Sick To Be Called "Farang"

While we can't expect everybody to speak Thai, I think it would be wise to know what a word means before deciding it insults you.

It's notable that somebody took exception to me referring to my daughter as a Luek-Krueng. That's what she is. She is a Luek-Krueng/mixed race or whatever PC term you want to call it. A child born to parents of different races. So bloody what? What is wrong with that? What is wrong with referring to that?

I'm a white Englishman, I have stereo-typically bad teeth. OH NO, I'VE JUST INSULTED MYSELF. I fall under a larger bracket of white people from the West (and Oz, etc). Shock horror: The Thai's have their own language which has it's own word for white people from the West, that word is farang.

One assumes this forum is made up largely of adults, in which case, get a grip of yourselves.

Edited by Moonrakers
  • Like 1

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

While we can't expect everybody to speak Thai, I think it would be wise to know what a word means before deciding it insults you.

It's notable that somebody took exception to me referring to my daughter as a Luek-Krueng. That's what she is. She is a Luek-Krueng/mixed race or whatever PC term you want to call it. A child born to parents of different races. So bloody what? What is wrong with that? What is wrong with referring to that?

I'm a white Englishman, I have stereo-typically bad teeth. OH NO, I'VE JUST INSULTED MYSELF. I fall under a larger bracket of white people from the West (and Oz, etc). Shock horror: The Thai's have their own language which has it's own word for white people from the West, that word is farang.

One assumes this forum is made up largely of adults, in which case, get a grip of yourselves.

That's certainly one way to put it, but I agree with your sentiments. And if you ask enough of these ultra-sensitive farangs on TV, I'm sure there might actually be one or two who is offended by the term "luek-krueng." You ask them why and they won't have a clue.

The 'N' word? Seriously? I think you have just embarrassed yourself

Please enlighten me. Perhaps your ignorance can rival Kilgore....

Nah, mate - this is not about ignorance, this is about discussing a topic and the word 'nigger' was used as an example . . . why do you feel the need to call it 'the 'N' word' like some oversensitive seppo? No-one here was abusing the word . . .

Perhaps it is you who are ignorant

The 'N' word? Seriously? I think you have just embarrassed yourself

Please enlighten me. Perhaps your ignorance can rival Kilgore....

Nah, mate - this is not about ignorance, this is about discussing a topic and the word 'nigger' was used as an example . . . why do you feel the need to call it 'the 'N' word' like some oversensitive seppo? No-one here was abusing the word . . .

Perhaps it is you who are ignorant

I stand corrected--you do in fact exceed Kilgore in ignorance. If you'd notice that the post I referenced used the "N" word as such without actually spelling it out (kudos to you Kilgore). So you think that folks who don't come out and say the "N" word is somehow ignorant or overly sensitive? I could give you a pass, perhaps under the assumption that you're unfamiliar with the history of this word in America. But you're way too arrogant and bigoted to get a pass. Next time you're in the USA and see a group of young black dudes, go up and mention that word and see what happens.

You guys totally miss the point, I could not care less about the racist thing.. The reason why I dont like to be referred to as a farang is, I simply do not want be associated with some of the rude brits and russians. When a thai says, farangs are fat, rude, and like fotboll, I want to say, no, thats british people, not me

Edited by forumuser10

haha, now this is kinda funny, referring to what i just wrote above a few minutes ago, anyone witnessed the angry violent Brit attacking a black car on sukhumvit, close to soi 15?

He was probably on stereoids or something, he was totally angry and insane, he reminded me of a wild animal. He tried to grab the driver, but he could not reach him, so instead he started to land 4 heavy punches on the back window, I was waiting for the window to crack.

Anyone knows the story behind this incident? Why did the almost shaved headed fotboll hooligan Brit attack the car and the people inside the car?

and the sad story is, thais will just say, "it was a farang".

The incident happened like 20 minutes ago

Edited by forumuser10

haha, now this is kinda funny, referring to what i just wrote above a few minutes ago, anyone witnessed the angry violent Brit attacking a black car on sukhumvit, close to soi 15?

He was probably on stereoids or something, he was totally angry and insane, he reminded me of a wild animal. He tried to grab the driver, but he could not reach him, so instead he started to land 4 heavy punches on the back window, I was waiting for the window to crack.

Anyone knows the story behind this incident? Why did the almost shaved headed fotboll hooligan Brit attack the car and the people inside the car?

Maybe it was a taxi that wound its window down?

Maybe it was a taxi that wound its window down?

No, it was a regular car, black, but I get your point, hehe

The incident happened like 20 minutes ago

Maybe he tried some Moose piss, apparently it rots the brain and is the national favourite dish of some European country that boarders Norway and

Finland.

You guys totally miss the point, I could not care less about the racist thing.. The reason why I dont like to be referred to as a farang is, I simply do not want be associated with some of the rude brits and russians. When a thai says, farangs are fat, rude, and like fotboll, I want to say, no, thats british people, not me

I want to reply properly to this post but I am currently dumbfounded by your stupidity.

Regarding the topic of the word "Farang"; it is just a word to describe certain foreigners, if you are offended then it is entirely your own fault.

Infact being offended by anything at all is entirely your own fault, it is not just restricted to the word "Farang".

Edited by scottyd

Well as I am actually a woman, I think it is better then being called Mister..which is quite often. Or Kwai and Kee Nok which is what men are often called.

Sometimes I can get a bit tired of it and retort with KON THAI! KON THAI! back at the KON Thai who is making a point of identifying me as a foreigner. If you are a man and were always called Miss you might find Falang a better alternative.

Why you not call them Kon Dam, Kon Dam.

and here I am walking around with a shirt that says "Besaat Farang"...

sure? Besaat farang? Should it not be Isaat farang? farang animal..

Demon Guava!

I would say ai sut for dam_n animal. But that's the fun with romanizing Thai.

Sooo same thread, this time next month? Unless this one just lingers on of course.

many thais only get to meet farangs that are rude and obnoxious ,fat and drunken ,the people that hang around with prostitues in bars in tourist areas and go crazy when they get over charged for something

if we werent better educated and know otherwise ,we could say all black people eat fried chicken ,they hang around on porches ,drinking beer and playing basketball ,did i mention they are always criminals also ?

or even all asians are rice eaters ,with small dicks ,who cant speak english but can do karate and other martial arts and like to eat wing wongs ..........etc etc

put simply ,the farang the thai most usualy gets to meet are usualy the low level drunken sex tourists anyway ,so if they draw their assumptions based on what they have saw in pattaya ,in sukhumvit ,in phuket etc

• Like 2

many thais only get to meet farangs that are rude and obnoxious ,fat and drunken ,the people that hang around with prostitues in bars in tourist areas and go crazy when they get over charged for something

put simply ,the farang the thai most usualy gets to meet are usualy the low level drunken sex tourists anyway ,so if they draw their assumptions based on what they have saw in pattaya ,in sukhumvit ,in phuket etc

I don´t want to be associated with brits and russians

Next time you're in the USA and see a group of young black dudes, go up and mention that word and see what happens.

You simply didn't understand, did you . . . no surprise, really.

It is clearly you who doesn't get it. You really don't, do you? Beyond clueless, but let's just get back on topic. This is becoming tedious....

and here I am walking around with a shirt that says "Besaat Farang"...

sure? Besaat farang? Should it not be Isaat farang? farang animal..

ai sat

I think the Poster means ประสาท (Prasart) meaning crazy, but the shirt should read ฝรั่งประสาท (Farang Prasart), not the other way around.

Patrick

I don´t want to be associated with brits and russians

Too late. By droning on and on about it like a dog worrying a bone, all TVers will now associate you with a certain demographic.

• Like 1

Next time you're in the USA and see a group of young black dudes, go up and mention that word and see what happens.

You simply didn't understand, did you . . . no surprise, really.

It is clearly you who doesn't get it. You really don't, do you? Beyond clueless, but let's just get back on topic. This is becoming tedious....

kingofdenile.jpg