Thousands Of Thai Jobs At Risk As Firms Stay Closed

webfact

I was talking to a gentleman who lives in Udonthani who told me that many of the factories that were flooded are moving operations into the northern providences. He is a Thai born American citizen.

I don't know how much credence there is to his story though.

About 164,500 employees of flood-affected enterprises are at risk of losing their jobs this year as 284 firms have not yet reopened after last year's inundation, while the upcoming increase in the daily minimum wage could aggravate the situation

Hail red economy! Hail reconsiliation! We'll feed all of those jobless ppl by the very fresh, very tasty amended Constitution's pages!

sad.png

I thought the 300-Baht thingie had died in the _rse already.

"BANGKOK: -- About 164,500 employees of flood-affected enterprises are at risk of losing their jobs this year as 284 firms have not yet reopened after last year's inundation, while the upcoming increase in the daily minimum wage could aggravate the situation, according to a report by the Office of the National Economic and Social Development Board (NESDB).

Industries where there is a high possibility of downsizing are automobile manufacturing, office machinery, electronics, electronic appliances, textiles and garments, machinery, television and radio appliances, rubber, chemical products, plastics, household equipment and petrochemical goods."

Where does this guy get his info from, must dream it or guess, try driving around the big seven industrial estates that were flooded and he will see less than 10% are just starting to recover let alone production at 100%. Thailand is two years away from even beginning to recover and it will never reach 100% as many companies are 'relocating' to other countries. Wake up Thailand the glory days are over.

I guess "downsizing" could start from 100%, aka "insizing", and extend to 0% downsizing, aka "exsizing". That makes the above list pretty comprehensive and concerning, and it still does not include all the small enterprises, workers, tax-gatherers, and systems reliant on these larger industries.

in ayutthaya most of the big Rojana industrial plants , Honda, Canon etc are not operating and the April recommencing target date looks like its not going to be met.Many of the foreign companies are quietly moving away , of course that news is not out there for public consumption in the LoS

Edited by gay4who

in ayutthaya most of the big Rojana industrial plants , Honda, Canon etc are not operating and the April recommencing target date looks like its not going to be met.Many of the foreign companies are quietly moving away , of course that news is not out there for public consumption in the LoS

Of course not, in a country where they run to the police and cry defamation, nothing bad can ever be reported

yeah, i am still waiting for nestle to restart the production of my favorite ice coffee

maybe thailand can do as other RED nations in europe... increase the bureaucrazy, paperwork,.... more people working there = less efficient, but less people out of job

You may haven't noticed yet, there aren't any red nations in Europe anymore.

Even the Soviet Empire doesn't exist anymore

So what happens if we get another flood this year? In another post dam levels are to be kept relatively high for irrigation - which will give Thailand more over-subsidised and probably unsellable rice, while putting at higher risk its highly profitable manufacturing base.

Has la Nina finished her cycle and I didn't hear about it? If it's any guide, have a look at inland Queensland at the moment, plenty of flooding and heavy rainfall storms almost every week.

I was talking to a gentleman who lives in Udonthani who told me that many of the factories that were flooded are moving operations into the northern providences. He is a Thai born American citizen.

I don't know how much credence there is to his story though.

Thats great but there isnt any reliable transport infrastructure

So what happens if we get another flood this year? In another post dam levels are to be kept relatively high for irrigation - which will give Thailand more over-subsidised and probably unsellable rice, while putting at higher risk its highly profitable manufacturing base.

Has la Nina finished her cycle and I didn't hear about it? If it's any guide, have a look at inland Queensland at the moment, plenty of flooding and heavy rainfall storms almost every week.

and no relief in sight in Aus..........Nor in Thailands economic slide.

Flood-hit Japanese firms may quit Thailand: survey

BANGKOK, February 29, 2012 (AFP) - Almost one in 10 Japanese manufacturers with operations in Thailand plans to relocate out of the kingdom after last year's devastating floods, a survey showed Wednesday.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/537183-flood-hit-japanese-firms-may-quit-thailand-survey/

Edited by waza

Interesting, thousands of (Thai nationals) jobs at risk

Well the answer is simple let the Thai Immigration Police and the Thai Labor Department Investigators get off their dead asses and do their job and they can free up who knows how many jobs for Thais which are now held by ILLEGALS.

Just being observant i.e. I see a place were there are 23-illegals (Cambodians) occupying jobs that Thais, not should, but MUST, fill. There is even a Farang sitting in a job hundreds of Thais are qualified for. Supposedly he has a Work Permit. If that is the case, then that Work Permit is issued under false pretenses based on his country of origin the unemployment figure is ONLY 4.3% and these 4.3% are people without a Degree or Craft Diploma because people with the 2-mentioned item are in short supply in that country. Its more a case of the Khoa San Road Backpackers Heaven were the unemployed of the world hangout waiting to be picked up by a Thai Co. that pays below what is the norm for which Thais rightfully so are not interested in to work for. These outfits that pick up these Khoa San Road Backpackers are not your Mom and Pop Thai companies. They are looked up to Thai owned outfits who charge Western prices for what they offer Joe the public. If it isn’t one RIPPOFF in Thailand it’s another RIPPOFF.

Edited by metisdead
Font reset to default forum font, you know better than using different fonts!

Has the Aussies asked the Dutch for help yet?

Has the Aussies asked the Dutch for help yet?

In the last 110 years since nationhood, Australia has very rarely asked for anyone's help. The last that I can recall was during WWII was when the Japanese threatened and the pommies refused to allow our own soldiers to come home - an event which saw a marked change in Australia's allegiance. We do however normally accept help when offered, accepting it as a sign of friendship.

OTOH we do OFFER and GIVE a lot of help, mostly in the form of food aid, financial assistance and fighting other people's wars. Our own problems, we manage alone.

BTW the 2 large states (Qld and NSW) that the will experience flooding from this event are 7+ times the area of the Netherlands and ~25% the size of Europe. The Mercator Projection maps in general use show the Southern hemisphere at half size to the Northern.

NESDB: Most factories have recovered from flood

BANGKOK, 28 February 2012 (NNT) – Having recovered from the flood, most factories have resumed operations, except for the electronics and automotive groups which are awaiting new machinery installments.

National Economic and Social Development Board Secretary-General Arkom Termpitayapaisit disclosed that the Strategic Committee for Reconstruction and Future Development (SCRF) meeting, which focused on the progress of the industrial sector's recovery, found that 44% of the factories situated within industrial estates have begun manufacturing, whereas 78% of those outside industrial estates have also undergone full recovery. Most factories which still remain inactive belong to the electronics and automotive parts group as new machinery has yet to be installed.

Regarding the 4 billion-baht construction of floodwalls around industrial estates, the Ministry of Finance is set to propose that the cabinet provide funding for two-thirds of the total budget.

Additionally, Energy for Environment Director Seri Supharathit has forecast that the flood situation in 2012 will not be as severe as last year since there will be a small amount of rain until the end of the year. However, this will instead cause drought in the country. Consequently, he is prepared to discuss with the Strategic Committee for Water Resources Management (SCWRM) on plans to release water from the nation's main dams to assist farmers and prepare for possible drought.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-02-28 footer_n.gif