Songkran 2012

parbeau

@

JSixpack

This is now 3 times you have not answered the simple questions I asked which will determine whether you are a visitor or Thai national, nor have you given me an example of a legal right you have as a visitor to this country to change policy in regards to Songkran.

Answering your questions would merely encourage your erroneous belief that they are relevant to the point I was making and that you entirely missed, as it seems you can't grasp that, yes, I'm only talking about opinions--as we do here, besides exchanging useful info such as on times, places, and coping strategies.

It's just better not to aid and assist illogic and irrationality when possible.

In next year's Songkran FAQ, though, I'll be sure to note your one major revelation to us all, one that we had never known before and badly needed, that farangs can't vote in Thai elections.

"yes, I'm only talking about opinions" it was a struggle but you got there, well done.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good so now we got that sorted out we can move on.

No more bickering or fighting please or there will be Songkran holidays coming up for selected members

I think it's mainly the old farangs who complain, Songkhran is for the young or young at heart, not the serial whiners on Internet forums.

It's not only the old farangs who complain, it's also the younger farangs who needed hospital treatment because the so "called young at heart" didn't play by the rules, because during these days they think that's allowed.

I still have a scar above my eye, because one of those "young at heart" farang was throwing buckets of water at us, but he accidentally forgot to take out the Lumps of Ice.

jap.gif

Edited by MJCM

I've lived here for 8 years or more, I forget...maybe brain damage from a life of drug & alcohol abuse,....I don't like Songkran. I live south of Pattaya & have stocked up on all essentials for a week of watching movies, reading, surfing the net, etc. If I run out of beer, my wife makes beer & pizza runs. Actually, I do this when it is not Songkran.

Here we go - the annual songkran thread kicks into gear guitar.gif

Yeah, looks like it. OK, let's DO IT AGAIN!!!

Need a sticky w/ a FAQ (or FAI [frequently asserted ignorance] or FAHA [frequently asserted hot air] )in this forum to avoid so much repetition of ignorance and hot air. Something like this:

SONGKRAN FAQ

Q: It stops at 6 PM

A. No, it doesn't stop at 6 PM. Try 11 PM.

Q: Motorcyclists are safe cause they wear helmets.

A. No, roads are slippery, cyclists get hit w/ blasts of water and ice making control difficult, their shields get pasted over so they can't see. It's dangerous. Have you had a motorbike accident yet? No?

Q. Just ride w/ your car windows rolled up.

A. No, the windshield gets powdered and pasted so the driver can't see. Repeat this 10 times: Some of us don't own cars. Some of our armchair Songkran experts here do drive around in their cars, though. They don't really participate, just watch.

Q: It's harmless fun

A: No, vehicle accidents do happen because of the water, powder, and ice throwing. One TV member almost lost an eye to infection. Eye and ear infections are not uncommon. Much of the water is quite filthy.

Q: It's a Thai custom, farangs should have no say

A: Thais force the farangs to participate whether they want to or not; ergo, they have a say

Q: If you don't like Songkran, you're a stick-in-the-mud

A: Lots of cool people don't like the inconvenience of Pattaya Songkran for SEVEN days. We live here and just need to live our lives. TWO days at most would be fine.

Q: Saying anything against Songkran is a whinge

A: Facts are facts. And if one has the right to chortle and gurgle in praise of Songkran, and jerk off over a water gun, one also has the right to express one's legitimate displeasure at being forcibly inconvenienced and having to spend time and money leaving the area.

Q: Where is the best place to spend Songkran?

A: Vietnam, Phils, Malaysia, definitely, in our neighborhood. Cambodia has got a favorable mention.

Q: Why does Songkran last so long in Pattaya?

A. It is usually started early by mobs of young farang idiots in the bars, notably in Sois 7 and 8. These hooligans live for Songkran season. Some will be posting in this thread. The vast Pattaya bar scene isn't noted for polite, considerate, civilized behavior; consider the type of workers and customers; reality strongly asserts itself at Songkran.

Q: Songran is a good laugh

A: Lots of people, notably those living here, aren't laughing. We've been through multiple Songkrans; we know quite well what it's all about. Women don't think being groped is a good laugh either.

Q: Why is it hooliganism?

A. Simple because the hooligans force everyone to participate whether they want to or not. And they attempt to injure their victims if possible. Hooligan-on-hooligan would be fine, have at it.

Q: What can those who DON'T want to participate do to avoid Songkran?

A: Hole up for a week, go out only late at night on furtive expeditions to Foodland or Best; find a town on a different Songkran cycle; leave Thailand. That's ALL.

Q: If you don't like Songkran, you don't like Pattaya and Thailand

A. No, most of us living here like Pattaya and Thailand. We don't have to like EVERYTHING though. Me, I'm a big supporter of Pattaya, love the city except for the traffic and SONGKRAN.

Q: But I get to see women in wet T-shirts at Songrkan

A. You can see plenty of those with no T-shirts in the go-go bars anytime. No big deal.

Well said....everything covered here

• Like 2

Some you posters are really getting heated up.I believe the 18th and the 19th would be more then enough for songkran in pattaya.A week is just plain stupid.And tropo yes one day it will change but that still could be ten years away

Edited by Markland

I've lived here for 8 years or more, I forget...maybe brain damage from a life of drug & alcohol abuse,....I don't like Songkran. I live south of Pattaya & have stocked up on all essentials for a week of watching movies, reading, surfing the net, etc. If I run out of beer, my wife makes beer & pizza runs. Actually, I do this when it is not Songkran.

clap2.gif

• Like 1

Just saw the monks from the local wat drive by on a pickup with the Buddha statue, villagers came after the pickup, including the lady of songkran in full makeup and traditional Thai gear riding a buffalo, pretty cool. The only time I've seen water being splashed in here and even that was done only on the statues and the monks, or by the monks on villagers wanting to be cleansed. That's the way it should be.

Of course the morlam/water mayhem is available too, but you need to especially go there, limited area.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Wouldn't it be hilarious if the Dads Army Songkran Haters joined up in full force armed with water pistols, knobbly knees and wellies to seek "payback" for making 10 days of their lives miserable every year in Pattaya. They could plan calculated water attacks on the very people that make their lives hell and you never know there might be the odd smile or two, now there's a thought.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if the Dads Army Songkran Haters joined up in full force armed with water pistols, knobbly knees and wellies to seek "payback" for making 10 days of their lives miserable every year in Pattaya. They could plan calculated water attacks on the very people that make their lives hell and you never know there might be the odd smile or two, now there's a thought.

I don't think you quite understand the deal. Songkran haters have either left the country, or they're relaxing at home. You're either a newbie and haven't had enough yet, or you're a very easily amused drunk. Most normal people find a day or two of playing with water sufficient. Even the Thai residents can't stand the ongoing onslaught when they're trying to go about their daily business. If you get your head out of your bottle you may notice that.

• Like 2

I don't think you quite understand the deal. Songkran haters have either left the country, or they're relaxing at home. You're either a newbie and haven't had enough yet, or you're a very easily amused drunk. Most normal people find a day or two of playing with water sufficient. Even the Thai residents can't stand the ongoing onslaught when they're trying to go about their daily business. If you get your head out of your bottle you may notice that.

Most normal people do not suffer from problematic internet use which is a clinical disorder requiring treatment. laugh.png

Most normal people do not suffer from problematic internet use which is a clinical disorder requiring treatment. laugh.png

(A change of subject meaning you have no defense for the nonsense you just posted)

There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that if there was a forum for Thai Pattaya residents, the complaints about Songkran would eclipse the odd thread on here by an order of magnitude.

Over the last 3 days I have done an experiment. With my garden hose I have sprayed hundreds of motorcyclists who ride past my place. It's a back street and I'm the only one "playing", so they don't expect to get wet. Mainly they're staff working in the Cosy Beach area. Probably about 50% put their hands up asking me not to wet them (my wetting approximates some rain - no high pressure stuff - no ice water), in which case I don't. Not many are enjoying getting wet - that's for certain.

Most Thais only enjoy the main Songkran Day when everyone goes out to play. You can see the look on the motorbike taxi boys' faces. They're saying "I cannot wait for this crap to be over with".

...and we haven't started talking about the Thai business people who lose a lot of money over the 10 days due to idiot Farang going too far. They grin and bear it as Thais do so well - but don't fool yourself into thinking they enjoy it.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

Yeah if anyone ever wants to challenge Pattaya's Mayor Poster Boy they might consider running on the Pattaya Songkran Is Too dam_n Long Party ticket. I am sure that's an issue the Thai resident people could get behind!

"I am sure that's an issue the Thai resident people could get behind!"

Progress !!

Except I would add the words only for and replace could with to.

Edited by rinteln

All, look at at this awesome vid of the crazier side of the party throughout Thailand...

All the bad (and 'bad') things come along.

This from Thai TV.. Mannn... :

http://youtu.be/GXAqqgbz9c8

How can anyone like Pattaya, (also rather infamous for pretty much the exact same things shown in the video), but not the scenes in that vid.. wink.png

Sure there's inappropriate dancing, drinking in public, some kerfuffles, bad fashion taste, WORSE fashion taste, vehicular insanity.. but nothing that you wouldn't see daily around Beach Road..

God I miss it already. Maybe it's because I'm from a place where nothing ever happens. And 'something' is always better than 'nothing', even if it raises your eyebrows on occasion.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai