You Think Thailand Is Bad? Try The Uk Pensions Lot!

msg362

I have lived in Germany for 20 years and have been a freelance interpreter for the last 30 years. My British pension is derisory but I was never so naive as to believe the government would keep me in comfort in my dotage, so I saved whenever I earned. Consequently, I have enough to get by and I still work part time, because I want to. My advice to younger people, prepare to take care of yourselves now because when you reach 65 you will become a very low priority case in the eyes of the government du jour..

PS: BENDIX; HOW YA DOING?

Is GBP 100 per week a derisory amount or have you not paid a full stamp ?

I agree that looking at OAP payments as a 'bonus' is the way to go - there are, of course, people in Thailand living on ONLY that payment.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is probably too late but I'll tell you the advice my father gave me, the same advice I give to my children.

"do not expect the government to do anything for you - don't put your hand out unless it is the last option you have and if you do put your hand out be aware anything the government does give you comes with barbed hooks attached'"

Oh... and .... "Pay attention at school"

S'funny but my Dad only said "you'll always know who your Mother is"???????????????

This is probably too late but I'll tell you the advice my father gave me, the same advice I give to my children.

"do not expect the government to do anything for you - don't put your hand out unless it is the last option you have and if you do put your hand out be aware anything the government does give you comes with barbed hooks attached'"

Oh... and .... "Pay attention at school"

S'funny but my Dad only said "you'll always know who your Mother is"???????????????

Maybe your old man had a reason for saying that.

• 2 weeks later...

Knowing I was going to reach State Pension age in March, I sent off my claim form the pension people kindly sent me at the beginning of January, thinking a pension book would arrive on my mat last week and expecting to pop off to Nana Post Office to cash it, I was a tad disappointed when it didn't arrive.

I don't need the money desperately, after all I've managed without it for five years, but they have told me I'm entitled to it, so I might as well have it, I'm thinking that I can get a lot of somtam for 5,000 Baht a week.

I called them today as I was concerned that they may not have received it, there was a tick box which I duly ticked confirming that I would like acknowledgement of receipt and as they hadn't done so I assumed they hadn't received it, apparantly that tick box shouldn't there as acknowledging receipt could delay paying pensions. But no, they received it on the 10th January, well done Thai/UK postal systems, I only sent it on the 5th, unfortunately they haven't processed it yet, it will take another eight weeks.

Good job I'm not on my uppers.