Rangsima Wants Alcohol Tests For MPs In House

Lite Beer

Rangsima wants alcohol tests for MPs in House

The Nation on Sunday

30176700-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK:-- Following a war of words on the House floor on Friday night, during which she accused Deputy Premier Chalerm Yoobamrung of being drunk while at a Parliamentary meeting, Samut Songkhram Democrat MP Rangsima Rodrasami has suggested that an alcohol-testing device be installed to prevent inebriated MPs from disrupting House sessions.

Chalerm, who interrupted Opposition leader Abhisit Vejjajiva's closing speech, denied on the House floor that he was drunk, joking that he was just "intoxicated by love".

Rangsima said Chalerm held the position of deputy prime minister in charge of national security and tabled the charter amendment draft, but could not deliver a closing a statement. She said he could not carry out his duty because he was drunk.

"Chalerm cannot deny that he was drunk because there is a video clip of a House meeting which makes it crystal clear that he was. I was a nurse and used to clean up messes made by drunks. I know there were many MPs who were drunk, but only a few attended the meeting to cause turmoil. The culprits are already 'dead'. If this incident happened in another country, they would have quit already," she said yesterday.

Rangsima said she would propose at the House meeting on Wednesday that measures be found to prevent intoxicated MPs from attending meetings. She would also call for the House Ethics Committee to investigate the incident.

Rangsima urged the public not to vote for MPs who misbehave in the next election.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra reportedly called a meeting with Chalerm after being informed that the House session was briefly suspended due to the allegation of drunkenness.

Meanwhile, Democrat Party deputy spokesperson Mallika Boonmeetrakool called on Yingluck to rein in male MPs who allegedly intimidate and act disrespectfully towards female MPs.

She said following the incident in which some male MPs drank alcohol in Parliament, disrupted debate and intimidated Rangsima, Yingluck as a woman and the government leader who hand-picked and appointed ministers should admonish and discipline Pheu Thai MPs so they respect women and treat them with dignity.

"How can Yingluck run the government if her Cabinet members do not know their duty, time and place? How is Yingluck going to control her Cabinet and her party MPs, if she cannot rein in them?'' she said.

Mallika also accused red-shirt leaders from the Northeast of verbally attacking Rangsima by calling out her parents' name. She called on National Police Chief Pol Gen Priewpan Damapong to take action against them.

She said she was ready to fight the libel suit filed against her by Yingluck over the Four Seasons Hotel controversy, adding that she was carrying out her duty as an MP to check on the country's number one public figure.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-02-26

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We just had a Scottish MP arrested at the House of Parliament for head butting one Tory and setting about a few others. Some people would cheer at that, anyway......

The Thai parliament looks like it's a big enough rabble without adding in alcohol too, so it's probably a good idea.

On the other hand, some of these poor bugg*rs must need to turn to the drink to face the prospect of another day sifting through the minefield which is Thai politics drunk.gif . Chances are some of the heckling would raise the level of debate biggrin.png

The whole attitude of many of those in the majority seems to have degrenated to a level which could be compared to the rape, plunder, and pillage, after the enemy is defeated. They seem to display an attitude of self entitlement vs their pledge to serve the people. What an example for the world and Thailand when we see and hear what are reguarded by some, as educated leaders acting the complete <deleted>

He indeed had a great wit, although on this topic disingenuous. It appears he was often drunk in the mornings, as well. There has been a lot of "speculation" that he was an alcoholic, but there is little agreement. A man for his times, not necessarily a role model for all times. ;-)

Too bad Thai politicians have not the wits of a Churchill : "Yes, madam, I am drunk. But in the morning I will be sober, and you will still be ugly. "

He indeed had a great wit, although on this topic disingenuous. It appears he was often drunk in the mornings, as well. There has been a lot of "speculation" that he was an alcoholic, but there is little agreement. A man for his times, not necessarily a role model for all times. ;-)

He paid the price at the end of his life.

Are times so hard in the Thai parliment that Khun Rangsima had to bring her own lunch to work, it would appear based on the photo that she likes noodles and fish !

Drunken MP's in the Thai parliment, a few rice farmers enjoying a drop lao khao,......amateurs compared with the British house of Lords, who are professional drinkers and knights of the relm to boot...

I say make free booze availible in the house, they may actually start talking sense with a few drinks in them

• Like 1

Are times so hard in the Thai parliment that Khun Rangsima had to bring her own lunch to work, it would appear based on the photo that she likes noodles and fish !

Drunken MP's in the Thai parliment, a few rice farmers enjoying a drop lao khao,......amateurs compared with the British house of Lords, who are professional drinkers and knights of the relm to boot...

I say make free booze availible in the house, they may actually start talking sense with a few drinks in them

Yes let them drink but not between 2 pm and 5 pm and midnight and 9 am. Same as us others!

Oh .. Isn't alcohol banned in all government offices?

Edited by petedk
  • Like 1

Yes let them drink but not between 2 pm and 5 pm and midnight and 9 am. Same as us others!

I'm sure there's a 7/11 in or near the parliament buildings. The MPs can easily stock up before 2pm for the afternoon.

• Like 1

Isnt it mandatory to wear a helmet when riding a motorbike

Isnt mandatory to wear a seat belt and drive at the speed limits

Isnt it illegal to bribe public officials

dont quite understand point your trying to make LOL...drunk.gif

• Like 1

I'm sure there's a 7/11 in or near the parliament buildings. The MPs can easily stock up before 2pm for the afternoon.

The most frequent conversation in the local 7-11 would have to be:

Staff - I'm sorry sir, but it is illegal to sell alcohol between 2 and 5 pm.

Polly - Do you know who I am?

... snip

I thought it was just another of those over the top attempts at product placement like the coffee mugs on the news.

There are several stages of alcoholics in the work place, functional, is one that those who know/excerise their limits and adhere to them. Then there are those who feel invincable and brillant after their professed two drinks. add those groups whose racial background makes them less tolerant to the effect of the demon rum, and a ready made slob is created. Chalerm, from past performance appears to fit in the latter two groups, plus several other undesirable personal personality traits, which would make a comparasion to Mr Churchill seem like another failed attempt to make a silk purse from a sows ear.

• Like 1

There are several stages of alcoholics in the work place, functional, is one that those who know/excerise their limits and adhere to them. Then there are those who feel invincable and brillant after their professed two drinks. add those groups whose racial background makes them less tolerant to the effect of the demon rum, and a ready made slob is created. Chalerm, from past performance appears to fit in the latter two groups, plus several other undesirable personal personality traits, which would make a comparasion to Mr Churchill seem like another failed attempt to make a silk purse from a sows ear.

My apologies for re-directing you again, but Chalerm would most certainly be on the other end of the pig to a sow's ear.

It is illegal to drive while drunk but not to make decisions affecting the nation - those not already made in Dubai that is. In chess terms, it is understandable perhaps that the knight becomes drunk to forget the shame when he sold his power to become the black king's pawn.

Congratulations.You have been nominated for the Sriracha John award for bringing Thaksin into a thread where he has no connection.

... snip

I thought it was just another of those over the top attempts at product placement like the coffee mugs on the news.

She's actually running a small shop to supplement her meagre pay.

You'd think someone who likes to speak of their experience in the medical profession would have been able to find a better plastic surgeon. Or maybe she requested "same-same Michael Jackson nose."

I agree that she's no oil painting but I can accept a bit of ugly in a Polly in exchange for the ability (and willingness) to make a clear and logical argument, to show up for parliament sittings, and to actually want to improve her country. That the lady has actually experienced what us peasants call work is an added bonus.

• Like 1

Everybody seems to have forgotten where that picture of K'Rangsima comes from. It is from the time she questioned the 800 baht flood relief bags and she brought samples of the goods in the bags.

Of course, that matter died a slow death, too. Turned out the goods in the bags did NOT represent a vlue of 800 baht.

Gee, what a surprise....

Edited by EvilDrSomkid
  • Like 1