Nakhon Sawan News

nong38

I,m American and don't know why you would want to bring beet root with you! Why not just bring the beets and leave the root at home, it would save space and weight. I don't know where you can buy beet root between BKK and KKP but you can buy carrot root, potato root, radish root, garlic root, onion root and all of the other roots that you want. Why do you Brits call it beet root and don't call all of the other root veggies ******* root?

Hi Wayne

What kind of root goes into root beer which I understand is non alcoholic?

There are many different varities of root beer, the primary falvorung is sassafaras root and is complimented with other flavors including licorice root and sasaparilla root! The drink was originally going to be called Root Tea, but with the intention of appealing to a larger audience, it was called Root Beer.

As far as eels, the only way that I have ever eaten them in the US is skinned and fileted. A real PITA to do! Get a big board, drive a nail throught the head of the eel score the skin with a knife around the neck and down the back and skin it with a pair of pliers the same way you skin a catfish. Filet it and then cook it as you like.

Here they kill it, gut it, don't skin it and either cut it up in chunks and cook it in a soup with a lot of chilli or mince it, bones and all, and use it in pad kapow. The same way they use gop(gutted but not skinned), snake(skinned), nook(defeathered) and new(skinned) in padkapow, minced bones, eyeballs and all! A real treat!

AS far as being confused, "With great power often comes great confusion.” Dan Allen- Seam in Action

Wayne,

I'm glad you asked....it's called beetroot to avoid confusion with the other related beet items, like beet greens which originally seem to have been more popular than the beetroot. No such confusion arises with carrots, radishes etc.

BTW I'm actually Australian but amongst other countries I lived in the US for a couple of years so I had to learn how to speak American as a matter of survival. It always surprised me that the locals could understand 'a can of tuna fish' but not 'a can of tuna'. Maybe you can explain?

Sorry can't explain canned tuna fish vs tuna, either works for me, but haven't eaten it since I graduated from college in 1966! But don't go to a seafood market in southern Louisana and order crayfish and expect to get what you would get in OZ! You will most likely will get a 20 lb sack of crawdads or mudbugs. They're gereat if you cook them in crab boil and break them in half and "eat the tails and suck the heads"!

There are many different varities of root beer, the primary falvorung is sassafaras root and is complimented with other flavors including licorice root and sasaparilla root! The drink was originally going to be called Root Tea, but with the intention of appealing to a larger audience, it was called Root Beer.

As far as eels, the only way that I have ever eaten them in the US is skinned and fileted. A real PITA to do! Get a big board, drive a nail throught the head of the eel score the skin with a knife around the neck and down the back and skin it with a pair of pliers the same way you skin a catfish. Filet it and then cook it as you like.

Here they kill it, gut it, don't skin it and either cut it up in chunks and cook it in a soup with a lot of chilli or mince it, bones and all, and use it in pad kapow. The same way they use gop(gutted but not skinned), snake(skinned), nook(defeathered) and new(skinned) in padkapow, minced bones, eyeballs and all! A real treat!

AS far as being confused, "With great power often comes great confusion. Dan Allen- Seam in Action

Thanks for the update on Eels but I think I'll give it a miss bones and all.

It reminds me of a place I used to go to in BKK that used to do a very good Frog dish very tasty sauce had I think tined mike in it, but they used to chop up the hole Frog head and all into small bit's making it almost inedible.

H/M.

Where you can find good massage in Nakhon Sawan? There were 2 good place near busstation but those are now full of 18yo iphone teenagers who only want give you happy oil massage. Just need someone to work on my back and shoulders.

Going up Dawadeong (with Fairyland behind on the left) at the second 7/Eleven the road forks with Dawadeong going right-ish, go a bit to the left, (in between the food carts) and lesss than a hundred yards up, just after the hotel is a quite respectable looking massage place. Never been in there so cannot vouch for their quality or integrity, but have noticed that they do not seem to offer an oil massage. Sorry do not know the name of the soi or hotel.

Don't go too sharp left as this will take you into Soi Champ.

Just had a phone call for one of the upper crust he's just leaving N/S after going to the visa office and he's been stuck in a traffic jam for over an hour all due to flooding every Ware (Where) cars in ditches roads awash with water, seems like a real hash up.

The weather in K.P.PHET you'll all be pleased to know is sunny but bloody hot as it would be.

H/M.

Edited by fredob43

We haven't had any rain here in the country since early November. Wish that you could divert some my way. If the upper "crumb" was doing his 90 day report all of the BS and resultant complaining could be avoided with a 10 baht stamp and a 37 baht EMS mailing, I mailed mine on Monday and arrived at immgration on Tuesday. If he was doing his extension he could have exited immigration and gone the back way past Baan Issan to the wonderful bypass. If he went out and down to the intersection by Big C he brought it all on himself and deserves whatever he gets! But in keeping with his stature he had to pick up the phone and whinge not realizing that nobody really cares!

Where you can find good massage in Nakhon Sawan? There were 2 good place near busstation but those are now full of 18yo iphone teenagers who only want give you happy oil massage. Just need someone to work on my back and shoulders.

A couple of the Wats do have steam rooms and massage facilities, these people will have seen 18 a long time ago and would not know what an iphone was. So I will try and give you rough details as I dont know the name of the Wats.

First one is in the direction of Pitsanoluk, take the 117 out of town when you cross the river take the first left turn and then the U turn under the bridge, you are now going alongside the road coming from Pitsanoluk but going towards Pitsanoluk. Before you can rejoin the 117 there is a left turn, take it and it will lead you to the Wat, its a left turn into the Wat and then about 100 yards to where you park and where the facilities are.

Second one is a turning off Kosi Road, there is a set of traffic lights on a secondary road bridge over the river, the bridge is about 2 or 3 years old and there is a Tesco almost opposite it, Cross the bridge and turn left at the cross roads on the south side, about 300 yards down the road on the left is the Wat, turn left and park up,

• Like 1

We haven't had any rain here in the country since early November. Wish that you could divert some my way. If the upper "crumb" was doing his 90 day report all of the BS and resultant complaining could be avoided with a 10 baht stamp and a 37 baht EMS mailing, I mailed mine on Monday and arrived at immgration on Tuesday. If he was doing his extension he could have exited immigration and gone the back way past Baan Issan to the wonderful bypass. If he went out and down to the intersection by Big C he brought it all on himself and deserves whatever he gets! But in keeping with his stature he had to pick up the phone and whinge not realizing that nobody really cares!

I don't know why I should explain myself but as your a colonist I will do so.

The Upper crust(not crumb)had to go because it was his yearly new visa 'no one in their right mind would go to N/S for a 90 day one all done by post' Well except for Bill but he go's just to have a ride on his 50cc M/C.

H/M some time ago designed a water sprinkler system for him and he had finished it the day before just waiting for his electrician to turn up.

While he was there getting his new visa he had a phone call from said man that electric was sorted and all working fab. I do believe that he had had some doubt's about it working ok. Oh him of little faith.

Getting stuck in the usual traffic due this time to the heavy rain/floods that was just north of the By-Pass he had time to call me to inform H/M about the sprinkler.

I asked how the visa thing went and was told no problem with the trip except for the Storm and the cars down the ditch.

So for your information he didn't make the call just about the weather there but an entirely different matter.

H/M.

Edited by fredob43

No need to explain I know that you like to winge!

So now it's not just every "ware", it's north of the bypass which is still in NS Province but nothing to do with muang NS or the traffic there -in. Are you sure that a failure of his new water sprinkler system din't cause the flood north of the bypass? I know that it's a long way but a catastropic design problem could be the culprit!

I might be a "colinist" in your mind but i thought that you agreed that a "crust is a crust", "bread is bread" and a "crumb is a crumb"! So any "upper crust" is an "upper crumb. He might be a very nice crumb , but he;'s still a crumb!
!

A farang bar opens in Nakhon Sawan!!!!

Called confuZion, it occupies what was previously a Japanese buffet place, on the quieter side of the lake at the "Dragon" end, more or less opposite The Walk on the other side.

Still in a soft opening phase, it offers decent pricing for an aircon bar, i.e. large beers at 80 baht, except Heineken at 95, JW Red scotch at 60 baht a measure and the Black at 80.

Decor above average to attract the better off Thai, Thai and Western food available also at reasonable prices and good gear it is too.

Not sure whether it is UK or USA owned, possibly a bit of both. Best of luck to them, so far it seems their investment will pay off.

Or Wales... smile.png

It is same building as Sripina Apartment.

Downstair comfy sofas, couple of tables and bar, upstairs one pool table, darts and CTH for EPL.

Some books too to borrow/lend/swap(?), not sure how it works

And beer lao...

AS far as being confused, "With great power often comes great confusion.” Dan Allen- Seam in Action

Thank you for your information which was great until I read the bit about eels. Fortunately I have a trash bin beside my desk to receive the contents of my stomach when reading items like that.It is easier to clean than the keyboard and computer screen. sick.gif.pagespeed.ce.tVTSNn-2vr.png

Edited by billd766

You are welcome to the thunderstorm we had last night.

After the storm had passed I went into Klong Lan to get some dinner at my wifes restaurant and was only 1km away when the rain simply poured down. I was on my motorbike as she has the truck for work and almost got washed away. After I ate I went back home as it was still raining and I was soaked anyway. 1 bolt of lightning hit about 100 metres in front of me but I got the 6 km home OK. I took all my wet things off outside and went upstarirs to get dry and clean clothes to find that I had left the windows open.

I mopped the floor dry just before the power went out for 1 1/2 hours. At least I had enough LED torches to see by and enough whisky and soda too.

I looked around this morning and my wifes' orchid garden was broken up in the high winds. The good news is that the fish pond is about 1/3 full now but full of frogs.

I have no idea what he weather is doing this year.

Also with all this heavy rain the government water has come back on and I am filling my ongs as fast as I can.

Yesterday afternoon it got dark with a lot of thunder so I went and fixed all of my gutter drains to fill the ongs. It rained a total of 5 minutes and then went north.

Since you have a lot of frogs you could get your wife to fix you some phad Kapow ghop. Catch the frogs, bop them on the head, gut them and mince them with a clever, eyeballs, skin, toes, gonads and all. Then pop them in a wok with alittle oil, garlic, naam prick, kapow, msg, soy, chillis and fish sauce. Serve it over rice. To me, it looks, tastes and smells like it should be in the bin but it's a delicasy here and wife wife gets a premiuim price, a whole 35 baht/plate, for it. It makes the eels look appetizing!

Power's off here usually between 1-2 hours a day always at the worst time.

Yesterday afternoon it got dark with a lot of thunder so I went and fixed all of my gutter drains to fill the ongs. It rained a total of 5 minutes and then went north.

Since you have a lot of frogs you could get your wife to fix you some phad Kapow ghop. Catch the frogs, bop them on the head, gut them and mince them with a clever, eyeballs, skin, toes, gonads and all. Then pop them in a wok with alittle oil, garlic, naam prick, kapow, msg, soy, chillis and fish sauce. Serve it over rice. To me, it looks, tastes and smells like it should be in the bin but it's a delicasy here and wife wife gets a premiuim price, a whole 35 baht/plate, for it. It makes the eels look appetizing!

Yes your right it could have been the sprinklers that has caused all the water problem lately. It seems that they work a trite to well. The upper crust has used a large natural pond for the water supply has now nearly drained it it's gone down over a MT in a space of a few hours sprinkling. I did tell him he should use the mains water as well but he said that it would defeat the object of getting it free.

Frog's now there's a thing they do them at a local restaurant served with Garlic and they are delish if they are not cooked to well the crispy skin go's down a treat as well as hooking their brains out with a tooth pick. Must take you there sometime Bill.

Had rain for the first time for over two months in K.P.P town last night lots of noise and flashing of lightning lasted for almost 5 minutes then all over.

Glad to say that we don't get power cuts.

H/M

Edited by fredob43

My wife like many others up here are out in the pouring rain most nights with their led lights catching frogs. Absolutely soaked to the skin and totally crazy too. They did have a big pile of frogs but she knows me well enough NOT to offer them to me. I heard a few bull frogs last night over the fishpond way but as a person of advancing years I stayed in the house with a whisky and. soda or two and left them alone.

New beer place opening 11/4, Paknampho Farm. Stella Artois, Leffe, Hoegaarden etc

https://www.facebook.com/paknampobrewery?ref=stream

https://www.facebook.com/rongbeerpaknampo

Well what can I say other than the staff look very nice. Only hope that the prices aren't through the roof.

Just one Bummer plastic glasses so they might be expecting a few problem during the early hours.

A first hand report would be nice.

My wife like many others up here are out in the pouring rain most nights with their led lights catching frogs. Absolutely soaked to the skin and totally crazy too. They did have a big pile of frogs but she knows me well enough NOT to offer them to me. I heard a few bull frogs last night over the fishpond way but as a person of advancing years I stayed in the house with a whisky and. soda or two and left them alone.

Better to be fed on Bull Frogs than than visit a Mushroom restaurant in Kamphaeng Phet.

Jerry

Better to be fed on Bull Frogs than than visit a Mushroom restaurant in Kamphaeng Phet.

Jerry

They do sell Frogs at the mushroom restaurant. But as H/M has stated/warned all in the past it's at best over priced Crap. Must say though 100% better than eating that cold rubbish sold in the first Big C in N/S it also doesn't have hoards of flies and bug's flitting about.

Have been passed several time's lately and it's always empty looks like there are peeps in there but that's only because they park their own car's in the car park at the front and sit at the front to look like they are doing some sort of trade.

Cunning ploy but it doesn't fool H/M.

If you want great Thai food just go passed the Mushroom on the Tak 1 road through the T/lights go to the left side of the bridge and take the small left turn just before you go under bridge and 50mt later it's on the right next to the river Delish, great food and half the price of the Mushroom.

They seat over 100 peeps and at 7pm every night it's always full of local Thai's must tell you something.

H/M.

Edited by fredob43

A farang bar opens in Nakhon Sawan!!!!

Called confuZion, it occupies what was previously a Japanese buffet place, on the quieter side of the lake at the "Dragon" end, more or less opposite The Walk on the other side.

Still in a soft opening phase, it offers decent pricing for an aircon bar, i.e. large beers at 80 baht, except Heineken at 95, JW Red scotch at 60 baht a measure and the Black at 80.

Decor above average to attract the better off Thai, Thai and Western food available also at reasonable prices and good gear it is too.

Not sure whether it is UK or USA owned, possibly a bit of both. Best of luck to them, so far it seems their investment will pay off.

Or Wales... smile.png

It is same building as Sripina Apartment.

Downstair comfy sofas, couple of tables and bar, upstairs one pool table, darts and CTH for EPL.

Some books too to borrow/lend/swap(?), not sure how it works

And beer lao...

I went passed Confuzion a week ago. Look a nice place. A freindly lady saw me looking and showed me inside. Shame its not open in the daytime

Sent from my GT-I8552B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

For those of you who come to Nakhon Sawan Immigration this might be of interest to you. Mention has been made in the past about a new Pizza Restaurant not far away from Immigration, well, last night I made the trip so here is my run down.

It has been tastefully designed and very clean, its above a 7-11 in Sawanvittee, so when you come out of the Immigration turn left down toward the Police station and left again, 200yards down the road on the other side, there is parking at the back.

They do breakfasts like you remember with hot tea and coffee.

Tonight I had a cheeselovers pizza (199bts) + pepperoni (40bts) very good and thin. You can order a pizza (120bts) and add your own toppings. Also on offer, lasagne, spag/Bol. steaks. fish and chips, sausages, beans, mashed potatoes and more. its worth a look, run by a New Yorker ( dont hold that against him- they were one of our colonies once and they have not done to badly!).

Thanks for the info Nong. Will try this place, Although im new to NS so not sure where the imigration office is

Im new To NS and wondered if there are any decent Hotels here. Would like a few nights out here but the 40 min drive home is a bit far. Thankd

Im new To NS and wondered if there are any decent Hotels here. Would like a few nights out here but the 40 min drive home is a bit far. Thankd

Bonito Chinos, Aramis, The Paradiso JK Design

And for ~500b lots of more, PA group, Ville, Place and Thani. Home resort 1&2, Leelawadee... too many to remember.

btw, I think Confuzion is open sat&sun all day?

Bonito Chinos, Aramis, The Paradiso JK Design

And for ~500b lots of more, PA group, Ville, Place and Thani. Home resort 1&2, Leelawadee... too many to remember.

btw, I think Confuzion is open sat&sun all day?

Thanks so much. really helpful. Looking forward to discovering NS. I hear the Bonbon club has some great music

For those of you who come to Nakhon Sawan Immigration this might be of interest to you. Mention has been made in the past about a new Pizza Restaurant not far away from Immigration, well, last night I made the trip so here is my run down.

It has been tastefully designed and very clean, its above a 7-11 in Sawanvittee, so when you come out of the Immigration turn left down toward the Police station and left again, 200yards down the road on the other side, there is parking at the back.

They do breakfasts like you remember with hot tea and coffee.

Tonight I had a cheeselovers pizza (199bts) + pepperoni (40bts) very good and thin. You can order a pizza (120bts) and add your own toppings. Also on offer, lasagne, spag/Bol. steaks. fish and chips, sausages, beans, mashed potatoes and more. its worth a look, run by a New Yorker ( dont hold that against him- they were one of our colonies once and they have not done to badly!).

Thanks for the info Nong. Will try this place, Although im new to NS so not sure where the imigration office is

You don't state what direction you come into N/S town But if you are coming from the north 1 road travel through the town and at the T/Light's just after Big C on your right turn right and 1.5 km you will see the police station on your left the immigration is down the side road just as you get to the police station. To follow Dave's/Nong instruction just carry past the cops place and it's on the right.

H/M

The address that I mail my 90 day report to is different from the one I posted above, here it is:

90 Days Registration

Nakhon Sawan Immigration

399 Sawanvitee 49 Rd.

Amphoe Muang

Nakhon Sawan 60000 Thailand

Most likely either one will work.