TAT To Unveil Miracle Thailand 2012 Campaign

webfact

TAT to unveil Miracle Thailand 2012 campaign

mircleTH2012.jpeg

BANGKOK, 24 February 2012 (NNT) - The Thai tourism authority is set to unveil a new campaign to promote the country's tourism in the southern region.

Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) Governor Suraphon Svetasreni said that the TAT is now working on the promotional plan dubbed “Miracle Thailand 2015”, which will be officially launched during March 29th to April 1st at Muang Thong Thani.

Mr. Suraphon revealed that the new campaign will be implemented with an emphasis on the newness of various tourist attractions, which are expected to give travelers to Thailand an impression of amazement and wonder.

Such attractions include the trout farm and the koala house at Chiang Mai Zoo as well other featured destinations from the previously-launched Unseen Thailand and Amazing Thailand projects.

Regarding the upcoming launch of the Miracle Thailand 2012 campaign, the event is set to feature select royal project, famous Thai cultural events and traditional celebrations, popular regional tourist destinations, world-renown Thai dishes, as well as Muay Thai and Thai massage.

The TAT boss hopes that the details of the new project will be concluded by next week.

In related news, the TAT has reported that tourist arrivals during February 1st and 21st at Suvarnabhumi International Airport have dropped 0.40% on-year to 904,240.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-02-24 footer_n.gif

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best of luck with that.

Current Australian travel advisory (Tuesday, 14 February 2012)

http://www.smartrave...Advice/Thailand

Terrorism

Several explosions occurred on 14 February 2012 on Soi Pridiphanomyong, in the area of Sukhumvit Soi 71, Bangkok. Five people were injured, including an individual who has since been charged in relation to the incident. Thai authorities are investigating and several arrests have been made. Earlier, in January 2012, Thai authorities made an arrest and seized materials in Bangkok in relation to an alleged terrorist plot targeting tourist areas. The Thai investigation into this incident is ongoing. Australians should monitor the media for further developments and follow the instructions of local authorities in the event of another incident.

Australians should be aware that there is a threat of terrorist attack in Thailand, including in Bangkok. We continue to receive reports that terrorists may be planning attacks against a range of targets, including locations frequented by tourists and foreigners.

Thai authorities have on a number of occasions warned of the possibility of bombings in Thailand to coincide with symbolic dates or holidays, including in Bangkok and the southern provinces.

In planning your activities, consider the kinds of places known to be terrorist targets and the level of security provided. These include places frequented by foreigners such as embassies, shopping malls, markets, banks, clubs, hotels, restaurants, bars, nightclubs, schools, places of worship, outdoor recreation events, beach resorts and tourist areas. Public buildings, public transport, airports and sea ports are also potential targets for attack.

Southern provinces - Yala, Pattani, Narathiwat and Songkhla: We strongly advise you not to travel at this time to the southern provinces of Yala, Pattani, Narathiwat and Songkhla, or overland to and from the Malaysian border through these provinces due to high levels of ongoing violence in these regions. This includes travel by train between Thailand and Malaysia.

In recent years almost daily attacks, many of which have caused deaths and serious injuries, have taken place in these areas. Bombings and shootings are commonplace in these areas. Arson and beheadings have occurred. The Thai Government has warned tourists not to travel to these areas.

Since January 2004, there has been heightened tension in these four southern provinces, where there continues to be violent incidents. Over 4,000 people have reportedly been killed and many more injured, including foreigners. An Australian was one of seven people injured in a bomb blast in Yala province in May 2007.

Bombings can occur in close succession and proximity to target those responding to the initial explosions. Over the past few years, there have been numerous instances of multiple explosions occurring across a range of locations in southern Thailand.

Targets have included civilians and members of the security forces, tourist hotels and bars, banks, cinemas and other entertainment venues, shops, markets, supermarkets, schools, places of worship, petrol stations, transport infrastructure including Hat Yai international airport, railways and trains. Further such incidents cannot be ruled out and could occur at anytime.

Recent attacks include:

• on 16 September 2011, six people were killed - including four Malaysian tourists - and over 100 injured in a coordinated attack of three bombs in Sungai Kolok town, Narathiwat Province;
  • on 8 September 2011, a school teacher was killed in Raman district, Yala Province;
  • on 26 August 2011, seven security personnel were killed by a 15kg bomb when they attended the scene of an earlier shooting in Narathiwat Province.

Australians in Yala, Pattani, Narathiwat and Songkhla provinces may be caught up in violence or terrorist attacks directed at others. If you are in these provinces, you should consider leaving. If you decide to stay in the southern provinces, you should ensure you have the appropriate personal security measures in place.

Edited by Reasonableman

BANGKOK, 24 February 2012 (NNT) - The Thai tourism authority is set to unveil a new campaign to promote the country's tourism in the southern region.

Such attractions include the trout farm and the koala house at Chiang Mai Zoo as well other featured destinations from the previously-launched Unseen Thailand and Amazing Thailand projects.

What is this 2 quotes above, promote southern region and Chiang Mai.

Did they move Chiang Maii to south?

Ummm, these are hardly unique attractions. Unlikely to draw the Oz crowd, who already have an oversupply of trout farms, koalas, etc. For other visitors, I have no idea, perhaps they are drawcards. Anyway, it might still be best to continue promoting what is uniquely Thai. These refocus add-ons just don't fit IMHO.

Maybe the TAT guys should get out of the country more often. Travel around Europe, the Americas, Australia, Africa and even other Asian countries, and they will see that Thailand doesn't really have that much to offer. There aren't even any good treks in the country. Beaches are dirty and covered in hawkers. I don't know why anyone would want to come here on holiday if it weren't for the sex-tourism.

• Like 2

Ummm, these are hardly unique attractions. Unlikely to draw the Oz crowd, who already have an oversupply of trout farms, koalas, etc. For other visitors, I have no idea, perhaps they are drawcards. Anyway, it might still be best to continue promoting what is uniquely Thai. These refocus add-ons just don't fit IMHO.

TAT is animistic to the core. If they say it, it will happen. Will it?

Thais are uniquely wrapped in their Thainess that they cannot see beyond the scope of what they perceive is reality.

There is a critical disconnect between officials (and Thais in general) and the world they live in. I keep telling my good Thai friends that Farangland is not a huge country populated by white people.

Animism of Theravada Buddhism tells them from an early age that spirits will go to their assistance if summoned properly with the right offerings. That translates into the idea that if they wish it and they say it, it will happen. During the last flood of 2011 (a seasonal phenomenon that is inherent to the region for ions), the powers that be went to wats with offerings to appease the deities of the waters. What was the result? 2 months later after the flood started I went to visit a friend in Salaya, (right before entering into Nakhon Pathom), and I had to wade in water up to my knees and board an army truck to get to the main road (Borommaratchachonani) to get back to Pinklao. This new TAT campaign will be a costly exercise in futility.

When it fails, then they will come up with another slogan. Will they ever address safety of tourists in LOS? Chiang Mai was plagued with "coincidental deaths" last year and this year has the worst pollution in years but, TAT will promote Chiang Mai while doing nothing to improve safety and quality of life for tourists. I am in Chiang Mai and I know first hand how bad the situation is.

• Like 2

Thais are uniquely wrapped in their Thainess that they cannot see beyond the scope of what they perceive is reality.

There is a critical disconnect between officials (and Thais in general) and the world they live in. I keep telling my good Thai friends that Farangland is not a huge country populated by white people.

Animism of Theravada Buddhism tells them from an early age that spirits will go to their assistance if summoned properly with the right offerings. That translates into the idea that if they wish it and they say it, it will happen. During the last flood of 2011 (a seasonal phenomenon that is inherent to the region for ions), the powers that be went to wats with offerings to appease the deities of the waters. What was the result? 2 months later after the flood started I went to visit a friend in Salaya, (right before entering into Nakhon Pathom), and I had to wade in water up to my knees and board an army truck to get to the main road (Borommaratchachonani) to get back to Pinklao. This new TAT campaign will be a costly exercise in futility.

When it fails, then they will come up with another slogan. Will they ever address safety of tourists in LOS? Chiang Mai was plagued with "coincidental deaths" last year and this year has the worst pollution in years but, TAT will promote Chiang Mai while doing nothing to improve safety and quality of life for tourists. I am in Chiang Mai and I know first hand how bad the situation is.

Yes, sadly the culture is forestalled by this "Magical Thinking", say it is so and puff! it will be so.

I dread derailing the thread, but a perfect example was Thaksin declaring Thailand a drug-free country.

Grandiose declarations and then nothing meaningful gets really done.

• Like 1

Maybe the TAT powers that be should rethink the word "miracle". It has a very specific, religious meaning to a lot of Catholic Christians. If another country, nominally Christian, started promoting itself by using a specifically Buddhist term, then there are many precedents that show that Thailand, and its government, would be foremost in complaining to the world about the misuse of its religion and its terminology.

Yes, sadly the culture is forestalled by this "Magical Thinking", say it is so and puff! it will be so.

I dread derailing the thread, but a perfect example was Thaksin declaring Thailand a drug-free country.

Ah yes; and Mr T also proclaimed that Thailand was already a developed country !

I was sort of hoping after this ridiculous phrase was trashed on TV that last time around, that someone from TAT might possibility read TV, come to their senses, and change it. But I guess not. Instead of these absurd campaigns wasting millions of baht, they would be far better off to actually address the the many problems that tourists face here. So that way, every single tourist that comes and has a good time, will go back home and sing praises of Thailand. This then encourages their friends to come. Instead all the tourists that come here and get ripped off, will go back home and tell all their friends to not even think of coming here. Guess I am just dreaming, this is way too much forward thinking......

• Like 2

I love your " magical thinking" phrase !!!!!!! Fits Thailand quite well, but fits TAT exactly..... :-) I have seen Thailand use this concept many times, I simply had no idea it had a Wikipedia entry..

As another member noted already, at least make the slogan grammatically correct if you are going to advertise to English speakers! Correctly phrased in proper English, it should be: "The miracle of Thailand" or better yet an active command, such as, "Enjoy the Miracle of Thailand".

Far better would be something that avoids the religious connotation of "miracle" altogether.

How about: "Adventure In Thailand!" That statement (which is also a suggested action) would encourage those seeking a lively and interesting holiday with action and activity that will drive the type of tourists who spend more money inside Thailand, vs. the ones who just laze about drinking and sitting on the beach all day. Thailand has many beautiful and interesting sites and activities which are rare in most first world countries; but most tourists are not aware of these. So those active, adventurous, and interesting things to do in Thailand are worthy of promoting.

Hello TAT are you listening?

Maybe the TAT guys should get out of the country more often. Travel around Europe, the Americas, Australia, Africa and even other Asian countries, and they will see that Thailand doesn't really have that much to offer. There aren't even any good treks in the country. Beaches are dirty and covered in hawkers. I don't know why anyone would want to come here on holiday if it weren't for the sex-tourism.

That is totally true. There is absolutely zilch to see in Thailand. Culture? nope. Shopping? Nope. Wildlife and National Parklands? Nope. Well, aside from being the hub or transit for drugs, wildlife smugglers, human trafficking, sex tours, scam training, I cannot see any other attractions in Thailand.

• Like 1

Current Australian travel advisory (Tuesday, 14 February 2012)

http://www.smartrave...Advice/Thailand

Possibly what the Big Brains at TAT are thinking is, if you come to Thailand, it will be a Miracle if you don't get scammed, extorted threatened and robbed by jet ski owners, robbed, assaulted and/or raped by taxi drivers, night club staff, ladyboys, or even passersby, pulled over and extorted by police, charged radically higher prices for everything (if you're not of Asian ethnicity), or in general be treated not as a human being but a walking unfeeling ATM whose sole purpose in life here must be to give away your money. A fun, safe, crime free holiday could truly be viewed as a Miracle Thailand, so it certainly seems to be a good slogan, especially for visiting Phuket.

• Like 2