parbeau

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

attention veteran ex pats

expected dates of the water throwing in pattaya?

beginning and ending

thanks

Supposed to end on the 19th.. starts whenever they want before that.. thinking 11-19? maybe 13-19

My prediction is it will be a bad one this year because April 19 is Thursday. The 2 worst days will be Wednesday 18 and Thursday 19, but Saturday and Sunday are 14 and 15 which will also be very busy and there won't be much of a lull up to and including April 19.

14 to 19 will be hectic. It will probably start around 11. Friday night, 13 will probably be a big one too.

I would suggest the Best Place to be during Pattayas "version" of Songkran is

ANYWHERE BUT PATTAYA

It has degenerated into a Drunken Rabble throwing 'water' (Sewage) & annoying anyone they can.

I have ensured that I will be somewhere else the last 3 years & the last time I was a Victim as I walked past some idiot Euro & US Tourists with my bags of NEW Clothes & asked them NOT to drench me ,one of them waited until I was past before soaking me .

He was 'accidentally' hit with my knuckles in the face after I chased him into the Bar..Never again......

jap.gif

• Like 1

If you are the type who can not control yourself and must resort to violence, it would be a very good idea to not be in Pattaya during Songkran.

Regardless of how you feel about the situation, if you hit someone for soaking you during Songkran you will very likely experience the inside of Pattaya jail and/or a hefty fine. This is Thailand and Songkran and the police will not be on your side regardless how you feel about it.

Personally I stay away from the "party zone" and limit my exposure to the rest of Pattaya to the absolute minimum, taking the car to a few controlled areas such as Foodland or Makro for restocking.

I do not really mind Songkran in Chiang Mai - even though it gets pretty wild - but Pattaya would be a nightmare with all the aggresive, drunken dirtbags that I'm guessing that one would encounter there.

alex-revolted-orig.jpg

Edited by Ulysses G.

I do not really mind Songkran in Chiang Mai - even though it gets pretty wild - but Pattaya would be a nightmare with all the aggresive, drunken dirtbags that I'm guessing that one would encounter there.

There's a lot of aggressiveness down here during Songkran but the main problem is the length of time it goes on for.... but it's still not reason enough to move to a more civilized place like Chiang Mai.intheclub.gif

Edited by tropo

If you want to have a long and healthy life please avoid Pattaya during songkran.

That's a bit of an exaggeration. Songkran is a pain in the B, but it's quite easy to live through if you take a few basic precautions.

If you want to have a long and healthy life please avoid Pattaya during songkran.

That's a bit of an exaggeration. Songkran is a pain in the B, but it's quite easy to live through if you take a few basic precautions.

I agree stayed Locked up at Home day & night

clap2.gif

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

If you are the type who can not control yourself and must resort to violence, it would be a very good idea to not be in Pattaya during Songkran.

Regardless of how you feel about the situation, if you hit someone for soaking you during Songkran you will very likely experience the inside of Pattaya jail and/or a hefty fine. This is Thailand and Songkran and the police will not be on your side regardless how you feel about it.

Personally I stay away from the "party zone" and limit my exposure to the rest of Pattaya to the absolute minimum, taking the car to a few controlled areas such as Foodland or Makro for restocking.

Not always the case in other parts of Thailand, Phil. Last year in Samui I carried out a 'citizen's arrest' and the cops locked up the wanke_r for 24 hours smile.png

I would suggest the Best Place to be during Pattayas "version" of Songkran is

ANYWHERE BUT PATTAYA

It has degenerated into a Drunken Rabble throwing 'water' (Sewage) & annoying anyone they can.

I have ensured that I will be somewhere else the last 3 years & the last time I was a Victim as I walked past some idiot Euro & US Tourists with my bags of NEW Clothes & asked them NOT to drench me ,one of them waited until I was past before soaking me .

He was 'accidentally' hit with my knuckles in the face after I chased him into the Bar..Never again......

jap.gif

Totally agree it is out of control in Pattaya,everywhere else it runs from the 13th to the 15th,why then for so long in Pattaya.Never again will i be in Pattaya on these dates.3 days elsewhere is just fine.
  • Like 1

Contrary to the usual whingers I enjoy song kran in Pattaya, yes it is crazy and yes many farangs are annoying. But that's what it is and if your prepared and like a good laugh you'll have a great time. I only wish they'd ban selling blocks of ice.

And for those who seem to find joy in knocking everything about Pattaya, why not leave and go home.

By the time you can spell it you won't...

Yeah me too...

Cant stand it, especially what I call "Songkran Farangs". I wonder if they know what they are celebrating?

There's nothing worse than to be sat drying off - nearly getting there and then drenched again with icy cold water by some drunken moronic farang whom is having an absolute riot of a time.

Some of them are plain sick, you see some of them shooting water at a girls ass or pussy and breasts, and I last year saw some guy outside a bar in Jomtien doing that to a young girl of about 12.

On top of that, it fuc_ks your phone, wallet, cigarettes, lighter and paper money in your pocket if you dont carry half a dozen plastic bags with you or be forced to buy a waterproof pouch from a hawker.

Yes, I dont like it.

First you should not smoke.Second i bet you pay for intimate relationships in pattaya.You are not a saint

Yeah me too...

Cant stand it, especially what I call "Songkran Farangs". I wonder if they know what they are celebrating?

There's nothing worse than to be sat drying off - nearly getting there and then drenched again with icy cold water by some drunken moronic farang whom is having an absolute riot of a time.

Some of them are plain sick, you see some of them shooting water at a girls ass or pussy and breasts, and I last year saw some guy outside a bar in Jomtien doing that to a young girl of about 12.

On top of that, it fuc_ks your phone, wallet, cigarettes, lighter and paper money in your pocket if you dont carry half a dozen plastic bags with you or be forced to buy a waterproof pouch from a hawker.

Yes, I dont like it.

I think there are alot of celebrations that many people don't really know about, I'm not sure that means you cant celebrate it. The so called "songkran farangs" are only just another set of people doing the same thing. If you took them out of the equation then you would still get soaked on a daily basis. There are I admit a few that are dangerous but on the whole most are not dangerous about it and having some fun.

Pattaya is a tourist holiday destination and a city designed only for entertainment, not a village home in Devon. Songkran would be happening without the farangs, so if you want them to stop then your asking the Thais to stop which aint gonna happen.

Bottom line is most people know Songkran is coming and should be prepared, anyone who isnt knows within hours. I certainly would have no sympathy for any expat who had his fags or money soaked. Serves you right, you know when Songkran comes, deal with it.

Every year we see the some Expats moaning about Songkran. These people dont come to your home and soak you, you are going out and you knew in advance. If people cant deal with this small part of year when things aren't quite what they usually are then just stay at home, simple, because nothings gonna change for you.

Edited by rinteln

Yeah me too...

Yes, I dont like it.

First you should not smoke.Second i bet you pay for intimate relationships in pattaya.You are not a saint

False analogy. On the one hand you have voluntary transactions, victimless. On the other, victimization by willful, forcible, malicious harassment with the intent to cause bodily harm--and the possibility of success in that aim. Legally sanctioned, mind you.

Duh.

If you took them out of the equation then you would still get soaked on a daily basis.

Not for 10 days you wouldn't. This is the main point.

If people cant deal with this small part of year when things aren't quite what they usually are

CAN and do, but--this is the point--don't WANT to for 10 days, a legit and totally understandable point of view from those of us living here. Why should we? MOST Pattaya residents, including Thai, don't like it, not just a few. Let's not pretend it's normal Thai culture. Large numbers do leave the city at their own expense.

Now, the gov't COULD change this abnormal situation, but it won't. You hole up or you leave, that's it. We all know that and hardly need you to tell us. Some tourists might not, to their shock.

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 1

Yeah me too...

Yes, I dont like it.

False analogy. On the one hand you have voluntary transactions, victimless. On the other, victimization by willful, forcible, malicious harassment with the intent to cause bodily harm--and the possibility of success in that aim. Legally sanctioned, mind you.

Duh.

Thank you for joining me on my fishing trip

The madness begins burp.gif

Nice vid, hated the music (but fortunate you have volume control ;) ) but what surprised me the most, was that I didn't see any PVC Pipe Canon Things, they where using only the BIG C, Vendor issued Water Guns. Maybe the enforcement is working ? giggle.gif

If you took them out of the equation then you would still get soaked on a daily basis.

Not for 10 days you wouldn't. This is the main point.

If people cant deal with this small part of year when things aren't quite what they usually are

CAN and do, but--this is the point--don't WANT to for 10 days, a legit and totally understandable point of view from those of us living here. Why should we? MOST Pattaya residents, including Thai, don't like it, not just a few. Let's not pretend it's normal Thai culture. Large numbers do leave the city at their own expense.

Now, the gov't COULD change this abnormal situation, but it won't. You hole up or you leave, that's it. We all know that and hardly need you to tell us. Some tourists might not, to their shock.

"Why should we?". I'm sorry are you a Thai national ? Your sure speaking like one who has the rights of one. You should put up with it because that's what the Thais have decided and your a visitor to this country. You speak like you have rights...lol. You are a visitor and no more status than someone here for a couple of weeks. The Thais can have it going for however long they like and its not our business. I have also lived here for over 4 years now and you know I only ever hear the farangs moaning about Songkran not the Thais. I dont make demands and insist I shouldnt have to put up with things because I live here. Some residents dont like it, yes you are right, thats why they either leave Pattaya for a few days or stay in. Im sure we can do the same if we want.

"Let's not pretend it's normal Thai culture".............errmmmm how long have you been here?! Have you been to Korat in Songkran, have you been to Hat Yai in Songkran, Nakhon Si Tammarat, have you been to Yala in Songkran. More important have you been to Bangkok in Songkran. I can tell you I have been to some of these places in Songkran and I can assure you there are plenty of people getting wet.

Not Thai culture.....lol lol....what are you talking about !!

Edited by rinteln

Most local Thais I speak to don't like Pattaya style Songkran. The violence of it. The absurd length of it. The fact that it doesn't stop at sundown. In fact, they HATE it just as I do. They make sure to tell me (as if I didn't know) that was goes on in Pattaya is not a "real" Thai Songkran. Some of them blame, you guesed it, f-rangs. Yes, you're right. I'm not a barfly.

Edited by Jingthing

Most local Thais I speak to don't like Pattaya style Songkran. The violence of it. The absurd length of it. The fact that it doesn't stop at sundown. In fact, they HATE it just as I do. They make sure to tell me (as if I didn't know) that was goes on in Pattaya is not a "real" Thai Songkran. Some of them blame, you guesed it, f-rangs. Yes, you're right. I'm not a barfly.

Well that's up for debate as Thais say different things. I'm sure we could all say we speak to Thais that also like it. Im also sure the Thais who benefit from the increased revenue will also like it.

My point earlier is its not our business as visitors and is up to the Thais to change it if they want.

Perhaps the extremity of Songkran in Pattaya is not normal Songkran but then how does one decide what isn't extreme, what isn't dangerous, what getting wet is. Reading some of these posts on this thread many foreigners to this country think they should be deciding that.

We live in luxury here in Thailand I am so surprised 10 bloody days of putting people out of their routine in a foreign country gets this much hatred going.

Edited by rinteln

I don't think the issue with hating SongKran has anything to do with getting wet (We get wet every day in the shower (I hope so ;)), it has to do with the violence, the disrespect and people who try to do bodily harm, because they think they can during these insane couple of days.

• Like 1

Well that's up for debate as Thais say different things. I'm sure we could all say we speak to Thais that also like it. Im also sure the Thais who benefit from the increased revenue will also like it.

My point earlier is its not our business as visitors and is up to the Thais to change it if they want.

Perhaps the extremity of Songkran in Pattaya is not normal Songkran but then how does one decide what isn't extreme, what isn't dangerous, what getting wet is. Reading some of these posts on this thread many foreigners to this country think they should be deciding that.

We live in luxury here in Thailand I am so surprised 10 bloody days of putting people out of their routine in a foreign country gets this much hatred going.

You haven't been here very long rintein, soon as the saying ' we are guests" comes out you just know a load of <deleted> will follow, you didn't disprove my theory! look around you and come up with something original..............suk-san wan songkran Krap

I don't think the issue with hating SongKran has anything to do with getting wet (We get wet every day in the shower (I hope so wink.png), it has to do with the violence, the disrespect and people who try to do bodily harm, because they think they can during these insane couple of days.

Fair enough but those people are not in the majority.

Well if people on here are so obsessed with things being the "normal Thai" way I wonder if you guys would like everything else we love about Pattaya to become traditional Thai. We all know that would change alot around here. Any takers for a normal Thai life adhered to 100%, or are we just cherry picking what we want !!! Yeah thought so.