Songkran 2012

parbeau

Most local Thais I speak to don't like Pattaya style Songkran. The violence of it. The absurd length of it. The fact that it doesn't stop at sundown. In fact, they HATE it just as I do. They make sure to tell me (as if I didn't know) that was goes on in Pattaya is not a "real" Thai Songkran. Some of them blame, you guesed it, f-rangs. Yes, you're right. I'm not a barfly.

Well that's up for debate as Thais say different things. I'm sure we could all say we speak to Thais that also like it. Im also sure the Thais who benefit from the increased revenue will also like it.

My point earlier is its not our business as visitors and is up to the Thais to change it if they want.

Perhaps the extremity of Songkran in Pattaya is not normal Songkran but then how does one decide what isn't extreme, what isn't dangerous, what getting wet is. Reading some of these posts on this thread many foreigners to this country think they should be deciding that.

We live in luxury here in Thailand I am so surprised 10 bloody days of putting people out of their routine in a foreign country gets this much hatred going.

You haven't been here very long rintein, soon as the saying ' we are guests" comes out you just know a load of <deleted> will follow, you didn't disprove my theory! look around you and come up with something original..............suk-san wan songkran Krap

Always love it when someone has to use abuse, it means you have them.

So you are a Thai national then ? It was a simple question.

Are you able to vote ?

Can you obtain a Thai passport ?

On what grounds do you think you can justify demanding any policy change in Thailand. I would love to hear ???? . I will take no answer as you cant answer.

I would guess the answers to those questions will be : NO, no, no and ....................well ill wait with anticipation.

Infact as a open question can anyone tell me a single legal right that a non Thai national has in the country in regards to politics and/or policy change by councils, governments, districts, anything.

Edited by rinteln

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't think the issue with hating SongKran has anything to do with getting wet (We get wet every day in the shower (I hope so wink.png), it has to do with the violence, the disrespect and people who try to do bodily harm, because they think they can during these insane couple of days.

Fair enough but those people are not in the majority.

Well if people on here are so obsessed with things being the "normal Thai" way I wonder if you guys would like everything else we love about Pattaya to become traditional Thai. We all know that would change alot around here. Any takers for a normal Thai life adhered to 100%, or are we just cherry picking what we want !!! Yeah thought so.

Unfortunately those people are in a majority on Soi 3,4,5,6,7,8.9.10.11,12, 13, 13/1, 13/2, WS, Soi Bukaow .

// start rant

Why don't people get it, Pattaya isn't Thailand, Pattaya is a surrogate City which caters to Foreigner because with out the Foreigners (Europeans, Americans, Russians, Japanese, Korean etc etc etc) this city wouldn't even exists.

Go and visit Nong Bua Lamphu or any other of the 74 Provinces (Minus Chonburi and Nong Bua Lamphu) to see what real Thailand is like and how they play Songkran over there

// rant over

:jap:

I don't think the issue with hating SongKran has anything to do with getting wet (We get wet every day in the shower (I hope so wink.png), it has to do with the violence, the disrespect and people who try to do bodily harm, because they think they can during these insane couple of days.

Well if people on here are so obsessed with things being the "normal Thai" way I wonder if you guys would like everything else we love about Pattaya to become traditional Thai. We all know that would change alot around here. Any takers for a normal Thai life adhered to 100%, or are we just cherry picking what we want !!! Yeah thought so.

Unfortunately those people are in a majority on Soi 3,4,5,6,7,8.9.10.11,12, 13, 13/1, 13/2, WS, Soi Bukaow .

// start rant

Why don't people get it, Pattaya isn't Thailand, Pattaya is a surrogate City which caters to Foreigner because with out the Foreigners (Europeans, Americans, Russians, Japanese, Korean etc etc etc) this city wouldn't even exists.

Go and visit Nong Bua Lamphu or any other of the 74 Provinces (Minus Chonburi and Nong Bua Lamphu) to see what real Thailand is like and how they play Songkran over there

// rant over

jap.gif

I agree with the observation.

So can I take it from that you want Pattaya to be like normal Thai or you don't, or would you just like some things to be normal Thai but other things non normal Thai ?

And yes I have visited other provinces, plenty of people getting wet.

Edited by rinteln

// start rant

// rant over

jap.gif

I agree with the observation.

So can I take it from that you want Pattaya to be like normal Thai or you don't, or would you just like some things to be normal Thai but other things non normal Thai ?

And yes I have visited other provinces, plenty of people getting wet.

Pattaya will never ever be normal Thai, how could it ? Friends coming over for a visit, they just care about Bars / Women and when trying to get them over to a Visit to a rural village and experience the real Thai life, is met with a lot of this and that and always ends up with excuses not to go.

And the rant didn't have anything to do with something you said, just something that was bothering me a long time ago already.

Respect

:jap:

// And now back to original Topic SongKran 2012 :D

"Well if people on here are so obsessed with things being the "normal Thai" way"

Throwing buckets of sewer water and white powder in the faces of people who clearly do not want to participate in the mayhem-- or trying to cause bike riders to crash their motorbikes, is clearly not the "normal Thai way", yet it exists for many days in Pattaya each year.

In any other culture around the world, this insanity would be met with strong opposition from law enforcement and ended in short order. Only in Pattaya . . .

post-53404-0-95641900-1334403660_thumb.j

• Like 1

"Well if people on here are so obsessed with things being the "normal Thai" way"

Throwing buckets of sewer water and white powder in the faces of people who clearly do not want to participate in the mayhem-- or trying to cause bike riders to crash their motorbikes, is clearly not the "normal Thai way", yet it exists for many days in Pattaya each year.

In any other culture around the world, this insanity would be met with strong opposition from law enforcement and ended in short order. Only in Pattaya . . .

You are totally correct and what you have described is not the normal Thai. So I take it you want Pattaya to be normal Thai and everything that goes with it ? Or just Songkran ? Or maybe a few cherry picked things ? Tried to get a couple of people to answer this but no luck yet.

Yeah me too...

Cant stand it, especially what I call "Songkran Farangs". I wonder if they know what they are celebrating?

There's nothing worse than to be sat drying off - nearly getting there and then drenched again with icy cold water by some drunken moronic farang whom is having an absolute riot of a time.

Some of them are plain sick, you see some of them shooting water at a girls ass or pussy and breasts, and I last year saw some guy outside a bar in Jomtien doing that to a young girl of about 12.

On top of that, it fuc_ks your phone, wallet, cigarettes, lighter and paper money in your pocket if you dont carry half a dozen plastic bags with you or be forced to buy a waterproof pouch from a hawker.

Yes, I dont like it.

Well simply go somewhere else this year as it will be the same as last year, what is is with people that relentlessly complain about something, go home or go somewhere else, get it? You only mention farangs what about the Thais? oh they really care if you don't want to be wet or not, lmao.

A most rediculous argument,if you don't like being assaulted "Go home" Go somewhere else"

And would you tell the person who has just been mugged to "Go home" "Go somewhere else" if they dont like it???

get it?

Edited by MAJIC

You are totally correct and what you have described is not the normal Thai. So I take it you want Pattaya to be normal Thai and everything that goes with it ? Or just Songkran ? Or maybe a few cherry picked things ? Tried to get a couple of people to answer this but no luck yet.

I want it to be a THREE day "festival" not a 10 day nightmare. Good enough answer?
  • Like 1

I think I answered your question ?

Pattaya will never ever be Thai, it is Thai because it's located in Thailand, but from the outside it isn't Thai. Ever heard of a Contradictio in terminis ?

"So I take it you want Pattaya to be normal Thai and everything that goes with it ? Or just Songkran ... ? Tried to get a couple of people to answer this but no luck yet."

That's because your question doesn't make any sense -- if you can't decipher the difference between normal civil behavior and respect for others-- and the insanity that occurs in Pattaya each year, no answer to your question would be suitable to you.

• Like 1

"So I take it you want Pattaya to be normal Thai and everything that goes with it ? Or just Songkran ... ? Tried to get a couple of people to answer this but no luck yet."

That's because your question doesn't make any sense -- if you can't decipher the difference between normal civil behavior and respect for others-- and the insanity that occurs in Pattaya each year, no answer to your question would be suitable to you.

I don't really see how the question is hard. Ill make it simpler. Do you want Pattaya to be like a normal Thai village or do you want it like it is now ? Or would like to choose some bits of it you like or dont like ? Sorry cant make it more simple than that.

So you cant answer the question then....lol.

Edited by rinteln

Pattaya will never ever be Thai, it is Thai because it's located in Thailand, but from the outside it isn't Thai. Ever heard of a Contradictio in terminis ?

Ok so I agree with you. So I think what you are saying is Pattaya is not normal Thai (as above) so non Thai activities happen (logical conlusion) but you just don't want this particular non thai activity to happen called Pattaya Songkran. Have I assumed correct ?

Edited by rinteln

Ok so I agree with you. So I think what you are saying is Pattaya is not normal Thai (as above) so non Thai activities happen but you just don't want this particular non thai activity to happen called Pattaya Songkran. Have I assumed correct ?

No you don't !

Songkran is traditional Thai, as such, I love Songkran when played with respect but not when it's done Pattaya Style aka done with trying to inflict the most harm and thus not enjoying the true spirit of it, which is RESPECT.

Edit : //

Let's end this now because else a Mod with long finger nails ends it for us :D

Edited by MJCM

"Why should we?". I'm sorry are you a Thai national ? Your sure speaking like one who has the rights of one. You should put up with it because that's what the Thais have decided and your a visitor to this country.

No. You've misunderstood your own point and therefore my reply. You were insisting we all should like it. This, even though you don't realize that many, if not most, Thais resident in Pattaya don't like Pattaya Songkran either. They don't like it for the same reasons we resident farang don't like it. And yes, we farang unquestionably DO have the right not to LIKE Songkran. It's absurd and silly to claim otherwise: that a victim should LIKE being a victim, even though it may be circumstantial.

And you were claiming we can't cope, but of course we do. We hole up or we leave, except for a minority of idiots. And we also have the right to hole up and leave, just the same as Thais. Leaving really isn't putting up with it. It's escaping it.

You speak like you have rights...lol.

Yep, sure do . . . lol.

I dont make demands and insist I shouldnt have to put up with things because I live here. Some residents dont like it, yes you are right, thats why they either leave Pattaya for a few days or stay in. Im sure we can do the same if we want.

Yawn. Ah, well, roll over and take it up the . . . all you wish, but such passivity isn't everyone's style. At any rate, you're finally beginning to see, dimly, that in fact no one, Thai or farang, has to like Pattaya's ridiculously long Songkran; they do have a perfect right, and reason enough, to express their dissatisfaction about it; and they do have the right to cope with it as they will within legal constraints--which they DO.

All of which leaves you with no argument, merely a whinge against people exercising such rights rather than exposing themselves to more inconvenience and endangerment than is necessary in their own personal judgement--and absurdly, in your view, liking to so expose themselves.

"Let's not pretend it's normal Thai culture".............errmmmm how long have you been here?

Much, much longer than you, Mr. Thailand Expert. You'll note that there's a lot of agreement on this particular point I made.

Edited by JSixpack

@JSixpack

So you couldnt answer my questions. So I take it your not a Thai national then ? and I take it your not eligible to vote ?

What rights do you have then ?? Tell me ?? I am so interested to know, infact after that brave speech on behalf of distressed expats who are obviously going through a tough period now with all this water, I am dying to know. Not moral or cheesy lines, I mean written in law, stone cold facts, tell me the rights you have in this country in regards to policy change as a alien. Come on, on this forum prove me wrong. This is your chance to shut me up. Not just words, show me facts if you are confident your opinion matters to the Thai government. Expats in Pattaya cant even influence getting rid or dealing with jet ski scams which are obviously wrong to any human being, let alone Songkran....lol

In regards to your reply to me, you obviously cannot read. I did not say everyone had to like Songkran and I did not say that you didn't have the right to an opinion I said you haven't got a legal right to change it or demand it. There is a difference. You said earlier why should we put up with it, I'm saying as a visitor you have no choice. Not opinion, it is fact. As you didn't answer my questions I have to assume you are a visitor.

Everything you have said above is about right to opinion and right to a view, it doesn't mean anything in Thailand as a Farang and you know it. Instead you seem to have gone on some crusade about right to opinion and being a victim of all things....lol. A victim, of some water...lol, OMG !! That was the bit that made me laugh when you did the victim example, almost looked like a copy and paste from somewhere .......next we will be having a topic about "post Songkran syndrome" for the poor victim expats of Pattaya who just couldnt stay indoors and just cant change their lives for 10 days of the year to allow for Songkran in a tourist city. The victims that are so bothered about Songkran and so bothered about " non normal Thai activity" but don't mind ignoring all the other non normal Thai things that go on here.

Bottom line and the thing that matters and will probably be the nail in the coffin is Songkran is here to stay, for a long long long time and there is not a single single thing you or any other moaning expat mates will ever be able to do about it no matter how long you have been here, no matter how much money you have or no matter how many so called rights you think have which of course you don't.

So while I note that there is alot of agreement on your point (of which im not surprised) I hope you can also note, it aint gonna change a thing..which is ofcourse what really matters.

lol

Edited by rinteln

@JSixpack

What rights do you have then ?? Tell me ?? I am so interested to know,

I just said that in fact no one, Thai or farang, has to like Pattaya's ridiculously long Songkran; they do have a perfect right, and reason enough, to express their dissatisfaction about it; and they do have the right to cope with it as they will within legal constraints--which they DO.

As no farang are being prosecuted under Thai law for speaking against Pattaya Songkran, holing up, or leaving during the period, it's obviously legal behavior. And no government has yet even to find the means to control one's thinking.

Since you're not paying attention, I'll be bowing out shortly.

show me facts if you are confident your opinion matters to the Thai government.

Straw man argument. I never made any such claim.

You said earlier why should we put up with it, I'm saying as a visitor you have no choice. Not opinion, it is fact. As you didn't answer my questions I have to assume you are a visitor.

No, again, that isn't what I said. Here it is:

You: "If people cant deal with this small part of year when things aren't quite what they usually are"

Me: "CAN and do, but--this is the point--don't WANT to for 10 days, a legit and totally understandable point of view from those of us living here. Why should we?"

Why should we WANT to for 10 days?

Your questions, indeed your whole reply, were irrelevant to the point.

You don't like people complaining. Normally I don't either. But in this case, having lived in PTY for many years and having only a motorbike for transportation, I'm with the complainers.

And NO I'm not asserting that our complaints have the slightest effect on the Thai government. How crazy would that be.

A victim, of some water...lol, OMG !!

Have you had a motorcycle accident yet? No? Eye infection--one of our members almost lost an eye. Ear infection?

It's so much more than "just some water."

@

JSixpack

Again your whole argument is about whether you have the right to the opinion which I have never denied. You are really hung up on this opinion and view thing. I never said its not their legal right to have the opinion. I know there are many complainers out there and its totally their choice to do that but it wont make the slightest difference to the Thai government or any local branch of it because we are visitors and we should not expect that we have some control over it. The Thais will decide and not us because its their country.

This is now 3 times you have not answered the simple questions I asked which will determine whether you are a visitor or Thai national, nor have you given me an example of a legal right you have as a visitor to this country to change policy in regards to Songkran. Although looks like you may of at last conceded you don't. (slow but got there). I cant put my point any simpler than what I have said already, if you don't get it by now then you never will.

Maybe you can set up a group on or about the 19th April for all the "post Songkran syndrome" expats who have suffered so badly from this horrible experience that they must be going through. Being forced to go out around the beach sois and all the main areas where its at its worst and suffer the wrath of the water. Or actually why don't you go and see the PM and demand that the distressed expats of Pattaya are heard because we are westerners and we want everything the way we want it. Keep all the other vices in Pattaya that normal Thais don't do but please get rid of "Pattaya Songkran" because normal Thais don't do that and we like to cherry pick what we like and don't like and are sometimes very passionate about what normal Thais do when it matters to us !!! lol

I'm done, goodnight.

Edited by rinteln

Bottom line and the thing that matters and will probably be the nail in the coffin is Songkran is here to stay, for a long long long time and there is not a single single thing you or any other moaning expat mates will ever be able to do about it no matter how long you have been here, no matter how much money you have or no matter how many so called rights you think have which of course you don't.

So while I note that there is alot of agreement on your point (of which im not surprised) I hope you can also note, it aint gonna change a thing..which is ofcourse what really matters.

lol

You should get a grip mate. This is not a thread intended to get anything done about Songkran - this is THE yearly whinge thread - so get lost and let us complain to our heart's content.

... and what makes you think nothing will change in the future? I predict you are wrong and one day the local authorities will stamp out this 9 day nonsense and restrict it to 3 days as it is in Bangkok and other areas. It wouldn't be difficult to do.

• Like 2

The thing about the late big day in Pattaya is so that Bangkokians, etc. can come party here and have two Songkrans if they want. That is good to fill the rooms. So as long as Pattaya day is the 19th and most of the country starts much earlier, no this ridiculous extended Songkran From Hell is NOT going away.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

lol

You should get a grip mate. This is not a thread intended to get anything done about Songkran - this is THE yearly whinge thread - so get lost and let us complain to our heart's content.

... and what makes you think nothing will change in the future? I predict you are wrong and one day the local authorities will stamp out this 9 day nonsense and restrict it to 3 days as it is in Bangkok and other areas. It wouldn't be difficult to do.

Sorry are you a mod ?? I thought it was only mods that can kick people out or tell them to get lost. I will give my opinion anywhere I want thanks matey.

Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean I should go.

I agree it will change later but my point on this thread and what has been so painful to get through is if it does change it wont be because of us. Because we are visitors. It will be up to the Thais. Some people think they have this power. I have asked and challenged for evidence of these legal rights we have as aliens in this country and so far no takers.

As I said before the so called "expats with powers" in this town haven't even been able to stop jet ski scams which is something in anyone's eyes is wrong let alone stop or reduce a subject which is debatable.

As someone suggests later its mainly old folk that are moaners so perhaps progress is futile on this forum...lol

So ill give you your wish, ill leave you guys to complain about this awful, horrible 10 days you are having to go through and hopefully you can get it down to only 3 and then everyone will be happy. Oh and why dont you join the "post songkran" group that sixpack is going to set up for distressed expats, it could help you through this tough time......lol

Edited by rinteln

@

JSixpack

This is now 3 times you have not answered the simple questions I asked which will determine whether you are a visitor or Thai national, nor have you given me an example of a legal right you have as a visitor to this country to change policy in regards to Songkran.

Answering your questions would merely encourage your erroneous belief that they are relevant to the point I was making and that you entirely missed, as it seems you can't grasp that, yes, I'm only talking about opinions--as we do here, besides exchanging useful info such as on times, places, and coping strategies.

It's just better not to aid and assist illogic and irrationality when possible.

In next year's Songkran FAQ, though, I'll be sure to note your one major revelation to us all, one that we had never known before and badly needed, that farangs can't vote in Thai elections.

lol

Agreed. This year the Thai authorities came out with their most specific warnings ever. Gradually it's sinking in that things have gone way too far.

Nobody's gonna be holding their breath for change, but I believe it's coming closer to possiblitity.