all relationships are blessed in heaven and not all Thai women are perfect angels. We envy you for being lucky in your choice of a partner but it's not always the case for others.

Re your friend, what difference does going signing a piece of paper at the local Amphur really make if it enables him to stay with his family? Is signing that paper really going to make a difference as to whether he and his wife stay together?

If they do split up it does not mean that the child will never get to see one of his parents. Also, lots of children are raised by single parents and it needn't be disastrous. I am sure workarounds can be found.

For the record, I don't have an issue with the visas not being given if the father is only named on the birth certificate. However, I do believe that they should be given if you are proven to be the legally registered father, regardless of your marriage status.

Perhaps you've had little or no experience with family, but a parent who 'visits' is incapable of providing the stability and consistency of a parent who actually resides with his child(ren). Therefore the child(ren) suffer.

My best mate was raised by his mother only with limited input from his father who lived overseas. He does not appear to have suffered, nor has his sister. I accept that a stable, loving 2 parent family is generally better, but to say that children being raised by one parent will suffer is doing a disservice to many single parent families.

I suggest you ask your best mate rather than merely relying upon what you have observed. Knowing that one has a parent out there that would potentially be a positive influence but is not present or available day in and day out is less than ideal. I did not mean 'suffering' as living one's life in agony, but, I did mean that, for the child, having one parent not living in the same country as the child translates into, at best, an unfortunate situation.

Re your friend, what difference does going signing a piece of paper at the local Amphur really make if it enables him to stay with his family? Is signing that paper really going to make a difference as to whether he and his wife stay together?

If they do split up it does not mean that the child will never get to see one of his parents. Also, lots of children are raised by single parents and it needn't be disastrous. I am sure workarounds can be found.

For the record, I don't have an issue with the visas not being given if the father is only named on the birth certificate. However, I do believe that they should be given if you are proven to be the legally registered father, regardless of your marriage status.

Perhaps you've had little or no experience with family, but a parent who 'visits' is incapable of providing the stability and consistency of a parent who actually resides with his child(ren). Therefore the child(ren) suffer.

My best mate was raised by his mother only with limited input from his father who lived overseas. He does not appear to have suffered, nor has his sister. I accept that a stable, loving 2 parent family is generally better, but to say that children being raised by one parent will suffer is doing a disservice to many single parent families.

I suggest you ask your best mate rather than merely relying upon what you have observed. Knowing that one has a parent out there that would potentially be a positive influence but is not present or available day in and day out is less than ideal. I did not mean 'suffering' as living one's life in agony, but, I did mean that, for the child, having one parent not living in the same country as the child translates into, at best, an unfortunate situation.

Don't forget it's also painful for the father. If you're participating in the up bringing of your children then due to some bureaucratic decision you're suddenly ripped from your family because it's been determined that your presence in this country is undesirable; it can be devastating to a loving father.

This new change directly affects me; I have a baby with my Thai gf, I work outside of Thailand for a month and then take leave in Thailand for at least a couple of months each time.

Until last year I was getting Non Imm O visa on the basis of visiting my gf, I was just about to apply on the basis of having a child in Thailand but thats no longer valid - so here I am on a 15 day entry stamp after a border run last weekend pondering what to do to be able to stay here with my family.

Are you saying that you were refused a Non Imm O visa based on these new changes? What embassy/consul refused you? How long ago did this occur? I'm sure many here would be interested in more specifics about your refusal.

hull hasn't been issuing multientries for a few months now unless your married or have sole custody, there was thread about it but i can't find it.

for any fathers in thailand who are un-married you can extend 60 days or there's a system for converting .

here's hoping there's some good news soon.

Don't forget it's also painful for the father. If you're participating in the up bringing of your children then due to some bureaucratic decision you're suddenly ripped from your family because it's been determined that your presence in this country is undesirable; it can be devastating to a loving father.

Timtang.... It's all too obvious from your posts that you hold some anger and resentment towards thais. All your posts have been quite negative about the racists thais and how they are out to rip the poor farang fathers away from their children. Personally i don't think you are helping the situation here any with all your negativity.

Having a child is a major responsibility and not at ask to be taken lightly. Getting into a relationship with someone living in a different country as you has its own set of pitfalls. Having a child with some one that lives in a different country needs to be a well thought out choice. All this talk of the "bad" thai government forcing you to abandon your parental responsibilities makes me sick. Grow up people. You know how babies are made when you came here and made one. If you thought it would come without added inconveniences then you are not mature enough to be a parent.

Many posters are trying to be helpful with their comments on how too make the situation work. There is no need to act childish about it and throw blame around on the thais.

• Like 1

Timtang.... It's all too obvious from your posts that you hold some anger and resentment towards thais. All your posts have been quite negative about the racists thais and how they are out to rip the poor farang fathers away from their children. Personally i don't think you are helping the situation here any with all your negativity.

Having a child is a major responsibility and not at ask to be taken lightly. Getting into a relationship with someone living in a different country as you has its own set of pitfalls. Having a child with some one that lives in a different country needs to be a well thought out choice. All this talk of the "bad" thai government forcing you to abandon your parental responsibilities makes me sick. Grow up people. You know how babies are made when you came here and made one. If you thought it would come without added inconveniences then you are not mature enough to be a parent.

Many posters are trying to be helpful with their comments on how too make the situation work. There is no need to act childish about it and throw blame around on the thais.

I respect your opinion.

When I told my gf this she laughed and said that usually its Thai ladies marrying expats for visas and passports, not the other way round but even if we did decide to have a sham marriage it would take ages to get the right paperwork from the UK embassy in Bangkok to say Ive never been married before.

Where would the sham be in your marriage? You and your girlfriend still live together with your child don't you. A sham marriage is one that is rigged to use an Immigration loophole where one or both parties get financial gain for pretending to be a spouse. They may even not ever know each other and for the most part don't stay under the same roof and usually never in the same bed.

FYI, it only takes two days tops to get the affirmation letter from the UK and if you get your skates on, you can even get it certified at the MFA the same day you pick it up from the embassy. If your time off is valuable, an agent will do the running around for a reasonable amount of baht and mail it to you. Then three days later, hit the Amphur and get married... end of problem.

For most of the complainants here, the easiest solution is get married. If being married means some minor inconvenience with business dealings and signatures (as stated in an earlier post); how does that inconvenience weigh up against the visa eligibility issue being debated here? Even the divorced and legally separated can get the correct visa with a modicum of legwork. The ones that are between a rock and hard spot would be the true single-parent family where there's a deadbeat mum involved. I haven't read all the posts but I would be surprised if they are making the most noise on this matter.

Nit pick much? You wrote a long reply just to highlight one word in my post?

And yes it would be a sham cuz neither of us want to be married and we would be doing it purely to take advantage of a loophole in the immigration laws. Just because we are in a commited long term relationship does not mean we want to be forced into a marriage contract, not really sure that either of our parents or families would be too happy about it either if we did it that way.

And with regards to your advice of how to proceed with the wedding, we live in Ubon and would have to go to BKK to sort out all that paperwork. More wasted time and money all pursuing a path we dont want to take. Sorry for anyone that gets forced into a marriage like that (sham or not) just to stay here.

As it happens I found out I can extend my stay here at immigration which will suit me in the meantime or until the laws change again for the better or worse.

You should have stopped after the first sentence. Your second sentence is completely wrong as this situation has been created by Thailand and blame rests 100% on their head. Maybe they should go back and read the UN human rights agreements they signed but fail to follow - in this case rights of the family.

But this is Thailand (TIT) keeps being brainwashed into the foreigners that it seems many accept that it is NORMAL to be abused, and to ACCEPT human rights violations - oh well, they just cancelled another legitimate visa, oh well they just cracked down on housing/company law and many lost their home, oh well you can't stay with your family of many years, oh well... TIT. Complete and utter BS and defence of BS is even worse!

• Like 1

An example that will not apply to the majority, but a valid one nonetheless. If the mother has died then he could apply to the courts for custody as the father. It would then be possible for him to take the child to his home country.

If the couple have split up then it is trickier. If he legitimises himself as the father then he has shown a committment to the child and the rules should allow him to obtain a visa to visit. Hopefully the rules are relaxed to allow this.

Bt 400k in the bank is the requirement to get a 1 year extension of stay, not the actual visa itself. 90 day border runs would be required if he has the visa, but doesn't meet the requirements for a 1 year extension of stay.

Certain branches do allow people on a tourist visa to set up an account I believe. However, I agree a lot don't.

You ramble on a lot about how trivial this change of visa is - rather rude in my opinion. And then you accept that things are not easy and that parents with infants need to do border runs and may not get a bank account and how the things may just not be that straightforward or even possible.

You act like an expert but shoot yourself in the foot every time you post - in this case "Bt 400k in the bank is the requirement to get a 1 year extension of stay, not the actual visa itself." In case you have not read the OP - visas will not be issued!

You have proven in previous posts that you have no sympathy for parents in this situation and I really do believe you are here as a troll.

You should have stopped after the first sentence. Your second sentence is completely wrong as this situation has been created by Thailand and blame rests 100% on their head. Maybe they should go back and read the UN human rights agreements they signed but fail to follow - in this case rights of the family.

But this is Thailand (TIT) keeps being brainwashed into the foreigners that it seems many accept that it is NORMAL to be abused, and to ACCEPT human rights violations - oh well, they just cancelled another legitimate visa, oh well they just cracked down on housing/company law and many lost their home, oh well you can't stay with your family of many years, oh well... TIT. Complete and utter BS and defence of BS is even worse!

So far "Jayman" has called me a "drama Queen", a "racist", and "childish" so I can only surmise that this change doesn't affect him in any way. So he's quite comfortable humiliating those that it does.

Either that or he is Thai and the realisation of the truth from others often upsets.

Nit pick much? You wrote a long reply just to highlight one word in my post?

And yes it would be a sham cuz neither of us want to be married and we would be doing it purely to take advantage of a loophole in the immigration laws. Just because we are in a commited long term relationship does not mean we want to be forced into a marriage contract, not really sure that either of our parents or families would be too happy about it either if we did it that way.

And with regards to your advice of how to proceed with the wedding, we live in Ubon and would have to go to BKK to sort out all that paperwork. More wasted time and money all pursuing a path we dont want to take. Sorry for anyone that gets forced into a marriage like that (sham or not) just to stay here.

As it happens I found out I can extend my stay here at immigration which will suit me in the meantime or until the laws change again for the better or worse.

K. Matt,

I wasn't nitpicking. Your definition of 'sham marriage' although not the same as most definitions, is now understood. Your opinion on what you perceive as 'forced' marriage has been clearly stated as well. Pretty much you (and your partner) dislike marriage but don't let that cloud the practicalities of marriage in this instance.

For the benefit of those that read these missives seeking some clues to solving their own immigration issues, I merely pointed out that getting an affirmation from the UK embassy, getting it notarised by the MFA and finally getting married isn't the great, expensive, bureacratic paper trail that you think it is. BTW, if you haven't bothered to do it, how can you possibly pass comment on what it takes anyway? How long does it take to get from Ubon to Bangkok these days?

Good news that you have found a temporary reprieve from the new pitfalls of being an unwed, mixed nationality couple in Thailand. There's no denying that these changes are inconvenient but hopefully not all see it as another '<deleted> you' from our hosts or government trying to force people to do things they would prefer not to do. Some respondents here (not you) really, really do need to relax a little and back off on the paranoia.

We live in Udon btw.

• Like 1

Maybe they should have never let in you in their country to impregnate their women? Maybe they issue condoms with visa on arrival? Why are you blaming thailand for their immigration laws. If it sucks so bad and you hate it so much take your wife and children to a different country that makes more sense to you. Stop blaming the Thais for a situation you got yourself into. If you're an "angry parent" then that is something you need to work on.. don't blame the thais for it.

As for am I effected by this? NO. I'm not a UK resident nor citizen and I don't have to get my visas from the UK consuls. I have already contacted the head of the visa issuance dept at the Thai Embassy in NYC and was told they still accept birth certs as proof of parentage for the issuance of non-imm O visa's for fathers. I've stated that fact like 3 times already and yet more crying and drama about how the thais are forcing you to abandon your kids. Get real. No one forced you to come to Thailand into a sexual relationship with a thai women. Live with the consequences of your actions.

Now.. what I do find quite ironic is that for several weeks now a thread has been going on TV that is quite popular about a Thai women who was refused entry to the UK on the basis she is married. So many expats chime in on what a gold digging slut she is and good on UK for keeping her out and blah blah blah.... Well, do you think the Thai consul in UK is responding to this? You argue among yourselves I gotta go pick up my kid from school.

He got himslef...me too..into this situation when the rules were different and somewhat reasonable....perhaps common sense is too staong a word to use here in relation to such decisions by the people in charge.

Now.. what I do find quite ironic is that for several weeks now a thread has been going on TV that is quite popular about a Thai women who was refused entry to the UK on the basis she is married. So many expats chime in on what a gold digging slut she is and good on UK for keeping her out and blah blah blah.... Well, do you think the Thai consul in UK is responding to this? You argue among yourselves I gotta go pick up my kid from school.

+1

(can you pick up mine while you are at it?)

Maybe they should have never let in you in their country to impregnate their women? Maybe they issue condoms with visa on arrival? Why are you blaming thailand for their immigration laws. If it sucks so bad and you hate it so much take your wife and children to a different country that makes more sense to you. Stop blaming the Thais for a situation you got yourself into. If you're an "angry parent" then that is something you need to work on.. don't blame the thais for it.

As for am I effected by this? NO. I'm not a UK resident nor citizen and I don't have to get my visas from the UK consuls. I have already contacted the head of the visa issuance dept at the Thai Embassy in NYC and was told they still accept birth certs as proof of parentage for the issuance of non-imm O visa's for fathers. I've stated that fact like 3 times already and yet more crying and drama about how the thais are forcing you to abandon your kids. Get real. No one forced you to come to Thailand into a sexual relationship with a thai women. Live with the consequences of your actions.

He got himslef...me too..into this situation when the rules were different and somewhat reasonable....perhaps common sense is too staong a word to use here in relation to such decisions by the people in charge.

Has even 1 Thai embassy confirmed this so called "rule change"? I have been told by the NY Thai Embassy that nothing has changed. It has always been the case that consuls can interpret the rules how they want. If Hull is now not accepting thai birth certs to prove the father/child relationship then either goto a diff embassy or personally contact the Hull consulate with your case and find out what you can do. You are responsible for children after all and yet all you guys are doing is whining like babies. Within a few hours of reading the OP I was on the phone with my officials that conformed that I was in the clear. This is why I have tried to calm others down but it seems some want to believe bad thais are at it again to rip their children away from them.

Please someone post the new immigration rules for visa issuance of non-imm visa's on the basis of parentage and then we can act accordingly. Oh that's right, nothing has been officially changed.

Edited by Jayman
  • Like 1

Has even 1 Thai embassy confirmed this so called "rule change"? I have been told by the NY Thai Embassy that nothing has changed. It has always been the case that consuls can interpret the rules how they want. If Hull is now not accepting thai birth certs to prove the father/child relationship then either goto a diff embassy or personally contact the Hull consulate with your case and find out what you can do. You are responsible for children after all and yet all you guys are doing is whining like babies. Within a few hours of reading the OP I was on the phone with my officials that conformed that I was in the clear. This is why I have tried to calm others down but it seems some want to believe bad thais are at it again to rip their children away from them.

Please someone post the new immigration rules for visa issuance of non-imm visa's on the basis of parentage and then we can act accordingly. Oh that's right, nothing has been officially changed.

I am very sorry to say but you lost your credibility yesterday when you went around saying that the letter from the UK consul was a fake and the guy did not work there. Then magically you claimed to "send" an email to the head of the New York embassy/consul at 9 O'clock at NIGHT their time and get a magical response shortly after that.

Hot air springs to mind!

I am very sorry to say but you lost your credibility yesterday when you went around saying that the letter from the UK consul was a fake and the guy did not work there. Then magically you claimed to "send" an email to the head of the New York embassy/consul at 9 O'clock at NIGHT their time and get a magical response shortly after that.

Hot air springs to mind!

Again.. twisting words.. I said the letter was poorly written and it was someone else that pointed out it was signed by someone that hasn't worked there in a year.

Listen.. you do what you have to do to keep your family together. I don't really care if you have pulled my cred or not. I have done my part to make sure my visa status is solid.

Also, I never said I sent an email. I said I am VERY GOOD FRIENDS with the head of the dept which allows me to contact her at 9pm EST. I never said email.. I got on a phone and called her. Don't believe it, call the dam_n embassy yourself.

Edited by Jayman

Hot air springs to mind!

I am in K.L at the moment and will be at the embassy at 9 a.m in the morning (8. a.m thai time) and should have some answer by midday. I am applying for that exact vsa.

Edited by softgeorge
  • Like 1

Hot air springs to mind!

I am in K.L at the moment and will be at the embassy at 9 a.m in the morning (8. a.m thai time) and should have some answer by midday. I am applying for that exact vsa.

Good luck mate.

I hope you have success.thumbsup.gif

Hot air springs to mind!

Good luck mate.

I hope you have success.thumbsup.gif

So do I. Have been through the entire court system and have all the required documents as a legally recognised father under Thai law. previously I only used a birth certificate but this time well armed. I hope I can answer a few questions for many on here tomorrow.

• Like 1

I change 7 odd years ago from whatever visa it was I had....had to do the 90 day runs....to support of thai child...did it in Bangkok.

Still not answering the question clearly, do you do border runs or 90 day address reports at immigration?

The gentleman mentioned above is applying for a visa, not an extension of stay, and he may not even qualify for the extension, so may not have a choice.

Edited by beechguy