Where To Bring Visitors To See Elephants?

junglechef

Sure this topic has discussed before but the search engine doesn't seem to work for me and looking for the most recent info.

A friend would like to see elephants and I first thought of Nature Elephant Park as I'd prefer to see them in as close to natural state but w/3 young boys at 2500 bht per person it bit much for a quick look. Anybody have any suggestions?

Edited by junglechef

@junglechef - What is it about elephants that you wish your friend to see?

Please be mindful about promoting that tourists would like to see an elephant paint, play football, dance or ride a bike, as that is apparently what many thai people think toursist want to see.

If you do not think a trip to Elephant Nature Park is where you want to go then perhaps a visit to Friends of Asian Elephants at Lampang to see recovering elephants being cared for would be appropriate.

However, Elephant Nature Park is as near natural setting as you will find to see 35 Elephants.

Please do not forget, that a wild animal has been tamed to be calm & controlled in a tourist area. That training is something you would not want to discuss here as it would bring further shame on thailands tourism.

Ally

Edited by Allyt
  • Like 1

That's the price they gave me and I told them that w/3 kids we only wanted to look at the animals. Do you know where these places are, I once, for 200 bht I think, watch them bath elephants and you could buy food and feed them, at a place on the right of the road to Chiang Dao, thought that was Elephant Nature Park but not sure so I called and they couldn't tell me how to get there. Spoke to Maetaman but they can't give me directions either and neither of their websites have map or directions.

It is sad that it is more expensive to visit the park that cares for them than it is to watch them perform and ride them. The web for Elephant Nature Park does say that kids under 12 are 1,600.

Personally, I don't see spending 8 hours there just feeding them and washing them and eating some Thai buffet is worth 2K or that most tourist kids especially want to do that all day.

The Mae Sa elephant camp in Mae Rim is "touristy" only in the sense that they draw large crowds. Since it is a fairly large place, it does not really matter. It's not like you have to stand in line, or push through throngs of people, not even in the high season. And watching elephants playing football is not the only thing you can do there. You can observe elephants in their open air enclosures, feed them with vegetables sold by the operators, take a ride, or watch them take a bath. You can get very close and interact with the animals. Last year they had a young calf, which was a joy to see. It's a great place; we often take visitors there.

Cheers, CMX

• Like 1

Maetaman is very well signposted

Go to and through Mae Taeng on the 107. It's pretty much "flat" up to the last set of traffic lights at the north end of mae taeng. Go straight through those lights and begin to climb the hill. After about 800m of winding up the hill there's a well signposted turn to the left - then 8km and you're at maetaman. You can also follow the signs for Rawee Waree Resort it's next door to the elephants.

If you want to look on Google Maps, look for Kuet Chang

http://g.co/maps/h9uup

The Mae Sa elephant camp in Mae Rim is "touristy" only in the sense that they draw large crowds. Since it is a fairly large place, it does not really matter. It's not like you have to stand in line, or push through throngs of people, not even in the high season. And watching elephants playing football is not the only thing you can do there. You can observe elephants in their open air enclosures, feed them with vegetables sold by the operators, take a ride, or watch them take a bath. You can get very close and interact with the animals. Last year they had a young calf, which was a joy to see. It's a great place; we often take visitors there.

Cheers, CMX

Out of interest how much does it cost to go there ? And what did the young calf elephant do that was such a joy to see ?

Thank very much

Ally

I think Elephant Nature Park is a tourist rip-off, plain and simple. Just look at the prices they try to charge, to leech on misplaced guilt by well meaning tourists.

Maetaman (mentioned above) is indeed a very well run operation, and well worth a visit. My second choice would be the Lampang Elephant Hospital & Conservation Center.

BTW, it's debatable if Asian elephants truly qualify as 'wild' animals as they have been domesticated long long ago, just like horses, buffalo and pigs. Of course there are wild Asian elephants too, just like there are wild pigs, but that doesn't suddenly make it a horrible irresponsible practice to keep and farm elephants for any purpose when done properly and with the animal's well-being in primary focus. (Unless of course you also consider this wrong for horses, buffalo and dolphin shows, then the statement is at least logical and valid within itself.)

So anyway: Mae Taeng. Lot's of other interesting stuff nearby too. It's a great place, your kids will have a great time, and the elephants are very well cared for. Try to get there early in the morning.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

"Lampang Elephant Hospital & Conservation Center."

I find it surprising Winnie that you recommend this place but have such contempt for the Elephant Nature Park.

At least the Elephant Nature park doesn't keep animals that suffer alive so they can get more donations.

Cheers, CMX

Out of interest how much does it cost to go there ? And what did the young calf elephant do that was such a joy to see ?

Thank very much

Ally

It's not very expensive, perhaps 200 THB p/p.

Again, befriend a tuk tuk driver that works the tourist areas. They are given loads of complimentary tickets for all the tourists spots as well as discount coupons for Khum Kantoke, C.M. Cultural Center and so forth.

"Lampang Elephant Hospital & Conservation Center."

I find it surprising Winnie that you recommend this place but have such contempt for the Elephant Nature Park.

At least the Elephant Nature park doesn't keep animals that suffer alive so they can get more donations.

Not sure why it's surprising. Lampang is a well run government sponsored facility. They are open to visitors and do exhibitions (in fairly good taste; showing the elephants agility and ability in tasks originally related to the logging industry, so without going into circus acts), but don't charge insane amounts of money for it.

Also it does not surprise me that they keep providing care no matter what; it's a Buddhist country where putting any animal to sleep is not common practice.

Recall the case of Motala and other elephants stepping on landmines. Common knowledge in the West is to put those asleep.

Not here.

http://www.eyesofthailand.com/

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Not sure why it's surprising. Lampang is a well run government sponsored facility. They are open to visitors and do exhibitions (in fairly good taste; showing the elephants agility and ability in tasks originally related to the logging industry, so without going into circus acts), but don't charge insane amounts of money for it.

Also it does not surprise me that they keep providing care no matter what; it's a Buddhist country where putting any animal to sleep is not common practice.

Recall the case of Motala and other elephants stepping on landmines. Common knowledge in the West is to put those asleep.

Not here.

http://www.eyesofthailand.com/

FAE is where Motalas care too place, not at the so called wonderful place next door you refer to.

Friends of Asian Elephants FAE is a small non government sponsored caring place that has to put up with bullying tactics just like most other NGO's and certainly does not receive any government funding.

The fact is, government sponsored / run places put on shows because it is seen as an earning tourist attraction. The majority of westerners coming here get taken to a show and by the looks of this thread so far, many Thaivisa posters take their families & friends too and the crowds that flock to these places generate a huge income for the people involved... everyone involved.

From the people in the forest stealing the baby, hiding it in villages whilst it is trained in the horrific manner which you can see for yourselves here ...

To the middle men who then have paid 300,000 for the baby to be captured through to delivering it to the buyer

To the many elephant camps that pay 1million baht for a trained baby that will perform as a controlled elephant

If people need to see wild animals then they should go into the wild and see them. If they wish to pay someone to humiliate a wild animal then they must admit and be looked on by others as such.

Ally

^ Thank you; I thought they were associated with the nearby elephant hospital. The latter is open to public visits, not sure if/how visits can be arranged to FAE? (or if it's even appropriate to visit)? It seems easy to combine it with the Lampang Elephant Conversation Center. (And making sure to donate at FAE)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Thanks for the info and opinions. To answer the question I'm not sure what my friend wants to see, after visiting the islands she's coming to CM for a day and wants see a temple and an elephant. I told her we have both and will bring her to see them. I personally prefer to see animals in their natural habitat and I go into the wild. Perhaps I won't see a tiger in Thailand, which is probably best for their survival, but elephants are easily seen. Along with all the politics etc. I sometimes find that good can come out of any experience. Many people said I should not visit Burma for many reasons but I found it amazing and came back with a better understanding of the peoples plight and a new found interest in helping them. Not that I personally get any enjoyment out of a zoo, perhaps my friend will fall in love with these noble beasts, decide to learn more about their plight and end up getting more involved. And I'll be sure to teach the kids I'm taking with "the rest of the story".

Take the Mae Rim Road to the New Pai Road intersection and take a left toward Pai. Go about 5 kilometers to the next light and go through the light and then make a u-turn around the median and turn left. There are signs there for "Rai Wanida" and "Lisu Lodge." There is a forest department office on the corner. Go up the road about 5 kilometers and there is an elephant camp (whatever you want to call it) with about 6 elephants on the left side of the road. I think the name is Chang Elephant Camp or something. They used to be down the street a few kilometers near the village of Baan Chang and had a guest house attached but moved a few months ago. Sometimes there is a few people around in the morning but I never see them very busy. You can do what you want with the elephants. Ride then, wash them in the stream or probably do the mahout routine or even probably just have drinks and walk around. The elephants wander around the property. It's about 100 baht or 200 baht an hour to ride them but don't quote me as I'm not sure of their prices since they have moved. My property is across the street. FYI if you follow this street all the way till it ends it is where the river raft tours go down the river to the elephant camps in Mae Tang. The Elephant Nature Park is also up there where it joins with the road that comes up from Mae Tang. There is also another small elephant camp on the same road at about 3-3.5 kilometers that also has a few elephants.

Most of the elephant camps offer similar experiences. If you have a full day then head up to one of the smaller and more intimate camps around Mae Tang and then combine it with a visit to the caves up at Chiang Dao. If you are more limited on time then go to the Mae Sa camp where you can combine it with any number of different tourist activities and still be back in town early in the afternoon.