Safe Countries

opothai

thier seems to be a lot more crimes commited in countries now and yet years before the cimes were a lot lower.

thailand has got progressivly worse, where once it was qu

ite tranquil in comparison.

sigapore with its very strict laws is a lot safer.

england has deteriorated beyond recognition.

should we not alter and update the punishments to suit the crimes to enable the countries inhabitants to lead a safe life, say take a view every 5 years or so, as with the ever changing migration pattern of the worlds inhabitants are moving along at a faster pace than ever before.

i'll start by saying singapore has it right in the fact it is very safe

thailand is somewhere inbetween but deteriorating

england is in desperate need of an updated punishment system as we are the worse by far out of these three particular examples.

what is the remedy stricter [ like singapore ] or more understanding [ like england ] where do you see thailand in the next five years

thier seems to be a lot more crimes commited in countries now and yet years before the cimes were a lot lower.

Can you cite any statistics to support your perceptions? I don't want o come across as argumentative; I'd just like to better udnerstand your position.

Comparing a small, island/city/state with a population of ~ 6 million, that is relatively homogenous and propsperous, to larger countries like Thailand and the U.K. may not lead to the answers you seek? Singapore does have one of the highest execution rates in the world, relative to its population. Murder, treason, kidnapping and drug offenses all allow for (require?) the death penalty (gallows). Note that more than 50% of Singapore's executions are for drug offenses. And most Singaporeans in positions of authority would say that is why they have a low crime rate. Having a good economy, low unemployment rate, free access to an excellent educational system, access to health care, entitlements, etc. probably have little to do with a low crime rate. :o

I think many countries modify their laws, and punishments, regularly. New laws are enacted, old laws are repealed and associated punishments are increased, decreased or made mandatory.

Does anyone have crime rate figures for Thailand, Singapore, Britain and the U.S.A.?

For the U.S.A. I am under the impression that many violent crime (murder, robbery, assault, rape) rates have declined dramatically. Whether things like mandatory sentencing play a deterrent role in those figures is open to debate.

Singapore is hardly a homogeneous place--it's quite racially mixed (as well as religiously).

I remember reading recently that in the U.S.A. the murder rate is at a 40 year low. Most violent crime is down, with the exception of rape, which had risen slightly--laws on rape are more "restrictive" than before and may account for the rise.

sigapore with its very strict laws is a lot safer.

england has deteriorated beyond recognition.

should we not alter and update the punishments to suit the crimes to enable the countries inhabitants to lead a safe life, say take a view every 5 years or so, as with the ever changing migration pattern of the worlds inhabitants are moving along at a faster pace than ever before.

england is in desperate need of an updated punishment system as we are the worse by far out of these three particular examples.

what is the remedy stricter [ like singapore ] or more understanding [ like england ] where do you see thailand in the next five years

Singapore has had a 28% increase in crime up to mid 2005 compared to last year, mostly due to increases in burglary. Although of course they were starting at lower base figures than most countries. You are probably 30 times less likely to have your house broken into in Thailand than in the Uk or USA and even these statistics are distorted by the fact that some areas, which are tourist traps, attract most of the criminals. Thailand has a high murder rate however, probably due to lots of 16 year olds with home made guns, and plenty of professional hits. :D

Thailand has only slightly higher a percentage of prison inmates than the Uk, but 7 times less per 100,000 of population than USA. Strangely a very high percentage compared to the rest of the world are women. I recently saw that in 30 years at current rates of increase, every person in the USA will be either an inmate or working in a prison. Perhaps that's the way to go. :o

What makes you say this? Any sources, or just a personal speculation?

Deteriorating in what respect? More crimes, punishment not hard enough, or do you mean unsafer for its citizens because of the dismantling of human rights and tendency towards an authoritarian policestate?
I think this is being done as an ongoing process in most countries as government changes legislation to respond to situations?

Crime statistics: http://www.lib.umich.edu/govdocs/stsoc.html#crime

Statistics can be very misleading, for example Thailands prison population has a very high percentage of drug-offences. This doesn't mean there were less people involved with drugs 3 years ago than now, nor does it mean other crime rates in Thailand are much lower, it might simply be an effect of government policies during the last few years, i.e. fighting the drug trade has been a top priority.

Having a good economy, low unemployment rate, free access to an excellent educational system, access to health care, entitlements, etc. probably have little to do with a low crime rate. :o

And say hello to Dorothy while you are there :D

Having a good economy, low unemployment rate, free access to an excellent educational system, access to health care, entitlements, etc. probably have little to do with a low crime rate. :D

And say hello to Dorothy while you are there :D

:o:D:D

Law - Crime

During the 19th century, and most of the 20th, Britain enjoyed a well-deserved reputation as an unusually safe and crime-free nation, compared to the United States or continental Europe. No longer. Not surprisingly to many observers, the violent crime rate has risen dramatically and steadily since gun bans have been instituted. That's a trend seen wherever strict gun control laws have been implemented. And that's the part of the story British officials have tried to keep under wraps. A headline in the London Daily Telegraph back on April 1, 1996, said it all: "Crime Figures a Sham, Say Police." The story noted that "pressure to convince the public that police were winning the fight against crime had resulted in a long list of ruses to 'massage' statistics," and "the recorded crime level bore no resemblance to the actual amount of crime being committed." For example, where a series of homes were burgled, they were regularly recorded as one crime. If a burglar hit 15 or 20 flats, only one crime was added to the statistics. More recently, a 2000 report from the Inspectorate of Constabulary charges Britain's 43 police departments with systemic under-classification of crime – for example, by recording burglary as "vandalism." The report lays much of the blame on the police's desire to avoid the extra paperwork associated with more serious crimes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People living in England and Wales are at greater risk of falling victim to crime than citizens of most other industrialised nations, according to a study published yesterday. The International Crime Victims Survey, based on 34,000 telephone interviews across 17 countries, found that 26 per cent of people - more than one in four - in England and Wales had been victims of crime in 1999. The figure for Scotland was 23 per cent and in Northern Ireland 15 per cent. Jack Straw, the Home Secretary, said the research confirmed previous evidence "that levels of victimisation are higher than in most comparable countries for most categories of crime". Mr Straw said that although the police and other agencies were working hard to reduce crime, "no one should be under any illusions about the challenges ahead".

this is what is happening in the uk.

we now have ' no go areas all throughout the land

our laws are failing its people

i said in my earlier post thailand was deteriorating, with more and more crimes

zap you questioned that, i do not have any official figures or data to back that up it is only what i have seen over the past five years myself, and as it is getting worse to stop the situation you must have the appropriate detterents.

singapore and i can mention japan have some of the lowest crime rates per head per capita in the world, is this the law or is it the upbringing of the children.

we can cite poverty as a cause of crime but as my mother said manners and civility cost nothing.

You have not given the source of the two extracts from articles. :D

Since you have no 'official figures' to confirm your personal observations, isn't it premature to call for tightening of the law? And are 'deterrents' the best or only way to prevend crime? :o

My observation contrasts with yours, I have not observed any increase in crime, my impression is, that Thai law overall is adequate and if anything, more strict than what I am used to from Europe. It seems the implementation is best dscribed as 'erratic', convicted murderers walking away on bail, if the investigation ever reaches a verdict, known fathers not being held responsible to pay for their children etc.

So what good would laws with harsher punishment be, when they become another tool in the hands of authorities who use them in their own way and are suspect to judge according to principles not provided for by the law (influence, bribery, peer group pressure)?

if you read the post it will tell you yhat the figures and consencus come from

A headline in the London Daily Telegraph back on April 1, 1996, said it all: "Crime Figures a Sham, Say Police."

The International Crime Victims Survey, based on 34,000 telephone interviews across 17 countries, found that 26 per cent of people - more than one in four - in England and Wales had been victims of crime in 1999

the sourca of information is from a websitehttp:www.minbu.freeuk.com/crime.htm

// SEARCH ALL

FACTS & STATISTICS Advanced view

Search encyclopedia, statistics and forums:

Select Category Agriculture Crime Currency Democracy Disasters Economy Education Energy Environment Food Geography Government Health Identification Immigration Industry Internet Labor Language Lifestyle Media Military Mortality People Religion Sports Taxation Transportation (* = Graphable)

Select Crime StatAcquitted *Adults prosecuted *Assaults *Assault victims *Believe in police efficiency *Bribe payers index *Bribery victims *Burglaries *Car thefts *Convicted *Death penalty - Last executed *Drug offences *Embezzlements *Executions *Females prosecuted *Frauds *Illicit drugsJails *Judges and Magistrates *Kidnappings *Manslaughters *Murders *Murders with firearms *Perception of safety - Burglary *Perception of safety - Walking in dark *Police *Prisoners *Prisoners - Female *Prisoners - Foreign prisoners *Prisoners - Per capita *Prisoners - Pre-trial detainees *Prisoners - Share of prison capacity filled *Property crime victims *Rapes *Rape victims *Reporting to police *Robberies *Robbery victims *Software piracy losses *Software piracy rate *Suicide rates in ages 15-24 *Suicide rates in ages 25-34 *Suicide rates in ages 35-44 *Suicide rates in ages 45-54 *Suicide rates in ages 55-64 *Suicide rates in ages 65-74 *Suicide rates in ages above 75 *Total crimes *Total crime victims *Unpaid diplomatic parking fines *... more Crime stats

SOURCE

Seventh United Nations Survey of Crime Trends and Operations of Criminal Justice Systems, covering the period 1998 - 2000 (United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, Centre for International Crime Prevention)DEFINITION

Total recorded intentional homicides, completed. Crime statistics are often better indicators of prevalence of law enforcement and willingness to report crime, than actual prevalence.Stats > Crime > Murders

VIEW DATA: Totals Per capita

Definition Source Printable version

Bar Graph Pie Chart Map Correlations

Rank Country Amount (top to bottom)

#1 India 37,170

#2 Russia 28,904

#3 Colombia 26,539

#4 South Africa 21,995

#5 Mexico 13,829

#6 United States 12,658

#7 Venezuela 8,022

#8 Thailand 5,140

#9 Ukraine 4,418

#10 Indonesia 2,204

#11 Poland 2,170

#12 France 1,051

#13 Belarus 1,013

#14 Germany 960

#15 Korea, South 955

#16 Zimbabwe 912

#17 Jamaica 887

#18 United Kingdom 850

#19 Zambia 797

#20 Italy 746

#21 Yemen 697

#22 Japan 637

#23 Romania 560

#24 Malaysia 551

#25 Spain 494

#26 Canada 489

#27 Papua New Guinea 465

#28 Kyrgyzstan 413

#29 Lithuania 370

#30 Moldova 348

#31 Bulgaria 332

#32 Australia 302

#33 Portugal 247

#34 Costa Rica 245

#35 Georgia 239

#36 Latvia 238

#37 Chile 235

#38 Azerbaijan 226

#39 Hungary 205

#40 Netherlands 183

#41 Czech Republic 174

#42 Uruguay 154

#43 Finland 148

#44 Estonia 143

#45 Slovakia 143

#46 Armenia 127

#47 Tunisia 113

#48 Saudi Arabia 105

#49 Greece 81

#50 Switzerland 69

#51 Denmark 58

#53 Norway 49

#54 Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of 47

#55 New Zealand 45

#56 Ireland 38

#57 Hong Kong 38

#58 Slovenia 36

#59 Mauritius 26

#60 Seychelles 6

#61 Iceland 5

#62 Dominica 2

#63 Qatar 1

Total: 180,304

Weighted average: 2,908.1

DEFINITION: Total recorded intentional homicides, completed. Crime statistics are often better indicators of prevalence of law enforcement and willingness to report crime, than actual prevalence.

SOURCE: Seventh United Nations Survey of Crime Trends and Operations of Criminal Justice Systems, covering the period 1998 - 2000 (United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, Centre for International Crime Prevention)

and with the research on crime statistics singapore hardly get a mention anywhere: so i conclude they must have the correct detterents.

it is not so much about punishments. i would like to see prevention and that will only come with the appropriate deterrents

Edited by opothai

The ever-increasing income gap, globalisation and associated cultural crisis, as well as the increasing inability of the poor to sustain themselves in traditional ways. Crime often grows from need, greed, frustration and a breakdown of a solid identity.

Can be seen everywhere in the world. The challenge of the 21st Century, along with global warming. Is the answer to create 'happy' regulated robots? Seems to me it defeats the object of being human.

"the violent crime rate has risen dramatically and steadily since gun bans have been instituted" <-- AGENDA ALERT!

I don't pay much attention to daily news, so I'll assume that the UK has recently tightened gun laws, which no doubt upset the U.S. author.

Anyone who's actually lived in the UK will be aware that the gun laws were always strict compared to most countries, and the vast majority of households do not, and never had a gun, and would not want to. In the eight years I lived in the UK, I don't recall ever seeing a gun, or a gunshop.

Mugged at knifepoint, yes, like at least half the people I knew in Manchester. Never heard of a gun involved though.

"the violent crime rate has risen dramatically and steadily since gun bans have been instituted"  <-- AGENDA ALERT!

I don't pay much attention to daily news, so I'll assume that the UK has recently tightened gun laws, which no doubt upset the U.S. author.

Anyone who's actually lived in the UK will be aware that the gun laws were always strict compared to most countries, and the vast majority of households do not, and never had a gun, and would not want to. In the eight years I lived in the UK, I don't recall ever seeing a gun, or a gunshop.

Mugged at knifepoint, yes, like at least half the people I knew in Manchester. Never heard of a gun involved though.

Guns are in the UK and the infamous sawed off shotgun. (common misconception) I'm quite sure if you want to see a few we can recommend a few spots to try out. :o

A headline in the London Daily Telegraph back on April 1, 1996, said it all: "Crime Figures a Sham, Say Police."

This says nothing about a de- or increase in crime levels.

Neither does the listing you quoted. So your view of crime figures being on the increase is not supported by your references.

As you mentioned the UK, official statistics here: www.homeoffice.gov.uk, and here: www.crimestatistics.org.uk

If you trust these statistics, you'll find, for example, that "Violent crime has fallen by 36% since its peak in 1995 and has remained relatively stable since 2000." :o

and with the research on crime statistics singapore  hardly get a mention anywhere: so i conclude they must have the correct detterents.

it is not so much about punishments.  i would like to see prevention and that will only come with the appropriate deterrents

The stats you posted make no attempt at linking the prevelance of crime to the form or graveness of punishment, or 'deterrent', if you like. All you have here to support your "conclusion", is that Singapore isn't listed! :D:D

Also, I note that you have not picked up the other points I have made before.

"the violent crime rate has risen dramatically and steadily since gun bans have been instituted"  <-- AGENDA ALERT!

Guns are in the UK and the infamous sawed off shotgun. (common misconception) I'm quite sure if you want to see a few we can recommend a few spots to try out. :o

I'm not claiming they're non-existent, they simply are not involved in most UK crime, and were never relevant as a deterrent. (Which appears to be the original point.)

BTW I lived in Moss Side for a while...

tomac

guns were just happened to be mentioned on the piece of literature that i pasted, thats not really an issue with the point i am trying to raise here.

you lived on moss side very volatile place in the 80's and 90's, it seems the gun culture has moved to birmingham and nottingham now,

basically i do not want to populate this thread with statistics and quotes, the original idea from this topic was to see if thier was room for improvement in our legal systems.

with posting facts and figures, they are and will be distorted by governments to show a much rosier picture. in england they most certainly are.

zzap

as i have just mentioned above we can get plenty of evidence to show singapore is much safer and thier is less crime than thailand and england but why clog up the thread with the obvious.

if you read other threads on tv i'm sure you have seen the reports of murderers still at large that have been prosecuted and now on bail, drink drivers that get no punishment at all, the attemted murders by thai girls and men that are just pushed to one side. and the list can go on and on. so to my way of thinking the law is not protecting it's own people. without statistic my wife tels me that thailand is now more dangerous than sy 10 -15 years ago, that is from someone who lived in the coutry.

so the point of this topic is to get the correct detterents so we do not have to punish. obviously crimes will still be commited by the hard core but with the correct detterents in place it should stop a lot of off the cuff crimes.

guns were just happened to be mentioned on the piece of literature that i pasted, thats not really an issue with the point i am trying to raise here.

I agree, but...

the point of this topic is to get the correct detterents

... I don't think liberal gun laws are a deterrent.

Actually I don't think deterrents are the answer, at least not in the sense of legal systems and punishments. Being part of a close community, and risking disapproval and rejection from that community - that has been an effective deterrent in Thailand and most of the world until quite recently.

However since we're talking about different things, I'll bow out of the thread at this point. :o

zzap

as i have just mentioned above we can get plenty of evidence to show singapore is much safer and thier is less crime than thailand and england but why clog up the thread with the obvious.

if you read other threads on tv i'm sure you have seen the reports of murderers still at large that have been prosecuted and now on bail, drink drivers that get no punishment at all, the attemted murders by thai girls and men that are just pushed to one side. and the list can go on and on. so to my way of thinking the law is not protecting it's own people. without statistic my wife tels me that thailand is now more dangerous than sy 10 -15 years ago, that is from someone who lived in the coutry.

so the point of this topic is to get the correct detterents so we do not have to punish. obviously crimes will still be commited by the hard core but with the correct detterents in place it should stop a lot of off the cuff crimes.

I do not dispute that Singapore has less crime than the UK, but so far this is all you have to support your argument in favour of stronger "detterents"(btw, it's deterrents).

The statistics you posted, have done nothing to support your assumptions - i.e. that crime levels are rising, and that stronger punishment is the way to deterr folks from committing crimes. :D

The fact that Thai law isn't implemented uniformly (as I pointed out to you earlier) does not support your argument for stronger deterrents. The fact certain criminals remain at large, has nothing to do with a lack of severity by the law. The penalty for 'murder' is a death sentence. Please re-read my earlier comments. :D

And the topic title is "Safe Countries". Despite the many factors which might contribute to this, some have been mentioned already, you keep parroting the same point about "detterents". :D:o

Edited by zzap

The International Crime Victims Survey, based on 34,000 telephone interviews across 17 countries, found that 26 per cent of people - more than one in four - in England and Wales had been victims of crime in 1999

the sourca of information is from a websitehttp:www.minbu.freeuk.com/crime.htm

// SEARCH ALL

FACTS & STATISTICS    Advanced view

Search encyclopedia, statistics and forums: 

Select Category Agriculture Crime Currency Democracy Disasters Economy Education Energy Environment Food Geography Government Health Identification Immigration Industry Internet Labor Language Lifestyle Media Military Mortality People Religion Sports Taxation Transportation (* = Graphable) 

Select Crime StatAcquitted *Adults prosecuted *Assaults *Assault victims *Believe in police efficiency *Bribe payers index *Bribery victims *Burglaries *Car thefts *Convicted *Death penalty - Last executed *Drug offences *Embezzlements *Executions *Females prosecuted *Frauds *Illicit drugsJails *Judges and Magistrates *Kidnappings *Manslaughters *Murders *Murders with firearms *Perception of safety - Burglary *Perception of safety - Walking in dark *Police *Prisoners *Prisoners - Female *Prisoners - Foreign prisoners *Prisoners - Per capita *Prisoners - Pre-trial detainees *Prisoners - Share of prison capacity filled *Property crime victims *Rapes *Rape victims *Reporting to police *Robberies *Robbery victims *Software piracy losses *Software piracy rate *Suicide rates in ages 15-24 *Suicide rates in ages 25-34 *Suicide rates in ages 35-44 *Suicide rates in ages 45-54 *Suicide rates in ages 55-64 *Suicide rates in ages 65-74 *Suicide rates in ages above 75 *Total crimes *Total crime victims *Unpaid diplomatic parking fines *... more Crime stats   

SOURCE

Seventh United Nations Survey of Crime Trends and Operations of Criminal Justice Systems, covering the period 1998 - 2000 (United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, Centre for International Crime Prevention)DEFINITION

Total recorded intentional homicides, completed. Crime statistics are often better indicators of prevalence of law enforcement and willingness to report crime, than actual prevalence.Stats > Crime > Murders

VIEW DATA:    Totals    Per capita 

Definition    Source      Printable version   

Bar Graph    Pie Chart    Map    Correlations 

Rank  Country  Amount  (top to bottom)   

#1  India 37,170   

#2  Russia 28,904   

#3  Colombia 26,539   

#4  South Africa 21,995   

#5  Mexico 13,829   

#6  United States 12,658   

#7  Venezuela 8,022   

#8  Thailand 5,140   

#9  Ukraine 4,418   

#10  Indonesia 2,204   

#11  Poland 2,170   

#12  France 1,051   

#13  Belarus 1,013   

#14  Germany 960   

#15  Korea, South 955   

#16  Zimbabwe 912   

#17  Jamaica 887   

#18  United Kingdom 850   

#19  Zambia 797   

#20  Italy 746   

#21  Yemen 697   

#22  Japan 637   

#23  Romania 560   

#24  Malaysia 551   

#25  Spain 494   

#26  Canada 489   

#27  Papua New Guinea 465   

#28  Kyrgyzstan 413   

#29  Lithuania 370   

#30  Moldova 348   

#31  Bulgaria 332   

#32  Australia 302   

#33  Portugal 247   

#34  Costa Rica 245   

#35  Georgia 239   

#36  Latvia 238   

#37  Chile 235   

#38  Azerbaijan 226   

#39  Hungary 205   

#40  Netherlands 183   

#41  Czech Republic 174   

#42  Uruguay 154   

#43  Finland 148   

#44  Estonia 143   

#45  Slovakia 143   

#46  Armenia 127   

#47  Tunisia 113   

#48  Saudi Arabia 105   

#49  Greece 81   

#50  Switzerland 69   

#51  Denmark 58   

#53  Norway 49   

#54  Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of 47   

#55  New Zealand 45   

#56  Ireland 38   

#57  Hong Kong 38   

#58  Slovenia 36   

#59  Mauritius 26   

#60  Seychelles 6   

#61  Iceland 5   

#62  Dominica 2   

#63  Qatar 1   

DEFINITION: Total recorded intentional homicides, completed. Crime statistics are often better indicators of prevalence of law enforcement and willingness to report crime, than actual prevalence.

SOURCE: Seventh United Nations Survey of Crime Trends and Operations of Criminal Justice Systems, covering the period 1998 - 2000 (United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, Centre for International Crime Prevention)

and with the research on crime statistics singapore  hardly get a mention anywhere: so i conclude they must have the correct detterents.

it is not so much about punishments.  i would like to see prevention and that will only come with the appropriate deterrents

Quatar sounds great.

Can I get a John Smith`s and bacon sarny there :D

Come on....crime is getting worse everywhere.

1 Thing though..I feel safer walking anywhere in Thailand than my home town in the UK.

LOS :o

Edited by paulnuek

SOURCE

VIEW DATA:    Totals    Per capita 

Definition    Source      Printable version   

Bar Graph    Pie Chart    Map    Correlations 

Rank  Country  Amount  (top to bottom)   

#1  India 37,170   

#2  Russia 28,904   

#3  Colombia 26,539   

#4  South Africa 21,995   

#5  Mexico 13,829   

#6  United States 12,658   

If i am reading this properly, then #63Qatar had one intentional homicide,completed. There are over 200 countries in the world, so 140+ countries didn't have any. What is even more amaizing is that China isn't even on the list. You would think with over a billion in population, they would at least be equal to Qatar. :o

Yeah, a nation not featuring doesn't mean its safe, it might just be that they haven't published any crime figures.

Btw I haven't seen any evidence at all that "...crime is getting worse everywhere." In fact I have posted some info which seems to contradict this.