After 5 years of having a joint account at TMB now that it's time to renew the only ATM card they allowed on the account originally TMB have changed their policy and will not issue any ATM card on a joint account.

This has been confirmed by TMB head office in an email so not just a mistake by the teller.

SO open a new account in your name, close the joint account.

Hardly worth posting about.

Just some info for anyone that has a joint account with TMB, or might be thinking of opening one.

What have you got against information?

It's more that I have something against joint accounts.

Don't see the point of them, if I earned the money then I dole it out and anyone that wants a share has to ask and justify EACH TIME they want some..

just as a further note. I have the same issue with our Thanachart Bank and KTB accounts(no ATM/Debit on joint account) but had no problem with our Kasikorn Bank accounts. All are "And" Jt accounts.

And I've read on these pages of someone opening a joint account at BAngkok Bank in the last couple of weeks and getting 2 ATM cards.

Are you saying TMB will not issue two ATMs cards even for an account opened by a husband and wife? That is, one card for the husband and one card for the wife?

Seems like such a policy would drive away many joint account customers (millions of married folks or whoever just wanted to open a joint account with someone else). Something seems missing from this story.

We have had joint account with two cards for the last 15 years with Bangkok Bank. But there are two types of joint account and one only allows access to funds with both parties signing so suspect if that type cards would not be issued.

There is a difference between the "and" accounts and the "or" accounts. The "and" account requires both holders to sign off on a withdraw.(e.g YOU "and" ME) The "or" accounts can be accesses individually(e.g YOU "or" ME). In theory there are no questions, but I have a debit card on a "and" joint account with Kasikorn. Although, it is possible that the wife had to sign a form to allow it. It was all done while the account was being opened so not completely sure. Our joint accounts with other banks were a no-go.

Edited by CMSteve

To confirm the advice given by CMSteve. At BBL we will open joint accounts and issue ATM cards. However, if the account requires that all parties must sign the withdrawals then we cannot issue an ATM card which in effect allows one party to access the account.

• Like 1

Are you saying TMB will not issue two ATMs cards even for an account opened by a husband and wife? That is, one card for the husband and one card for the wife?

Seems like such a policy would drive away many joint account customers (millions of married folks or whoever just wanted to open a joint account with someone else). Something seems missing from this story.

No, I'm saying that they won't even issue ONE card for a joint account.

When we opened the account 5 years ago they refused to give us 2 ATM cards but now it's time to renew the 1 they did issue and they refuse.

It's an A or B account as we have both in the past withdrawn money by ourselves, even yesterday when my wife took the money out to put in her account which she had to open because they won't give us an ATM for the joint account.

If your account is just a standard savings account versus some other type of savings account with certain restrictions, I think I would be saying Goodbye to TMB....and say Hello to Bangkok Bank, K-Bank, etc. From looking at the TMB web site they do show several different types of savings accounts and some do not seem to offer ATM/debit cards...you might want to confirm exactly what type of savings account you have with TMB. Maybe you have a type of account that did offer cards when you signed up for the account years ago, but the policy has now changed on that type of savings account....but cards still available on other types of accounts.

TMB website: Link

Edited by Pib