Do You Ever Ride Without A Helmet

nattydread

I'm an experienced rider and was knocked off my Honda CBR 250 on beach rd.

It happened so quickly that I could do nothing and when I came down I had a lot of pain for the next week and have scars to prove it. My head with full faced helmet hit the road and the helmet was scratched badly. I got up and walked away so I'm still here to support my wife and baby.

Really wearing a hemut is a must as people dont realise how fragile our head is.

A friend of mine worked in the emergency ward at an Australian hospital and use to deal with it on Saturday nights. She said many people simply never left the hospital and this was not from motorcycling but simply from drunk people falling over and hitting their head on the sidewalk. If you can die falling over what hope do you have going head first into the road at 60K's an hour.

very true but one thing I would add, falling of a bike at 60kmph (or even 140kmph) or walking and falling drunk or whatever can often result in the same size of impact of your head on the ground - think of it as distance to the ground, serious injuries from bike accidents excluding road rash and friction burns are when you hit something hard that is solid and not moving or while you are down something like a car or other vehicle hits you, most of the motoGP accidents you see during races will be a rider going down and sliding across the track or in the gravel - very safe as there is nothing to hit (this is why motocross riders experience more injuries eventhough the speeds are a lot less, you do see the odd broken finger or collar bone or strain injury where a rider might get highsided (thrown onto the air) and slamed into the ground, We all know of the recent MotoGP rider that lost his life last season, his accident was caused by a freak collision with another bike and in fact it was so traumatic that his Helmet was ripped from his head.

At low speed you reduce the risk of hitting something while you are sliding along the ground but the risk increases in towns and cities as there are more things to hit, accidents in pattaya where a bike rider has been seriously injured have either involved other vehicles or where the rider has hit something usually not wearing a helmet - would a helmet have saved many of these - hard to say but it certaintly would have improved their chances

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It happened so quickly that I could do nothing and when I came down I had a lot of pain for the next week and have scars to prove it. My head with full faced helmet hit the road and the helmet was scratched badly. I got up and walked away so I'm still here to support my wife and baby.

Really wearing a hemut is a must as people dont realise how fragile our head is.

A friend of mine worked in the emergency ward at an Australian hospital and use to deal with it on Saturday nights. She said many people simply never left the hospital and this was not from motorcycling but simply from drunk people falling over and hitting their head on the sidewalk. If you can die falling over what hope do you have going head first into the road at 60K's an hour.

very true but one thing I would add, falling of a bike at 60kmph (or even 140kmph) or walking and falling drunk or whatever can often result in the same size of impact of your head on the ground - think of it as distance to the ground, serious injuries from bike accidents excluding road rash and friction burns are when you hit something hard that is solid and not moving or while you are down something like a car or other vehicle hits you, most of the motoGP accidents you see during races will be a rider going down and sliding across the track or in the gravel - very safe as there is nothing to hit (this is why motocross riders experience more injuries eventhough the speeds are a lot less, you do see the odd broken finger or collar bone or strain injury where a rider might get highsided (thrown onto the air) and slamed into the ground, We all know of the recent MotoGP rider that lost his life last season, his accident was caused by a freak collision with another bike and in fact it was so traumatic that his Helmet was ripped from his head.

At low speed you reduce the risk of hitting something while you are sliding along the ground but the risk increases in towns and cities as there are more things to hit, accidents in pattaya where a bike rider has been seriously injured have either involved other vehicles or where the rider has hit something usually not wearing a helmet - would a helmet have saved many of these - hard to say but it certaintly would have improved their chances

I sort of get what you are saying here and trying to make sense of it. You are saying someon falling over drunk is the same as coming off a motor bike. If all variables were the same meaning the object you are going to hit and the direction you hit then this would go against Newtons second Law of motion. Applied force equals mass by acceleration, so my mass would remain the same but the acceleration I have hitting the road from a motorcycle is far hagher than falling over therefore the applied force is higher causing more damage to my head.

• Like 1

I sort of get what you are saying here and trying to make sense of it. You are saying someon falling over drunk is the same as coming off a motor bike. If all variables were the same meaning the object you are going to hit and the direction you hit then this would go against Newtons second Law of motion. Applied force equals mass by acceleration, so my mass would remain the same but the acceleration I have hitting the road from a motorcycle is far hagher than falling over therefore the applied force is higher causing more damage to my head.

i dont think its that simple

a 6foot tall man falls over ,his head hits the ground 6 feet away from where his feet are

if hes on a speeding bike ,his head may well be still 6 feet above the ground

but the bike is pulling him forwards rapildly and gravity is puling him downwards when he loses traction

this is sure to increase the force and trauma to the head

i still think motorcylcing is more dangerous than getting drunk without a helmet :D

yes it will be a heavier impact but not as heavy and the implied 60kmph, the difference is forward motion as opposed to direct downward motion hiting a stationary solid object like the ground, how do you think aircraft are able to land, flying at 150mph straight into the ground is not the same as flying forward and gliding to the ground, all I am saying is I can understand how a walking or running person having a head on collision with the ground could be just as severe, it's to do with how fast you are moving towards the ground, I'm not sure that in all cases the impact on a 60kmph motorbike would be any more severe in fact the bike might at some point break your fall depending, We have two directions of motion working here, forward and down, now if you hit something solid with your head going forward at 60kmph or higher as mentioned in my earlier postyou would likely die and have more chance of dieing without a Helmet, also shoulder pads knee pads gloves etc will not save you either- that senario does not exist with someone walking or running. Ski jumping would be another example, those guys go down a ramp sometimes reaching 70mph - they hit the ground doing that speed but in a forward motion, their downward motion might be as little as a 5-10mph impact, I don't know what the skull can take on a direct impact with a solid object or indeed what a bike helmet can safely take either, maybe someone here knows how helmets are tested and what the relative speed would be before the protection breaks down, I'm prestty sure is is not as high as most think it is

mute point really but I'm sure you understand what I'm getting at

some reading http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_helmet

Edited by smedly

my point explained better than I ever could lol

quote from the article above (I wasn't too far out)

Most motorcycle helmet standards use impacts at speeds between 4–7 m/s (9–16 mph). While motorcyclists frequently ride at speeds higher than 20 m/s (45 mph), the perpendicular impact speed of the helmet is usually not the same as the road speed of the motorcycle, and the severity of the impact is determined not only by the speed of the head but also by the surface it hits and the angle of impact. Since the surface of the road is almost parallel to the direction a motorcyclist moves while driving, only a small component of their velocity is directed perpendicularly (though other surfaces may be perpendicular to the motorcyclist's velocity, such as trees, walls, and the sides of other vehicles). The severity of an impact is also influenced by the nature of the surface struck. The sheet metal wall of a car door may bend inwards to a depth of 7.5–10 cm (3.0–3.9 in) during a helmeted-head impact, allowing more stopping distance for the rider's head than the helmet itself. A perpendicular impact against a flat steel anvil at 5 m/s (11 mph) may be of approximate severity to an oblique impact against a concrete surface at 30 m/s (67 mph) or a perpendicular impact against a sheet metal car door or windscreen at 30 m/s. Since there is a wide range of severity in the impacts that could happen in a motorcycle accident, some will be more severe than the impacts used in the standard tests and some will be less.

Yes, interesting new input. This is why i also wear a helmet when riding my racing bicycle. You never know... smile.png

but not the same helmet i hope ........ smile.png

tongue.png Good idea. I should try it to see how people react.

Its interesting how many sport bicycle riders in Bangkok wear a helmet. They like to dress as if going for Tour de France. Most even have lights when its getting dark. Amazing Thailand :)

Yes, interesting new input. This is why i also wear a helmet when riding my racing bicycle. You never know... smile.png

Yeah so right so sad !! so now I am wearing my motorcycle helmet while jogging and watching motorcyle road cam video's on thavisa.smile.png

Edited by Kwasaki

Yeah so right so sad !! so now I am wearing my motorcycle helmet while jogging and watching motorcyle road cam video's on thavisa.smile.png

Skoal, not forget to wear it while drunken.

drunk.gif

You've gotten me worried. Should I wear my helmet when I take my son out on a bicycle ride? Problem is that being only 6 months old, I can't find a helmet to fit him that is light enough.

I'm a live and let live type. If you don't want to wear a helmet, then don't. By not wearing a helmet, you could save yourself a lot of pain because landing on your head could easily kill you. There's no pain if you're dead.

Just don't try to tell the more cautious intelligent people NOT to wear a helmet. Why would you want to endanger other people because you consider yourself accident and bullet proof.

You've gotten me worried. Should I wear my helmet when I take my son out on a bicycle ride? Problem is that being only 6 months old, I can't find a helmet to fit him that is light enough.

Valid concern- I've read that the weight of even the lightest of helmets is too much for toddlers and that they risk neck injury from the weight of the helmet...

I only ride my racing bicycle with a helmet. My other bicycle i ride without helmet and gloves. Why? Good question, even if noone has asked ;)

I guess it is this "face thing". Riding a racing bicycle with helmet is normality nowadays. Most sport cyclists wear helmets now. People are not laughing at you. This was different 20 years ago. Things change slowly over the time. Do i feel more safe with helmet while riding a bike in Bangkok on public streets? No, try it and you know what i mean :)

Valid concern- I've read that the weight of even the lightest of helmets is too much for toddlers and that they risk neck injury from the weight of the helmet...

6 month old? Don't know much about babies but isn't that a bit too young to take it on a bicycle for a ride? I guess you are only riding a few meters to the next 7eleven.

Don't know if there are bicycle helmets for babies. But bicycle helmets are much much lighter than motorbike helmets. If the bicycle helmet is made for a kid of this specific age than i don't think there will be any danger of neck injury. But 6 month? Just take care of your child and don't fall down smile.png

yes it will be a heavier impact but not as heavy and the implied 60kmph, the difference is forward motion as opposed to direct downward motion hiting a stationary solid object like the ground, how do you think aircraft are able to land, flying at 150mph straight into the ground is not the same as flying forward and gliding to the ground, all I am saying is I can understand how a walking or running person having a head on collision with the ground could be just as severe, it's to do with how fast you are moving towards the ground, I'm not sure that in all cases the impact on a 60kmph motorbike would be any more severe in fact the bike might at some point break your fall depending, We have two directions of motion working here, forward and down, now if you hit something solid with your head going forward at 60kmph or higher as mentioned in my earlier postyou would likely die and have more chance of dieing without a Helmet, also shoulder pads knee pads gloves etc will not save you either- that senario does not exist with someone walking or running. Ski jumping would be another example, those guys go down a ramp sometimes reaching 70mph - they hit the ground doing that speed but in a forward motion, their downward motion might be as little as a 5-10mph impact, I don't know what the skull can take on a direct impact with a solid object or indeed what a bike helmet can safely take either, maybe someone here knows how helmets are tested and what the relative speed would be before the protection breaks down, I'm prestty sure is is not as high as most think it is mute point really but I'm sure you understand what I'm getting at some reading http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_helmet

Is this some convoluted reasoning to say riding without a helmet is safe?

yes it will be a heavier impact but not as heavy and the implied 60kmph, the difference is forward motion as opposed to direct downward motion hiting a stationary solid object like the ground, how do you think aircraft are able to land, flying at 150mph straight into the ground is not the same as flying forward and gliding to the ground, all I am saying is I can understand how a walking or running person having a head on collision with the ground could be just as severe, it's to do with how fast you are moving towards the ground, I'm not sure that in all cases the impact on a 60kmph motorbike would be any more severe in fact the bike might at some point break your fall depending, We have two directions of motion working here, forward and down, now if you hit something solid with your head going forward at 60kmph or higher as mentioned in my earlier postyou would likely die and have more chance of dieing without a Helmet, also shoulder pads knee pads gloves etc will not save you either- that senario does not exist with someone walking or running. Ski jumping would be another example, those guys go down a ramp sometimes reaching 70mph - they hit the ground doing that speed but in a forward motion, their downward motion might be as little as a 5-10mph impact, I don't know what the skull can take on a direct impact with a solid object or indeed what a bike helmet can safely take either, maybe someone here knows how helmets are tested and what the relative speed would be before the protection breaks down, I'm prestty sure is is not as high as most think it is mute point really but I'm sure you understand what I'm getting at some reading http://en.wikipedia....torcycle_helmet

Think he forgot that crash hats don't have wheels. rolleyes.gif

yes it will be a heavier impact but not as heavy and the implied 60kmph, the difference is forward motion as opposed to direct downward motion hiting a stationary solid object like the ground, how do you think aircraft are able to land, flying at 150mph straight into the ground is not the same as flying forward and gliding to the ground, all I am saying is I can understand how a walking or running person having a head on collision with the ground could be just as severe, it's to do with how fast you are moving towards the ground, I'm not sure that in all cases the impact on a 60kmph motorbike would be any more severe in fact the bike might at some point break your fall depending, We have two directions of motion working here, forward and down, now if you hit something solid with your head going forward at 60kmph or higher as mentioned in my earlier postyou would likely die and have more chance of dieing without a Helmet, also shoulder pads knee pads gloves etc will not save you either- that senario does not exist with someone walking or running. Ski jumping would be another example, those guys go down a ramp sometimes reaching 70mph - they hit the ground doing that speed but in a forward motion, their downward motion might be as little as a 5-10mph impact, I don't know what the skull can take on a direct impact with a solid object or indeed what a bike helmet can safely take either, maybe someone here knows how helmets are tested and what the relative speed would be before the protection breaks down, I'm prestty sure is is not as high as most think it is mute point really but I'm sure you understand what I'm getting at some reading http://en.wikipedia....torcycle_helmet

absolutly not buddy but it is worth while understanding just how effective your safety gear is if you have an off at say over 80kmph - provided you don't hit anything stationary and solid you will likely get up and walk away with a few light injuries - if you hit something solid - gear/Helmet or not you are going to be seriously injured or worse

Let me see, I think I rode my motorbike 6 times the past two days without wearing a helmet. Of course I was only going half a kilometer each time carrying a plastic tub full of my gear from one location to another. Yah, I know, most accidents are within a kilometer of home, but sometimes there are risks you take just for the hell of it. I didn't wear my body armour either. And, the past 3 nights I went out wearing only shorts and a short sleave shirt. But, I DID wear a helmet and gloves.

However, considering that I rode my bicycle 28 miles each day to work and back for 14 years wtihout wearing a helmet or padding I was over due for an accident or two. I was riding along a busy highway on Vancouver Island on the bike and my speed averaged about 20 mph..

So I guess the answer to the original question is YES, I do occasionally not wear a helmet. But hey, a LOT of people say I'm crazy riding anything in Thailand.

6 month old? Don't know much about babies but isn't that a bit too young to take it on a bicycle for a ride? I guess you are only riding a few meters to the next 7eleven.

Don't know if there are bicycle helmets for babies. But bicycle helmets are much much lighter than motorbike helmets. If the bicycle helmet is made for a kid of this specific age than i don't think there will be any danger of neck injury. But 6 month? Just take care of your child and don't fall down smile.png

Thanks for the advice. No danger of falling down as I stand 5'11" and the bicycle seat does not even reach my bum when I'm standing. Also, only cycling around a gated community so hardly any cars on the road either. Kid loves it, has his own chair with seat belt and padded hold bar.

Let me see, I think I rode my motorbike 6 times the past two days without wearing a helmet. Of course I was only going half a kilometer each time carrying a plastic tub full of my gear from one location to another. Yah, I know, most accidents are within a kilometer of home, but sometimes there are risks you take just for the hell of it. I didn't wear my body armour either. And, the past 3 nights I went out wearing only shorts and a short sleave shirt. But, I DID wear a helmet and gloves.

However, considering that I rode my bicycle 28 miles each day to work and back for 14 years wtihout wearing a helmet or padding I was over due for an accident or two. I was riding along a busy highway on Vancouver Island on the bike and my speed averaged about 20 mph..

So I guess the answer to the original question is YES, I do occasionally not wear a helmet. But hey, a LOT of people say I'm crazy riding anything in Thailand.

See you in hospital....or worse?

See you in hospital....or worse?

hes been to hospital already ,funny story it was too ! maybe someone will post the link and you can read it yourself :D

Relevant link from the BBC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rnwall-17498062

Perhaps the idea could be utilised locally.

This idea for Thailand rolleyes.gif I can picture the senario now ( ambulance driver ) " where's your card "

(injured rider) " it's in my helmet at home " .biggrin.png

I may be wrong but I thought that taking someones helmet off after a accident is not a good idea, better to carry something like ID etc in a outside pocket.

Edited by Kwasaki

Good idea to give your child enough time to get used to a helmet. If the parents also always wear a helmet (postnatal, first time the baby see parents, while nursing, ...) it get soon normality for the child ;)

An interesting article on helmets, mainly discussing Snell and DOT ratings, but a good read called "Blowing The Lid Off" written for the Motorcycle mag by Dexter Ford. This was written in 2005. Dexter Ford then wrote a follow article for NY Times in 2009, as Snell changed their standards mainly due to Ford's 2005 criticisms. The NY Times article was still critical of the fact that Snell still allows manufacturers to make helmets to the older standard. After 30 years writing for Motorcycle mag, Ford was fired due to pressure from Arai and Shoei!

Unfortunately the 2005 article has disappeared off the Motorcycle Mag website. Luckily i kept a cached copy of it and converted it to pdf (removing all the ads etc).

The NY Times article http://www.nytimes.c...?pagewanted=all

Wiki background on Dexter Ford http://en.wikipedia....User:Dexterford

2005 article "Blowing The Lid Off" written for the Motorcycle mag by Dexter Ford

Motorcycle Helmet Performance Dexter Ford.pdf

A couple of other articles

http://www.webbikewo...-helmet-faq.htm

http://www.webbikewo...y-standards.htm

BTW, i believe in the right for someone to choose not to wear a helmet, but the trouble is that if i am in an accident and the other bike rider isn't wearing a helmet then i will be the one blamed for injuring or killing them; even if it is not my fault. It is fine to say that people take the consequences of their own actions but the reality is that usually they or their family don't and look to blame someone else. So if you guys that don't want to wear a helmet could you please at least carry a letter with your registration absolving others if you die or suffer from brain damage. wai.gif

An interesting article on helmets, mainly discussing Snell and DOT ratings, but a good read called "Blowing The Lid Off" written for the Motorcycle mag by Dexter Ford. This was written in 2005. Dexter Ford then wrote a follow article for NY Times in 2009, as Snell changed their standards mainly due to Ford's 2005 criticisms. The NY Times article was still critical of the fact that Snell still allows manufacturers to make helmets to the older standard. After 30 years writing for Motorcycle mag, Ford was fired due to pressure from Arai and Shoei!

Unfortunately the 2005 article has disappeared off the Motorcycle Mag website. Luckily i kept a cached copy of it and converted it to pdf (removing all the ads etc).

2005 article "Blowing The Lid Off" written for the Motorcycle mag by Dexter Ford

BTW, i believe in the right for someone to choose not to wear a helmet, but the trouble is that if i am in an accident and the other bike rider isn't wearing a helmet then i will be the one blamed for injuring or killing them; even if it is not my fault. It is fine to say that people take the consequences of their own actions but the reality is that usually they or their family don't and look to blame someone else. So if you guys that don't want to wear a helmet could you please at least carry a letter with your registration absolving others if you die or suffer from brain damage. wai.gif

That is a very interesting article. Some people with their very expensive helmets won't like reading that. I now feel much better about my DOT only helmet.

That is a very interesting article. Some people with their very expensive helmets won't like reading that. I now feel much better about my DOT only helmet.

The myth that a more expensive helmet will offer better protection than a quality budget helmet has been dispelled many times.

I remember when Ford lost his job allegedly due to his critical reporting on the SNELL standard and indirectly the helmet companies who choose to use it.

Always wondered what happened to him...