You Think Thailand Is Bad? Try The Uk Pensions Lot!

msg362

Is it not time to call a halt?

I sat out this evening, watching the sunset over the lake. Maybe 100 egrets flew over, going to roost. Sipping a glass of cold white wine in temperatures I could only experience one day a year in Scotland, my wife came home, we ate Massaman curry that I had made and I was at peace with the world. Change it for the UK ? No way. For all the gripes about not inflation proofing my pension, being here, with all it's carbuncles, is a thousand times better than living in my country of birth. But moaning a little is good for the soul, a bit like meditation.

When discussing "moaning", one must always remember what Wellington said about his men- "it's not when they're moaning that one needs to worry, it's when they stop that one needs to be concerned" ( or words to that effect ).

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW I've never never met one that "enjoyed" the lifestyle, though none of them seemed to despise it to the extent that popular anti Thai nightlife media would imply. Indeed, most seem to tolerate it much as one "tolerates" having to use the toilet every day, a necessary part of life, no more or less.

I've lived with two that chose it above all other ways of life, both being exceptionally pretty and having many choices in life..

They loved sex with different men (not all at the same time).

They loved taking 'Yabba' and dancing all night.

They loved drinking so much alcohol, they would lose consciousness.

Edited by ludditeman

I sat out this evening, watching the sunset over the lake. Maybe 100 egrets flew over, going to roost. Sipping a glass of cold white wine in temperatures I could only experience one day a year in Scotland, my wife came home, we ate Massaman curry that I had made and I was at peace with the world. Change it for the UK ? No way. For all the gripes about not inflation proofing my pension, being here, with all it's carbuncles, is a thousand times better than living in my country of birth. But moaning a little is good for the soul, a bit like meditation.

You're right, life here in my 50s is far better than any moment I lived before coming here.

There's an old expat saying that goes something like " a bad day in Thailand is better than a good day back home".

My wife is the perfect example of why I love Thailand, and every day I wake up next to her I remember that. There's NO chance that I'd ever have met anyone like her back "home".

If I ever feel depressed about anything in Thailand, I just watch the Australian channel on tv and the feeling goes away.

BTW I've never never met one that "enjoyed" the lifestyle, though none of them seemed to despise it to the extent that popular anti Thai nightlife media would imply. Indeed, most seem to tolerate it much as one "tolerates" having to use the toilet every day, a necessary part of life, no more or less.

I've lived with two that chose it above all other ways of life, both being exceptionally pretty and having many choices in life..

They loved sex with different men (not all at the same time).

They loved taking 'Yabba' and dancing all night.

They loved drinking so much alcohol, they would lose consciousness.

Without wishing to poo poo your take on them ( I obviously don't know them ) I think it's significant that they used drugs and drank themselves unconcious. Many damaged women enter the business for a myriad of reasons; possibly they did it to afford the drugs.

I never went out with any that were so far into self harm, so can't really comment. I was pretty good at avoiding them.

Although it may happen occasionally, I would doubt that "normal" women get damaged by the lifestyle. Most dropped out when it got difficult. How many do you know that do it for more than a few years? I can't think of any. The one that lasted longest did it for 7 years, and she was pretty unusual.

BTW I don't think that wanting to have a lot of sex with different partners is a bad thing. If people are honest, good sex is a wonderful thing, and having sex with a new partner is even more exciting. Why else do millions of western men flock to Pattaya et al? It's not for the temples!

I dont know when the current rule about "no inflation increases" came about but thats the current state of affairs and whichever lot are in power do not seem interested in doing anything about it. If you are thinking you can not say and still get your increases is it a goer? Well some seem to think the Govt is not linked up in the admin dept to notice. The govt frighten people by telling them they will catch you and its fraud ( note several MP's have beem with their expenses claims and using their position ( fraud bit that is) Tv Licence letters ( oustide agancy Capita ) all desingned to hope the majority are honest. The chances are that someone will call a freephone number eventually and shop you, you can guess who but will never know for sure, so, what to do is up to you because when you start claiming that is likely when it will be earmarked for no increases, you might a couple of years grace whilst you decide where you will live most of the year but thats all.

Fairness has no place here, the current situation is as is. Get on with life, unless you know a Joanna Lumley who is willing to fight on your/our behalf becausr realistically that is the only way within the rules that things will change.

Come again?

Which particular word are you having difficulty understanding?

As a NZ chappie this is unlikely to have anyeffect on you anyway, maybe you should get out more and leave the keyboard, I am off for a bike ride now.

Point of order. I'm a British chappie. And a NZ chappie. But born and bred in whingeland.

Ok point of order accepted, appologies are required.

Spot on old chum

I had a final salary scheme with John Lewis, not a lot but better than a kick in the teeth and it rises every year with inflation so for that I am grateful to the Chairman, Charlie Mayfield who is good man and understands people's expectations, what is realistic in the world of today when FS schemes are closing down fast. For those who have been shafted I am sorry for you, you have the state to depend on and they are not there for you or for me, they are there for voters who have just arrived and sell them benefits for free to buy the votes.

I'm still not sure what you expect the government in the UK to do about the problems you perceive.

The ordinary UK guy in the street, worked, paid his dues, doesn't give a shit about Iraq or Afghanistan or folk trying to get into the UK for the freebee's, they just want to be looked after on retirement as is written in legislation. NOT want to listen about, OH the UK must now take care of poor EU countries or Africa, and some that retire on a state pension many years before UK folk, all <deleted>.

UK work force has worked, strike-d and fought for what it has BUT sadly taking care of the non natives with a problem is more important.

100% correct, transam

• Like 1

I wish that everybody who has a UK state pension was entitled to the same where ever they choose to live,but with the current economic struggle things are only going to get worse,I pay my taxes and NI in the UK still,I'm 32 and worked since I left school,but the government want me to work until I am 67 or likely 70 for my pension is that fair.

Rather than worry about if it's fair, make it a non-issue by making your own provisions for retirement and dont rely on the state. Then you can retire at whatever age you like.

The retirement age in the UK is NOT 67 or 70. The age at which you receive a state pension is 67 and rising. You can retire at any age you like.

I can't think of a better incentive for saving yourself, rather than be subject to the political and economic whims of governments 9000 miles away.

the state retirement age at the moment for men is 65, but changing in the near future to 66, and then 67. Women at present are on a sliding scale from 61, anyone born after 1/10/1954 will have to be at least 66.

Edited by steve187

I'm still not sure what you expect the government in the UK to do about the problems you perceive.

The ordinary UK guy in the street, worked, paid his dues, doesn't give a shit about Iraq or Afghanistan or folk trying to get into the UK for the freebee's, they just want to be looked after on retirement as is written in legislation. NOT want to listen about, OH the UK must now take care of poor EU countries or Africa, and some that retire on a state pension many years before UK folk, all <deleted>.

UK work force has worked, strike-d and fought for what it has BUT sadly taking care of the non natives with a problem is more important.

100% correct, transam

Understand exactly what you say but not sure about the legistation bit we seem to been shafted from boys and girls from elsewhere and am not sure when the law changed to allow this happen, anyone know when we got shafted in favour of new voting arrivees?

Ah, the good old law of the jungle. However, if the have's squeeze too hard, they're going to start a revolution, and how many stockbrokers know how to use military weapons to protect themselves!

No, I'm not 90- if I was I wouldn't be worried, as I'd be dead soon.

I've got potentially years and years of life left, but as my body is pretty stuffed after a lifetime of physically hard work, having a reasonable standard of living is going to be anything but easy.

Did you know that a worker in the docks of London in the 50's had an average lifespan of 49? Hard work takes it's toll. So I don't know why you felt it appropriate to speculate on my age. More appropriate to ask if I was capable of working or not.

Anyway, how many 60 year + old people do you see in good, non management jobs?

Not all of us were able to buy houses when they were cheap and sell them at the height of the housing bubble, to be able to live in Thai baht millionaire splendour!

BTW <get competitive or starve> The reason so many Thai girls end up in Pattaya et al is because they don't want to starve. Is that what you want for the girls of whatever western country you hail from?

No, the girls that end up in Pattaya cannot be bothered to work in a normal job. They prefer to lie on their backs and get paid for it.

I didn't sell a house and make a million. For all I know you have more money than I do. The difference between us is that I am not a bitter old man who blames everybody but himself for any misfortune he may have suffered. Of course it's the law of the jungle, it always has been. Don't be so weak minded.

EDIT: If people don't want to bring 2 children up on 200 baht a day there's a simple solution - don't breed.

• Like 1

You chaps who do not have a picture, get it sorted it out, I love my picture and I hope you do to, if you are not sure its York Station with a GNER train arriving, "Flying Scotsman" after my tour of local pubs with my friend of 30 years saving 3 DELTICS. Now heading back to Kings Cross on this train, bring back any memories?

Edited by exeter
  • Like 1

In terms of ensuring the prosperity of the working class, wealth creation is more important than redistribution of wealth. Our aim should be to creat opportunities for people to work and create wealth, and incentives for them to do so; opportunities and incentives to save prudently for their own retirement.

SC

• Like 1

the state retirement age at the moment for men is 65, but changing in the near future to 66, and then 67. Women at present are on a sliding scale from 61, anyone born after 1/10/1954 will have to be at least 66.

You are wrong, from the UK government website

http://www.direct.go...sion/DG_4017919

"Current State Pension age

For men born before 6 December 1953, the current State Pension age is 65.

For women born after 5 April 1950 but before 6 December 1953, their State Pension age is between 60 and 65."

I'm still hoping to retire early at 70

Hi all.

My friend in England paid for many years for a private pension with a large insurance company, , The deal was he paid a large sum every month and he would get 35,000 pound at age 65 and approx 250 pound per week,

When he was approaching 65 the news was on every day predicting doom and gloom for his pension provider company,

When he became due his pension , his lump sum dropped from 35.000 to 11.000 and his promised 250 per week became 60 per week, He told me that all together he had paid in more than 60 ,000 pound over the years,and wish he never bought it.

He had no legal recourse at the time, He knows that he and many thousand of other pensioners were well and truly shafted,.

phupaman

Then he didnt have a clue what he was buying. I suspect he wasn't 'told'he would get 35000 plus 250 per week. Instead, he would have been shown models that projected that amount based on certain assumptions to do with market performance of the underlying assets.

If he took his pension when the markets collapsed (during a sharemarket slump for example) that would affect his return. If he chose to realise the pension at that time rather than wait for a recovery, that's his choice.

I'm sorry but too many people complain about being shafted by pensions when what has really happened is that they simply either don't know or don't care or are too lazy to understand and actively monitor the most important financial decision of their lives.

I'm sorry too that you seem unable to post anything other than patronising, demeaning and frankly insulting responses, based apparently on "I suspect he wasn't told..." and "He didn't have a clue....".

Hi all.

My friend in England paid for many years for a private pension with a large insurance company, , The deal was he paid a large sum every month and he would get 35,000 pound at age 65 and approx 250 pound per week,

When he was approaching 65 the news was on every day predicting doom and gloom for his pension provider company,

When he became due his pension , his lump sum dropped from 35.000 to 11.000 and his promised 250 per week became 60 per week, He told me that all together he had paid in more than 60 ,000 pound over the years,and wish he never bought it.

He had no legal recourse at the time, He knows that he and many thousand of other pensioners were well and truly shafted,.

phupaman

Then he didnt have a clue what he was buying. I suspect he wasn't 'told'he would get 35000 plus 250 per week. Instead, he would have been shown models that projected that amount based on certain assumptions to do with market performance of the underlying assets.

If he took his pension when the markets collapsed (during a sharemarket slump for example) that would affect his return. If he chose to realise the pension at that time rather than wait for a recovery, that's his choice.

I'm sorry but too many people complain about being shafted by pensions when what has really happened is that they simply either don't know or don't care or are too lazy to understand and actively monitor the most important financial decision of their lives.

I'm sorry too that you seem unable to post anything other than patronising, demeaning and frankly insulting responses, based apparently on "I suspect he wasn't told..." and "He didn't have a clue....".

+1

Hi all.

phupaman

It seems that if he had understood what he was buying, then he would have known and understood the market risks to which he was exposed. Assuming that the person that sold him the pension product complied with the law in force, then (depending on when the pension was sold) he would have given examples of what the policy might return, given certain assumptions on investment performance (assumptions, I think, which are defined by the code of practice).

Some people seem all too ready to take offence where none was offered, which seems somewhat churlish, in my view.

Another point to raise is that as well as the disappointing performance of the investments, annuity rateshave dropped - partly due to lower returns on investments, but also due to increased longevity and changes in actuarial life expectancy

SC

Brits between the ages of 50 and 70 (that's the old gits whinging about pensions) have been raised in a welfare state, left school at a time of full employment, had free higher education if they had payed enough attention in school to pass selection, alternatively had access to apprenticeships, lived through decades of increasing personal wealth, rising house prices, had access to jobs with defined benefit pensions...basically this demographic group have had oportunity and wealth handed them on a plate.

If you're a Brit coming up to retirement and the only pension daving you have is the state pension then you must have ducked, ignored or squandered the multitude of oportunities handed to you over decades.

Now you want us to listen to "it's 'snot fair"

I am 56, 57 this year, product of a single parent family from a large council estate nearby Glasgow.

Father died when mother had just turned 38. She was too young to recieve a widows pension so had to work like hell. Full-time job during the day, part-time at night and a job on a Saturday.

Were the youngest, had an elder brother and sister, we have all done well by ourselves. Not by having a welfare state to support us, rather by seeing that you had to take care of yourself and not rely on others. Joining the Merchant navy at 22yr then going offshore 40yrs has allowed me to plan my retirement outwith any government handout. Only 18 months left and its tend the fields, fish and fruit.

Hi all.

phupaman

It seems that if he had understood what he was buying, then he would have known and understood the market risks to which he was exposed. Assuming that the person that sold him the pension product complied with the law in force, then (depending on when the pension was sold) he would have given examples of what the policy might return, given certain assumptions on investment performance (assumptions, I think, which are defined by the code of practice).

Some people seem all too ready to take offence where none was offered, which seems somewhat churlish, in my view.

Another point to raise is that as well as the disappointing performance of the investments, annuity rateshave dropped - partly due to lower returns on investments, but also due to increased longevity and changes in actuarial life expectancy

SC

My problem with Bendix's post quoted was his attitude which is always supercilious; the anonymity that a forum such as this provides frequently provides the bully with the opportunity to demean others. I cannot accept that
  • Like 1

My problem with Bendix's post quoted was his attitude which is always supercilious; the anonymity that a forum such as this provides frequently provides the bully with the opportunity to demean others. I cannot accept that

We often infer from others' posts intent or opinion that was not implied. For that reason I try (not always successfully) to refrain from commenting on whether I find other people's style offensive*, and to accept such criticism of my posts as the simple misunderstanding that it probably wasn't.

* obviously, with the exception of bloody walls of text with no punctuation or capitalisation; or ridiculous txtspk or 'youth' vocabulary...

SC

Brits between the ages of 50 and 70 (that's the old gits whinging about pensions) have been raised in a welfare state, left school at a time of full employment, had free higher education if they had payed enough attention in school to pass selection, alternatively had access to apprenticeships, lived through decades of increasing personal wealth, rising house prices, had access to jobs with defined benefit pensions...basically this demographic group have had oportunity and wealth handed them on a plate.

If you're a Brit coming up to retirement and the only pension daving you have is the state pension then you must have ducked, ignored or squandered the multitude of oportunities handed to you over decades.

I am 56, 57 this year, product of a single parent family from a large council estate nearby Glasgow.

Father died when mother had just turned 38. She was too young to recieve a widows pension so had to work like hell. Full-time job during the day, part-time at night and a job on a Saturday.

Were the youngest, had an elder brother and sister, we have all done well by ourselves. Not by having a welfare state to support us, rather by seeing that you had to take care of yourself and not rely on others. Joining the Merchant navy at 22yr then going offshore 40yrs has allowed me to plan my retirement outwith any government handout. Only 18 months left and its tend the fields, fish and fruit.

Good for you, I am sure that you will not be rash with what you have accumulated with your plans so enjoy a long and happy retirement with a very little help from the state! If only more had done the same.

]My problem with Bendix's post quoted was his attitude which is always supercilious; the anonymity that a forum such as this provides frequently provides the bully with the opportunity to demean others. I cannot accept that

Get over yourself, princess. It's a discussion forum.

But thanks for your constructive criticism and feedback. I will take it on board, consider it carefully, and then promptly ignore it.

Edited by bendix

]My problem with Bendix's post quoted was his attitude which is always supercilious; the anonymity that a forum such as this provides frequently provides the bully with the opportunity to demean others. I cannot accept that

But thanks for your constructive criticism and feedback. I will take it on board, consider it carefully, and then promptly ignore it.

Thank you - I expected no less from you

Phew, that was a very close shave, in my case then ! partytime2.gif

erm ... assuming that's DDMMYYY and not MMDDYYY ? ermm.gif

Edited by Ricardo

I think bendix ''was'' someone else. Ooooooooooooooooooh w00t.gif

I'm very pleased to hear that your hard work and plans are working out for you.

If you read my posts here on this thread and elsewhere on TV you'll see I absolutely believe in people not blaming where they started, but getting on and taking charge of their own life.

It doesn't always work out and if we are honest we all need a break somewhere down the line to get on in life.

I love to hear of people getting off their ass and taking personal responsibility for their own life. I like it more if they admit that it was hard work AND a bit of luck/someone gave them a break. But best of all is people who have climbed the ladder, accept that they got where they are in life because they had some good luck along the way and then turn to give others a helping hand.

What I facking hate is the "I'm entitled" attitude that welfare and government hand outs breed. All rights and no responsibility.

Edited by GuestHouse
  • Like 1

I'm very pleased to hear that your hard work and plans are working out for you.

If you read my posts here on this thread and elsewhere on TV you'll see I absolutely believe in people not blaming where they started, but getting on and taking charge of their own life.

It doesn't always work out and if we are honest we all need a break somewhere down the line to get on in life.

I love to hear of people getting off their ass and taking personal responsibility for their own life. I like it more if they admit that it was hard work AND a bit of luck/someone gave them a break. But best of all is people who have climbed the ladder, accept that they got where they are in life because they had some good luck along the way and then turn to give others a helping hand.

What I facking hate is the "I'm entitled" attitude that welfare and government hand outs breed. All rights and no responsibility.

Ha, so whats your opinion that l did all that's necessary but lost most cos my wife wanted to tour the world with another guy and took most of my financial and home building in the settlement.

Some here are blind to individual cases. fuc_k, l get angry with some snotty nosed do gooders.

I think bendix ''was'' someone else. Ooooooooooooooooooh w00t.gif

I wish I knew what the hell you're talking about. Then I could reply accordingly. But I don't. So I won't

Ha, so whats your opinion that l did all that's necessary but lost most cos my wife wanted to tour the world with another guy and took most of my financial and home building in the settlement.

Some here are blind to individual cases. fuc_k, l get angry with some snotty nosed do gooders.

I see three mistakes here.

1. Choosing the wrong wife

2. Having made mistake number 1compounding it by choosing the wrong lawyer

3. Having made mistake numbers 1 and 2 resorting to the argument that your problems are caused by other people.

Mistake number 3 is the big one, it hangs round your neck like a dead albatross - Move on, get on and stop whinging here on TV every other week about the choices you made/did not make.

And as for "Do Gooder", I'm not that, I don't think there is any point in doing anything for anyone other than giving them a chance - Thereafter it is up to them what they make of it.

Some will get off their ass and do something for themselves, others will not, usually resorting to giving a list of excuses that point at other people.

Edited by GuestHouse