Koh Samed,Rayong National Park Fee

I walk up to the box with thb40 & slam it on the counter, they never question me. (I do have a licence but choose not to show them, my little bit of pleasure with these thieves) It is thb200 without a Thai licence as stated in this thread.

Koh Samet is still a nice place to chill out, great beaches, good food, good nightlife but for me 2 nights at a time is sufficient.

Cheers all

Yep, it's 200 bht for non thais and the taxi 2 the beachs are 50 % more expensive for non thais, but for me the scam is how they can call it a national park, IMo, this island been totallly spolit. there is hardly a patch of natural island left, yes the sand is clean, barring the 'sewage' stream thats pumped via the beach nto the water, every pce of waterfront is covered in ugly bars, nearly every bar plays loudish music. National park,you really are having a laugh!!!

Edited by rijit

I have a Thai-speaking friend who got in with his Thai gf at the Thai price when he sang them the Thai anthem in Thai. lol

As for the island being "spoiled" and so on. Yeah, it's definitely been built up in a less-than-perfect way...but I still love it there. It's gorgeous, who's kidding who!

If you take the ferry direct to Vong Duan beach, the police are standing there waiting for everybody to get off the boat. A scam for sure.

Are you saying no fee is payable whatsoever ?? Are Plod enforcing payments over and above what is payable ??

If you take the ferry direct to Vong Duan beach, the police are standing there waiting for everybody to get off the boat. A scam for sure.

Are you saying no fee is payable whatsoever ?? Are Plod enforcing payments over and above what is payable ??

No. Saying you can't avoid paying the 200B. They are standing there collecting the fee. But just the normal fee.

I've been there about 10 times over the past few years... I've only once been charged, I paid the Thai price (40B) when I told them I live here (I had my drivers licence but didn't need to show it).

If staying on the North side, you are outside the National Park and have no need to pay until you cross into the National Park.

If arriving on a speed boat onto a beach within the National Park you might be unlucky enough to encounter a Park attendant, these guys are relaxed enough if you have a Thai drivers licence.

It seems the National Park makes most of its money from the Songthaews loaded with tourists coming in from the main pier crossing into the National Park.

Its not a scam - National Parks are cheaper for Thai's who (theoretically) pay taxes which contribute towards the parks.

As a national Park, I agree its being exploited and developed in a highly profit based manner by those couldn't care less for the environment.

I've only ever payed 40 baht, and never showed ID. Usually I've been in a songtaew with a bunch of other foreigners (who all live/work in Thailand), and we just flash them one work ID and that's enough. But like someone else already said, when I take a speedboat directly to my hotel, I don't pay a park fee.

No. Saying you can't avoid paying the 200B. They are standing there collecting the fee. But just the normal fee.

So why have you mentioned a "scam for sure" ??