Songkran 2012

parbeau

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The best time to go would be the last night, you only really need one day/night to get over Songkran there... so I think it's night of the 19th the last night, and walking st is packed with mayhem.. it's ok for one night, but anything more than 2-3 days, you get sick of getting drenched by icy cold water.

Contrary to the usual whingers I enjoy song kran in Pattaya, yes it is crazy and yes many farangs are annoying. But that's what it is and if your prepared and like a good laugh you'll have a great time. I only wish they'd ban selling blocks of ice.

And for those who seem to find joy in knocking everything about Pattaya, why not leave and go home.

• Like 1

Contrary to the usual whingers I enjoy song kran in Pattaya, yes it is crazy and yes many farangs are annoying. But that's what it is and if your prepared and like a good laugh you'll have a great time. I only wish they'd ban selling blocks of ice.

And for those who seem to find joy in knocking everything about Pattaya, why not leave and go home.

Pattaya is my home. Just like the residents of New Orleans leave town for Mardi Gras, my family plans to vacate pattaya to the countryside for the festivals. By all means you stay and enjoy yourself.

• Like 1

Pattaya is my home. Just like the residents of New Orleans leave town for Mardi Gras, my family plans to vacate pattaya to the countryside for the festivals. By all means you stay and enjoy yourself.

Good point, I agree with you. I lived in Pattaya for 8 years and now live up North. As I alluded to, I still enjoy having fun at SongKran in Pattaya, but living amongst it would also drive me nuts. Nice to visit for a day or two.

The best time to go would be the last night, you only really need one day/night to get over Songkran there... so I think it's night of the 19th the last night, and walking st is packed with mayhem.. it's ok for one night, but anything more than 2-3 days, you get sick of getting drenched by icy cold water.

You can handle 2 - 3 days of being drenched?

Good time to stay well away. Every idiot converges into Pattaya for their idea of fun, soaking anyone in sight and especially drenching people dressed up who dont want any part of it.

And what is the idea of using ice water? There can only be one reason - to upset/annoy and cause as much discomfort as possible. Room temperature water is one thing - ice water is an attack.

Edited by tropo

I have lived here for 11 years and my wife and i hate Songkran but we dont whine we just get out of here for 10 days and let the people who enjoy it crack on.

I hate it, but my wife loves it, but I just let her go and enjoy herself, and that's for us the way the cookie crumbles

Try taking your wife/girlfriend to work on a motorbike during this wonderful enjoyable time and see how much you like it then. Not knocking Pattaya or the life in general just the morons who insist on soaking people who actually have to work for a living on their way to work.

Our school gives us 10 days off during the summer school session just so we don't have to deal with trying to get back and forth to work through all the stupid ignorant butt heads who can't see someone is dressed up.

I want to get a paint ball gun and when I go out after dark - when they are supposed to stop - and get soaked I can painfully blast the azzwhole with a paint ball.

Oddly enough, I used to love Songkran but now I can't stand it anymore, it's annoying.

Thanks for the tip-off, I was considering going to Pattaya around that time but will now wait until the 20th.

I've lived in Hua Hin for the past 11 months, so experienced Songkran here last year vs living in Jomtien the previous six years.

Night and day. Hua Hin: ONE evening! Even on that day I was out wandering around town mid-day and didn't get wet. There were a couple Thai kids on my soi with small water pistols, but they were respectful and didn't squirt at adults.

So for those of you Pattaya denizens who despise the Songkran period as much as I did, consider a little vacation across the Gulf in Hua Hin? (Probably Cha-Am as well, but I'm not sure.)

Edited by wpcoe

I used to love the Songkran as well but not when its going on for a week or more.

They will very likely start at certain beer bars on Beach Road and the sois near by on around

maybe the 10-11th and then it will get worse and worse and spread out until the big day on the 19th

where there will be water splashing all over the place.

2 days is okay but should be strictly enforced, if they wants to get wet before the official

days, go for a swim from the beach or in the pool.

Okay I can see a first time tourist to Thailand find it all very exiting and all, but actually many are

getting very angry when sitting on a bath bus on Beach Road and suddenly getting hit with water

(maybe cold) when they don't expect it.

Those early starters properly find it very funny to splays mostly dry people that try to do their daily

things, work and so on, and they can get away with it mostly, but be aware of some of the Russians,

I noticed a few last year that got really really angry, and it almost came to fist fighting.

Then on the official days its suddenly no so fun anymore because EVERYBODY are wet.

Thankfully I will be leaving for 2 month work overseas shortly so I wont be here this year.

Enjoy.

Did Songkran a few years in Khon Kaen.

I liked it there but not in Pattaya. It's too extreme in Pattaya.

Ice and soap in the water destroy the fun for me.

I have planned my holiday specially to avoid Songkran; arriving on 11/03/2011 but out of there on 07/04/2011.

Songkran is a lovely holiday when experienced out in the country where it's still a very respectful event. The way that the young and old are involved is a beautiful thing. What happens here in Pattaya is none of that. I would seriously recommend to anyone that has only experienced Songkran in Pattaya or even those that are very negative towards this holiday to out into the country and see how it's traditionally celebrated. If will give you a very different experience indeed.

• Like 1

My initiation to Songkran Pattaya-Style was on a baht bus down Jomtien Beach Road heading to dinner, in nice casual clothes. Some charming person threw a bucket of water at the bus as we passed, not only drenching me, but ruining the clothes. There was something in the water that left white stains that I could not remove from my shirt and pants. Lovely. Yeah. Hurray. Let's party. Not.

• Like 2

Yeah me too...

Cant stand it, especially what I call "Songkran Farangs". I wonder if they know what they are celebrating?

There's nothing worse than to be sat drying off - nearly getting there and then drenched again with icy cold water by some drunken moronic farang whom is having an absolute riot of a time.

Some of them are plain sick, you see some of them shooting water at a girls ass or pussy and breasts, and I last year saw some guy outside a bar in Jomtien doing that to a young girl of about 12.

On top of that, it fuc_ks your phone, wallet, cigarettes, lighter and paper money in your pocket if you dont carry half a dozen plastic bags with you or be forced to buy a waterproof pouch from a hawker.

Yes, I dont like it.

• Like 1

Yeah me too...

Cant stand it, especially what I call "Songkran Farangs". I wonder if they know what they are celebrating?

There's nothing worse than to be sat drying off - nearly getting there and then drenched again with icy cold water by some drunken moronic farang whom is having an absolute riot of a time.

Some of them are plain sick, you see some of them shooting water at a girls ass or pussy and breasts, and I last year saw some guy outside a bar in Jomtien doing that to a young girl of about 12.

On top of that, it fuc_ks your phone, wallet, cigarettes, lighter and paper money in your pocket if you dont carry half a dozen plastic bags with you or be forced to buy a waterproof pouch from a hawker.

Yes, I dont like it.

Well simply go somewhere else this year as it will be the same as last year, what is is with people that relentlessly complain about something, go home or go somewhere else, get it? You only mention farangs what about the Thais? oh they really care if you don't want to be wet or not, lmao.

Yeah me too...

Yes, I dont like it.

Well simply go somewhere else this year as it will be the same as last year, what is is with people that relentlessly complain about something, go home or go somewhere else, get it? You only mention farangs what about the Thais? oh they really care if you don't want to be wet or not, lmao.

My comment was not meant to be a thesis on Songkran.

I was adding my thoughts on the behaviour of certain groups of farangs - as mentioned earlier down the thread by several other board members.

I can do without you telling me to go somewhere else considering I have lived in Thailand over 12 years now.

Edited by Docwho
  • Like 1

Yeah me too...

Yes, I dont like it.

My comment was not meant to be a thesis on Songkran.

I was adding my thoughts on the behaviour of certain groups of farangs - as mentioned earlier down the thread by several other board members.

I can do without you telling me to go somewhere else considering I have lived in Thailand over 12 years now.

Battle of the Newbies!