Why Limit How Many Times A Day You Can Use 'Like This' Button?

BookMan

I do wish we could a add a button to each thread to vote on closing a thread. So many threads go way off topic and become a total mess and should just be closed.

And then you'd get a clique clicking away at people they dislike to get their threads closed Jay, it would never work, same as the red and green never worked, now we just have the like button and it's quite plain to see if your watching who's patting each other on the back all the time, but if it gives people pride in having more likes than others then good on em, me personally I don't give a shi*, if someone likes a post I made, so be it, if someone dislikes a post I made, same same, I post what I feel and try to be honest in what I post, not like some of the PC bull shi**ters who post on forums.

Thing is though if you have a read at their posting history you can often find out what a BS merchant they really are.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do wish we could a add a button to each thread to vote on closing a thread. So many threads go way off topic and become a total mess and should just be closed.

Yes, tangents, off-topic discussion and light-heated banter can sometimes be a useful device for maintaining a meaningful discussion. So the this button has the potential to be very good. But actually there is already something like this: i.e. a PM to an admin to suggest or request closure. It would be interesting if the suggested voting closure system would be automatic above a certain number of votes.

Yes, tangents, off-topic discussion and light-heated banter can sometimes be a useful device for maintaining a meaningful discussion. So the this button has the potential to be very good. But actually there is already something like this: i.e. a PM to an admin to suggest or request closure. It would be interesting if the suggested voting closure system would be automatic above a certain number of votes.

They have an automatic one on POF forums, ten votes to close gets rid of a thread, 1 vote 1 person, a reason must be given for thread closure and abuse of the system means you lose your voting right.

Me personally I'm against it, leave it to the mods or admin to decide.

Edited by MB1
  • Like 1

And then you'd get a clique clicking away at people they dislike to get their threads closed Jay, it would never work, same as the red and green never worked, now we just have the like button and it's quite plain to see if your watching who's patting each other on the back all the time, but if it gives people pride in having more likes than others then good on em, me personally I don't give a shi*, if someone likes a post I made, so be it, if someone dislikes a post I made, same same, I post what I feel and try to be honest in what I post, not like some of the PC bull shi**ters who post on forums.

Thing is though if you have a read at their posting history you can often find out what a BS merchant they really are.

I simply give likes for good posts, no matter the poster. Its a pointless system anyway other than offering appreciation to someone.

How many someone has is an irrelevance mostly. The red/green thing just doesn't work on this board...in fact it encourages the juvenile tendencies of some posters.

I'm happy to give a pat on the back...not to a clique though....only for each individual post.

• Like 1

I simply give likes for good posts, no matter the poster. Its a pointless system anyway other than offering appreciation to someone.

How many someone has is an irrelevance mostly. The red/green thing just doesn't work on this board...in fact it encourages the juvenile tendencies of some posters.

I'm happy to give a pat on the back...not to a clique though....only for each individual post.

My pat for you, with compliments!

Edited by Morakot

Its a pointless system anyway other than offering appreciation to someone.

I disagree in part. For example, I have several Youtube videos and the Likes for any given one gives me a feel for how well I produced it and its content which in turn allows me to refine and improve my next one. Not unlike here actually in that I can get an idea what posting style and content works better than other methods. Funny enough, sometimes I get several likes when I take a hard line on a topic. This tells me that members do appreciate an appropriate and measured 'crackdown' when needed.

//edit - I admit I'm a bit stingy on giving Likes as I don't want to come across as appearing biased. But yes, I give them exclusively based on the post content.

You are right. My comment was a bit harsh I think. The best posts on the forum are those which are clearly written with either carefully considered opinion or written in very straight manner with conviction by the poster.

In both cases they shine easily and are the most deserving of my like button.

Edited by smokie36

I admit I'm a bit stingy on giving Likes

Yes, we've noticed coffee1.gif

and they say we Scots are stingy coffee1.gifcoffee1.gif

I prefer the word frugal wink.png

And that is the very reason to have a quota of likes, so people have to be frugal.

• Like 1

I admit I'm a bit stingy on giving Likes

Yes, we've noticed coffee1.gif

and they say we Scots are stingy coffee1.gifcoffee1.gif

I prefer the word frugal wink.png

And that is the very reason to have a quota of likes, so people have to be frugal.

way to bring it around...Well done.

• Like 1

So the only thing that keeps you positive is the number of likes you get Smokie?

No no sbk...I am a very giving person....biggrin.png

Edit: I am asking for a larger quota to hand out to others....should have said "votes" not "posts" in the last post....wink.png

Edited by smokie36

I too thought we should have more of a "karma" type of system with both positive and negative. I even started a thread suggesting it but was quickly told that it doesn't work here and the thread locked.

Personally, if we had a system where trolls could be identified by a neg score then a filter could be implemented in our profiles to give us the choice to auto filter out posters that didn't have a score greater than xx amount. This would give an incentive for those to not post such rubbish as they would quickly find themselves playing to an empty room.

what leads you to believe you would be safe?

I too thought we should have more of a "karma" type of system with both positive and negative. I even started a thread suggesting it but was quickly told that it doesn't work here and the thread locked.

Personally, if we had a system where trolls could be identified by a neg score then a filter could be implemented in our profiles to give us the choice to auto filter out posters that didn't have a score greater than xx amount. This would give an incentive for those to not post such rubbish as they would quickly find themselves playing to an empty room.

Safe from what?

Sent from my GT-I9100T

Safe from what?

Sent from my GT-I9100T

From mean spirited obsessive lunatics who decide to give you 20 dislikes a day ...

Safe from what?

Sent from my GT-I9100T

From mean spirited obsessive lunatics who decide to give you 20 dislikes a day ...

Ah well on other places I have seen this implemented that is not possible. You can't target 1 user with either repeated positive or negative karma. A message comes up and tells you to spread the karma around to other users before giving to this user again. This cuts down on this malicious activity.

If course it's really all a matter of how it's implemented. I only brought it up since I saw it implemented in a positive way and thought it could be helpful here.

Sent from my GT-I9100T

Ah well on other places I have seen this implemented that is not possible. You can't target 1 user with either repeated positive or negative karma. A message comes up and tells you to spread the karma around to other users before giving to this user again. This cuts down on this malicious activity.

If course it's really all a matter of how it's implemented. I only brought it up since I saw it implemented in a positive way and thought it could be helpful here.

Sent from my GT-I9100T

Not here. When they had dislikes, there were no such limits.

Sorry, but bringing back dislikes is an AWFUL idea. The likes thing is inane enough!

How about using your own brain to filter out users you don't appreciate? I know you have one. Either don't read their stuff or put them on ignore manually rather than rely on some arbitrary number of negatives that you have no idea were justified or not.

Similar to likes. Yes I have a lot of likes. So what? I doubt people read me (or not) based on my likes total, high or low. The likes system is also bogus and very open to abuse, for example people giving personal friends MASSIVE numbers of likes. (You know who you are ... ) All in all, the entire likes (or dislikes) system is massively JUVENILE.

Edited by Jingthing

Sent from my GT-I9100T

Not here. When they had dislikes, there were no such limits.

Sorry, but bringing back dislikes is an AWFUL idea. The likes thing is inane enough!

How about using your own brain to filter out users you don't don't? I know you have one. Either don't read their stuff or put them on ignore manually rather than rely on some arbitrary number of negatives that you have no idea were justified or not.

Can't see any positives coming from a Dislike button

• Like 1

I agree that the greatest feature here is the ignore. I had never used that before a few months ago. That is a much better way to get past the truly worthless posters. I only wish that the ignore feature worked correctly on the mobile apps.

Sent from my GT-I9100T

BTW, there is SOME value I see in the current like system here.

That is at the POST level rather than the silly sum total level associated with posters.

In other words, if a specific post receives enough likes to be pegged "Popular" I think that can be a useful feature to know that this CONTENT (rather than the poster) was liked by a number of people. Not necessarily better content in that, but it can be interesting to see the type of post that inspires a number of people to click Like.

I guess I'm also coming from forums that are less bitching, moaning, arguing, and insults and more about sharing info, expertise, and support. Basically forums for learning.

But here where it's mostly about opinions and attitudes the system of (dis)like would not be well suited.

Sent from my GT-I9100T

• Like 1

I guess I'm also coming from forums that are less bitching, moaning, arguing, and insults and more about sharing info, expertise, and support. Basically forums for learning.

But here where it's mostly about opinions and attitudes the system of (dis)like would not be well suited.

Sent from my GT-I9100T

By George, I think you've got it!thumbsup.gif

Sent from my GT-I9100T

By George, I think you've got it!thumbsup.gif

Don't even get me started on George. I'll probably get banned.

Sent from my GT-I9100T

I'm confused ... where do the 'Likes' that we are referring to appear now?

just down the bottom right hand side of the screen mate. I don't think mine is working properly. Could you give it a few clicks and see if it is okay? Cheers.

Edited by BookMan
  • Like 2

just down the bottom right hand side of the screen mate. I don't think mine is working properly. Could you give it a few clicks and see if it is okay? Cheers.

I hit it a couple times for you.. seems to work just fine.. :)

• Like 1

Unless it's your own post, than there is not like button for you.