Do I Need The Faster Internet

pkspeaker

I have ADSL internet 1399฿ package, i use it for personal use, there is usually only 1 person using at any given time, I like to stream video including HD video and use a ps3 for multiplayer gaming.. if I were to down grade to the 800฿ option i'm wondering if there would be a big difference in those applications?

For live streaming of sports the cheaper option should give you no real problems. The same applies for most general surfing.

As far as online gaming goes that will depend on the games but I feel you may well suffer in that aspect.

A lot of live streaming and online gaming depends on the servers being used and how many people are using that service at any one time.

At times I cannot stream live sports in Thailand due to too many people being on a particualr server. Other servers there is no lag at all.

My son in the UK uses 50MB Virgin service and he suffers lag on some games he plays online due to the amount of people playing the games. On other games he has no lag at all because the game servers are massive.

Maybe we need a little more information on what live streaming you watch and what games you play online.

thx for the reply, I play NFS The Run.. a driving game and another driving game and i also have winning 11 a soccer game, the video sometimes youutube music and sports during football season

I cannot see those games servers having too much trouble. YouTube will have no problem neither will sports like football.

Why not talk to your service provider. Ask them to downgrade you and also ask if you can upgrade at any time in the future. That way you can check to see if your speeds are OK and if they are not, you can then upgrade back.

try the premium packges rather than faster, will give much better quality.

A good recommendation since a "premium" package selling point is usually higher international bandwidth. But premium plans can be pricey. Not uncommon for a premium package which has a much lower max/advertised speed to have superior international speed. Example: a 5Mb premium package could have much, much better international bandwidth compared to a 12Mb standard plan....the 5Mb premium plan just may give you 4 to 5Mb international speed where the 12Mb plan may only give 1 to 2Mb. While the 12Mb plan should give you 12Mb "local/in-Thailand" speed, it's international bandwidth could suck.

Additionally, from me reading a bunch of ThaiVisa post where creditable results have been posted (compared to faster-than-the-speed-of-light bogus results), it seems that there is no major "international bandwidth" difference between plans of 10Mb and higher....most of the plans seem to achieve 2 to 6Mb with ping/latency times in the 200-300ms for their international speeds/ping times to the US/Europe.

Results by plan and by Thailand location can vary greatly....your results may vary.