Fish And Shrimp Farm

David48

Actually I do combination of Dom's method and feed as well. I'm over stocked so run O-2, 24/7. As I start selling I will stop with the feed volume I use now. The feed I'm usin for the big Pond where most of the fish are is 16.5% protien.

I have a smaller pond with less fish, that I will use as grow out and catch pond. I'm currently running an experiment to see if 25% protien will really make a difference or not . The 16.5 % is 370 a bag. the 25% your talking 470 baht. So it would have to be a big difference to make it worth while. Only one way to find out give it a try. This being our first year and making a lot of mistakes. But, they are lessons well earned and I will remember them.

Our first try with Plla Nin 2K fish, everyone was eaten by a predator fish. So this time we put them in cages till they were big enough to fight back. To date we have lost 20 fish out of 2K. I wasn't really expecting that. So hence we are over stocked.. I will start selling when they are about a half kilo, till I get it back to about 1K.

Then I will let them grow out to a full Kilo, before I sale them.

We are using low voltage pumps for air and have yet to pay an electric bill a we are under the minimum usage.

Now if I can beat Dom to the shrimp next year I will add the as well. cheesy.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I could still go a kilo of pre-cooked prawns.

Surely there must be an opening there for some young enthusiastic person to investigate a potentially great enterprise.

I'll just sit amongst my banana and palm oil trees and wait with beer in hand, hoping to shell my first prawn in LOS........I know.......

......in my dreams.

But it doesn't hurt to dream.

• Like 1

I could still go a kilo of pre-cooked prawns.

Surely there must be an opening there for some young enthusiastic person to investigate a potentially great enterprise.

I'll just sit amongst my banana and palm oil trees and wait with beer in hand, hoping to shell my first prawn in LOS........I know.......

......in my dreams.

But it doesn't hurt to dream.

Thais are not big on buying pre- cooked prawns as they cook them in various dishes,plus it is easier to ascertain the freshness of a green (uncooked prawn)

Almost every market has uncooked prawns and it is as simple as abc to toss them in a pot of salted boiling water or bbq them as your wants dictates.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

I have been reading this and other posts as , although I live in the same area as the op's girlfriend , we have some land in Yasothon/Ubon but currently dont use it.

I was watching a program in the UK a while back , and the presenter is an english chef named Rick Stein. Anyway to cut a long story short , he was at sea on a shrimp boat and as the catch was being landed , it was put straight into a massive pot of boiling water.

The reason for this was that the shrimps flesh went mushy after a few hour out of the water and were of no retail value as food , hence the need to boil them straight away while still fresh. They were only put in the water for a minute or so.

This was for shrimps , so not sure if it would be the same for prawns , I dont think so because you can buy fresh prawns in the supermarkets.

Just my two cents worth.

ps , keep up the great posts wai.gif

I should add that this was not a big prawn boat , but a 1 or 2 man operation.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So, for my 2,999th post ... a new addition to the Farm.

There was a recent Shrimp/Prawn Harvest at the Farm …12 or 13 nets overnight with a similar result.

That catch was somewhere between 5 – 10 kgs.

The full orange container, when full, is a tad over 30 kilos of Prawns

The man in the Pond is the Thai gf’s Uncle

For something different they tried some crabs in the Fish/Shrimp/Prawn pond.

Each small crab was bought for 10 Baht (family friend) about 30 small crabs and were somewhere 30 – 50 millimetres across the shell.

When they are a marketable/edible size they will double in size and worth about 250 Baht retail, at the Market.

No idea about the name of the crustacean.

Plans to catch them are through the Shrimp/Prawn net.

No special needed.

Taste was exceptional apparently ... licklips.gif

post-104736-0-35543000-1345868176_thumb.

... a different type of Boat People.

Well, it's my 3,000th post and I want to be in my favourite place, talking with the friendliest people here and a subject I like.

post-104736-0-29408200-1345868173_thumb.

For those not familiar, the gf's Parents Fish and Shrimp/Prawn Farm is essentually land locked and most of the transport to/from the Farm is by the local version of a long boat.

Being quite difficult to egress, the Farm doesn't suffer from the current ailment of fish thieves ... plus, in accord with many places in Thailand, the Farm's various ponds are surrounded by various Aunts and Uncles.

Arriving home from School.

Farm Mother and Father works their as*ses off and they have my respect ... I am currently climbing that ladder to gain theirs.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I posted a while back about riasing prawns in a hapa and said I would update later. The short version goes like this. There was a hole in the net and they escaped into the pond and we occasionally catch on on hook and line but haven't tried to catch them yet. We will drain the pond in the spring and see what we get. I think we got them in March.

post-137315-0-30925700-1350478779_thumb.

• Like 1

Thanks for coming back and posting Jotham79.

Had a chat with the Boss about the various methods to Farm and catch the prawn you have there.

Thai name... กุ้งก้ามกราม (phonetically) Kûng k̂ām krām

Assuming that they are the same as we discuss in an earlier post #117

She said that they are not harvested in the traditional method using a light overnight and a 'one-way' net.

You have to either drain the water or deprive them of oxygen and they will walk out of the pond.

The goverment hatchery dumps them in local lakes and rivers and people usually go in and feel around for them. I would think they coud be trapped, but haven't tried it. We plan on draining the pond in the spring and will see what we get. The wife says they huge and she want to try to get them a large as possible. We expect that some will hit 300 gms or more. I have told her to try to get some more as we have a clean pond we could stock.

• 3 weeks later...

There are many good stories being told here ... just takes a bit of time to track them down.

Lastly ... if you want to read something completely nonsensical, with over 1,500 posts and not one post deleted and discover how this fine Lassie relates to Cricket.

post-104736-0-15025600-1339030211_thumb. How that < leads into this > post-104736-0-65688900-1339029966_thumb.

Come and chance your arm at Thailand needs Cricket

Everyone is welcome ... thumbsup.gif

-David 48-

Nice Thread giving a deeper insight of a special Farm. Keep the good work going.

Sorry, I could not read the Monster "Cricket" thread, 1.500 Posts? No,now 4.200+, not my kind of Sport also,

but I "Outing" myself,

SHRIMPS or CRICKET, whatever, that girl on the photo is a "Very Nice" one.

So, I do not know if and how she is really involved in that "Cricket Thread" wink.png, or is only a "decoy".

At least it caught me.smile.png

post-104736-0-65688900-1339029966_thumb.jpg

Mermaid?

LINK oben rechts, macht Foto groesser.wink.png

Edited by ALFREDO
  • Like 1

Maybe it is about time to establish a pinned topic on fish farming? Personally the images in this thread and the how to's on a few others is all much to valuable a source of information to have to keep "bumping" back onto the first page.

All that is needed is someone/s prepared to push it forward occasionally. Seems to me we may have just the right guy/s...

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

'ooray for prawns.

I never forgave Croc.. Dundee who said 'put another shrimp on the barbie"!

how crass.

Actually, shrimp is a small crustacean, not eaten by people. that explains the yanks a lot.

I'm from WA originally, raised a family in TAS, moved to the Gold Coast on return from teaching in Asia for 8 years.

'oo 'roo

adrian

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

https://th.wikipedia.org/wiki/กุ้งขาวAs for the type and price of the Prawns, I got an interesting response.

I asked her to write, in Thai, the name of the Prawn.

She wrote กุ้ง which Google Translate gives as 'shrimp'

OK, in English Honey, how say?

Vannamei shrimp

How you write that in Thai?

... กุ้งขาว which Google Translate gives as 'shrimp' rolleyes.gif ... go figure!

Probing a little further we get this conversation ...

we never call "Vannamei shrimp" we just say "Kung kwaw"

Kung Kwaw it is White Shrimp

Solved ... thumbsup.gif

sounds like it could be

http://www.fao.org/fishery/culturedspecies/Litopenaeus_vannamei/en#tcNA00FE

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiteleg_shrimp

and in thai you have to copy and paste the whole link into the browser https://th.wikipedia.org/wiki/กุ้งขาว

or try this one for the thai link http://tiny.cc/ab2kzw

links to other thai shrimp in thai at the end of the first paragraph at http://tiny.cc/qq2kzw

Edited by ttwitt

I suppose no story starts without knowing the cast.

So introducing Mother

attachicon.gif19022012433.JPG

She is the matriarch of the Farm

See here in the checked shirt.

And Father

attachicon.gif19022012445.JPG

Seen here supervising the unloading of the prawns at the Market.

Not a great photo, will post better when I get one.

Both incredibly hard working folk given that this is Thailand.

Agree with prawn. I thought shrimp and krill were the same little things that whales eat.

Prawns are bigger and people eat 'em.

'ooray for prawns.

I never forgave Croc.. Dundee who said 'put another shrimp on the barbie"!

how crass.

Actually, shrimp is a small crustacean, not eaten by people. that explains the yanks a lot.

I'm from WA originally, raised a family in TAS, moved to the Gold Coast on return from teaching in Asia for 8 years.

'oo 'roo

adrian

Prawns and shrimp are both decapod crustaceans i.e. that they have exoskeletons and 10 legs.

Prawns have lameller gills, side plates that overlap tile-like from front to back, and carry their eggs inside their bodies near their tales.

Shrimp have branching gills, a side plate that overlays segments in front and behind, and carry their eggs outside of their bodies beneath their tails.

In commercial farming and fisheries, the terms are often used interchangeably.

However, recent aquaculture literature increasingly uses the term "prawn" only for the freshwater forms of palaemonids and "shrimp" for the marine penaeids.

And yes both are eaten by people.

Edited by sjefrie

"Disease-hit Thai shrimp exporters plead for extension of EU tax privileges
The Nation July 3, 2013 1:00 am" http://nationmultimedia.com/business/Disease-hit-Thai-shrimp-exporters-plead-for-extens-30209587.html

and

http://www.fao.org/news/story/en/item/175416/icode/

"EMS affects two species of shrimp commonly raised around the world, the Giant Tiger Prawn (Penaeus monodon) and Whiteleg Shrimp (P. vannamei)."

anyone know why switching to another prawn species is not an option?

more similar at http://aquatichealth.net/taxonomy/term/835

Edited by ttwitt

"Disease-hit Thai shrimp exporters plead for extension of EU tax privileges

The Nation July 3, 2013 1:00 am" http://nationmultimedia.com/business/Disease-hit-Thai-shrimp-exporters-plead-for-extens-30209587.html

and

http://www.fao.org/news/story/en/item/175416/icode/

"EMS affects two species of shrimp commonly raised around the world, the Giant Tiger Prawn (Penaeus monodon) and Whiteleg Shrimp (P. vannamei)."

anyone know why switching to another prawn species is not an option?

more similar at http://aquatichealth.net/taxonomy/term/835

"Additionally, feed costs are generally less for P. vannamei than the more carnivorous P. monodon, due to their lower requirement for protein (18–35 percent compared to 36–42 percent)," http://www.fao.org/fishery/culturedspecies/Litopenaeus_vannamei/en#tcNA00FE

perhaps it is to do with this that the farmers are not so willing to switch away from P. vannamei to other species of prawn; could also be growth rates i guess?

Edited by ttwitt

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...