Central Shopping Plaza Ubon

elwood

Saw a report today (BP) regarding our upcoming Central Plaza. Apparently it is planned to open in April next year and is part of a development project to benefit from the Asean Economic Community in 2015.

The idea is to build plazas in border trade cities to attract traders and customers from neighbouring countries. Seeing as Central are no mugs at this game, we can expect plenty of Laos-registered vehicles trying to navigate Sapphasit Road on the wrong side!

This reminds me of some years ago in England when French and Belgians poured into Essex for shopping at the newly-opened giant malls, while Brits were doing daytrips to France for cheap booze.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I keep on hoping that Sizzler will appear in Ubon; maybe this time at the Central Plaza?

(Hope this doesn't start a flood of negative Sizzler comments, which would surely happen on the Pattaya or General forums!)

I keep on hoping that Sizzler will appear in Ubon; maybe this time at the Central Plaza?

(Hope this doesn't start a flood of negative Sizzler comments, which would surely happen on the Pattaya or General forums!)

Even though it is a chain I actually quite like Sizzler, it's easy and quite cheap. I guess the next best thing we have here currently is Jeffers in Sunee Mall (have you been there? It's hilarious, I ended up ordering two full set main courses and it still only cost me like 400 baht. Quality reminds me of a Filipino style joint).

Only thing I don't like about Sizzler is their no alcohol between 2pm and 5 policy as I always seem to get there at 2pm and cannot get a beer with my steak.

Jeffers? possibly the worst place ive ever eaten in in Thailand. all the staff are young, unfriendly and utterly incompetent. the worst carbonara ive ever had. christ, i could make it better than there.

Yeah, like I said it was so bad it was hilarious, I was starving and there were about 30 people in front of the queue for ShabuShi so we ducked into Jeffers instead as it was practically empty (always a good sign at lunch time). it was so cheap that I didnt really care how small the portions were. I thought the staff were really nice, menu looks good but the food was appalling. You live and learn. Walked past ShabuShi an hour later and they had only served two of the people in front of us so I probably would have starved to death if we'd waited.

Still getting to know Ubon so any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Still getting to know Ubon so any other suggestions would be appreciated.

If you are chasing a good hamburger go and try one at Peppers.

I agree about Jeffers, it is pretty awful stuff. When ever I am at Sunee, I tend to always end up at Fuji and always walk out satisfied.

Based on my rather sketchy knowledge of Ubon I gather from those posts that the new Central Mall will be on the road that leads out to HomeHub, is that right?

Those three links I gave you all say that the new mall is at the end of Sappasit road, where it hits the ring road. Can't get much better directions then that!!

Those three links I gave you all say that the new mall is at the end of Sappasit road, where it hits the ring road. Can't get much better directions then that!!

So everyone in the world knows the name of Sappasit road?? I just got to Ubon and don't use a map so my knowledge of everything here is still pretty poor.

I said where I'm guessing Central will be on the road out to HomeHub am I wrong?

You know what we are going to say, don't you? Use a map!!

Get a free one in the Tourist Office on ...... that road that turns left off th ..... aaagh I give up if you're not going to use a mapwai.gif

And yes, within a month of being in Ubon, everyone in the world knows where Sappasit Road is!!

Edited by SantiSuk
  • Like 1

Get a free one in the Tourist Office on ...... that road that turns left off th ..... aaagh I give up if you're not going to use a mapwai.gif

And yes, within a month of being in Ubon, everyone in the world knows where Sappasit Road is!!

There was a map in MeMock's link and I used GoogleMaps to make my guess of where I think it is, I was just asking for confirmation of whether I was right.

I live an hour away from the city, we just drive there, do our shopping, try to find somewhere nice to eat and then drive home. I think Sappasit Road is the main road with HomeMart on the right side that leads to that roundabout, and I think the Ring Road is the carriage way next to Big C with Makro on it, which is why I am guessing that Central will be on the corner of the road that leads off to HomeHub, am I right or not??

Hi Matt,

I think you are talking about Chang Sanit Road. That runs from the clock tower roundabout past Spagos restaurant and to the ring road.

Sappasit road has the main government hospital on it at one end and is called Sappasit Hospital. The new mall is at the other end of sappasit road where it hits highway 231 (the ring road). Very easy to find on google maps. It runs east and west to the main drag with Tesco on it (which is called Chayunkhun road)

Hi Matt,

I think you are talking about Chang Sanit Road. That runs from the clock tower roundabout past Spagos restaurant and to the ring road.

Sappasit road has the main government hospital on it at one end and is called Sappasit Hospital. The new mall is at the other end of sappasit road where it hits highway 231 (the ring road). Very easy to find on google maps. It runs east and west to the main drag with Tesco on it (which is called Chayunkhun road)

Thanks for the info. I will try to update my bearings when I drive to the city later today.

Cheers.

Even though it is a chain I actually quite like Sizzler, it's easy and quite cheap. I guess the next best thing we have here currently is Jeffers in Sunee Mall (have you been there? It's hilarious, I ended up ordering two full set main courses and it still only cost me like 400 baht. Quality reminds me of a Filipino style joint).

Only thing I don't like about Sizzler is their no alcohol between 2pm and 5 policy as I always seem to get there at 2pm and cannot get a beer with my steak.

Hello Matt,

We've always had decent meals and friendly service at Sizzler. Our granddaughter was introduced to it at 3 years old, and now, 10 years later, whenever we go to Bangkok or Pattaya she always looks forward to a meal. My wife usually orders a small main course and tucks in to the salad counter - she prefers the multi-choices there. But the fat farang manages to gorge on the starters and a main meal!

Matt, I should think that, when Central Plaza opens, you will have no trouble finding it; they will probably have several bloody great signposts along the ring road (231), and they will ensure that anyone who drives anywhere near will feel the urge to take a look!

They have a facebook page that shows floor plans etc. Looks like its going to be Ground floor for parking with levels 1, 2 and 3 for shops. The food park being located to the top floor. The main shops already typed on the plans are Tops, Robinsons and Home Works.

This is only a facebook page so i guess this info is not set in stone.

Anyway here's the link where it says you can follow their progress http://www.facebook.com/centralplazaubonfanpage?sk=info

Just back from Ubon

Hi Jay,

Glad you made it back in one piece! How was the trip? Must have changed a bit since you where last there. Did you get around to all the places you wanted to? Would love to read your thoughts about it all when you get a chance.

Just back from Ubon and the makro road out to homehub looks the likely place with a big area of land cleared and soil laid on the left hand side of the road. more info: also on the the following site:

http://www.skyscrape...=1400682&page=4

Great link! I thought the

was interesting. It said 1.8 million tourists? Really?

Tops, B2S, PowerBuy, SuperSport, Robinson. I wonder if Robinson on Chayangkhun will stay. I'm looking forward to more western food options at Tops.

Grand opening shows April 2013.

Edited by ubonrthai

Just back from Ubon

Hi Jay,

Glad you made it back in one piece! How was the trip? Must have changed a bit since you where last there. Did you get around to all the places you wanted to? Would love to read your thoughts about it all when you get a chance.

Hi Memock

Yes, great mate. The trip this time was well worth it and a much needed break for all the family. My youngest boy loved playing with his cousins and we had chance to visit some but not all the places planned. Ubon feels very much like it is moving on at a fast pace and you hear all sorts of talk locally about how it may be used as a hub for business across borders. Food in the supermarkets feels pricey due to a poor exchange rate THB/UK£ but that could be a reflection of how bad the UK is doing right now and not so much Thailand. Peppers has a great breakfast and I was blown away by the food at Spagos which we visited several times. I thought the Sunee shopping experience was great and they are jamming in the customers at weekends. Fuji and a few others inside were taking numbers for seating with a queue outside on the Saturday we visited. If someone had told me a few years back that would happen in Ubon I would not have believed that kind of a customer base was possible yet in the city but so far Sunee looks to be a big draw for the punters. If this is a sign of what's to come with Central Plaza then I think Ubon's really starting to take off. If correct I heard rumours of a new international airport by 2016 out of town on the road toward muang sam sip and a very large industrial zone planned for attracting business from Bangkok and possibly China. All good stuff if it happens and it is definitely not the sleepy city any longer when first visiting 10+ years ago for the first time. Just don't know when we will be able to venture back. Hopefully not too long before we return. A month passed by quick and I could have stayed much longer to explore. If there was one negative to take from the experience it was traffic around rush hours. The main chayangkul road in/out the city could soon be at full capacity in not so many years away and this will make travel around difficult and start to choke off the city if they don't have plans to alleviate it in some way. Tolerable now but maybe not so in future for people living there full time. Doing U-turns up and down that road become a pain in the ass some nights. Went to bigC for a few bits of shopping and collected a pizza for the kids which I timed at 1.5 hours door to door. 4 years ago that would have taken approx: 30 mins. That's what comes with progress I guess!

Jay

I think the surveyors were trying to figure out where to put the Sizzler the other day. I will be first in line when it opens. smile.png Will it be the ribs or the pepper pork? I'm not sure yet.

post-103222-0-92879300-1332071194_thumb.

Salad Bar with a couple of helpings of the soups, then a combo; never tried the ribs, will give them a go too!

Come on guys - we're in Thailand and we are the ones who are supposed to be roughing ot in the boonies.

Far too much excitement on here about another bleeding Western-style shopping outletbiggrin.png

• Like 1

Come on guys - we're in Thailand and we are the ones who are supposed to be roughing ot in the boonies.

Far too much excitement on here about another bleeding Western-style shopping outletbiggrin.png

But one more location to eat and drink beer................................licklips.gif .drunk.gif

I e-mailed Sizzler asking specifically about Ubon Ratchathani and got the following response. I e-mailed her again and will post if I get a reply.

"We will open Sizzler branch at Central Udonthani, 4th Fl.(not Ubon Ratchathani), opening date is this coming 27 March 2012.

See you there ka.

Regards,

Natty

Kirana Roekbangplad

Assistant Marketing Manager"

Still haven't heard back from McDonalds & Burger King. Anyone other places need contacted? :)

Edited by ubonrthai

• 3 weeks later...

After all the crap you gave me, it turns out that the first place I said Central was going to be IS where it is going to be. It's on the ring road out towards HomeHub when you turn off of the road that has HomeMart on it. Thanks for all the local knowledge and help.

But I still dont know which road is Sappasit!! :)

After all the crap you gave me, it turns out that the first place I said Central was going to be IS where it is going to be. It's on the ring road out towards HomeHub when you turn off of the road that has HomeMart on it. Thanks for all the local knowledge and help.

But I still dont know which road is Sappasit!! smile.png

Kun Matt's home address reads:

35/17, the street left off the roundabout,

the avenue between some two big shops,

On the road out of town,

Bewilderville.

No need for street names there coffee1.gif

Ubon's largest and government hospital. Now what was the name again?

From outside the main entrance, go west and you will eventually end up at the ring road.

I wonder if this helps? coffee1.gif